9 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

detail[1] (resized).jpg

#1 9 days ago

Does anyone have a video or some specific knowledge to share?

Specifically; I'm interested to find out how replacement Pop Caps are made for the early Bally Solid State popcaps.

Example:
    c/o MarcoSpecialties.com
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3713-44

I seem to vaguely recall watching an older video with an older gentleman hot stamping the top "design" on the the popcap.
    But I don't recall where I saw it... or if the video covered the triangular paint design. TBH; looking at some burn out caps here; I'm pretty sure they triangular pattern is applied with some kind of mask and some kind of spray paint because of the amount of overspray (seen in the corners) I've seen on these caps.

Does anyone know for sure?
    http://pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm seems to indicate the caps came in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Black.
    I'm pretty sure I saw at least one instance of a naked white cap with no art.

I'm sure it's a trade secret; but I wonder out loud who actual does the art on the game specific caps. I'm imagining a lot of work to replicate the art packages of all these games.

#2 9 days ago

I remember that video too--I think it was a tour video of PBR. They used some sort of colored film and a metal stamp is used for the graphics and text.

As for the ink on the outside ring, I'm not sure. I have seen overspray, so I'm guessing it's painted in some way, rather than stamped? Maybe the ink is added to the injection mold before the plastic is pushed in?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-tour-in-pictures-through-steve-youngs-pinball-resource

#3 9 days ago

You can't ink as the mold is injection molded. Pressures are too high, too hot. Has to be done after the fact

#4 9 days ago

Steve makes 95% of the pop bumper caps that Marcos sells, so Steve would be the person to ask about the manufacturing technique. I asked once if he could make Star Gazer caps with the hot stamped tops. Everyone was using generic blank top caps and adding decals. He said that he could do it but he’d have to create the tooling.

#5 9 days ago

Aside from decals that can be applied after the fact (which make sense for lower volume runs), other processes exist today to make this possible.

One process that could be used is a silicone stamping jig like so:

It allows you to conform to convex/concave objects as long as you get the scaling right on the ink pad before its transferred to the silicone stamp. Though it has to be perfectly straight and really only makes sense for larger volume runs. Aside from that, probably insanely cheap.

#6 9 days ago

Donal Murphy used to do the pop bumper caps who sadly passed away in 2013.(I think it was. Fell off a ladder)

This may be the video you were thinking of.

#7 8 days ago

What a great guy Donal was. Was fortunate that he and his wife visited Australia a few years before he passed. Met up for a dinner on Sydney Harbour and he was full of great stories.

#8 8 days ago

the sides triangles are pad printed, the design is Hot Stamped, Classic Arcades Jeff does them all for PPS inc Drop Targets

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside