Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3406366_ra.jpg
2337715_ba.jpg
1023121134a.jpg
1023121134b.jpg
1023121100.jpg
1023121054.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charles4400.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 11 years ago

If you were to use this speaker by just connecting it to the cab woofer wires...how would you do that since it looks like it just has 1 coax input?

2337715_ba.jpg2337715_ba.jpg

#22 11 years ago

I'm assuming when you add a powered sub normally you ADD it onto the cab woofer instead of replacing it...right?

#24 11 years ago

I understand it is a risk, appreciate the input, but if you [i]were[/i] to gamble and try it...how would you do it with the input type the sub has?

#27 11 years ago

Ok got it, I definatley miss the mark on the audio tech, not trying to ignore markmons advice, I guess I just don't understand all of it! lol! Thanks for clarifying.

Ok so another stupid question:
The hi/low convertor. Can get them for under $10 so I am still willing to try this cheap sub (I have many smart strips for the always on issue).

So I assume I can splice in the speaker wires going to the existing woofer to the high/low convertor. The convertor has left and right audio jacks...so do I just pick one left/right to plug into the sub?

3406366_ra.jpg3406366_ra.jpg

#29 11 years ago

Understood.

Let us know if you are able to use both the powered sub and the cab woofer together.

I would hate to replace the cab woofer with this one.....

#35 11 years ago

So for the higher end $200+ powered subs out there, do you not need the hi/low converter?

Do they have a built in converter to where you can just plug directly in using the same speaker wires directly?

#39 11 years ago

Got mine in but have not set it up yet. For $20 (+10 converter) the sub seems like it will be perfect for the pins I did not put FF speaker sets in. Did you guys hook them up yet?

#40 11 years ago

I do have a question with these subs and older early SS pins which have only 1 speaker total...and its in the cab.

So if therte is only 1 speaker and I wanted to use this powered sub with, would I splice into the speaker cable, then to the high/low converter then to the sub like markmon suiggested?

Or would it be ok to splice directly to the sub without the converter since this pin has only 1 speaker?

It's an early Stern SS - Catacomb.

Thanks!

#42 11 years ago

Don't feel bad boog, I think you did what most were planning (connecting it w/o converter)...nice of markmon to see that error and advise against it. I think you let others know of a cheap powered sub which should do fine as an added sub to a pin!

So thanks for the post dude, I wouldn't have found out about the sub without it and in this thread is the solution to connect it correctly!

(though I would still like to know how to connect it to a pin with only 1 speaker )

So at least I'm glad you posted!

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The system will actually sound better if you disconnect the crappy speaker anyway.

For systems with 1 speaker could I tap into the speaker wires without the converter and use both the speaker and sub? Or is the only thing to do with those 1 speaker systems is to just replace the original speaker?

I doubt I should use just the sub for 1 speaker systems right?

(I want bass with my 80's bleeps and robot voices lol!)

#47 11 years ago

Thanks for the input!
I was wondering if it would even pick up any of the lows but was hoping to enhance the sound with some bass...

though the sound gives a pure nostalgic feel, long term it would be great to at LEAST have some deeper sounds to make it sound a little better.... Thanks!

When I hook it up will report back here...

#48 11 years ago

Well I hooked it up to my 1981 Stern Catacomb!

For those of you who have this game or played it you know how the 'music' goes. It personally reminds me of atari 2600 sounds but I love it all the same!

Now it sounds like atari 2600 sounds with bass lol!

This sub works well with it, I mean come on does anyone want to spend that much on upgrading the sounds of this type game....probably not... so this speaker enters perfectly. Yup have to add the costs of converter and smart strip (I had many smart strips laying around the house) and you give yourself more depth to a single speaker game.

The sub picks up the constant 'pulsing' of this game (which goes on throughout the game ) so I say worth it!

I need to try the sub on something more modern, but I am in the process of moving around the game room so that will have to wait.

Got a few more of these subs for 2 more early ss games coming in so will report back on how those sounds go.

Also got some for the games that don't merit a FF sounds system (SST) so hope it fares well on that. Not the strongest sub (for a $20 though it exceeded expectations) but serves its purpose...at least on the one game I installed it on.

(btw for my favorite games (IJ,TSPP, LOTR, STTNG, etc.. I have full FF kits on them, so only using this sub on my second tier games unworthy or incapable of the FF tratment!) )

So far I am happy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (OBO)
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charles4400.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-sub-addition?tu=charles4400 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.