Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Not sure where to post this exactly but though I would share. I Got the order from Pinball Life yesterday. Granted I am new at this pinball stuff and still have lots to learn but I have to say this rubber is junk. Its nothing like the rubber I have been getting from Marco for my Lectronamo and Sidbad. The flipper rubber especially is horrible, its like a old dried out rubber band. Took care to not overstretch it when installing but it stretched out and has hardly no elasticity and its hardly tight on the flippers. They even went from a red colour to a light / faded pink when stretched out. When pushing it on and using my thumb to help set it down on the flipper the actual top 90 deg edges of the rubber would be pressed down and it stays that way like its just play-dough. The rest of the rubber in the kit it different levels of white, Some rings are bright white and others are bone colour and others are slightly yellowed and old looking.

Is there a better place to get bulk rubbers from so i don't run into this again?

#2 5 years ago

pbresource.com if you want standard rubber.

titanpinball.com if you want silicon rubber.

#3 5 years ago

Poor quality rubbers.....thats why I have 2 kids...

#4 5 years ago

I would contact Terry @ Pinball Life and explain as youve posted here. They’ve been a stand up vendor for years. Just my 2 cents.

#5 5 years ago

I've gotten bad rubber from pbr and pbl. Marco is always great, I exclusively order rubber from them now

#6 5 years ago

All of these companies are probably sourcing from the same wholesaler. There may have been a bad batch mixed in with good ones. I met the owners of Pinball Life at TPF this year and they’re really nice people. Two local collectors here in Atlanta have been buying from them for years now. Every issue that came up they fixed quickly.

Call Pinball Life and ask to talk to Margaret. She’ll fix this for you.

John

#7 5 years ago

My buddy Welby Bergum now buys white rubbers mainly from Pinball Resource and Marco Specialties. The white rubbers he was getting from Pinball Life was absolute crap so he no longer buys white rubbers from them.

#8 5 years ago

Thoughts on Titan silicon rubbers?

#9 5 years ago

Long story short, I’m an artist for high end fashion. I’ve spent 25 years being super picky about color shades. I also screenprint and restore my own playfields and backglasses.
    When I received my first (and only) “white” rubber shipment from PBL, I was shocked. They ranged from yellowish to light grey. None were white. I’d been (and still am) a loyal customer of PBL so I called Terry to ask about that. His answer was “nobody sells consistent white rubber” (they do, I’m super happy with my PBR and Marco rubber) and that “no one will ever notice once they’re in a game” Trust me, after spending 50-100 hours restoring a playfield, I WOULD!
    I was disappointed with their response but I know “it’s only Pinball” so I just made a mental note to only order my white rubbers from PBR (and lately, Marco.) Not writing this to hate on PBL, I still order quite a bit from them, and there are some parts I ONLY buy from them because they have the best quality. Just not their white rubbers.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

Thoughts on Titan silicon rubbers?

I have used them on my Johnny Mnemonic. They look great especially all the different colors that you can choose but I found them a bit "grippy" for my taste and tends to slow the ball down during play.

#11 5 years ago

Pinball Life is fine for everything EXCEPT white rubbers. They are too hard, too thick, show wear sooner, and just plain break.

#12 5 years ago

I think some of my colored rubber rings were bought from PinballLife and they are garbage. They all have a white residue that has to be cleaned off and then they break REALLY easy. Fucking sucked having to tear down WCS 94 a little bit to replace them after only a week of play.

#13 5 years ago

This is starting to annoy me now more actually lol. Bought the rubbers as I wanted some machines up and running for a few weekend gatherings with friends and now im tearing down machines and installing crap rubber that just has to get removed and replaced again in the near future. Took a closer look at the rings and some hardy stretch. What a waste of time and money. Granted I got some other tings but i paid 170 USD in shipping to get it to me.

#14 5 years ago

Honestly think I should be refunded for the ring kit and the $100 usd shipping they charge to just ship that one item. I would gladly cut them up as proof I dont want them.

#15 5 years ago

$170 for shipping? Did you order these over night? I understand it is to Canada but there is no way! I order from Pinball Life all the time and they are great. As for Titans, I use them for my rubbers and never had any issues with anything I have ordered. The rubber looks great, plays great, and cleans with a single wipe from a cloth. The best part is they are durable. I love the looks of Superbands and are a good choice, but for me they are too grippy and alter the game too much.

#16 5 years ago

Terry told me they are made basically the same place, just different molds.

I have bought all the white rings from Pinball Life, the only issue was the mini posts breaking/tearing easily.

#17 5 years ago

Marco is the best! Hell I may send my salesman there something for Xmas! They are really great!
    I never got bad rubber and they will do kits of super bands also!
    Maybe that is why I have no kids

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

$170 for shipping? Did you order these over night? I understand it is to Canada but there is no way! I order from Pinball Life all the time and they are great. As for Titans, I use them for my rubbers and never had any issues with anything I have ordered. The rubber looks great, plays great, and cleans with a single wipe from a cloth. The best part is they are durable. I love the looks of Superbands and are a good choice, but for me they are too grippy and alter the game too much.

I was only offered 2 options for shipping from them. 160usd standard or express for 170 usd

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

Not sure where to post this exactly but though I would share. I Got the order from Pinball Life yesterday. Granted I am new at this pinball stuff and still have lots to learn but I have to say this rubber is junk. Its nothing like the rubber I have been getting from Marco for my Lectronamo and Sidbad. The flipper rubber especially is horrible, its like a old dried out rubber band. Took care to not overstretch it when installing but it stretched out and has hardly no elasticity and its hardly tight on the flippers. They even went from a red colour to a light / faded pink when stretched out. When pushing it on and using my thumb to help set it down on the flipper the actual top 90 deg edges of the rubber would be pressed down and it stays that way like its just play-dough. The rest of the rubber in the kit it different levels of white, Some rings are bright white and others are bone colour and others are slightly yellowed and old looking.
    Is there a better place to get bulk rubbers from so i don't run into this again?

Marco specialties has the best white rubber. The BEST every order. No one else even comes close to their consistent quality on white rubber in my experience.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

I was only offered 2 options for shipping from them. 160usd standard or express for 170 usd

Products from Marco are top notch but shipping costs from Marco to Canada really suck, 6 drop targets and decals for the drop targets was almost $40 US.Few cases where the shipping was more than the product. I wish they had an option of "just stick it in an envelope and be done with it".

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Marco is the best!

This is exactly true.

There is a long post somewhere where I believe it was Clay that got together with Marco and they developed their PRW rubbers which are the only ones I will use. The rest don't even compare.

I threw all the others I still had in the trashcan as that is all they are good for now.

#22 5 years ago

I use Marco rubber and have always been happy with them.

#23 5 years ago

On every restoration I’ve been moving over to Titan rubber. I like the feel of the game with them. I don’t think super bands have much action with the ball. Titan has always been great to work with

#24 5 years ago

Long post but worth reading.

Quoted from phergott:

I posted a thread over two years ago on RGP, with some great feedback. One member gave a lengthy, but very educational reply. Here it is...
    "This isn't exactly on subject but CFH offers some interesting insight
    here on pinball rubber. Taken from Pinside, but it was posted here on
    RGP several months back:
    -as many know, I don't post to RGP any more. But for this, i will make
    one exception. I can offer some facts on rubber that perhaps a lot of
    people don't know. You all may find it useful in rubber choice on
    games.
    First off, rubber today is WAY different than rubber from the past.
    Since the end of "ABC" rubber (which Williams had a good share), things
    have changed in the world of pinball rubber. ABC rubber was the standard
    by which all other rubber was and should be compared. It was perfect
    rubber in terms of durometer and durability. I think most people will
    agree on that (at least those that remember ABC rubber.)
    Today, largely, there is really just one maker of rubber in Taiwan. They
    hold the molds for Terry (Pinball Life), Steve Young, Marco, and the
    other guys that make rubber. So when you buy Pinball
    Life rubber and you see "PL" on the rubber, it's really no different
    than the other brands (generally speaking, though there are some
    exceptions.) Same formula, just they use the molds belonging to whomever
    is ordering rubber.
    That said, today's White rubber is absolute trash. SR is quite right
    that putting white rubber on games today is suicide. Today's white
    rubber is way too soft. It has no longevity, and comes apart quickly.
    (about 3 weeks white mini-posts fall apart or rip, and slingshots tear
    and fall apart.)
    I operate games, and frankly I can't use today's white rubber. For games
    in your home, I'm sure it's fine. But out in the "commercial world", new
    white rubber is junk. The formula is bad, improper, and useless, in my
    experience. It's way too soft and way too white, and just wears really
    poorly. For your game room it's soft and spongy, really white, and
    probably works well for the 100 to 200 games you'll put on your machines
    in a year. But out in the field, new white rubber does not work in high
    play environments.
    I've discussed this with Terry at PL. He doesn't want to change things.
    His customer base is home owners, and they like the soft-like-bubble-gum
    white rubber. So after considerable whining to Terry and Mark at Marco
    by Tim Arnold and myself, Marco has come up with a NEW formula for white
    rubber. We've been testing it for Marco, and I have to say, it's a HUGE
    improvement over the stuff everyone else is selling.
    So is the new Marco rubber better than ABC rubber of old? Frankly, no. I
    would say the new Marco rubber is a lot like the HAPP and WICO rubber of
    10 years ago. Not amazing, not perfect, but miles ahead of the stuff
    everyone else is selling today. I've found it far more durable on my
    games.
    I believe Tim Arnold is getting about the same results too. Hats off to
    Marco!
    Now a little about the history of rubber. You'll ask how i know this
    useless crap, but i *collect* white rubber. I have stock piles of ABC
    rubber from 15 years ago, brand new, stored in ziplock bags, in dark
    cabinets. I also have Wico, Happ, and a few other brands offered over
    the last 15 years. I have this stuff in huge qualities too, so i can
    test and compare today's rubber to the "rubber of old." (It gives a nice
    point of reference, as I have about 10,000 pieces of white rubber in
    inventory.)
    I also have some black rubber too from years ago, but not nearly the
    quantities to do much testing. I will say this about black rubber today,
    it's better than black rubber of old. Today's black rubber is actually
    pretty decent. Hence SR's usage of it today is really not a huge factor.
    Personally I like (vintage) white rubber better than today's black
    rubber, but that's me. I completely understand why SR uses black. I mean
    I don't like it, but given the choice of today's black versus today's
    white rubber, black wins in durability by miles. It still looks like
    hell though - clean white rubber will always win in looks. (Sorry SR.)
    I will say this though. We are operating all the new Sterns, including
    SR's titles. And they all have vintage white rubber on them. People come
    play them and are like, "Wow this game is really
    different, i like it!" The games play more difficult, with different
    bounce properties. spiderman is the perfect example. With black rubber,
    I find game times to be fairly high (in excess of 5 minutes.)
    Switched to vintage white rubber, and game times are about 3 minutes.
    The game is a lot harder, and frankly a lot more fun! Personally i like
    that, but that's me. Some people find it more frustrating, but in the
    end, that just means they play more games!
    We also use vintage ABC rubber on a lot of our games (both Tim and I
    have some inventory of original ABC.) It's still the standard that all
    others should strive. But I've largely moved to using vintage ABC on EM
    games only, and use vintage white Happ and Wico (etc.) on the solidstate
    games. The only "new" white rubber I use (other than the Marco stuff) is
    mini-posts, as i have NO old inventory of white mini posts! This really
    sucks because today's white mini-posts last about 3 weeks. PLEASE TERRY
    LISTEN.
    I hope this helps everyone. I won't do any follow up posts to this. I
    just hope it helps. Also if you could all support Marco and his new
    flavor of white rubber, I think that would be good move (the price of
    his new rubber is no different than existing white rubber.) When
    ordering you have to talk to Mark about getting it, the new Marco white
    rubber is not the "default" rubber that he sells."

#25 5 years ago

It would have been nice if it was advertised on PL as white colour possibly matching , quality not guaranteed, sub par quality product. Then I would only have myself to blame for getting it.

#26 5 years ago

Old news, PBL sucks Marco is good.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

On every restoration I’ve been moving over to Titan rubber. I like the feel of the game with them. I don’t think super bands have much action with the ball. Titan has always been great to work with

Titan sells traditional rubber? I thought they were only silicone rubber. Silicone rings are good, but definitely behave differently than white rubber.

#28 5 years ago

I just had a pinbot home service call where a white pbl sling rubber broke. Thought it was a fluke. May try marco

#29 5 years ago

Oh man and mini post from PBL...just throw them out immediately; they split so damn easily.

#30 5 years ago

I bought my last batch of white rubber from pinball life and the small single post ones almost all split apartwhen I tried to push them down over the metal post. Pinball Life is my go to for everything else though.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Old news, PBL sucks Marco is good.

If it's the rubber you're talking about, then fine. But Terry and Margaret are awesome people and they take care of their customers.

OP, shoot Terry an email and he'll take care of you.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

If it's the rubber you're talking about, then fine.

Yes, since it's the entire point of this thread.

#33 5 years ago

I know the PL people are good, nice, and respected people in the industry.
    But the rubber from there has been questionable for some time.
    I buy from a lot of sources, and have had shit rubber from all of them at some point.,...but, the most by far, always seem to have the PL stamp on the ring.
    I won't buy (white) rubber there again unless I hear things have changed.

#34 5 years ago

I have had the same issue with the 2 1/2 on the single post rubbers from Pinball Life...
    The last bag I got of 2 1/2 " I had to change the slingshot rubbers every two weeks at my arcade they kept busting on the corners
    I personally like white rubber, black rubber is a pain to get off of a Playfield. An I buy in bulk 100 to 200 at a time ...
    Hard to find good white rubber these days..
    Not like the old days of WICO I truly miss Sam an his high quality white rubber rings..

I have really good luck with the white rubbers with Steve at Pinball Resource..

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from NickBudlight:

I have had the same issue with the 2 1/2 on the single post rubbers from Pinball Life...
    The last bag I got of 2 1/2 " I had to change the slingshot rubbers every two weeks at my arcade they kept busting on the corners
    I personally like white rubber, black rubber is a pain to get off of a Playfield. An I buy in bulk 100 to 200 at a time ...
    Hard to find good white rubber these days..
    Not like the old days of WICO I truly miss Sam an his high quality white rubber rings..
    I have really good luck with the white rubbers with Steve at Pinball Resource..

White rubber from Marco is all you'll ever need. Consistently the best.

#36 5 years ago

I recently switched over to Titan's super bands for my flippers and I absolutely love them. My game immediately improved. My old ones were actually loose around the middle of the flipper. Made dead flipping among other things almost impossible. I won't use anything else.

#37 5 years ago

I will try Marco

2.5" 100 quant .65 each
    2.5" 100 quant .50 each at pbl

#38 5 years ago

I wrote several extensive reports on Pinball Life rubber rings vs. Titan silicone rings. The difference is astounding. I happened to be using Pinball Life rubber because they were the cheapest (now I see why). If you want a scientific comparison (with a whopping sample size of 1), check out my posts starting with #109:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings?tq=&tu=Crash

And keep going through the posts with photos to get an idea of how Pinball Life rubber holds up on route/location games (where durability matters most).

#39 5 years ago

I only had to buy rubber from Pinball Life one time. Marco all the way for rubber.

1 month later
    #40 5 years ago

Anyone ever try the Bay Area Amusements rubber kits? They are pretty inexpensive, but not sure about the quality of the rubber they use.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Off-Kilter:

Anyone ever try the Bay Area Amusements rubber kits? They are pretty inexpensive, but not sure about the quality of the rubber they use.

Crappy compared to Marco's. Marco white rubber is what you want.

#42 5 years ago

Next time you are looking for a big order try to contact the Alberta facebook group. Group orders are a good way to keep your cost down. I don't order through PBL solely because the shipping is outrageous. If you contact them directly they may only charge you first class (around $20 cad per order) as long as it has tracking. I have also bought rubber off the ebay seller who does kits with no issues. I am a big Titan fan and there was times where their product broke too easily and they had no problems shipping me a couple of replacements. Great customer service and I like their product.

#43 5 years ago

I will be ordering more from marco. Seems great quility so far. A little more expesive.
    Ive had another suppliers fail and when its a home service call 30 miles away and a ball gets wedged in a sling causing a failure thats a big hit to my bottom line.

#44 5 years ago

I agree with other’s in that Pinball Life white rubber is garbage. But honestly, you get what you pay for sometimes.

Also, I’ve never had any problem with the 1000s of metal parts or other items that I’ve bought from PBL over the last 15 years.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I agree with other’s in that Pinball Life white rubber is garbage. But honestly, you get what you pay for sometimes.
    Also, I’ve never had any problem with the 1000s of metal parts or other items that I’ve bought from PBL over the last 15 years.

I would say that PBL rubber is literally the only thing they sell that I hate. It's terrible stuff that no one should buy. All their other parts they make are great and they usually have the best prices. I just wish Terry would get his white rubber fixed then I could recommend PBL unequivocally across the board.

#46 5 years ago

I use Pinball Life translucent rubbers and colored super bands on location. They hold up great, look nice, and can be cleaned easily. The colored bands from pinball life did not last long. I don’t like white rubber because they show the dirt and black tends to make games dirtier. I noticed our POTC C had translucent rubbers from the factory.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

pbresource.com if you want standard rubber.
    titanpinball.com if you want silicon rubber.

This 100%

(well, maybe if you want **silicone** rubber from Titan. Silicon might be a little too brittle)

#48 5 years ago

Is pbr good for rubber as well like marco?. Always like chatting with steve.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Is pbr good for rubber as well like marco?. Always like chatting with steve.

I think PBR white rubber rings are pretty good. I've never compared them directly to Marco though.

#50 5 years ago

Titan all the way for me any more...better durability than rubber, but with the same bounce. Superbands are just way too bouncy.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-quality-rubber?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.