You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hiresCT_(resized).jpg
hiresNS_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160113_173343_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I've been playing my Pop-A-Card quite a bit lately, and I just can't ever seem to hit the drop target I'm aiming for. So many times I've just gotta take down one more target before I can start nailing the bullseye for all those glorious extra balls...no dice! The ball will even kiss the target, but lacking just enough force to fell it. No matter what I do, I can rarely ever hit that target! Adding insult to injury, many times I'll even miss all 3 targets remaining in a bank of four, by flipping the ball at the empty space left by the single downed target. Example: 2-3-4-5 targets on the left drop target bank, 3 target is down. I'll trap the ball on the right flipper (miraculously, considering with the non-existent inlanes), then shoot--and here's what happens: 2-O-3-4 (O is representing the ball I just flipped) No targets hit, ball gets vacuumed down either of the spacious outlanes. I've tried re-leveling the legs every which way, put on 3" flippers, still! I can't ever seem to hit the targets I need to hit! I've decided to blame the game. Any suggestions, from a technical standpoint? Flippers are plenty strong, all targets score and reset properly. Is there a jones plug adjustment that might make me a better player?

IMG_20160113_173343_(resized).jpgIMG_20160113_173343_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

That's part of what's fun and frustrating about Pop-A-Card. It's so hard to set up your shots. The challenge is what makes it addicting. Often times you have better luck dropping certain targets off of the slings.

#3 8 years ago

Agreed! It just drives me nuts!

#4 8 years ago

Make sure the coin mechs work, charge yourself $0.50/game, and try again. Eventually there'll be enough in the coin box to either take some lessons or buy an alternate game. Problem solved.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

put on 3" flippers, still! I can't ever seem to hit the targets I need to hit! I've decided to blame the game. Any suggestions, from a technical standpoint? Flippers are plenty strong, all targets score and reset properly. Is there a jones plug adjustment that might make me a better player?

Really?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from emguy:

Make sure the coin mechs work, charge yourself $0.50/game, and try again. Eventually there'll be enough in the coin box to either take some lessons or buy an alternate game. Problem solved.

Hahaha yes!!!! I might actually try that! I want to save for a new game anyway, what better way to go about it? (Pop-a-Card isn't going anywhere, btw)

#7 8 years ago

Double ring the original flippers for more of a centered hit on the ball.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

I'll try that!

#9 8 years ago

Leave the two inch flippers on the game and learn to control them better.

#10 8 years ago

The 10 and A at the top center bank are protected by the pops; so it's hard to get those directly from the flippers. But luckily it's a single player so all the banks don't reset after each ball. I have people that come over and spend all evening trying just to beat the high score on that one game...it's addictive.

#11 8 years ago

You have to get the ball on the flipper at just the right place in order to get the 10 and Ace with a flipper shot. Very, very exacting. If you're off just a touch you'll hit the pops.

I just sold my DAC. It was a nice game, and getting them all down was challenging, but the problem was, once you had them all down, there was nothing to do. Try to shoot between the pops and the upper side rollovers to get specials and run up the score. I liked it, I spend a ton of time restoring it, but to me not resetting the targets and making them part of the special like Atlantis was a real flaw in the game.

Beautiful artwork though.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I just sold my DAC. It was a nice game, and getting them all down was challenging, but the problem was, once you had them all down, there was nothing to do.

That's why PAC is more fun than DAC. But they play differently enough that they are both fun in their own way.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

That's why PAC is more fun than DAC. But they play differently enough that they are both fun in their own way.

As much as I have tried, I've just never been able to really enjoy AAB games. I'm sure, being from WI, you grew up on them, but truthfully I had never even seen one until I visited the PHOF.

In this case, having never played PAC, I'd still agree because it's just a flaw in the game that kept it from being something much better.

#14 8 years ago

It's interesting that all my single player games are AAB, Pop-A-card, Subway and Super Star (convertible). I like the AAB; but in my case, I've never played the replay versions.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'm sure, being from WI, you grew up on them.

I played pinball a bit when I was a kid. Outside of Grand Prix I have no real memory of specific games or AAB vs replay. It's often argued that nostalgia plays a big part in what we like to play. That hasn't been a real driving factor for me.

I had both DAC and PAC around the same time and much preferred PAC. Sorry getting off topic...

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I played pinball a bit when I was a kid. Outside of Grand Prix I have no real memory of specific games or AAB vs replay. It's often argued that nostalgia plays a big part in what we like to play. That hasn't been a real driving factor for me.
I had both DAC and PAC around the same time and much preferred PAC. Sorry getting off topic...

Nostalgia definitely plays a big role. I grew up on EMs, replay games, and I quit playing pinball for the most part in the mid 80s, so once we got past games like Firepower and Flash Gordon, I'm totally out of it.

I have played some DMD games and I appreciate the technology, but they're just not for me.

#17 8 years ago

Nostalgia was a factor... at one time.

#18 8 years ago

PAC is the 2 inch version of Capt Card - kind of. And CC is my fav AAB game so far.

As for making it easier, check all the posts are on liberal settings.

#19 8 years ago

I'm pleased to say my luck (and perhaps even skill) has improved since posting this originally. In fact, I've been inspired to fix the game up a bit. I just cleaned and waxed the playfield (omg, easiest shop job ever!)... Replaced some lights, fixed a couple switches that needed adjusting. Gonna put on some new rubber and a new ball, and this thing's probably gonna kick my ass even more aggressively than before! I do like a challenge, guess that's why it's stayed in my collection for as long as it has!

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

No, not on those flippers. You should double rubber the older, rounded top 2" flippers, but not the flat top ones. They were designed and molded for the modern 1 1/16" pinball so they should have only one rubber ring installed.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

No, not on those flippers. You should double rubber the older, rounded top 2" flippers, but not the flat top ones. They were designed and molded for the modern 1 1/16" pinball so they should have only one rubber ring installed.

Define "modern."

According to Steve Young, and PBR's website, balls of this size have been used since around 1950. Flippers were only put on games in 1947. The flat top flipper bats came about in the late 60s. The round top flippers were used as long as they made two inch games.

Also according to Steve, there is no reason to double ring any flipper. I specifically asked him this question and he said, as only Steve can, "That's wrong." And also, his ring kits do not contain extra rubbers to do double ringing.

#22 8 years ago

Yes, standard ball. As far as the double rings, about 15 years ago it was a suggestion back when we had Team-EM on RGP and I knew quite a few people in the hobby that were doing it for a more centered hit on the ball. It was just a suggestion to try for op not pinball law.
: )

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Define "modern."
According to Steve Young, and PBR's website, balls of this size have been used since around 1950. Flippers were only put on games in 1947. The flat top flipper bats came about in the late 60s. The round top flippers were used as long as they made two inch games.
Also according to Steve, there is no reason to double ring any flipper. I specifically asked him this question and he said, as only Steve can, "That's wrong." And also, his ring kits do not contain extra rubbers to do double ringing.

The tooling for the rounded top flippers was made when the original games used the 1 1/8" ball, so even though the smaller ball was used, the flippers didn't change until they corrected it with the flat top 2" style. Steve maybe thought you were asking about the flat top 2" flippers. And if you get a Kings & Queens ring kit from him, it includes two rings for each flipper. And the double rings on the flippers are clearly seen on the Gottlieb flyers from the late 50's through the change to the flat top. The factory double ringed, there's no doubt about it.

And if you ever change the flipper bushings on the old 2" flipper games to use the new flipper bushings, the flipper shoe will sit a bit higher, since the newer flipper bushings are a bit taller above the playfield to prevent flipper drag. So without the double rings, an even more downward stroke hits the ball. That's a bad thing.

Double-ring those round top 2" flippers. Flat tops are fine with single rings.

#24 8 years ago

Steve knew exactly what I was asking about, because I told him the game I was working on, and it had round top 2 inch flippers.

It's interesting, I view the flyers in IPDB for many games and it doesn't appear clear at all to me that they have double rings on them. In fact, on many when I blow them up, all I see is a single ring. And it's also interesting that when I played all those two inch round top flipper games back in the 60s, I certainly don't remember ever seeing the flippers double ringed.

I guess in the end it really doesn't matter much, but I'm going with what Steve told me, plus the fact that the flippers are grooved for one ring.

#25 8 years ago

A lot easier to see @600dpi. But clearly double ringed by Gottlieb, no doubt. Many, many examples of this, but here are two (North Star, Cross Town).

The flippers are grooved for only one ring because the tooling was made for 1 1/8" balls and not changed.

hiresNS_(resized).jpghiresNS_(resized).jpg

hiresCT_(resized).jpghiresCT_(resized).jpg

#26 8 years ago

I'll just say this and I'm going to bow out of this because I'm not going to change my mind, and neither are you.

But if you look on IPDB at the pictures of many, many games, there are a lot of pictures of two inch games, contributed by well known guys, that only have one ring on the flipper. I just don't think it's worth an argument and so I won't argue it any further.

#27 8 years ago

To me it's the geometry of the flipper that counts. If the flipper ring sits above the centerline of the ball it is going to exert a downward force on the ball which will accelerate playfield wear. Since adding the additional ring overcomes this then that is what I do on my games with the round top2" flippers. Since Gottlieb was the source recommending the double ringed flippers, as evidenced in their flyers, that is the source I follow since it is supporting the proper geometry.

#28 8 years ago

^And that's a big 10-4!^ ; )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.