Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled.png
1102142243.jpg
1102142240a.jpg
1102142259a.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Both the Outhole and one of the Pop Bumpers don't work on my Silverball Mania, however both of the switches register. Any suggestions?

#2 9 years ago

Do you have voltage at those coils?

#3 9 years ago

Forgot to add, the solder joints are good too.

Quoted from vid1900:Do you have voltage at those coils?

I have not tested yet. What do I set my multimeter to?

#4 9 years ago

DC Volts.

#5 9 years ago

Ok, how do I measure? I had my meter on DCV and put the black lead to ground and when I put the red lead on, I got a small spark. Now fuse F4 is blown...

#6 9 years ago

Meter on DC Volts (if you don't have an auto-range meter, set it on 50-100v).

Put the black lead on ground (like the ground braid or the metal side rails)

Put the red lead on either terminal of the coil.

Look for about 43 volts.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Meter on DC Volts (if you don't have an auto-range meter, set it on 50-100v).
Put the black lead on ground (like the ground braid or the metal side rails)
Put the red lead on either terminal of the coil.
Look for about 43 volts.

Thats exactly what I did except for I had the DCV on my multimeter set higher.

#8 9 years ago

Very odd, maybe the knob on the meter was between the dents.

We know the power supply is delivering 43v or you would not get the 7th flash on the MPU and the game would not boot into attract mode.

Put in a new fuse and try touching the coil lug with the NON BANDED SIDE OF THE DIODE to ground with a piece of wire.

This should fire the coil, assuming it has power.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Very odd, maybe the knob on the meter was between the dents.
We know the power supply is delivering 43v or you would not get the 7th flash on the MPU and the game would not boot into attract mode.
Put in a new fuse and try touching the coil lug with the NON BANDED SIDE OF THE DIODE to ground with a piece of wire.
This should fire the coil, assuming it has power.

Ok, Ill try that.

#10 9 years ago

Very Odd it almost sounds like he has the meter set up for DCA. May i ask what meter you are using . Picture would be great. This i gotta see.

#11 9 years ago

This is exactly how my meter was set up.

1102142259a.jpg1102142259a.jpg
#12 9 years ago

Here are a couple pictures of suspect things I noticed in the backbox.

1102142240a.jpg1102142240a.jpg 1102142243.jpg1102142243.jpg
#13 9 years ago

yes your red lead is in the 10A DC spot. You need to move red lead down one hole. so that you are in the V/ ohm/ mA area. You will want to leave it in that hole almost ALL of the time.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

yes your red lead is in the 10A DC spot. You need to move red lead down one hole. so that you are in the V/ ohm/ mA area. You will want to leave it in that hole almost ALL of the time.</blockquote
Ok, I moved the red lead into the correct hole and I got voltage at the coil. Thanks for your help.

#15 9 years ago

Great now you see the diode symbol to the left of the hfe setting. That is for testing diodes. If you find a switch diode and connect red to the unbanded side, black on the banded side. You should get .4-.7V reverse the leads you will get nothing (open or OL). Diode checking is important and useful in pin repair. Note the diodes on a coil can NOT be checked with out at least one side of the diode being removed, as they are connected in parallel with the coil which to the meter is just a short.

OK now back to your problem.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Great now you see the diode symbol to the left of the hfe setting. That is for testing diodes. If you find a switch diode and connect red to the unbanded side, black on the banded side. You should get .4-.7V reverse the leads you will get nothing (open or OL). Diode checking is important and useful in pin repair. Note the diodes on a coil can NOT be checked with out at least one side of the diode being removed, as they are connected in parallel with the coil which to the meter is just a short.
OK now back to your problem.

So I need to test the diode?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

So I need to test the diode?

No i was just trying to give ya a little meter training and get you used to your meter.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

No i was just trying to give ya a little meter training and get you used to your meter.

Ah ok. Where should I go next, now that there ks voltage at the coil?

#19 9 years ago

Well i would first go into diagnostic solenoid mode. Where it cycles through each of the solenoids and see if they fire. Then with the ball out in the shooter lane take out ball(S) ? and go into switch test make sure all the switches report back correctly.

I did not want to take over the trouble shooting as Vid is the expert. I always just peruse the tech stuff and Bally in particular now as i just recently have my first one.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well i would first go into diagnostic solenoid mode. Where it cycles through each of the solenoids and see if they fire. Then with the ball out in the shooter lane take out ball(S) ? and go into switch test make sure all the switches report back correctly.
I did not want to take over the trouble shooting as Vid is the expert. I always just peruse the tech stuff and Bally in particular now as i just recently have my first one.

Thanks for the advice, but as of right now I have no displays. I can try and throw in my rottendog from my other bally,

#21 9 years ago

Oh yeah that is tough to trouble shoot with out the displays. That need fixing first!

#22 9 years ago

Crap! So I swapped my new rottendog board in and the displays, outhole kicker, and pop bumper worked fine. After a short while they stopped again. Then I went to put the Rottendog board back in my other bally, and now I don't get any displays at all. Please tell me I didn't fry my new board.

#23 9 years ago

Is fuse F1 blown on the Rottendog?

#24 9 years ago

Looked at it, and it loked ok but I havent tested yet.

#25 9 years ago

Tested F1, seems ok... nothing obviously burnt on the board...

#26 9 years ago

I'm thinking you have some cabling issues on both games. At least from the pics in the thread, you have pins pushing out of connectors and burned connector housings. Have you repinned any of the connectors in these games?

Untitled.pngUntitled.png
#27 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I'm thinking you have some cabling issues on both games. At least from the pics in the thread, you have pins pushing out of connectors and burned connector housings. Have you repinned any of the connectors in these games?

Untitled.png 636 KB

I have not. I saw the one that you pictured, and It does need to be redone. However, on the Fireball, the displays were just fine. The I put the board in the Silverball Mania and everything worked for a couple of minutes and then it stopped. Now I don't get any displays on the Fireball, where the Rottendog originally came from.

#29 9 years ago

yeah that is one thing i do not like to do, swapping boards in a game with issues could very well damage another board. But this Rottendog board came out of a game with no display issue then you put it into a game that has display issues and you put it back in original game and it now also has display issues. Yes it sounds like a strong possibility that you whacked your good board.

oh and PM sent.

#30 9 years ago

Ok, with the help of CNKay, we found that the small fuse on the driver board was blown. This is why the displays are not coming on. Also the most suspect thing for the outhole kicker and pop bumper seems to be the transistors.

#31 9 years ago

Ok, I replaced trasnsitors Q4 and Q8 with TIP102 and the pop and outhole still don't work.

#32 9 years ago

take a jumper wire attach to gnd and other end of wire touch the metal tab on the transistors you just replaced solenoid should fire. this is checking the wiring from the coil to the driver board.

#33 9 years ago

Ground on the board or like the ground braid?

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Ground on the board or like the ground braid?

Either, ground should all be at the same.

#35 9 years ago

Grounded each of the transistors and both of them caused the coils to fire.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Grounded each of the transistors and both of them caused the coils to fire.

Excellent.

So that test tells you that

1. Your coils are good.

2. Your coils have power.

3. Your wiring and connections from the coil to the driver board are all good.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Excellent.
So that test tells you that
1. Your coils are good.
2. Your coils have power.
3. Your wiring and connections from the coil to the driver board are all good.

Great! Where to next? Thanks for everyone's help

#38 9 years ago

Well i think the U1 and U3 ic would be next to replace those are the predrive ic and there really is nothing else.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well i think the U1 and U3 ic would be next to replace those are the predrive ic and there really is nothing else.

Ok, that's not something that I can do. Are you able to do it? If not, I have a guy that I have sent boards to before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 169.00
$ 179.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-and-outhole-kicker-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.