Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
8319677D-0046-4990-AC22-B970FADF42BE (resized).jpeg
AD35F3BF-6B09-4649-9F08-E68B4DA3F03C (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230323_163634 (resized).jpg
20230322_152831 (resized).jpg
2023-02-11 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy (resi
IMG_0985 (resized).JPG
B-13423-R (resized).jpg
B-13423-L (resized).jpg
A-13421 (resized).jpg
A-13422 (resized).jpg
A-13420-L (resized).jpg
A-13420-R (resized).jpg
A-13419 (resized).jpg
PAC-dimensions-all-and-notes.pdf (PDF preview)
20230213_094650 (resized).jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

The flipper coils have new sleeves. The plungers have been smoothed with very fine grit, like 1500. Need new linkages- they aren’t the same size! Once I have that cleared up, I’ll see if I think it needs new coils. Also, will check and see if it’s on high tap. The slingshots are crazy strong.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

have often wondered what this game would of played like with 3" flipper set up

Mine actually had 3" flippers installed when I bought it! The game was way too easy with them... They even drilled different holes in the pf to fit the 3" flippers and still have a gap the ball could fit through! My first order of business was filling the holes and installing some new 2" flippers

I'll second that suggestion re: flipper strength: just rebuild the flippers first and see how you like them. I am impressed with how strong the flippers are on this game, most EMs I've found in the wild haven't have the same oomph. Then again, most probably haven't gotten a proper rebuild in 50 years or so

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I sure am enjoying the game. Big open pf, lots of unusual side to side movements and angles. Looks simple, is hard. Not sure whether to put in stronger flipper coils. The flipper gets it all the way to the top, but sometimes it’s an effort. Wonder how it played when new.

I put the yellow dot (medium power) flipper coils from PBR in, and it made a huge difference!

Highly recommended...

Added 13 months ago:

Whoops: Orange dot are medium strength. Yellow dot are the strongest. Orange dot coils are what I have in my game, and they are perfect.

1 week later
#54 1 year ago

I'm almost done with my Pop-A-Card table restoration and I have a couple of minor questions:

- I am not hearing the chime on every switch and bumper. Should everything give off some pattern of the chime sounds? If not, would someone mind letting me know what isn't supposed to chime when contacted?

- what is the rule of thumb for bumper or rollover switch gapping? I could use a spark plug feeler gauge unless there is a less specific measurement device (credit card, business card etc). Additionally, what are relay stacks usually gapped at?

Thank you!!!

#55 1 year ago

Bumper switches, like sling shots, set as sensitive as you like.

Pop bumpers, set as close as you can without table vibrations setting them off.

Switches on coils, you want the plunger to retract as far as possible before breaking contact. The more the plunger is in the stronger the magnetic field.

On relays, just be sure they close enough or open enough to make good contact & function.

On make break switches be sure the break switch is open before the make switch closes.

You’ll read that a properly adjusted switch moves the other contact when closing and the motion is supposed to keep the contacts clean.

Hogwash. It may ensure good contact, but I just cleaned them on my drop a card and they were very dirty.

1 week later
#56 1 year ago

I set mine on high tap. New plungers & linkages on the flippers. Very happy with it.

#57 1 year ago

Do these flippers look to be set correctly?

They do a real good job of moving the ball at an angle towards the top sides, but it’s real hard to get the ball to go straight up. Is that how the game is supposed to play?

Also, you can’t hardly trap the ball. Is that right for this game?

8319677D-0046-4990-AC22-B970FADF42BE (resized).jpeg8319677D-0046-4990-AC22-B970FADF42BE (resized).jpegAD35F3BF-6B09-4649-9F08-E68B4DA3F03C (resized).jpegAD35F3BF-6B09-4649-9F08-E68B4DA3F03C (resized).jpeg
#58 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

They do a real good job of moving the ball at an angle towards the top sides, but it’s real hard to get the ball to go straight up. Is that how the game is supposed to play?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The look pretty good. I do the bottom side parallel to the lower metal wicker. I usually measure the spacing on the front and rear with the rubbers off to get them as parallel as possible. Also, I changed the shafts on mine, because the old ones were so badly indexed (indented) that i couldn't do fine alignments.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks pretty standard to me. But hey it’s your machine - if you want to make center shots easier, you can adjust the angle to your liking, up a
Smidge perhaps.

#60 1 year ago

I don’t necessarily want to make it easier, I want it to play like in the arcade in the 70s.

I like how the design has the ball going in weird angles. I got the machine because it was a favorite of my brother’s. I hadn’t played it much back then, so I thought I’d check.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I don’t necessarily want to make it easier, I want it to play like in the arcade in the 70s.
I like how the design has the ball going in weird angles. I got the machine because it was a favorite of my brother’s. I hadn’t played it much back then, so I thought I’d check.

i think that you are good then, it looks pretty close

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I've had several Pop/Drop a cards, and the flippers have all been aligned exactly like yours.

#63 1 year ago

Same, my PAC is aligned that way as well. Parallel to the biff bars just below them.

Great game!

#64 1 year ago

I just set the out lanes to liberal.

#65 1 year ago

Still very hard. Thinking of going to yellow dots.

1 month later
#66 10 months ago

Is there a trick to adjusting the drop targets? New targets. They either take a solid hit to drop or fall back down upon reset. Having trouble finding the happy medium.

#67 10 months ago

Are the target banks centered properly over the slots where the targets go through the playfield? If the targets are too far back, they might be rebounding/bricking off the rubber behind them.

Otherwise, perhaps something was reassembled improperly when you installed the new drop targets? Gottlieb drops are usually not too problematic in my experience. Post a couple pics of the rebuilt drop target assemblies -- someone might be able to spot an issue.

#68 10 months ago

Not centered. I’ll take a look at the assembly.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#69 10 months ago

Positioning looks ok to me, maybe others can chime in too. I wouldn't try moving/centering the mechs in those slots just yet--see if there's something wrong with the way the they were reassembled.

#70 10 months ago

I was thinking it’s the tension of the switches.

Will take a look this weekend.

#71 10 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Is there a trick to adjusting the drop targets? New targets. They either take a solid hit to drop or fall back down upon reset. Having trouble finding the happy medium.

When you replaced them, did you disassemble and clean the mech? Also, did you replace or at least clean the coil sleeve? The coil may not be able to lift them all the way if there is dirt or grime on the shafts or in the coil sleeve (people sometimes try and spray lube to loosen them up which always ends in tears). I ran all of my components (except the coil itself) through the ultrasonic cleaner when I replaced the banks and have had no issues.

From your pic, you could be a little tight to the front of the playfield, which may be inhibiting the targets from staying up on the rise. There is a very slight amount of adjustment movement on the mounting screws that are on the underside of the playfield for the assembly, but it shouldn't take much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-a-card-drop-a-card-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.