pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20230127_013429 (resized).jpg
8 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_175301 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_211008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_210634 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_145140 (resized).jpg

There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 21.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

$5.00 at Walmart. Comes with multi color LED strip, power supply and remote.

They look like they will brighten the mood.

download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Yeah just not right for lighting a pf.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I use these plugs soldered directly to the LED pads for basic white lighting. I don't really care for all the added effects of Pinstadium lighting, but I have half a notion to do a full DIY on how to replicate them for a fraction of the price now.

nice.. can you provide a link to the type of plugs you've used?

The clamp on LED strip type I find to be fickle.. I'd hate it in a pinball cabinet where you'd be moving them around a lot.

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

nice.. can you provide a link to the type of plugs you've used?
The clamp on LED strip type I find to be fickle.. I'd hate it in a pinball cabinet where you'd be moving them around a lot.

ebay.com link: sch I got mine from here, took a couple weeks but the price is right. All kinds of places on ebay sell them.

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see you have the strips pointing down, are they to bright facing out? I love those little RC connectors.

They are actually pointing outward instead of down, and the plugs go to the back of the machine.

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They are actually pointing outward instead of down, and the plugs go to the back of the machine.

Oh yeah dummy me. Sorry.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Just trying to help those on a budget. Sorry it wont happen again.

#258 5 years ago

Just messing around, I would use them for a pinball machine before I would put them around my tv.

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Just messing around, I would use them for a pinball machine before I would put them around my tv.

Don't know, watching HD NFL football with UV Glow might be cool! lolol

#260 5 years ago

Slugfest with stadium lighting. Playfield is very dim normally, now it's nice and bright.

20180409_123906 (resized).jpg20180409_123906 (resized).jpg

20180409_124127 (resized).jpg20180409_124127 (resized).jpg

#261 5 years ago

That looks awesome. What stuff did you use?

#262 5 years ago

Cheap cool white LED strips, each one plugged into a 12v wall wart. Both 12v power supplies are plugged into an extension cord that runs to the service outlet. I used PVC angle strips with magnetic tape on them and the cabinet sides.

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Cheap cool white LED strips, each one plugged into a 12v wall wart. Both 12v power supplies are plugged into an extension cord that runs to the service outlet. I used PVC angle strips with magnetic tape on them and the cabinet sides.

Where did you get the PVC angle strips?

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Where did you get the PVC angle strips?

Amazon. But I actually prefer using aluminum angle strips from Home Depot and spray painting them black. Cheaper than the PVC too.

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Amazon. But I actually prefer using aluminum angle strips from Home Depot and spray painting them black. Cheaper than the PVC too.

Could be wrong as I have not done home remodeling in a Long time but the same low cost angle is used for drop ceilings around the perimeter. Cost like $4 for 12 feet and Was available in white and black. Again, Long time ago but that seems like the easiest Home Depot solution.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Could be wrong as I have not done home remodeling in a Long time but the same low cost angle is used for drop ceilings around the perimeter. Cost like $4 for 12 feet and Was available in white and black. Again, Long time ago but that seems like the easiest Home Depot solution.

Good idea. I'll check it out maybe later today because I need more strips for the rest of my kits.

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Here in Canada at least, Home Depot stocks black aluminum angle strips. It's what I used on the original post in this thread for my Medusa.

#268 5 years ago

I wonder if the clear plastic edge guard you put on the edge of sheet rock wall openings is the same.

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I wonder if the clear plastic edge guard you put on the edge of sheet rock wall openings is the same.

Sure, any angle strip will work and remember that the only visible part of the strip is the top edge. On some of my games the silver aluminum looks nice blended in with stainless steel siderails. On other games with black siderails then I paint the aluminum strips silver. If you can find black angle strips with a 1/4" to 5/8" edge than that saves you some spray painting.

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Sure, any angle strip will work and remember that the only visible part of the strip is the top edge. On some of my games the silver aluminum looks nice blended in with stainless steel siderails. On other games with black siderails then I paint the aluminum strips silver. If you can find black angle strips with a 1/4" to 5/8" edge than that saves you some spray painting.

Yup. I just don't get how these things are held on my magnets.

#271 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup. I just don't get how these things are held on my magnets.

Most magnet tape strips are Adhesive backed. Hard to find an aluminum or plastic magnet. lol

#272 5 years ago

Drop ceiling strip is probably too wide. You are looking for the 1/2" x 1/2" Aluminum angle strips in the hardware-raw material section. They are $2.18 at my location for a 3' piece, or you can get an 8' piece for about $5.50.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks-3-ft-x-1-2-in-Aluminum-Solid-Angle/3053617

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Most magnet tape strips are Adhesive backed. Hard to find an aluminum or plastic magnet. lol

Ah yes I didn't think of that. You mean if you look hard enough you can find those two.

#274 5 years ago

I'm getting reasonable results with these Luxpro triangle lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765BRPBJ

They have magnetic bases so they stay put on side rails, and you can still slide your glass without disturbing them. They tilt downward enough to keep the light out of your eyeline. Sure, they are not as cool as something custom built-in, but it's nice that they aren't permanent and you can move them to other machines as you need them. Plus, no cables. 2 for $20 makes them worth a shot.

My Space Shuttle has always been pretty dark, and these do the trick. Here's a pic with the machine off and the sidelights at the low setting. The GI lighting balances out perfectly when turned on:

IMG_3669 (resized).JPGIMG_3669 (resized).JPG

#275 5 years ago

Adjustable Cobs are cool! They come in all lengths, and are a nice choice over strips!

Nano Spots are another method to get more light!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#276 5 years ago

If I wanted WRGB where the color is customizable through a controller or app but the on / off is controlled by the GI is the only way to use something like the pinduino solution? Or are there any wrgb strips that can be connected to the GI?

Not looking to clown puke but the ability to add a little yellow or tiny bit of blue is appealing.

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If I wanted WRGB where the color is customizable through a controller or app but the on / off is controlled by the GI is the only way to use something like the pinduino solution? Or are there any wrgb strips that can be connected to the GI?
Not looking to clown puke but the ability to add a little yellow or tiny bit of blue is appealing.

You could buy a WRGB controller with app control on E-bay and make it switch on-off with a relay. I did a write-up what you need earlier in this thread.

#278 5 years ago

You should be able to use something like this and not have to use pinduino.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Controller-JACKYLED-Multicolor-Included/dp/B074Z3SPX4

#279 5 years ago

------------------------------------------
STADIUM LIGHTS + GI INTEGRATION
------------------------------------------

Here's how you can replicate the PinStadium w/ GI Module Kit yourself and save big $$$.

(MANDATORY DISCLAIMER: Any modifications you make to your own games are at your own risk. I cannot and do not guarantee or warranty the advice provided below. Proceed with caution!)

-----------
FEATURES
-----------

- RGBW LED stadium lighting for full matrix of color shading possibilities.
- Color and brightness controlled via Bluetooth LED controller w/ smartphone app.
- GI integration with your game so the stadium lights turn on/off with your GI lighting

-------
PARTS
-------

These are the parts I sourced from Canada, priced in Cdn $. Similar equivalents are widely available on the US Amazon and Ebay stores.

RGBW LED Light Strips
- SMD 5050 RGBW LED Strip Waterproof Flexible LED Light RGB+White/Warm White 12V
- ebay.com link: itm
- $8.70

Sunix® UFO Bluetooth RGB/RGBW LED Strip Light Controller
- DC 12-24V Mini Controller With Remote Function for IOS or Android Smartphones
- https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01J5A5XG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
- $18.99

Power Adapter
- Make sure you get a 12v, 2A (amp) power adapter. You will need at least 1.5a to power the RBGW strips + bluetooth controller module.
- ebay.com link: Adapter Charger Power Supply for LED Strip Light DC 5 6 9 12V 1 2 3A AC110 220V
- $6

GI Relay
- 12V 2 Channel Relay Module With Optocoupler Support High Low Level Trigger
- ebay.com link: itm
- This model has 2 separate controllable channels, you technically only need a single channel model, but either will work.
- $6.69 for 3 ($2.23 each).
- These are so inexpensive it's worth buying several so you have spares.

Wire
- Need 5 wires/colors of 18 gauge stranded wire, about 20ft long.
- $20

Total cost approx. $60 Cdn. vs >$300 Cdn for PinStadiums.

------------------
HOW IT WORKS
------------------

When the GI lights are on it signals the relay to close the positive circuit to the LED Controller module, which provides 12v DC power to it (turns it on), which then lights the LED strip lights.

When the GI lights are off it signals the relay to open the positive circuit to the LED Controller module, stopping the flow of 12v DC power to it and turning it and the LED strip lights off.

------------------------
ASSEMBLY & WIRING
------------------------

1. You will need to mount the LED strips onto suitable corner bracket material of your choice, as noted in other posts in this thread.

2. Solder the 18g wires to the LED strips, there are 5 wires required; Red, Green, Blue, White, and Neutral/Ground. This is trickier than just using a 2-wire system with WW or W LED strips, the 5 wires are pretty bulky and heavier, you will need to secure them to the corner bracket well with tape or heat shrink material. If you solder them one segment further "in" from the end of the strip the corner bracket can help support them. This is the most difficult part of the process.

3. Route the wires through the back of the PF and up the bottom to a suitable mounting location for the relay and LED Controller. I haven't used connectors on mine but it would be nice if a suitable 5 wire connector could be found so the strips could be easily removed from the top of the game.

4. Connect the 5 wires to the LED Controller outputs, combining the matching colored wires from both led strips into the corresponding output from the controller (left red wire + right red wire into controller R output, L blue wire + R blue wire into controller B output, etc.).

5. You need to find a source for GI power to act as an input to the relay to turn the LED strip lights on/off with the GI lighting. Note that GI lighting is typically 6.3v AC current.
5a. I couldn't find anything to indicate if an AC signal could be used as an input to the relay so I tried it and it did work but the relay failed after a while. I don't think it is a good idea to mix the AC ground with the DC ground on the relay, but with my limited high school electronics knowledge I can't explain why. Maybe an electronics expert like barakandl can help out here?
5b. I made a useful hack with an LED bulb to convert my GI AC current to DC current to feed into the relay. Basically using an old socket I wired the GI to the socket, took apart an LED bulb and soldered wires to the leads that were connected to the LED emitter itself (the bulb converts the AC to DC). Now I have DC inputs from the GI lighting for my relay.

GI LED bulb hacked to feed DC power to the relayGI LED bulb hacked to feed DC power to the relay

6. Connect the LED Controller to the Relay, 12v Power Adapter, and GI output as follows:

Note that I am using channel #2 on the relay in this setup, you could use channel #1 if you wanted instead, or a single channel relay.
Configure this relay by installing the provided jumper to connect the COM and HIGH pins for S2 (channel 2). This tells the relay that for channel 2 it should activate when a positive (high) signal is received at IN2 (turn on the 12v juice to the LED controller when the GI is lit).

Power Adapter + -> Relay DC +
Power Adapter - -> Relay DC -
LED Controller + -> Relay NO2
LED Controller - -> Relay DC -
Relay COM2 -> Relay DC -
GI bulb + -> Relay IN2
GI bulb - -> Relay DC -

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.46.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.46.40 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.46.19 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.46.19 AM (resized).png
relaywiring (resized).JPGrelaywiring (resized).JPG

7. I mounted the relay and the LED controller to the bottom of the playfield (lots of room for it on my Met Pro) using small pieces of velcro strips. They are adhesive backed and the components are light enough that they hold them securely without issue, and are easily removed to be worked on, etc.

Mounted (resized).JPGMounted (resized).JPG

8. Plug in the power adapter to the service outlet on your game. Note that relay will turn off the LED Controller when the GI is off, so it will only use a tiny amount of power at the relay if left on. My game is on a controlled power circuit so I use that to turn it's wall plug on/off.

-------------
OPERATION
-------------

With the GI and LED lights on (service mode or something where they aren't going to flash on/off on you) you can sync up the app on your phone to the Bluetooth LED Controller and configure the light brightness and shading etc. that you want. These will be used everytime the controller is powered on by the relay.

Enjoy incredible full-spectrum Stadium lighting that turns on and off with your GI lighting!

Added over 5 years ago:

EDIT(Oct. 14th, 2018)>>

It has been pointed out that the written instructions on how to wire up the relay module has an error.

This line: “Relay COM2 -> Relay DC -“ is incorrect! It should be “Relay COM2 -> Relay DC +”.

So sorry for any lost time due to this stupid mistake on my part. The picture was correct...

Also to clarify when I modified the led bulb I removed the led itself and just tapped into the wires that were connected to it. I don’t think this led modification is actually necessary as it does function without it just connected directly to the gi socket. I think my first relay failed due to the rapid switching when it would shut off and on quickly and continuously due to using an underpowered 12v adaptor.

#280 5 years ago

Awesome guide, thank you! I'd like to see if someone has a different idea for the ac to DC conversion but I think I'm ready to start ordering parts after reading your guide.

#282 5 years ago

I also kind of worry about the greenish laser my fitness watch shoots into my wrist continuously to read my pulse... What's that going to do to me in 5 years?

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

What's that going to do to me in 5 years?

Nothing. You hand will have fallen off by then.

LTG : )

#284 5 years ago

Ok, so I built some stadium lights and noticed if the machine is on for a while and warms up, the magnet starts to separate from the channel, I'm using .5 plastic corner guards. Is there a specific brand of magnet tape or extra double sided tape I need to use to keep them secured?

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_mutha:

Ok, so I built some stadium lights and noticed if the machine is on for a while and warms up, the magnet starts to separate from the channel, I'm using .5 plastic corner guards. Is there a specific brand of magnet tape or extra double sided tape I need to use to keep them secured?

I bought one roll of magnet tape that didn't have as sticky a backing as other rolls I used. So now I superglue the magnet strip to the channel and I'll use a little Elmer's white glue on the magnet strips on the sidewalls.

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_mutha:

did you clean the channel with some alcohol before you stuck it on?

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I bought one roll of magnet tape that didn't have as sticky a backing as other rolls I used. So now I superglue the magnet strip to the channel and I'll use a little Elmer's white glue on the magnet strips on the sidewalls.

I recently "completed" my Met project but had the same issue. Magenetic tape I bought at Home Depot for like $6 a roll failed to adhere to either the sideart in the cabinet or the plastic channel. I even sanded both lightly first. Seemed like the glue never really sets up, just stays sticky. I don't think adding superglue would work unless I could remove the sticky glue that's already on the magnet strip first.

So I ordered some "3M" Magnetic tape from China on ebay, haven't received it yet. Hopefully it has glue that will set in 24hrs.

I remember the Pinstadium guy mentioning that it took them awhile to find the right kind of glue/magnetic tape as well.

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I recently "completed" my Met project but had the same issue. Magenetic tape I bought at Home Depot for like $6 a roll failed to adhere to either the sideart in the cabinet or the plastic channel. I even sanded both lightly first. Seemed like the glue never really sets up, just stays sticky. I don't think adding superglue would work unless I could remove the sticky glue that's already on the magnet strip first.
So I ordered some "3M" Magnetic tape from China on ebay, haven't received it yet. Hopefully it has glue that will set in 24hrs.
I remember the Pinstadium guy mentioning that it took them awhile to find the right kind of glue/magnetic tape as well.

The magnet tape I bought on amazon seems to work fine. I got the same tape from Home Depot that you did and had the same results with adhesion. But $1 package of super glue from the Dollar Store fixes that.

#289 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your reply! I think I'll try getting both led and magnet tape without the adhesive and use amazing goop 2. Not sure how well it will work, but man that stuff sticks to EVERYTHING!

#290 5 years ago

I saw some people asking about what channels to use. I wasn't able to find any plastic ones I liked, so I ended up using aluminum channels that are black anodized. The listing for what I bought is gone, but this is the same kind of thing:

ebay.com link: Aluminum Angle Black Anodized 20 Gauge 0 040 30 x 1 2 x 1 2

If you need to cut them, you can either use paint or a simple black sharpie to cover any smalls bare metal spots.

Quoted from Fytr:

I used this magnetic tape from Amazon and haven't had any issues with it coming off:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HYDC68

#291 5 years ago

I am epoxying 1/2" thin rare earth magnets to the rails, and stapling a small piece of pallet banding (already black) to the cabinet for them to stick to. They are plenty strong, and half the thickness of magnetic tape.

#292 5 years ago

Is everyone who loves stadium lighting like playing in the dark? I made a set early on in the thread for DM and found indirect above lighting is better for me as I play with the lights on.

#293 5 years ago

I thought poor man stadium lights was just turning n the lights.

#294 5 years ago

My room is mostly dark, so there is no glare on the glass. Also have black ceilings for the same reason. I personally don't care for my game room feeling as bright as a TV studio. If you have strong ambient lighting, you probably wouldn't need anything. Stadium lights also help with old Data East games in dark rooms since LED GI on them nearly gives you seizures. $15 in material is a lot cheaper than one of those $100 GI smoother boards.

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sunix® UFO Bluetooth RGB/RGBW LED Strip Light Controller
- DC 12-24V Mini Controller With Remote Function for IOS or Android Smartphones
- amazon.com link »
- $18.99

Would any of the cheaper bluetooth controllers work? Like this:

ebay.com link: Bluetooth Wireless Music Remote Smartphone Controller for RGB LED Strip Light

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Is everyone who loves stadium lighting like playing in the dark? I made a set early on in the thread for DM and found indirect above lighting is better for me as I play with the lights on.

I play mostly in the dark or dim lighting since I don't play during the daytime.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Would any of the cheaper bluetooth controllers work? Like this:
ebay.com link » Bluetooth Wireless Music Remote Smartphone Controller For Rgb Led Strip Light

That seems like it would work fine, however a couple of differences from the one I posted are:

- You need to connect the LED strip using the connector format that it uses. With mine you can just push the bare wires into the slots and tighten the screws to connect the strips. So to use this you also need to acquire some connectors that will fit it and solder those to your wires, etc.

- It says it supports RGB LED strips, mine uses RGBW strips. RGB is just red blue green and to make white you turn all those on. RGBW inlcudes a separate line of white LEDs as well as RGB ones. The RGBW ones provide more flexibility for color-tinting while still providing a general level of overall brightness. My feeling is that the best examples you see where it basically looks like normal white RGB but some of the key playfield colors "pop" are using RGBW.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

That seems like it would work fine, however a couple of differences from the one I posted are:
- You need to connect the LED strip using the connector format that it uses. With mine you can just push the bare wires into the slots and tighten the screws to connect the strips. So to use this you also need to acquire some connectors that will fit it and solder those to your wires, etc.
- It says it supports RGB LED strips, mine uses RGBW strips. RGB is just red blue green and to make white you turn all those on. RGBW inlcudes a separate line of white LEDs as well as RGB ones. The RGBW ones provide more flexibility for color-tinting while still providing a general level of overall brightness. My feeling is that the best examples you see where it basically looks like normal white RGB but some of the key playfield colors "pop" are using RGBW.

Gotcha. So more like this one:
(you have to choose rgbw before you click BIN)

ebay.com link: Bluetooth LED Controller 12V 33A RGB 42A RGBW For 5050 RGB RGBW LED Strip Light

#299 5 years ago

So can anyone here tell me what the best brand rgbw strip to get? It seems like all the one I have ordered are very flimsy and don't lay really flat against the channel to get good adhesion. I know there are different thickness of Pcb that will make them more rigid, but I'm having a hard time locating them, or at least there's no descriptions saying what the pcb oz's are on Amazon.

Thanks for all the help!

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Gotcha. So more like this one:
(you have to choose rgbw before you click BIN)
ebay.com link » Bluetooth Led Controller 12v 33a Rgb 42a Rgbw For 5050 Rgb Rgbw Led Strip Light

Yeah, that seems like it should work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/6?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.