New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 206424)

Poor man's Stadium lighting

By Fytr

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 849 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by AUKraut
  • Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 305 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

12DA33D5-BD15-4CDD-92B5-DADEE7A15DC5 (resized).jpeg
24635743-2813-4F7C-B7EE-D98774075201 (resized).jpeg
CE4F051B-2738-4F60-830C-30A7E84305AA (resized).jpeg
9C8D9407-4F4D-4EFC-863E-0E3E00D10E7E (resized).jpeg
84CB18C5-68E6-4637-B4BD-2E59BE487D69 (resized).jpeg
94043C72-7CF9-4714-BBC8-970005E7399D (resized).jpeg
E78FC2C6-5FD9-4C3E-9254-959149D78288 (resized).jpeg
PMPS Relay Detail (resized).jpg
C18BADA7-3A36-4723-91BF-6D87F4FF470A (resized).jpeg
298F8117-6D16-49CF-AFA4-EDF5E7FB2399 (resized).jpeg
EE6BB684-1B2D-440B-BD10-33131748DFFE (resized).jpeg
B7EAC40C-91BF-42DE-955B-6D354260FB5E (resized).jpeg
F61783CC-A64C-41BB-BB7A-F8669EE4A5A4 (resized).jpeg
B6E9A4EB-DBED-4A88-8E2F-190EDBB62B67 (resized).jpeg
20201011_160854 (resized).jpg
20201009_214001 (resized).jpg

There are 849 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.
#501 1 year ago

Nice but now ya gotta light up Rocky and Bullwinkle.

#502 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

My homebrew MM with 9 led spots on and off.
Photo taken in the dark, no flash.
So you can play it in total darkness.
And cheap to make ( Closeup is with flash).
2x led upper playfield, 2x led pop bumpers, 3x led castle wall and left and right slingshot.
I use ultabright quad leds and old bayonet sockets.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow that game looks incredible! Blew my mind there for a bit where I missed the "homebrew MM" and was trying to figure out what kind of MM you had there exactly.

Do you have a thread somewhere describing your MM project?

#503 1 year ago

#504 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice but now ya gotta light up Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Yeah, I know. Suddenly the backbox looks very dim now

#505 1 year ago

Additional recommendations.
I ordered the lights recommended on this thread off eBay. 2 week delivery time. TEST THEM BEFORE YOU MOUNT THEM. The adhesive tape wanted to come up with the protective strip. Cut your length and peel from the end to the front. These things run a little warm so after mounting the strip to the rail let them run for a while and then press the strip down against the rail between LEDs all the way down the line to help with adherence. You could also use a thin amount of gorilla glue under the strips to help with adherence.

The LED strip kit has a wiring harness on each end. Thank God. Part of one roll was miswired so some selections off the remote were wrong.
It has ONE male connector that is removable so I put it into the other end and found that portion was wired correctly. Gorilla glue the removable male header otherwise it'll come out into the female connector of the wireless remote box when removing.

Mark your connectors! There is a faint molded arrow on the white female connector that the black wire must use and if you plug it in backwards you instantly fry the remote box wireless receiver!

Sync your lights! With both on, turn the brightness of both channels all the way up otherwise you'll get an unequal light pattern.

Use Gorilla glue to secure the wrapped harness end to the rail. I found some spring clamps and used those instead of using the white box as weight.

Lay down a thin layer of Gorilla glue on backside of rail for better velcro adherence.

I am using a Rock Custom Pinball Gameon module. If you choose to go this route you WILL need two female to male extensions . I have emailed him and told him this should be part of the standard kit. Luckily he shipped two trough light mods that had these extensions. The really cool part of this is you dont need to add an external power source not do you have to use those annoying wall warts. Runs right off the power up front and goes off when power in cabinet goes off (the sensor shuts it off when no light is present). Beautiful! Side note: the lights on the right are GI reflection. Shown before, and after with blue/white (equal brightness) and green/white (white turned down). I prefer the white/blue combo.
20190706_110524 (resized).jpg20190706_110603 (resized).jpg
20190706_204537 (resized).jpg20190706_203828 (resized).jpg
20190706_203344 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#506 1 year ago

So I have been looking around pinside and noticed that there's no one else that sell strip lighting like pinstadium. Is this because the website says patent pending?

I searched the government patent search and Googles patent search and could find anything on the product. Does anyone know what the assigned pending number is? It's normal practice to have the number displayed with the patent pending.

#507 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_mutha:

Is this because the website says patent pending?

I don't see anything they could patent?

#508 1 year ago
Quoted from mjruser:

I don't see anything they could patent?

Yeah I'm just curious as to what is being patented, if someone wants to make a similar product they need to know the patent application number or patent number to make sure they don't infringe the patent.

#509 1 year ago

If I had to guess it’s the custom PCB module he makes that the flasher and GI cables plug into. It’s my understanding these were custom designed and built specifically for his product.

#510 1 year ago

Thanks, I've search his name, parts of his name, and nothing comes up in the patent application search or patent search. I've tested my searches with known information from other applications and the search works fine. I'm really confused now.

#511 1 year ago

So I have been looking around pinside and noticed that there's no one else that sell strip lighting like pinstadium. Is this because the website says patent pending?
I searched the government patent search and Googles patent search and could find anything on the product. Does anyone know what the assigned pending number is? It's normal practice to have the number displayed with the patent pending.

IIRC there was someone that was making a strip light kit that was similar but got a bunch of complaining about the competition and pulled the plug. Can't remember who it was. I know @hemiorange09 makes lighted strip rails for flashers so could have been him.

#512 1 year ago

Patent pending simply means he filed for a patent and it’s awaiting approval from uspto. It doesn’t even mean he will get the patent or not. It’s just filed and accepted but not reviewed yet. I have a patent and it’s a long process and can be stressful too.
You don’t know how far in the pile of others that you are. Meaning someone could file for the exact same thing and could be ahead of you in line to be reviewed. That person gets the patent and now you don’t because it’s considered prior art. Now your out all the money you spent to write and file.

#513 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

IIRC there was someone that was making a strip light kit that was similar but got a bunch of complaining about the competition and pulled the plug. Can't remember who it was. I know @hemiorange09 makes lighted strip rails for flashers so could have been him.

not sure what could be patented about Pinstadiums. Pinball refinery has been doing flasher kits for Metallica for years that are similar to pinstadiums design.

#514 1 year ago

Thanks, since it's in pending status there should be an application number and or inventor name to search on. I can't find his name in the application search.

The problem is, if someone starts to make and sell them and his patent is approved he can go back on that person and collect royalties. So a person needs to know so they don't violate what he has a pending patent on.

I think he make a great product, but for some the price is too high and a cheaper alternative wood be nice to see, especially if you don't have the skills to make them yourself. There's room for competition and it's also good for innovation.

#515 1 year ago

If someone made basic warm white LED strips on 1/2" aluminum channel that was a direct wire into the GI circuit, I don't see how you could get in trouble. You could sell them for $50 a set and clean up!

#516 1 year ago

Thanks, since it's in pending status there should be an application number and or inventor name to search on. I can't find his name in the application search.
The problem is, if someone starts to make and sell them and his patent is approved he can go back on that person and collect royalties. So a person needs to know so they don't violate what he has a pending patent on.
I think he make a great product, but for some the price is too high and a cheaper alternative wood be nice to see, especially if you don't have the skills to make them yourself. There's room for competition and it's also good for innovation.

He can’t sue unless they are still selling AFTER he gets patent. It’s free game until then. He may never get the patent accepted so it wouldn’t be fair for anyone else to not offer a similar product while he waits a year for uspto to look at it.
Patent pending gives him a little protection from some major company to start stealing his idea. They won’t invest a lot into something that they may have to stop selling

#517 1 year ago

Thanks, in doing some research I found this from a patent lawyer:

"Patent applications are normally published after 18 months from the earliest filing date. As soon as the patent application becomes published, you can send the infringer a copy of the patent application publication and put him on notice. Then, when the patent becomes granted with mostly similar claims, you may be able recover damages for the period before the patent is granted if you choose to sue the infringer."

#518 1 year ago

This is a awesome way to help the pinball community! Thanks OP for the hard work and the excellent write up. That took a lot of time and thought, and I appreciate it.

#519 1 year ago

"Patent applications are normally published after 18 months from the earliest filing date. As soon as the patent application becomes published, you can send the infringer a copy of the patent application publication and put him on notice. Then, when the patent becomes granted with mostly similar claims, you may be able recover damages for the period before the patent is granted if you choose to sue the infringer."

all fine and dandy, but we need to know what the heck is the patent for? it surely can't be led strips with a L bracket and magnet?? or a LED strip that ties into GI or flashers.

#520 1 year ago

Only problem is you need to have very very very deep pockets to sue. And even if you win, try collecting. Only people that win are the lawyers unfortunately. I’ve been dealing with this very thing for two years now. I’m owed a tremendous amount of money which I will probably get pennies on but I want to destroy the thief’s life for what they stole from me.

#521 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

all fine and dandy, but we need to know what the heck is the patent for?

It's highly likely- he just says that to scare folks off from coming out with a $129 version of his product.

I cannot see anything at all that could be patented.

#522 1 year ago

Wouldn't shock me if there is no patent application at all. The fact that he hides his full name is the first thing that makes me suspicious of Pinstadium.

#523 1 year ago

I don't want the thread to become negative towards anyone. I thought it was a good thread to ask the question since so many people are building them and might want to sell them without fear of infringement.

Also this way if someone does sell them, and decides to expand beyond just an led strip and L bracket, they can.

#524 1 year ago

I'd be interested in a DIY kit at a much reduced rate.

#525 1 year ago

Yep. I’d love to pay someone $100-150 for an always on, brightness and color controlled set that doesn’t attach to the sides of the game.

#526 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. I’d love to pay someone $100-150 for an always on, brightness and color controlled set that doesn’t attach to the sides of the game.

Where would you want it to attach?

#527 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Where would you want it to attach?

The side rails so the playfield can be lifted. Like pinstadiums new hovers do. But I guess someone would just need to make something cheaper that can clip into his hovers. That would work too.

#528 1 year ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'd be interested in a DIY kit at a much reduced rate.

I think this would be cool and for sure would not get you into any legal trouble if his stuff is patent pending (which I do not think it is or could be). Just sell the kit with the parts to put your own setup together and it would be very cost effective.

#529 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The side rails so the playfield can be lifted. Like pinstadiums new hovers do.

You mean like Pinball refinery Ride the Lightening flasher kits for Metallica that they have been doing for years.

#530 1 year ago

I'm not sure what they could patent either, I would assume it's the controller part. LED's on the side of the cabinet was done in AMH so it's not a new idea.

#531 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

You mean like Pinball refinery Ride the Lightening flasher kits for Metallica that they have been doing for years.

Nope. Those are in the middle of the playfield if I remember correctly. I hate being able to see those in the middle of the playfield. Also, not interest in flashers, just always one strips with brightness and color control.

#532 1 year ago

Pinstadium is making a stream edition at attaches to the outside of the game. That might be an option for me too. I’ll have to see it first.

#533 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. Those are in the middle of the playfield if I remember correctly. I hate being able to see those in the middle of the playfield. Also, not interest in flashers, just always one strips with brightness and color control.

Of course you already know I was referring to how they were mounted not to being used by flashers. Also going back to how they are mounted by using existing screw locations with simple stand offs. You can easily us the same method to instal similar channels to just about any game made. You can even
mount them the same way right over the side rails. If no existing screws are in the side rails you can just drill a small hole in the rail and use a double sided screw.
Something like a #6 wood bit with a 6-32 thread on the other side. You don’t need to wast hundreds of dollars on Pin Stadiums.

#534 1 year ago

Not sure if this has been stated already but since the topic of mounting the channel or angle to the side rails so the playfield can lift up without removing the lighting was brought up. A simple solution would be to either use an existing screw hole or bolt with a double sided screw or called a "Plain hanger screw" and a hex standoff. If there is no existing hole where you want to mount then you would have to drill a small hole down the center of the side rail. You can buy a hex standoff in just about any length in 8-32 thread.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-32-x-1-1-2-in-Plain-Hanger-Bolt-4-Piece-809291/204274980

#535 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Pinstadium is making a stream edition at attaches to the outside of the game. That might be an option for me too. I’ll have to see it first.

Really, how could you tell? All I saw was a bunch of hot air and graphics and zero about the actual product

#536 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I do not like all the flasher / UV crap, just some strips with brightness control would be cool.

#537 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Really, how could you tell? All I saw was a bunch of hot air and graphics and zero about the actual product

That’s why I said I have to see it first. And by see it, I mean in person.

#538 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

I do not like all the flasher / UV crap, just some strips with brightness control would be cool.

Same here and why I made my own. Color and brightness fully adjustable, acts as if it's part of the GI. ~$80 including on/off with the game using the service outlet.

#539 1 year ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Same here and why I made my own. Color and brightness fully adjustable, acts as if it's part of the GI. ~$80 including on/off with the game using the service outlet.

do you mind posting your setup. Did you use L brackets and mount to side of cabinet?

#540 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

do you mind posting your setup. Did you use L brackets and mount to side of cabinet?

Ordered the LEDs off ebay specified in post #1. Half inch aluminum channel from home depot. Gameon power module. See post #505 for more details.

#541 1 year ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Ordered the LEDs off ebay specified in post #1. Half inch aluminum channel from home depot. Gameon power module. See post #505 for more details.

Thanks, I already have rolls of led strips and controllers. My dad ordered a ton of stuff from China in bulk last year and had huge rolls of led strips and controllers and stuff. Looks like if you bought in bulk you could put these kits together for VERY cheap. Even if you wanted to buy enough parts for 5 or 6 games you do each one for less than $40 with WiFi controls but I have no interest in the wifi part.

#542 1 year ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Only problem is you need to have very very very deep pockets to sue. And even if you win, try collecting. Only people that win are the lawyers unfortunately. I’ve been dealing with this very thing for two years now. I’m owed a tremendous amount of money which I will probably get pennies on but I want to destroy the thief’s life for what they stole from me.

I agree with this statement unless you have serious funds you can't protect your patent and people will dance around you. Look at colorDMD it has a patent yet there are 2 clones of it for sale on this forum happily selling there product.

#543 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If I had to guess it’s the custom PCB module he makes that the flasher and GI cables plug into. It’s my understanding these were custom designed and built specifically for his product.

You couldn’t patent that. At least there are so many prior works it wouldn’t be worth the paper it’s printed on.

#544 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

You couldn’t patent that. At least there are so many prior works it wouldn’t be worth the paper it’s printed on.

It’s the only thing I know of on the product that isn’t off the shelf. What about stuff that you design and 3d print yourself? Can that be patented? I know nothing about this stuff.

#545 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s the only thing I know of on the product that isn’t off the shelf. What about stuff that you design and 3d print yourself? Can that be patented? I know nothing about this stuff.

I don't think it matters where you source/build the components its how they are used/interact with each other in the final product.

like he might have patent pending on using led strip lighting to light up a play field or maybe its because the lighting is wifi controlled?

who knows

#546 1 year ago
Quoted from JayDee:

really want the full story on this though!!!!!

#547 1 year ago

On my last 5 or 6 kits I've made for my games, I used Monster LED light strips for $4.99 each at Walmart (two needed, one for each side). No color (I don't want colors), a remote with just 4 different shades of white and brightness controls. Bright, sun, daylight and something else. I just want my playfield evenly lit in white and do not want them turning off/on with the GI. One of the white colors works for every game - sci-fi themes, use cool white; most other games I prefer the sun/warm white.

#548 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I don't recall anyone selling a similar system even without GI or flasher integration before PS started or really even since, do you? I don't know if it's really something that could be patented or not but I do wonder how many here saying it can't be have ever even installed or seen the product in person, clearly some haven't.

#549 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't recall anyone selling a similar system even without GI or flasher integration before PS started or really even since, do you? I don't know if it's really something that could be patented or not but I do wonder how many here saying it can't be have ever even installed or seen the product in person, clearly some haven't.

That creeping death flasher rail setup that pinball refinery is the only thing I’ve seen that was similar.

#550 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That creeping death flasher rail setup that pinball refinery is the only thing I’ve seen that was similar.

True, but that is for one specific game and mounts along the backboard of the game instead of the sides, right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 90.00
$ 17.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
There are 849 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside