Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlordmarc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 2 years ago

What up, Pinside? I'm newish to the hobby but am quite good (thanks, good hand-eye coordination!) I have been playing regularly at a local arcade and have made some friends who own machines. Last weekend I was invited to a "tournament" hosted by some people I've met in the scene.

So it was a day-long event with around 30 people or so. The buy-in was $35 which would go towards a prize pool. They also had some shirts made and offered some snacks/drinks/booze so despite it being a bit of a rip off, I assumed it was decently run. Boy was I wrong.

Things were going well for yours truly in the first few matchups but I started to get some alarm bells ringing when I noticed this guy named Trevor watching me intently. I've never met Trevor, but he seemed to be a friend of the guy who owned the place. Well in one of the first few rounds, wouldn't ya know it we were matched up against each other. After my first ball (which admittedly wasnt great) he came up to me and said something like "be careful about tilting through."

Now, I had tilted my ball but didnt need any shit talking from him about it so I just nodded. My friends and I are VERY competitive so I'm used to people trying to get in my head! I had a very good ball 2 and ball 3 was one of my best ones ever so I did a small celebration to throw some shade back to him. He tells me not to hit the table (ok I did, but not hard and he's not even the owner so wtf).

Anyways after the round (which I won) I immediately see him go up to the owner to tell on me. The owner comes up to me a few minutes later and you can tell he's a little uncomfortable and he asks me to please take it easy on the machines. I was a bit embarassed because i don't know him super well, but I told him that Trevor might be mad that I beat him and that he had also tilted. The owner wasnt really listening but said no big deal.

During the lunch break my friend and I are playing on one of the machines casually and in comes Trevor to interrupt our game. He tells me (not asks, tells) to move my sprite off the glass and makes a big show of wiping up a bit of condensation or something where the can was.

1) the drink wasnt even in our way

2) we were being very careful about not spilling it

3) we would have cleaned any mess after we were done playing.

I'm almost certain he went to tell some exaggerated story to the owner about this. It's clear that this guy has it out for me.

A few more rounds go by and there are just a few groups left in the tourney. Trevor and I are on the same table again so here we go. I'm playing fourth. I'll spare you the play by play, but this guy LUCKS into TWO multiballs in a row on his last ball and I drain my third. I was pretty frustrated and gently kicked the machine.

Trevor says loudly not to do that (so everyone can hear him tattletale). I say whatever, but then the owner comes up and after hearing all the lies from Trevor he's clearly been poisioned against me. He tells me to leave. Normally that would be whatever, but I paid to be in the tournament and so I tell him I want my money back for the unjust removal. He says I'd probably be eliminated after the other matches are played out because I got fourth, but that's bullshit because I might get first the next round. Anyways after a long back and fourth I don't feel like arguing anymore because he's clearly got his mind made up and he's making a HUGE scene so I just leave.

I guess what I'm looking for some confirmation that this is clearly grounds for a refund, right Pinside? I left my shirt at the tournament so this guy can't deny me one based upon that and I only hade a few sprites while I was there so I clearly didn't get my money's worth. I'm really just shocked at how unprofessional the whole thing was and was wondering what y'alls experience is with poorly-run tournaments.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Drinks on the glass is stupid but it won’t get you thrown out the first time.

It was a sprite so worst case scenario its a clear drink

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

You seem and admit to being pretty physical on the pins (gently kicking, etc). I wouldn't take that well at all if it were on my pins at home or on route.
    Be as competitive as you wish but respect other people's property.

yeah i definitely should have handled that part better but it was a really small one

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

In our pin league, only the owners can man handle the merchandise. And drinks on a pin is totally taboo. You would be warned, and not invited back after the second reminder. Pretty standard in private tournaments.

No offense but that seems a little rigged in favor of the owner. A lot of people play using nudges to keep the ball in play longer and youre at a disadvantage if you dont.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

You sound like a pompous diva that disrespected the hosts equipment and are whining like a child over $35.
    I think you're going to quickly find out how small the hobby is since noone is going to want to associate with you with your disrespectful attitude in the future.

Take it easy. Plenty of people want to play against me and associate with me.

No offense, but you sound like the disrespectful type not me.

#14 2 years ago

Sorry for the bad grammar I edited the statement before your quote.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

This right here says a lot. If a drink, of any color, spills on top of the glass, it's gonna be a shitty cleanup and could cause a short if it drips onto any electronics.
    So you're defending yourself doing something disrespectful and rude. That's okay if you didn't realize it's not a generally accepted behavior, but don't defend it like it's okay. Nobody who owns these machines is gonna be your friend if you treat the machines without respect.

Youre probably totally right about this. I think I was just saying this point because I feel like Trevor was coming pretty hard at me for it just because we'd had a disagreement.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from NicerSoul:

Never, ever, ever, put your drink on a pinball machine. Never, ever. Be an asshole on the internet, sure, but don't put your drink on a pinball machine. Even I know that.

Yeah I agree youre right. I was wrong to make an issue of the drink thing.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Boy, you got a frigging lot to learn on a subject that has a very shallow learning curve. Try that drink on glass trick at your next tournament and see how that plays out for you.

Dude I've said i was wrong about the drink already

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I agree, you never put drinks on the glass, it is a royal pain to clean up.
    And why in the world would you kick a machine. You know how much they cost. Would you be ok if the owner kicked your car but said "don't worry, I didn't kick it that hard"?

Yes the machines are expensive but definitely not as much as a car. Also the machines can wobble without breaking them- not that I kicked it enough to wobble it even. "Kick" is probably the wrong word to describe it more of a frustrated nudge!

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Your entire premise of this being a bad situation starts in your head when you say you got "alarm bells ringing" because another player was watching you.
    Is it possible you just were a bit nervous or paranoid being a new social situation? Maybe you just read Trevor's vibe wrong and then it cascaded into tension as you were doing things like putting the drink on the glass and pissing him off for real.

Trevor and I got off on the wrong foot for sure even before the first match. I honestly think he felt a little threatened because a lot of people were cozying up to me and I was new with the main group.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

It doesn't matter, you don't abuse someone else's property. If you can't control yourself, find a different hobby.

In no way shape or form was I out of control.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from ticktockman:

...and gloating when you win.

He gloated first and so I just returned the favor. I can dish it and take it

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why not take the high road and let your play do the talking? Those people aren’t worth it. Trust me.

No this is a good point. I think normally thats good advice and I will definitely take it but I had some bad beats in this tournament also I think I had a shot in my next round. I think the main thing is sort of being taken advantage of financially at the end of the day

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Are you twelve?

Dude I wish!

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Taken advantage financially? Haha. Sorry but it was $35. Take the L and move on. But unless you take some of the advice here, I don’t think this will be the last poorly run tournament that you experience.

Okay yeah "taken advantage of" is probably (ok definitely!) too strong a term, but it's the principle of the thing. I make a really really good living and one of the reasons I have plenty of money is because I don't let bucks go to waste. If I see someone trying to take my cash, I call them out. And frankly the whole tournament was a bit off a rip off to begin with-- the prize pool was puny

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You too?
    Join the club baby! We all rich up in here!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/hpXxJ78YtpT0s" width="480" height="223" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p>via GIPHY</p>

edit -- does anyone know how to embed a gif in a post? on other forums I just post the embed code.

#49 2 years ago

^^^ You come off as a t-less rex

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlordmarc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poorly-run-tournament-experiences?tu=pinlordmarc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.