Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PATZ_131_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160305_142600_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

A month or 2 ago I jokingly posted to the EM Tech forum requesting help with my Pop-A-Card. I always leave behind the last drop target to light WOW... If I miraculously should manage to light WOW, the ball takes a bee-line to the wide drains or SDTM between the little 2" flippers. The problem was that the game is too damn hard! It actually sparked some conversation about PAC and DAC, so I figured we could all get together here and share the love for one of my favorite single player wedgehead's.

I've improved my skills a bit since that post, and find myself gravitating to PAC more and more. It's the only EM in my lineup which also currently includes The Getaway, Black Knight, Seawitch, and Rollergames (heavy on the Steve Ritchie multi-flipper games, as you can see). Lately I've been playing PAC almost exclusively, not even turning the other ones on some days.

I've had the game for over 10 years now. It's gone for months without a single game at times, but after all these years it's proven to be a lasting title in my collection. It's so damn hard that it can feel like it's a luck-based game since you get little room to control the ball. 2" flippers, no inlanes, giant slingshots, and 2 pops mixing things up at the upper half of the playfield. It can be downright brutal sometimes. I have mine set to 5-ball games, even though the rest of my games are set for 3. It was set that way when I got it, and it's always 'felt' like a 5-ball game...especially with the enormous amount of house balls it serves up. Still, it keeps me coming back. Maybe it's the crisp crack the knocker makes against the wood inside the cab when I score a WOW or meet the extra ball score (set to 30,000 and 50,000 on mine, again it was that way when I got it and it just 'felt' right)...or maybe I'm a sucker for punishment. Either way, I do think I'm improving at the game--or at very least maybe I've come to embrace it's ultra-difficult nature.

So, we have a club now if anyone wants to come share their stories and musings on Pop-A-Card and Drop-A-Card. As someone who's only ever played Pop-A-Card and never Drop-A-Card, are they considerably different games despite the same layout? Anyone get a repro backglass for PAC from the Webb's this past year or so when it finally reached the light of day? What are your favorite shots or strategies in the game? Any fun facts about these games? Any pics of them in the wild from back in the 70s/80s?

Oh yeah, and here's my 2 favorite occurrences in the game: When you have the left and right WOW bulls-eyes both lit and you hit one of them just right so it sends the ball across the playfield into the other bulls-eye scoring 2 extra balls in the process. I call that a "Coast to Coast". My other favorite is when the ball manages to get sent UP one of the upper 5,000 point/WOW rollovers (by a wacky bounce or what have you), then it slows to a pause just above the rollover switch for a moment while the game counts the 5,000 points just scored, then rolls back down the lane for another 5,000 points. I like to call that one "Hang Time".

PAC/DAC fans, let's unite!

P.S. Post pics too!

IMG_20160305_142600_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Pop A Card is the only add a ball game I own. Set it back up about a month ago and have really enjoyed it since. Its a keeper.

image_(resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

Nice! What's your high score since setting it back up? I almost rolled mine over the other day but came up a few thousand shy. What a game that was!

#4 3 years ago

I enjoy both PAC and DAC, but personally find PAC a bit too easy,
as i tend to get at least one set of targets down most every ball in play.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I enjoy both PAC and DAC, but personally find PAC a bit too easy,
as i tend to get at least one set of targets down most every ball in play.

How does DAC differ in that regard? Having never played one, I'm not familiar with the differences in rules between the 2.

#6 3 years ago

PAC is an AAB of course, so it is much easier to win an extra Ball,
while on DAC it takes more to set the game up to when a special (replay).
With PAC you only need to knock down 4 drop targets (in 1 bank) to set up the WOW AAB,
with DAC you need to knock all 13 of the drops down.

#7 3 years ago

Ah, interesting. Looking at pics i just realized the bullseye targets on DAC score 10 or 100 (as opposed to PAC where it's 1000 or WOW when lit).

What determines which score is lit on the bullseye targets on DAC? Does the 100 light up when you knock down the corresponding drop target bank?

1 week later
#9 3 years ago

PATZ_131_(resized).JPG

1 month later
#10 3 years ago

Drop a card is the only 2" flipper game I have out of 4 games only because I wanted (1) - 2" game . and it's by far my favorite.

2 months later
#11 3 years ago

Anybody put orange dot coils on there drop a card. I didn't but I'm thinking about it . It plays perfect for me but the people who come over never play it because they say its to hard

#12 3 years ago

Are those stronger or weaker than the factory coils?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Are those stronger or weaker than the factory coils?

Orange are slightly stronger, yellow are much stronger.

Quoted from Spider3582:

Anybody put orange dot coils on there drop a card. I didn't but I'm thinking about it . It plays perfect for me but the people who come over never play it because they say its to hard

I have no problems on my PAC making any drops at the top of the playfield on standard coils and on normal transformer tap. You might want to switch to high-tap first and see if that helps before installing different coils.

#14 3 years ago

Nobody has posted anything in 4 months . I love my Drop a Card. Let's see some pics, or maybe the games are so good everyone's drop/pop a cards are working perfect

#15 3 years ago

Just sold one....but right before I sold it I bought a other one (both Drop a Card) so I guess I never left the club.

#16 3 years ago

So you sold a drop a card and bought one. Was the one you bought in better condition or a better business deal

#17 3 years ago

Kind of a wash...the new one needs cabinet work.

#18 3 years ago

Beautiful artwork on DAC/PAC but that's where I get off the bus. The game plays itself for long periods of time with two inch flippers, no inlanes and very active slings that send the ball bouncing all over the p/f. Unfortunately the player becomes nothing more than a spectator playing this pin.

#19 3 years ago

To each his own . This is a forum for people who enjoy the game if you don't enjoy it why you on this forum

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Masspinballfan:

Beautiful artwork on DAC/PAC but that's where I get off the bus. The game plays itself for long periods of time with two inch flippers, no inlanes and very active slings that send the ball bouncing all over the p/f. Unfortunately the player becomes nothing more than a spectator playing this pin.

I felt the same way about my PAC for a while. The game sometimes has a tendency to 'play itself', but i found it's more about nudging properly. When possible, I try to catch the ball and take an aimed shot for whichever targets I'm working on to light WOW. It's difficult for sure, but it's very satisfying when i put up a good game. Any time I've gotten a good score, it was from skilled shooting and ball control. Nothing like getting all 6 WOW targets lit, too! It's like an old-school Wizard mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 10,900.00
Pinball Machine
RMV Sales
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 275.00
$ 84.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys
$ 1.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside