pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20230127_013429 (resized).jpg
8 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_175301 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_211008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_210634 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_145140 (resized).jpg

There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.
#151 6 years ago

Quoted from MustangPaul:You could get a 60 for more even light and run them with a 9v wall wart.

I have never tried that before, but it sounds like a very good idea. I already have 60 per meter strips, I will look and see if I have a 9 volt power supply.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I have never tried that before, but it sounds like a very good idea. I already have 60 per meter strips, I will look and see if I have a 9 volt power supply.

Why the aversion to the light controller? They are dirt cheap and then you can also add on/off if you want, etc.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Had to do it.

Holy shit. That is fantastic.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why the aversion to the light controller?

Who's got them?

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why the aversion to the light controller?

No aversion to them, just want to have it simple, reliable and automatic.

#156 6 years ago

And now Steve at PinRefinary is moving in on the space...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mi-pinball-refinery-gi-lighting-rail-for-all-makes-of-pinball

pinstadium guys will point out the controller he includes (looks like Steve's is not app controlled) but the warning shot has been fired

#157 6 years ago

Ebay Take your pick of IR, bluetooth, etc. Styles depend on if you are doing RGB vs single color, etc. My single color LEDs are controlled with a simple $8 controller like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHKCTLE

One I used more than 2 years ago... gives me brightness and on/off for 3 sets of lights wired downstream of it.

These days the power supplies almost cost more than the LEDs and controllers... including the App ones.

#158 6 years ago

$40 is not that bad including some mark up for your time. I made mine first cheap for $28. That's with the LED's on sale. Granted a 16' roll is enough for two machines.

Ps Amazon has dimmers with ir remote for $6. Made my lights so much better.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And now Steve at PinRefinary is moving in on the space...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mi-pinball-refinery-gi-lighting-rail-for-all-makes-of-pinball
pinstadium guys will point out the controller he includes (looks like Steve's is not app controlled) but the warning shot has been fired

Hey Finnibus....

I've offered LED lighting rails for years in several machines ....Metallica, Stern Star Trek, Rob Zombie, Demo Man on Steroids, ect.... But as flashers not GI lighting. Some of my customers have asked me to offer Lighting rail but for only GI lighting. I finally have time to release them for everyone in the hobby.

Thanks for the plug,

Steve
MI Pinball Refinery

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

$40 is not that bad including some mark up for your time.

I'm offering them for the guys who just want to plug them using my pictured directions and not to make them.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

I'm offering them for the guys who just want to plug them using my pictured directions and not to make them.

I don't have a smart phone so yours would work for me but I do wish they were dimmable.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I don't have a smart phone so yours would work for me but I do wish they were dimmable.

You could put a drop resistor the make them dimmer. I am not sure if you would want to put a trim pot variable resistor on them. I don't think it would last due to the current draw on the LEDs

#163 6 years ago

Add this and you got everything one needs for dimmable app controllable lights:

https://www.amazon.com/YiHong-Controller-Lights-Remote-Compatible/dp/B076Z7C2X7/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

#164 6 years ago

Yes I agree the price is not bad for the people who:
Do not want to spend $100+ on lights
Do not want to /desire to make something themselves.

I think your price is very reasonable since I've built a set myself for only a little less than that!

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Add this and you got everything one needs:
amazon.com link »

Yeah... I could do that to the ones I'm offering and it would be full controllable with your smart phone. It's just adding different harnesses for the LED strips and making a power harness to run this controller. But it's nothing I haven't done before.

Steve
MI Pinball Refinery

Added Edit.....

I just ordered 1 of these controllers and I'll do some testing on them inside some pinball machines... Thanks again for pointing this out to me.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

I think your price is very reasonable since I've built a set myself for only a little less than that!

Steve's pricing is great. At his price why take the time to make your own unless you just enjoy that sort of thing which I do not.

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Thanks... I have to get something for my time to take the order, keep supplies in stock, build them, write picture direction, answer questions, box them up and ship them. I feel this is a reason price for what you're getting.

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Steve's pricing is great. At his price why take the time to make your own unless you just enjoy that sort of thing which I do not.

I'm going these because customer have requested me to do them without all of the fancy controller so I can keep my prices low and still offer a great product and customer service to everyone. I don't mind making them, I've made lighting rails for years, these are just a different version.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Yes I'm one of those people sometimes it's a bad character trait. I bought used twin cylinder cast head 20 gallon compressor for $30 at a yard sale so I can restore it and have something I can use a hvlp gun with. Turned out tank was too questionable with rust inside, rebuild kit, new ss line, flywheel had a crack, making belt guard, I could have bought a brand new portercable cast head 20 gal compressor and saved some money.

But the trip was fun, leaned new techniques and it's the nicest old compressor I have used. Superseded cfm output from factory manual due to honing and rebuild .

#170 6 years ago

Ok... on a side note... I totally did frame off restoration 70 Chevelle myself including painting it in my younger days... Here's a during and done pictures. I will not do this again too much work....

Sorry for getting off topic.

20180107_210854 (resized).jpg20180107_210854 (resized).jpg
20180107_210954 (resized).jpg20180107_210954 (resized).jpg

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

At $95 for an wrgb set these are more like “upper middle class” stadium lights.

It is always good to have more competitive options of course, especially for folks not interested in rolling their own. But unless all you want is uncontrolled white GI ($40) it’s still going to be way less expensive to make them yourself.

I’m waiting for my 12v relays to arrive and will be finishing my Metallica project with full phone app controllable wrgb plus integration with the playfield GI and will post a complete how-to here once it’s complete.

#172 6 years ago

The only thing I'm not a fan of is seeing all of the SMD "dots" of these strips reflected off the ramps, PFs, etc. Had anyone had any success with a diffuser of some sort to get the light w/o the spotting effect on reflective surfaces?

#173 6 years ago

Searched diffused led strip light and came across this company. Some interesting products and I think this strip cover might work well.

https://www.solidapollo.com/78-Milky-LED-Strip-Diffuser/Cover.html

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Add this and you got everything one needs for dimmable app controllable lights:
amazon.com link »

does it have to be Wifi?

on aliexpress the bluetooth dongles are like less then 4$

#175 6 years ago

Has anyone looking into these mini strip leds at 3mm tall seems you could make a low profile setup?

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#176 6 years ago

Agree with the power supplies being almost more expensive than the lights. I made a set for my D&D,
but have enough left over for another machine. Almost as much for a power supply as buying another light kit. Anyone found cheaper power supply options?

Here is my result at 20%. Need the dimmer for sure.

Also something to diffuse the bulbs is my next priority.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Ebay Take your pick of IR, bluetooth, etc. Styles depend on if you are doing RGB vs single color, etc. My single color LEDs are controlled with a simple $8 controller like this
amazon.com link »
One I used more than 2 years ago... gives me brightness and on/off for 3 sets of lights wired downstream of it.
These days the power supplies almost cost more than the LEDs and controllers... including the App ones.

IMG_20180205_2002032 (resized).jpgIMG_20180205_2002032 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180205_2002344 (resized).jpgIMG_20180205_2002344 (resized).jpg

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Anyone found cheaper power supply options?

Always save "wall wart" power supplies from old appliances and electronics. I have a box full of power supplies and use them for my LED kits.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I have a box full of power supplies and use them for my LED kits.

I thought I was the only one! Me wife yells at me, why do you collect this crap!

#179 6 years ago

Used 30 led per meter strips instead of 60 and it came out a brightness level that was just right. These were rgb but those rgb controllers broke off quite easy, so I just soldered to the blue.

IMAG1097 (resized).jpgIMAG1097 (resized).jpg

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Thin LED strip - 5mm
ebay.com link » 3528 5m Led Strip Narrow Side 5mm Width Flexible Light 60led M Dc12v Brightness
Double density LED's!
ebay.com link » 5m 3014 216leds M 12v Led Tape Indoor Ultra Narrow Decorative Lighting Led Strip
Now where to find the littlest channel?

A bit expensive, but something like this would be perfect: https://jet.com/product/detail/470113b0f58549ca888b5114c28dd689

#182 6 years ago

12v tapped into power board vs 6.3 tapped into gi, doing my head in which way to go , what does everyone think, also just going with white , another question cool or warm white ,
Cheers

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from newy16216:

12v tapped into power board vs 6.3 tapped into gi, doing my head in which way to go , what does everyone think, also just going with white , another question cool or warm white ,
Cheers

Why not go 110v/12v wall wart plugged into the service outlet and plug that into an 8 way splitter, $25 at PBL. Then you'd have 7 more 12v outlets for other mods and your not taxing the game power board especially on older games.

IMGA0596 (resized).JPGIMGA0596 (resized).JPG

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from newy16216:

Cheers

GI tap might be too much load on the circuit. 12v adapter into the service plug is safe.

WW vs W depends on the game. Anything with lots of reds, oranges, or yellows on the PF will need WW. What game is this for?

#185 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies sounds like 12v is the go , have seven games Iam thinking of doing , fish tales first to see how it goes, judge dredd , wcs, party zone , might have to get ww and w to see which is best

#186 6 years ago

So what is everyone finding best to use for the L-Channel to mount the LED's?

1 week later
#187 6 years ago

Got some new games in that needed lighting. Jurassic needs an LED kit with a remote so I can dim the brightness, so that kit will be swapped into Slugfest when I get the kit.

20180312_205033 (resized).jpg20180312_205033 (resized).jpg

20180312_225615 (resized).jpg20180312_225615 (resized).jpg

20180309_205111 (resized).jpg20180309_205111 (resized).jpg

20180309_205133 (resized).jpg20180309_205133 (resized).jpg

#188 6 years ago

Newb question here, but any recommendation where I could get a color changing strip of LEDs with a external power plug. Looking to power with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD1D5RP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

#189 6 years ago

If anyone is interested in a some nice enclosure dimmer controllers for the "do it your self lighting rails"... I have a surplus of them that I am selling and they work perfect for this application. I have them in stock, ready to go for only $10.00 with free shipping inside the USA...

Here is a link to my website to order them: https://www.mipinballrefinery.com/store-to-order-upgrades#!/Dimmer-Controller-for-RGB-strips/p/102666852/category=26841052

Thanks everyone,

Steve
MI Pinball Refinery

#190 6 years ago

Cool thread. I made a light for my dartboard the same way, and I was just thinking that it could be a good pin lighting solution. But seeing some of the pics here, I’m a little hesitant. It seems that you need just the right color, or your pin starts to look like a grocery aisle. So, a highly tweaked RGB solution does actually make sense to me.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

or your pin starts to look like a grocery aisle.

#192 6 years ago

My preferred solution for dark DMDs pins to add more spotlights. For the older games, I adjust my overhead lights with a dimmer until they look just right. PDI glass helps, but it’s expensive. It seems like diffusion is the biggest issue for the PinStadium solution. All those reflected lights would bother me.

What would be really cool is a metal channel along the side with 3-4 incandescent spotlights, that you could swing up out of the way when you needed to lift the playfield. Hmmm...

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My preferred solution for dark DMDs pins to add more spotlights. For the older games, I adjust my overhead lights with a dimmer until they look just right. PDI glass helps, but it’s expensive. It seems like diffusion is the biggest issue for the PinStadium solution. All those reflected lights would bother me.

I don’t notice it in person. More predominant in pictures and videos. The biggest gripe I had was seeing them when you were a few games down, but they’ve since updated them to eliminate that.

#194 6 years ago

If anyone is interested in a some nice enclosure dimmer controller for the "do it your self lighting rails"... I have a surplus of them that I am selling and they work perfect for this application. I have them in stock, ready to go for only $10.00 with free shipping inside the USA...
Here is a link to my website to order them: https://www.mipinballrefinery.com/store-to-order-upgrades#!/Dimmer-Controller-for-RGB-strips/p/102666852/category=26841052
Thanks everyone,
Steve
MI Pinball Refinery

Just ordered 4 of them. Thanks for the deal Steve. Sorry to hear you won't be offering your lights for sale.

#195 6 years ago

I just ordered 5M of 5V LED light strips on Amazon in warm and cool whites. I put a small strip together to go under the apron to light the rear flipper area. I wired directly into the GI and so far it works great.

20180313_165047 (resized).jpg20180313_165047 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#196 5 years ago

Sorry i know this has probably been covered before. I looked through the posts here and couldn't find it. I heard i needed a seperate power supply to run my stadium lights in an old williams game ( in my case T2). The problem is the power tap in the machine is always on (has power going to it all the time) whether the machine is turned on or turned off. Is there a way i can rewire the inside of the power tap box to make the power only active when the machine is turned on? So the stadium lights only turn on when the machine is powered on? Does anyone have pics of one rewired for this? I would probably need pics to understand. Thanks so much

20180331_184013 (resized).jpg20180331_184013 (resized).jpg

20180331_184133 (resized).jpg20180331_184133 (resized).jpg

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Sorry i know this has probably been covered before. I looked through the posts here and couldn't find it. I heard i needed a seperate power supply to run my stadium lights in an old williams game ( in my case T2). The problem is the power tap in the machine is always on (has power going to it all the time) whether the machine is turned on or turned off. Is there a way i can rewire the inside of the power tap box to make the power only active when the machine is turned on? So the stadium lights only turn on when the machine is powered on? Does anyone have pics of one rewired for this? I would probably need pics to understand. Thanks so much

Yikes either your camera is WAY off or you plugged into the 220v circuit! Turn it down man or your likely to get sunburn! My guess is its the camera setting just giving you a hard time.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yikes either your camera is WAY off or you plugged into the 220v circuit! Turn it down man or your likely to get sunburn! My guess is its the camera setting just giving you a hard time.

The adapter i used is a 12v 3 amp. The adapter should lower the current to that right? Its also UV lights too, i notice that the UV lights always look like that in pics.

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

The adapter i used is a 12v 3 amp. The adapter should lower the current to that right? Its also UV lights too, i notice that the UV lights always look like that in pics.

OK, I see the problem. You purchased Pin Stadium lights and your posting for support in the Non pin stadium lights forum. Go to the Pin Stadium lights thread and Scott will jump all over this ASAP. Good Luck

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

OK, I see the problem. You purchased Pin Stadium lights and your posting for support in the Non pin stadium lights forum. Go to the Pin Stadium lights thread and Scott will jump all over this ASAP. Good Luck

No they are not pinstadiums. They are from steve at pinball refinery. He directed me here. Said he read somewhere in this thread someone posted how to rewire the power box. Sorry for the confusion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.