• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DVM1-L.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hello,

I have a pop bumper on my BTTF that I noticed had one of the wires intentionally cut. I re-soldered it and and it fires without stop and buzzes. I have disconnected it for now. I checked the boards for any black marks and there are none.

Also, none of the bulbs will light on any of the 3 pop bumpers.

Let me know what I need to do.

Thanks,

Jeremy

#2 11 years ago

Since it was cut, I doubt this is the issue, but first make sure the pop bumper switch is not stuck closed. Check the manual and you should be able to get the driver transistor number. Check it with a DMM using the following procedure.

If you can't find the transistor number just let us know which bumper it is and someone can respond.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials-and-techniques/120-electronics-tutorial-2-transistors

#3 11 years ago

Page 41 in the manual (ipdb.org) has the special solenoid info.

#4 11 years ago

It's the left bumper. I have the manual but page 41 doesn't make any sense to me.

With the DMM should I power on the machine and connect the black to ground and the red to each transistor? The transistors are the black squares with the silver part coming out of the top with the hole in it right?

#5 11 years ago

The transistor you need to check is Q11 on the CPU board. Should be very close to connector CN19. The article I previously referenced will provide a more thorough explanation of testing transistors than I can cover here.

But in any case you will do the tests with the power off.

Quoted from treibj:

The transistors are the black squares with the silver part coming out of the top with the hole in it right?

Yes

#6 11 years ago

Black lead on tab (ground) red on top leg, then red on bottom lead (colector, emiter) .4 to .6 on both legs should be seen. Anything less, transistor is bad. Doubt the transistor is bad, however, because your bumper coil is still firing. If the transistor blew "open", it would not do anything. Sounds like a mis-adjusted switch like terryb said. PLEASE REPORT BACK WITH YOUR FIX AS THIS HELPS EVERYONE!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Black lead on tab (ground) red on top leg, then red on bottom lead (colector, emiter) .4 to .6 on both legs should be seen. Anything less, transistor is bad. Doubt the transistor is bad, however, because your bumper coil is still firing. If the transistor blew "open", it would not do anything. Sounds like a mis-adjusted switch like terryb said. PLEASE REPORT BACK WITH YOUR FIX AS THIS HELPS EVERYONE!

I would have thought the most likely problem would be that the transistor is shorted and thus the coil fires on all the time.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I would have thought the most likely problem would be that the transistor is shorted and thus the coil fires on all the time.

That is a possibility. thanks.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

DMM in diode test setting.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Since it was cut, I doubt this is the issue, but first make sure the pop bumper switch is not stuck closed. Check the manual and you should be able to get the driver transistor number. Check it with a DMM using the following procedure.
If you can't find the transistor number just let us know which bumper it is and someone can respond.
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials-and-techniques/120-electronics-tutorial-2-transistors

Terry, you're the man! These articles you wrote are worth their weight in gold. You've helped me out in the past and I always see you somewhere on this forum helping others. Just wanted to throw you a shout out! Thanks!

Mike

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

These articles you wrote are worth their weight in gold.

Not to be a smart ass....but to be a smart ass, those articles are digital files that weigh nothing.

Seriously though, I also have learned quite a bit from the pinballrehab articles. Thanks!!

#12 11 years ago

I tested all of the transistors on that side. All of them read at .4 except for Q10 and Q13 which were 0.

The other 2 pop bumpers work fine except that none of them light up.

I REALLY appreciate all of your posts. Let me know what I should do next.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Not to be a smart ass....but to be a smart ass, those articles are digital files that weigh nothing.

Nonsense! Electrons piled onto a magnetic disk to create a charge weigh something. Google it, electrons weigh approximately .00000000000000000000000000000091kg. Now whether or not the billions of electrons weigh as much as an atom of gold, that's possible. Since an atom of gold weighs .0000000000000000000032706kg, and a bit on the server disk takes so many millions of electrons, it is certainly worth its weight in gold!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from treibj:

I tested all of the transistors on that side. All of them read at .4 except for Q10 and Q13 which were 0.
The other 2 pop bumpers work fine except that none of them light up.
I REALLY appreciate all of your posts. Let me know what I should do next.

Zero as in ohms? If so it sounds like the transistors need to be replaced.
I am not sure how you are testing.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Zero as in ohms? If so it sounds like the transistors need to be replaced.
I am not sure how you are testing.

I have my DMM on DCV 20 and it gives a .4 reading for all transistors in that row except Q10 and Q13. Where can I order some transistors if that is the issue?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from treibj:

I have my DMM on DCV 20 and it gives a .4 reading for all transistors in that row except Q10 and Q13. Where can I order some transistors if that is the issue?

In the manual Q10 is a slingshot and I don't see what Q13 is. Both of my slingshots work fine.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from treibj:

I have my DMM on DCV 20 and it gives a .4 reading for all transistors in that row except Q10 and Q13.

Game should be off and DMM in diode/continuity mode.

#18 11 years ago

This is the DMM I'm using. I'm not sure what diode/continuity mode would be. I turned it to the settings on the left with the ohm symbol and Q10 is the only one with a reading, the rest come up as 1.

Let me know if I am doing this right. Thanks for your patience.

DVM1-L.JPGDVM1-L.JPG

#19 11 years ago

Exactly 180 degrees from where the knob is in the picture is diode mode.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Exactly 180 degrees from where the knob is in the picture is diode mode.

Thank you!

Q11 comes up as 038 while all others in that row are 1. Q11 is the problem bumper. Should I replace the transistor? Where would I get one online (locally we have a Radio Shack)?

#21 11 years ago

Seeing I just happen to have Back to The Future manual open.....

That would be a TIP122, Rat Shack 'may' have those, most online place will have those but shipping will cost you 20x the price of the part. It's a fairly common part. Maybe a local Pinsider has a stash, otherwise Ed from Great Plains has them..
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=tip122&sprice=&stype=&scat=

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Seeing I just happen to have Back to the Future manual open.....
That would be a TIP122, Rat Shack 'may' have those, most online place will have those but shipping will cost you 20x the price of the part. It's a fairly common part. Maybe a local Pinsider has a stash, otherwise Ed from Great Plains has them..
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=tip122&sprice=&stype=&scat=

Will a TIP120 work? Radio Shack has them in stock locally for $1.99. If not I'll order the TIP122 from greatplains.

#23 11 years ago

If you look at the Great Plains link,,, 'Replaces TIP120 and TIP121' so yes, but 122's are rated at 100V, 120's only 60V. Sol power in a DE is +32/+50V depending on specific coil so your not leaving a lot of wiggle room. It won't be as reliable.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

If you look at the Great Plains link,,, 'Replaces TIP120 and TIP121' so yes, but 122's are rated at 100V, 120's only 60V. Sol power in a DE is +32/+50V depending on specific coil so your not leaving a lot of wiggle room. It won't be as reliable.

I'm not in a rush. I'll order from Great Plains. Thanks again for the help (everyone). I'll update this thread when the TIP122 comes in.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Nonsense! Electrons piled onto a magnetic disk to create a charge weigh something. Google it, electrons weigh approximately .00000000000000000000000000000091kg. Now whether or not the billions of electrons weigh as much as an atom of gold, that's possible. Since an atom of gold weighs .0000000000000000000032706kg, and a bit on the server disk takes so many millions of electrons, it is certainly worth its weight in gold!

I hadn't thought of it that way!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from treibj:

I'm not in a rush. I'll order from Great Plains. Thanks again for the help (everyone). I'll update this thread when the TIP122 comes in.

May as well order a few. Also grab a few other common parts like 1N4004 diodes.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Thank you Crash...took the words right out of my mouth....

Mike

1 week later
#28 11 years ago

Tried to replace the transistors on the MPU without any luck. Ended up buying a Rottendog MPU which works great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-always-on-and-buzzing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.