Topic Stats

• 710 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 245 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 238 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

39372E37-716A-4B17-A8AD-7AFD45F4A58B (resized).jpeg
B9FBD5E6-0202-4BEE-A3A5-1B7C4A9C0236 (resized).jpeg
FBD8FC66-40D7-46C7-B49F-A3B2DEFB5924 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.30.41 PM (resized).png
23b4ae9169362b3a728a2965b73c719f (resized).jpg
IMG_7226 (resized).JPG
IMG_7096 (resized).JPG
IMG_7097 (resized).JPG
IMG_7098 (resized).JPG
IMG_7099 (resized).JPG
IMG_7100 (resized).JPG
IMG_7102 (resized).JPG
59703606999__786F7F70-60A1-4032-9541-DADB0C9FE140 (resized).JPG
66DC4762-B1DC-42B8-8776-15B10EDFC092 (resized).jpeg
9D266C55-DB01-478D-811E-962FF19F43F2 (resized).jpeg
IMGA0812 (resized).JPG

There are 710 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 42 days ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

I just finished uploading a tutorial regarding how to install the playfield lights form my first tutorial. I made short and long versions of this video. If you plan on building and installing these lights, be sure to check out the full versions of each.
Full Version:

Short HurryUp Version:

nice job man, thanks for taking the time to post step by step video

#702 42 days ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

There has been tons of great discussion in this thread. Your post/vids are really great for putting a ton of information together in a great package. I think I may actually order up some parts and try to make a set now. Thanks a ton man!

I may play around with some different controllers (WiFi & Bluetooth) as that is an option with these lights. It’s easy to swap the sensor box. When I get a chance, I’ll be sure to post an update.

#703 42 days ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

I may play around with some different controllers (WiFi & Bluetooth) as that is an option with these lights. It’s easy to swap the sensor box. When I get a chance, I’ll be sure to post an update.

Thanks for the awesome walk-throughs and videos, they get me closer to building my own. Question - Have you tried to include a relay to tie them in with the GI for on/off sync? Several of my machines dim and power off the GI for effects and I would like to preserve that feature. This is the main reason why I've avoided building these lights and is the reason I've purchased a set of Pinstadiums in the past.

#704 41 days ago

I have not tried installing a relay for a tie in to the GI yet. If anyone has advice on how to tie these in it would be much appreciated. I have run these independent of the GI for simplicity sake but improvements are always on my mind.

#705 41 days ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Thanks for the awesome walk-throughs and videos, they get me closer to building my own. Question - Have you tried to include a relay to tie them in with the GI for on/off sync? Several of my machines dim and power off the GI for effects and I would like to preserve that feature. This is the main reason why I've avoided building these lights and is the reason I've purchased a set of Pinstadiums in the past.

Depends if you want to drop a few more bucks into the system. I used a Game On Interactive Power Supply on my ST:TNG. Rock Custom Pinball makes them and sells them for $45. I rewired my auxiliary 110 power supply to come on and off with the game switch. After that it's pretty much Plug and Play. Positive is the lights go on and off with the game. You also have additional leads to power other 12 volt accessories. The only negative was that most of the cheap LED controllers reset if you switch them on and off three times quickly. So when you go into multi-ball mode LED lights go back to the factory original when the lights start going on and off. To overcome this I had to buy a bit more expensive LED controller that did not reset by turning it on and off.

#706 41 days ago

Here is what worked for me for GI integration (Which was a must have for me). I wasn't able to use the GI Relay approach described in this thread. It just didn't work for me. Perhaps because i'm not using a separate 12V power supply, but is using 12V straight from the machine.

But using really cheap parts from china, i built this little "GI controller board". It keeps a total separation between the machines GI and the new LED strips:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/8#post-4634907
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/8#post-4638294

I realise this approach isn't for anyone, but it is actually really easy to build...

3 weeks later
#707 15 days ago

Hi!

Need some help: I've been using ca. 5 x one-inch long velcro tape pieces to attach the stadium lightning bar to the cabinet. However, the leds strips I am using are getting somewhat hot when playing and I notice that the velcro-tape glue seems to start melting a bit in such manner that I have to adjust the lightning bars quite often. I have also tried magnetic tape instead of velcro, but with those it seems that the magnetic strips seems to attach to each other too well, while the magnetic tape attached to the bar seemed to cave in.

What kind of velcro tapes are you using - I would prefer using velcro instead of the magnetic tape, but I would just need to get the velcro stick to the bar. Is there some holy grail of a velcro tape, whose glue can hold up to heat?

Thanks for any tips!

#708 14 days ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Hi!
Need some help: I've been using ca. 5 x one-inch long velcro tape pieces to attach the stadium lightning bar to the cabinet. However, the leds strips I am using are getting somewhat hot when playing and I notice that the velcro-tape glue seems to start melting a bit in such manner that I have to adjust the lightning bars quite often. I have also tried magnetic tape instead of velcro, but with those it seems that the magnetic strips seems to attach to each other too well, while the magnetic tape attached to the bar seemed to cave in.
What kind of velcro tapes are you using - I would prefer using velcro instead of the magnetic tape, but I would just need to get the velcro stick to the bar. Is there some holy grail of a velcro tape, whose glue can hold up to heat?
Thanks for any tips!

Epoxy the strip on.

#709 14 days ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Hi!
Thanks for any tips!

I used this. It works great - maybe too great. I have to separate my lights from the cabinet by running a credit card through the Velcro. It really holds. Super strong adhesive, too. Cut the strips down to 1/2” wide.

39372E37-716A-4B17-A8AD-7AFD45F4A58B (resized).jpeg
#710 12 days ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Hi!
Thanks for any tips!

lowes sells some 3m velcro tape and it is crazy strong.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charleston, SC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 710 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside