pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20230127_013429 (resized).jpg
8 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_175301 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_211008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_210634 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230125_145140 (resized).jpg
There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.
#651 4 years ago

Does anybody have a solution for a RGBW LED controller reset issue? I went with a Konxie Smart WiFi RGBW LED Controller, off of Amazon. it uses Magic Home Pro has the Wi-Fi controller program. I power it through a Game On power supply that goes on and off with the GI lights. Theproblem is during multi-ball if the GI lights go on and off 3 times the LED controller resets to flashing random colors. Three times on and off is how you reset the LED controller. Any idea how to override this reset? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a LED controller that doesn't reset by going on and off?

1 week later
#652 4 years ago

I've been reading this thread off and on for a while now. I've created maybe 5 sets of DIY's to great effect, however I've run into an issue, the magnet system I was using works great on my games with non stainless steel mirror blades, but my new MBRLE's blades are non magnetic, and my soon to arrive JPLE has art blades. How are people attaching their DIY's without attaching semi permanent velcro or double sided tape? Apologies if this has been brought up many times.

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I've been reading this thread off and on for a while now. I've created maybe 5 sets of DIY's to great effect, however I've run into an issue, the magnet system I was using works great on my games with non stainless steel mirror blades, but my new MBRLE's blades are non magnetic, and my soon to arrive JPLE has art blades. How are people attaching their DIY's without attaching semi permanent velcro or double sided tape? Apologies if this has been brought up many times.

I really cannot provide much help here - I use 5 about 4 cm long velcro-tape strips per each rail and they seem to hold quite well. The magnetic tape that Pinstadium uses/used (?) was not any good with my pinball machine as it kept falling off. So far I've been able to remove velcro-tape quite easily - but I guess it depends on the glue different manufacturers use.

#654 4 years ago

I have a set that you insert between the mirror blade and the cabinet. Works great. It is an L -form with a U-form attached. inside the U form the led strik is. Between the L and the U there is enough space to fit the mirrorblade. The mirror blades are loose at the top, only fitted with screws at the bottom.
Does this make any sense?

#655 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I have a set that you insert between the mirror blade and the cabinet. Works great. It is an L -form with a U-form attached. inside the U form the led strik is. Between the L and the U there is enough space to fit the mirrorblade. The mirror blades are loose at the top, only fitted with screws at the bottom.
Does this make any sense?

Yeah ok, I think I get it... would love to see a close up pic if you have the time.

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Yeah ok, I think I get it... would love to see a close up pic if you have the time.

20191019_224258 (resized).jpg20191019_224258 (resized).jpg
#657 4 years ago
Quoted from T2F14:

. Three times on and off is how you reset the LED controller.

A large capacitor? How long is it off?

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you want to take your DIY lighting to the next level you can always put DIY LED tape strips around your whole room![quoted image]

I did that in my garage/gameroom II. 2 rgb stripes, one facing up and one facing down. Lights up my Mustang way cool.

IMGA0808 (resized).JPGIMGA0808 (resized).JPGIMGA0809 (resized).JPGIMGA0809 (resized).JPGIMGA0812 (resized).JPGIMGA0812 (resized).JPG
#659 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

[quoted image]

Those look great! where do you get your channels?

#660 4 years ago

OK, Here it is, The BEST WAY to Light your whole Game Room! One Bulb! See Everything!

#661 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

OK, Here it is, The BEST WAY to Light your whole Game Room! One Bulb! See Everything!

I love it. Now I can multitask. Play my pins, grow my weed, and get a tan all at once

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_mutha:

Those look great! where do you get your channels?

At my local store. But sure you can find some online.

#663 4 years ago

Not sure how but the Stadium light people got hold of my primary email account and sent me a spam advertisement before Expo. Rather than bump their spam thread to complain, I figured I would post here. I of course unsubscribed, but that is not the point. I don't like spam email even from people I have made purchases from. I never have or will make a purchase from these people.

On a lighter note, I finally found a game in real life that has GI lighting that is truly as pitiful as the purposely deceptive and misleading "before" pictures on the stadium light people's website: Willy Wonky. That game is so dark, especially on the back half of the playfield, you can't see anything unless you are in a room lit as bright as day. Hopefully the WW owners are reading this thread and not the stadium spam emails.

#664 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not sure how but the Stadium light people got hold of my primary email account and sent me a spam advertisement before Expo. Rather than bump their spam thread to complain, I figured I would post here. I of course unsubscribed, but that is not the point. I don't like spam email even from people I have made purchases from. I never have or will make a purchase from these people.
On a lighter note, I finally found a game in real life that has GI lighting that is truly as pitiful as the purposely deceptive and misleading "before" pictures on the stadium light people's website: Willy Wonky. That game is so dark, especially on the back half of the playfield, you can't see anything unless you are in a room lit as bright as day. Hopefully the WW owners are reading this thread and not the stadium spam emails.

He must have got a customer email list from another vendor. I hope not but how else would he have gotten it.

#665 4 years ago

I also received the Pinstadium Expo SPAM email.

On the email it it said "You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website." which is a total fabrication. I've never purchased anything from their site or registered, etc.

I would bet dollars to donuts that pinstadium bought the IFPAs mailing list, they seem to sell to it to anyone for a quick buck. Bugs the crap out of me I'd much rather just pay the IFPA a few dollars every year.

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I also received the Pinstadium Expo SPAM email.
On the email it it said "You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website." which is a total fabrication. I've never purchased anything from their site or registered, etc.
I would bet dollars to donuts that pinstadium bought the IFPAs mailing list, they seem to sell to it to anyone for a quick buck. Bugs the crap out of me I'd much rather just pay the IFPA a few dollars every year.

Dirty

3 weeks later
#667 4 years ago

Just built my 9th set of these. Here is my current lineup.

9D266C55-DB01-478D-811E-962FF19F43F2 (resized).jpeg9D266C55-DB01-478D-811E-962FF19F43F2 (resized).jpeg
#668 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

Just built my 9th set of these. Here is my current lineup.[quoted image]

Nice lineup! Looking sharp also.

#669 4 years ago

For anyone having issues with magnetic tape coming off of the L bracket or it coming off of the side of the pin, I found 2 things that really help. I use a very thin bead of gorilla glue on the L bracket before applying the magnetic tape to the L bracket. I then use painters tape and wrap it around the L bracket at the ends and one in the middle. When the magnetic tape comes off of the L bracket, it is almost always at the end. I let the glue (and magnetic strip with adhesive) dry overnight with tape on them. Once I did that, they stopped coming off. As far as the cabinet goes, I wipe down the area where I am installing the lights with a paper towel with a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol on it. This gets the dirt off and assures a good bond for the cabinet strip of magnetic tape. I install the light with the two magnetic strips connected to make sure the polarity isn’t misaligned (you will only make this mistake once). Once I have installed the cabinet magnetic strip and squeeze it in a bit, I remove the L bracket portion of the lights (always fold down from the center to remove the lights, don’t pull them off by the ends). I let the magnetic strip sit for a good 24 hours without the L bracket attached. Since I started doing this, the lights are rock solid and the magnetic strips don’t peel off the cabinet or the LED L bracket.

For anyone wondering, I just installed homemade lights on my GB Pro about 2 hours ago and I have side art installed. The magnetic tape sticks very well to the side art. The picture below was taken with all the light off in the room.

66DC4762-B1DC-42B8-8776-15B10EDFC092 (resized).jpeg66DC4762-B1DC-42B8-8776-15B10EDFC092 (resized).jpeg
#671 4 years ago

Just in case anyone is considering it, I would highly recommend against using glue on the cabinet side magnetic strip. It would most likely rip off paint / wood / side art if you ever needed to take it off.

1 week later
#672 4 years ago

Last weekend I completed a fun little project to improve the backbox lighting behind the backglass on my TNA.

Stock TNA uses a fairly dim white LED strip in a triangle shape in the center of the glass. Over time mine had gotten really dim so I decided to replace it with something that would give the nice BG art some proper full lighting.

Since TNA already used a 12v DC power source for the original LEDs installing new ones was a snap.

For this project I decided to go with 12v RGBW LED strips and a controller with a wireless remote so I could have full white lighting enhanced with color-tinting from the RGB setting on the remote.

I used this controller which was $5 or $6 more than the cheapest RGBW controller but I preferred a radio wireless remote vs infrared for easy of use and the connections on this thing were perfect for my needs: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0756TNMJB

Here you see the white plastic brackets that held the original triangle-shaped LEDs in the game (already removed).
IMG_7100 (resized).JPGIMG_7100 (resized).JPG

I used an old USB cable for 4 of the required wires (RGBW) and a seperate red wire for 12v power.
IMG_7096 (resized).JPGIMG_7096 (resized).JPG
I use heat-shrink to secure the soldered wires to the LED strip and give it some strength (not yet installed/shrunk in the pic).
IMG_7097 (resized).JPGIMG_7097 (resized).JPG
Once I had the two LED strips wired up I cut some foil tape strips to use as mounting points for the LED strips.
IMG_7098 (resized).JPGIMG_7098 (resized).JPG
Here is a pic with everything assembled and ready for installation.
IMG_7099 (resized).JPGIMG_7099 (resized).JPG
I tested that my wiring was good by temporarily connecting the controller to the game power before installing it.
I removed the old white plastic clips and cleaned the wood where the strips would mount with rubbing alchohol.
Then I installed the foil tape to the wood. The foil tape acts as a secure mounting point for the often weak adhesive on the LED tape itself, and also makes it easy to remove later if desired.
Finally, installed the controller with the adhesive pad that it came with (again onto foil tape for ease-of-removal later).
Plugged it all in, booted the game, and went through the remote control sync process to pair it with the controller.
IMG_7102 (resized).JPGIMG_7102 (resized).JPG

One big problem that became apparent right-away was that the TNA BG didn't have a white mask layer to diffuse the light on it, so the individual LEDs where often visible and hot-spotting through the glass (sorry, forgot to snap a pic).

My solution for this, which worked perfectly, was to attach some semi-transparent vellum paper to the back of the BG. This acts as a perfect light diffusion layer and is often used to make inexpensive light diffusers for photography as well.

Finally, I tried various white light and RGB color setting options until I settled on one that introduces a slight amount of Red and Green tint into the mix to make the rich purple colours pop.

A straight white LED strip would also have been fine and much simpler to wire, etc. but the addition of the RGB provides an eye-catching tint to certain aspects of the art and also add some additional brightness which is appreciated due to the use of the vellum paper.
Zoom for clarityZoom for clarity
59703606999__786F7F70-60A1-4032-9541-DADB0C9FE140 (resized).JPG59703606999__786F7F70-60A1-4032-9541-DADB0C9FE140 (resized).JPG

#674 4 years ago

Very nice

#675 4 years ago

It was mentioned earlier, but not sure if there has been any attempt. Has anyone tried to put the led strips directly on the glass? I'm thinking you could use electric tape first to give a better look from the top side, then place the led strips on that. I understand there would need to be a quick connect at the coin door so that the glass could still easily be removed, but wasn't sure if anyone had tried this yet.

#676 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

It was mentioned earlier, but not sure if there has been any attempt. Has anyone tried to put the led strips directly on the glass? I'm thinking you could use electric tape first to give a better look from the top side, then place the led strips on that. I understand there would need to be a quick connect at the coin door so that the glass could still easily be removed, but wasn't sure if anyone had tried this yet.

Yes, I have. magnetic connectors, and special 90 degree mini strips....works amazing!

#677 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, I have. magnetic connectors, and special 90 degree mini strips....works amazing!

Do you have any images? Apologies if I missed a post.

#678 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Are you selling these?

#679 4 years ago

I cant offer any LED products do to my contract.....

#680 4 years ago

I bought some 5 volt RGB and Warm white strips, leds alternate between the rgb and the warm white. Going to power them off the GI into one of those simple controllers. Making up stand offs to mount the strips on the outside of the playfield for Iron Maiden.

23b4ae9169362b3a728a2965b73c719f (resized).jpg23b4ae9169362b3a728a2965b73c719f (resized).jpg
#681 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I bought some 5 volt RGB and Warm white strips, leds alternate between the rgb and the warm white. Going to power them off the GI into one of those simple controllers. Making up stand offs to mount the strips on the outside of the playfield for Iron Maiden.[quoted image]

Now this is exactly what I'd love to see once you finalize everything!

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I bought some 5 volt RGB and Warm white strips, leds alternate between the rgb and the warm white. Going to power them off the GI into one of those simple controllers. Making up stand offs to mount the strips on the outside of the playfield for Iron Maiden.[quoted image]

By "Iron Maiden" I'm assuming you mean the game from 1982?

If so, sounds good, though I haven't seen any RGB controllers that will run off of 6.8VAC.

If you mean Stern IMDN from 2018 - STOP! The node boards that run the GI on that game will not tolerate much additional load. You wouldn't want to run long RGB strips like that you would surely burn out a very expensive board. In this scenario you would want to use an RGB controller to power them that itself is powered by a safe 12v source like the coin door bill acceptor.

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

By "Iron Maiden" I'm assuming you mean the game from 1982?
If so, sounds good, though I haven't seen any RGB controllers that will run off of 6.8VAC.
If you mean Stern IMDN from 2018 - STOP! The node boards that run the GI on that game will not tolerate much additional load. You wouldn't want to run long RGB strips like that you would surely burn out a very expensive board. In this scenario you would want to use an RGB controller to power them that itself is powered by a safe 12v source like the coin door bill acceptor.

New Iron Maiden - link to 5 volt controller - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J9QCQNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

New Iron Maiden - link to 5 volt controller - amazon.com link »

Okay. That controller is for 12v power in and 12-24v LED out I believe. So won't work properly with 5v RGBW LED strips.

You will also definately want to power it using an external 12v power brick and not connected directly to your GI on your game.

You might want to study some of the case examples in the FAQ post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting#post-4153578) before proceeding.

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay. That controller is for 12v power in and 12-24v LED out I believe. So won't work properly with 5v RGBW LED strips.
You will also definately want to power it using an external 12v power brick and not connected directly to your GI on your game.
You might want to study some of the case examples in the FAQ post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting#post-4153578) before proceeding.

It works great on the rolls of 5 volt I have here. Works on the range of voltages from 5-24. Works just as good on my 12 volt rolls.

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

It works great on the rolls of 5 volt I have here. Works on the range of voltages from 5-24. Works just as good on my 12 volt rolls.

Okay, just the specs don't indicate what the supported output voltages are.

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.30.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.30.41 PM (resized).png
#687 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay, just the specs don't indicate what the supported output voltages are.[quoted image]

understood, lot of these chinese controllers are hard to get correct specs on. Zoom in on the picture of the controller, lists 5-28v.

#688 4 years ago

I have been using a power brick and the aux outlet in the pinball to run my 12v RGBW LED light (remote control version). I like being able to have them operate independent from the machine (cycle colors) even when the pins are off. It’s also piece of mind know the lights won’t put excess load on any of the boards. This only creates an issue if you want to add a second strip tied to flashers or some other event which would require a link to the boards or if you were using the outlet already to power something else. I understand everyone has different approaches but the aux outlet offers me a little piece of mind that I won’t be taxing the system. I bought a special connector for my TNA (cost about $1.25) that allowed me to plug the power brick into the aux outlet. Below is the aux outlet on TNA that I bought the adapter for.

FBD8FC66-40D7-46C7-B49F-A3B2DEFB5924 (resized).jpegFBD8FC66-40D7-46C7-B49F-A3B2DEFB5924 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#689 4 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! Learning new skills and making games better through my own effort is a huge part of this hobby for me. I like to play, but i I like the maintenance and improvement side of things at least as much. Case in point, rather than buying pinstadiums for my WOZ, I read this thread and built them. Not only was it fun, but I wound up with a finished product that was specifically tailored to my taste: side lights on one control, rear lights on another and trough lighting on yet another control so that I could control the color and intensity for each independently. I also stopped the right side lights short of the munchkin huts to avoid overnighting their roofs and the spot on the emerald city in the right rear corner.

Thanks again!

B9FBD5E6-0202-4BEE-A3A5-1B7C4A9C0236 (resized).jpegB9FBD5E6-0202-4BEE-A3A5-1B7C4A9C0236 (resized).jpeg
#690 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! Learning new skills and making games better through my own effort is a huge part of this hobby for me. I like to play, but i I like the maintenance and improvement side of things at least as much. Case in point, rather than buying pinstadiums for my WOZ, I read this thread and built them. Not only was it fun, but I wound up with a finished product that was specifically tailored to my taste: side lights on one control, rear lights on another and trough lighting on yet another control so that I could control the color and intensity for each independently. I also stopped the right side lights short of the munchkin huts to avoid overnighting their roofs and the spot on the emerald city in the right rear corner.
Thanks again![quoted image]

looks great

#691 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Thanks again![quoted image]

Yes, very nice. It's great to see everyone's projects.

1 week later
#693 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yes, very nice. It's great to see everyone's projects.

I wanted to say thank you to Fytr for starting this topic. The information he provided in his original post motivated me to build my first set of lights. I have been building my own lights (10 so far) and refining my process over the last year. I finally got around to putting together a video tutorial on the process and wanted to share it with everyone. Below is a short version for those that want to check out the build process and a full version for anyone who wants to build these lights.

Short Version:

Full Version:

Added over 4 years ago:

Long Video:

Short Version:

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

I wanted to say thank you to Fytr for starting this topic. The information he provided in his original post motivated me to build my first set of lights. I have been building my own lights (10 so far) and refining my process over the last year. I finally got around to putting together a video tutorial on the process and wanted to share it with everyone. Below is a short version for those that want to check out the build process and a full version for anyone who wants to build these lights.
Short Version:

Full Version:

Very nice. Thanks man

#695 4 years ago

Short Version:

Full Version:

There has been tons of great discussion in this thread. Your post/vids are really great for putting a ton of information together in a great package. I think I may actually order up some parts and try to make a set now. Thanks a ton man!

#696 4 years ago

This led kit incorpotes similar app control.

ebay.com link: 0

Has anyone included a separate flasher led strip?

#697 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

This led kit incorpotes similar app control.
ebay.com link
Has anyone included a separate flasher led strip?

Easy to do, I run 5 volt warm white tied into the GI, and a 12 volt setup for the other strip that could be tied into the flasher. If you have a Spike game, the flashers are 5 volt.

#698 4 years ago

Short Version:

Full Version:

Wow. This is a fantastically high quality tutorial video! Succinct and chock full of expert tips. Strongly recommend the Full Version.

Thank-you for putting this together, I can imagine it takes some effort to do so. This is exactly the kind of reference material that will help many others to take the leap to doing this themselves.

I've added a link to the post to the FAQ at the top of the Reference Builds section as well.

#699 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Wow. This is a fantastically high quality tutorial video! Succinct and chock full of expert tips. Strongly recommend the Full Version.
Thank-you for putting this together, I can imagine it takes some effort to do so. This is exactly the kind of reference material that will help many others to take the leap to doing this themselves.
I've added a link to the post to the FAQ at the top of the Reference Builds section as well.

Thanks Fytr! I’ve learned a lot from this forum post and wanted to return the favor for all those that helped me. I’ll be sure to post updated videos as the lights continue to evolve.

#700 4 years ago

I just finished uploading a tutorial regarding how to install the playfield lights form my first tutorial. I made short and long versions of this video. If you plan on building and installing these lights, be sure to check out the full versions of each.

Full Version:

Short HurryUp Version:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/14?hl=kevindrives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.