pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20230127_013429 (resized).jpg
8 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_175301 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_211008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_210634 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_145140 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

A USB Strip for TVs (5v) about $10, can be driven from GI (6.3v) with full affects.

#55 6 years ago

Comet 20" strips are 6.3V, and are plug and play in minutes to a GI Bulb, along with separate brightness control, that can also be "Zoned", ie brighter in the back, controlled to your exactness, in the middle or flipper area.....up to 3 zones on the side, along back, or Apron, if needed.
Mounting tracks on Ebay.

Around $50 for 4-20" strips, white or warm white, plug and play bulb taps, or clips, along with brightness.
Of course you can mix whites and color.

#57 6 years ago

I believe most games have 3 GI strands?

I was able to add 2-20" on either side and one in the back, splitting those 5 pieces on the 3 lines.

As each game is different, along with whether incandescent is still used, plus any mods, its hard to say 100% no issues on any
possible combination.
Im venturing to say if its too much draw, a fuse will blow. Correct?

I put a bunch on shadow, 20" back white, 10" Purple over battle, 2 - 7" strips on Apron, and 2-20" down each side.

But that could fail at this time, as I changed to All Op-Max in GI,
(1 Watt each) because I dont play in pitch darkness, and enjoy some shadows.

For me personally, each game is lit differently, but I have all ambient lighting on dimmer.

Iron Man needs no added lighting, for me.

I think it depends on the look one wants.

Pitch Dark, a fully even, fully lit playfield...12V is needed.

#66 6 years ago

There are 12V micro strips, that the diodes actually project 45 degree lighting.

Im thrilled with the results!

One can see if Comet has gotten them in, as they are 6.3V!! Right into GI.

I had shared them with Stern.

2 weeks later
#75 6 years ago

Ryan has shared that he created a link for a product you guys must try out!

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/50smd6.3vstrip45nw.htm

Its a 20" Strip of 45 degree Lighting at 6.3V. To my knowledge it exists no where else, and was one of the last projects
I was working on.

Its a micro strip, very narrow, with 50 SMD. A comfortable row of lights facing forward, but brilliant light facing down.
Fits to Matrix, and a Matrix bulb, so you can control its brightness in a second, and attach to GI for game affects, or to an insert
for special lighting.

I added my test version to an NBA fastbreak to different inserts and was blown away!

They can be added down the side of a game, and attached to playfield, so there is no need to remove, etc when lifting the playfield.

Im excited to see these available!

#77 6 years ago

To connect to GI, you can solder, use alligator clips, or a plug and play matrix bulb.
Any length of wire, if needed, brightness screw if needed.

Theres info on the site....its hard to say what you yourself need, as each game, and placement, along with trigger info is unique.
Not hard to configure at all....

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sure be nice if they were longer than 20".

That would hopefully next....worth an email to help move it along.
I started that 3 years ago, but would be no issue.
In the meantime, if one wanted a full length, to a degree, two strips on either side can be connected for 40"

Ryan has a limited batch...the initial test run in stock.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I think the issue with the 45 degree is both could not be connected at the rear of the field and you'd end up with a visible wire at the front otherwise one way points 45 degrees down and other 45 degrees up..... Unless they made a left and right side model

Good point until longer strips are made.

A solution would be one connection to GI by the Apron, and then the other side powered by the rear.

Ultimately, these are the first run, and feedback will move it along, if people enjoy.

#93 6 years ago

Only one lead in at this time,

2 months later
#247 6 years ago

If one searches eBay for 5v USB white strips, they will plug into a charger and service plug.
Some games can handle strip attached to GI for matching lighting effects, if desired.

#275 6 years ago

Adjustable Cobs are cool! They come in all lengths, and are a nice choice over strips!

Nano Spots are another method to get more light!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
1 month later
#314 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

I wonder if these would do it if they could just sell me a roll of the leds. He claims they are AC or DC and are fully rectified? Not really sure what is meant here. Thoughts?
https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/6-3V-AC-Bonus-Strip-with_60715295184.html?spm=a2700.9099375.0.0.9bee13333xS3GO
Bonus Strip
They are made from the highest quality plastics and electronic components available.
Voltage 6.3 AC or DC, as these are fully rectified.
This Kit comes with Clips and Sockets 44 / 47 and 555
1 Strip of 6 LEDs/ 3 LEDS/ 7 LEDs

The Picture shown is From Comet Pinball, I took the photo.
The manufacturer shown is autodragons.....one of the worst on Aliexpress or Alibaba.....

1 month later
#352 5 years ago

I think some of the issues with strips and flickering....as I use both the 5V and 6.3 versions, is when GI is instructed to fade...
Same reason an OCD board was needed?

#354 5 years ago

I often chose an always on GI Lamp, or an On/Off Lamp to attach to.
Off course turning Dim off on Games where one can.

I wonder if anyone who installed an OCD Board, in coordination, might have some input.

7 months later
#485 5 years ago

Frosted Strips, and Diffusion Lenses with Mounts can be found.....They reduce spotting significantly, but also drop
brightness a bit...

5 months later
#620 4 years ago

How about this? Clear or Frosted...20", $2.90 each with Free shipping.
Designed for 5050 or 3528.
The Link is not holding, so search this 20inch 0.5m 45degree corner led aluminium profile for 10mm 5050 ,3528 strip

I have a bunch, from several years ago, and am finally unpacking stuff from before the hurricane made a mess.

There are others, they work nicely. There are different vendors which affect cost with heavier metal, Plastic as well as quality of Milky Lens,
Some, I lightly sanded to improve diffusion.

2 RGB Strips, with Controller and these mounts will run $25. Mounting? Well I tested by counter sinking some cut off screws into the cabinet,
and glued neodymium magnets to the LED Strip Housing.

I left off seeing if I could run a step up from the GI to 12V, or if I was going to stick with white/warm white in 6.3v, Enjoying I had four sections to tie in creatively.
Color bombing only looked cool for a couple days.

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

What size are those channels? I'd recommend not going over 1/2" as they just too big in my opinion.

They Are Aluminum and 20% Smaller than your request at 16mm or .4 inches

1 month later
#650 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Has any one just tried sticking these thin light strips directly to the glass? so they just slide out with the glass? I'm pretty sure this is enough of a gap

Quoted from russdx:

Yeah i was thinking just a little connector under the lockdown bar you just connect/ reconnect every time you want to remove the glass.

Yes, Ill try to reset up and get pictures.

4 weeks later
#660 4 years ago

OK, Here it is, The BEST WAY to Light your whole Game Room! One Bulb! See Everything!

1 month later
#676 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

It was mentioned earlier, but not sure if there has been any attempt. Has anyone tried to put the led strips directly on the glass? I'm thinking you could use electric tape first to give a better look from the top side, then place the led strips on that. I understand there would need to be a quick connect at the coin door so that the glass could still easily be removed, but wasn't sure if anyone had tried this yet.

Yes, I have. magnetic connectors, and special 90 degree mini strips....works amazing!

#679 4 years ago

I cant offer any LED products do to my contract.....

8 months later
#768 3 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Success! I swapped a 10uf 25v in for the 3300uf 25v and now the flicker is gone and I have GI effects. No dimming effects on Jackbot, but the GI on/ff effects work perfectly.
Thanks hurryuppinball and aukraut for the great guides and parts lists. Hopefully my discovery of adding the Rectifier Filter with a swapped cap help others stop the flicker.

Could I trouble you to share more on this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 90.00
$ 10.00
£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting?tu=OLDPINGUY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.