pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20230127_013429 (resized).jpg
8 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_175301 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_211008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_210634 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_145140 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#334 5 years ago

Any reason why you couldn't just stick some of these metal plates on sides of the pin and glue some rare earth magnets to the channels?

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Nekteck-Replacement-Adhesive-Rectangulars/dp/B074QG6ZV1/

Seems like this would be a much better solution than the magnetic tape, as these plates are ultra thin (0.025" or 0.6mm)

51wwffRWemL._SL1200_ (resized).jpg51wwffRWemL._SL1200_ (resized).jpg
1 week later
#344 5 years ago

So I also hooked up some 5v strips directly to GI, and didn't have any strobing issues (at least not to my eye).

I was worried about pulling too much current, but here are my calculations (correct me if I'm wrong)

In my data east LAH, there are Probably about 50 lights in the GI and backbox. I assume they are all on the same circuit but maybe I'm wrong?

standard bulbs pull about 1.5 watts but high intensity LED's are about 0.95watts. So by replacing 50 bulbs, I'm reducing the load by 27.5 watts.

I believe the strips I'm using are between 3-5 watts each, so 2 strips would only be up to 10 watts.

Out of curiosity though... am I wrong to assume that the worst thing that could happen by overloading the circuit is a blown fuse?

1 week later
#348 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Does one then need this relay at all? ebay.com link

You do not need that relay in this set up.

I set it up this way hooking up my 5V LED strips directly to the GI... though I did not get the strobe other people are seeing so did not add the voltage stabilizer. I'm not sure if the reason I'm not getting the lack of strobe is because of the brand of LED's I'm using or maybe there's something in my pinball machine?

here's what I'm using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YF2PNH/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

nepi23 scorch - is correct. You do not need a relay for this. When the GI turns off the LED strips turn off with it. As to why some people have flickering and some people don't IDK. The odd thing about it is non pinball people couldn't really see the strobing issue at least not until I pointed it out. Pinball people noticed as soon as the game started and the ball was in play. I would say if you have time, build the setup without the board and see if you have an issue. If not, great you are done! If so, simply buy the cheap little board and the problem will be solved.

I actually tried with the board first (with some different RGB LED's), and it was pulling too much current so the lights were switching on and off, so needed to get a second board (one for each row)... But before I tried that, I took the soft white LED's which were lower current, and ran them instead without the board, and it looked great.

I don't know if it makes a difference but my machine is a re-import so maybe there is something slightly different with the power supply? I'm planning on trying this on my newly acquired SST so will see if I have the strobing there.

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think some of the issues with strips and flickering....as I use both the 5V and 6.3 versions, is when GI is instructed to fade...
Same reason an OCD board was needed?

I think you're right... this is from the LED OCD web page

"First, due to lamp matrix, each lamp has a series of timeslots in which it is capable of being turned on. Neither Stern or WPC games do any kind of PWM within these timeslots. If a lamp is on during its timeslot, it is on for the entire timeslot. Stern games, however, DO use a duty cycle method of dimming where every other timeslot is on (or every third, etc). I am not aware of any WPC games that do this."

So specifically on Stern games, and possibly others, it seems like they will dim the lighting by quickly turning on and off the lamps... since LED's are instant on-off this will show as a strobe, while incandescent take time to turn on and off, so this is smoothed.

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Just to check - surely you have on outside power source to power the leds? I am making my pinstadiums so that the led-strips are connected to a wifi-box with which I can adjust the led-strips colors and then the wifi-box gets a 5V or 3V power from outside power source. I would need to get GI in the mix as e.g. in WOZ there are playmodes where all lights should be out.

In that case, you do need the relay to turn on and off the LED's. I think the wifi module and RGB strips take alot more power than just the white LED's so you'll want them to be constantly powered, but then turn on and off when the GI turn on and off. You connect the relay to one of the GI's and then to the led strips. When the GI is on, the relay will send power to the LED's, and when they turn off, the relay will shut off power to the LED's. Honestly though, if you're going the route you're talking about, you might as well get some 12V led's which will allow a bit more brightness

What some of us are doing is fully powering the LED strips directly from the 5v GI, which is a slightly easier and cheaper solution, but you're more limited on the LED's you can use

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Yes, sorry, the outside power source is indeed 12V, but it is either 3A or 5A.

I think you'll be fine with either 3A or 5A power supply (can't imagine you getting anywhere near that with 6' of led strips).

And ya... I forgot to mention you don't need that filter then... though how would that effect the relay? if the control line on the relay is seeing a constant on/off high frequency signal, will that strobe be passed through to the LED's?

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Thank you for your advice. Would it work e.g. for WOZ so that I would take power from its spotlight (which I believe are 12 V) to this WiFi-dongle (with which I can remotely select colors/brightness of the led-strip) and then connect the led-strip to the WiFi-dongle. That way I should not have to use any relays or outside power source and the led-strips would be in sync with the spotlights? Would the pin's power supply be sufficient in this case?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think your LED strips might pull a bit too much current. I quickly looked up the specs for a 12v, rgb strip with the larger 5050 SMDs and a wifi controller, and it showed a max output of 15watt/m so 30 watt for 2 strips @ 12V = 2.5 amps. Seems like a bit too much and might blow your fuse.... if you're using smaller SMD's like 3528's it drops down to about 0.8 amps which might be ok, and I assume considerably less if you go with a single color as opposed to a wifi controlled multi color.

Note: I'm sure those wattages in the spec sheet are based on all colors of LED's on the strip on and at full brightness, so total draw will probably be less. You should also check with the vendor that sold them to you to find out what the wattage is of the set you purchased

2 weeks later
#362 5 years ago

So I followed the post in #279 exactly, and just couldn't get the lighting to be integrated with the GI. What happened is when I touch the +ve and -ve leads for the GI trigger together, the lights go on. So when I hook them up to +ve and -ve from the GI, it just turns the led strips on regardless of whether there is power to the GI or not.

Only real difference is that I was using a 5V led strip, and was powering the relay with 5V instead of 12v (using a relay designed for 5V operation)

In the end, I went for an always on situation... which still is pretty good.

#363 5 years ago

And FYI.... the easiest way to set this up with absolutely no wiring required at all is to plug in the LED's into the service outlet inside the cabinet (which is always on), but then power your pinball machine using a smart outlet that cuts power to the machine completely.

Something like this... where you can stick the on/off button next to the pinball on/off switch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NPCDDM

It has the bonus of having an 11 hour timer, so if you forget to turn off your games, it'll shut them down after 11 hours.

or you can use something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/TrickleStar-Outlet-Advanced-PowerStrip-Joules/dp/B00JPDYYSM. Where you have all your pins turn on when a single pin is turned.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 199.95
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting?tu=scorch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.