Topic Stats

• 488 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by knockerlover
  • Topic is favorited by 202 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 176 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190325_215846 (resized).jpg
IMG_1732 (resized).JPG
IMG_1731 (resized).JPG
IMG_1730 (resized).JPG
IMG_1729 (resized).JPG
Shadow_NO_LED (resized).jpg
Shadow_LED_vs_LEDNeon (resized).jpg
Shadow_LED (resized).jpg
Shadow_LED_Neon (resized).jpg
LED Neon (resized).jpg
JP Color (resized).jpg
AB2C844D-BC0C-4D30-9372-476302651AC1 (resized).jpeg
A5ADB9FD-4211-4B70-9533-1773B039BBE7 (resized).jpeg
JP On (resized).jpg
JP (resized).jpg
5B14A00C-6D0C-4A18-9B47-7DD51BD9DB72 (resized).jpeg

There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
#451 55 days ago

Joined the club over the weekend. Thanks for all of the awesome build tips. I made a color set and a warm white set. I really like some of the colors on JP as it really makes some of the artwork more interesting. Set up the whites today. Really makes every dirt spot on the glass show up

523226C0-1C16-43FD-AD10-039DBCED01DB (resized).jpeg5B14A00C-6D0C-4A18-9B47-7DD51BD9DB72 (resized).jpeg
#452 54 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

Joined the club over the weekend. Thanks for all of the awesome build tips. I made a color set and a warm white set. I really like some of the colors on JP as it really makes some of the artwork more interesting. Set up the whites today. Really makes every dirt spot on the glass show up
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah that makes a big difference, all you need now is a white 7 led strip center drain light.

#453 54 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice! Tons of mods too! I wish mine came with mods like that. It was bone-stock.

Are you going to be doing any more lights or mods?

#454 54 days ago

Must be a JP weekend, I had already added cool white and some color LEDs, but the middle of the playfield was still gone. Also lit up the back banner and backboard from behind using 12v whites. Made the siderails and middle of the playfield comes to life. I know i splurged and used rgb+w including the wifi controller, but certain colors allow items like the orange spot to lite right up. Also found some LED mounting channel and lite lenses from leevalley.com, like I said went over the top but is JP not worth it Yes those are 7 led purple trough lites but was all I had.

JP (resized).jpgJP On (resized).jpg
#455 54 days ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Must be a JP weekend, I had already added cool white and some color LEDs, but the middle of the playfield was still gone. Also lit up the back banner and backboard from behind using 12v whites. Made the siderails and middle of the playfield comes to life. I know i splurged and used rgb+w including the wifi controller, but certain colors allow items like the orange spot to lite right up. Also found some LED mounting channel and lite lenses from leevalley.com, like I said went over the top but is JP not worth it Yes those are 7 led purple trough lites but was all I had.[quoted image][quoted image]

The lighting looks great.

I sent you a PM

#456 54 days ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah that makes a big difference, all you need now is a white 7 led strip center drain light.

Maybe. I kind of like the drain nice and dark. It is where all my good games go to die.

#457 51 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Very nice! Tons of mods too! I wish mine came with mods like that. It was bone-stock.
Are you going to be doing any more lights or mods?

Mine came bone stock too, but on the bright side it was cheaper that way.

#458 50 days ago

Add another JP with diy stadium lighting. I got mine up and running today powered from a 5a power supply with an in line dimmer. I also added backlighting to the background while I was in there, I used 10mm magnets attached to 1/2” black anodized aluminum rail, and drilled a matching hole in the cab and pressed a magnet into it. Works perfectly.

Next up are LEDs, new rubber and some custom 3D printed stuff.

A5ADB9FD-4211-4B70-9533-1773B039BBE7 (resized).jpegAB2C844D-BC0C-4D30-9372-476302651AC1 (resized).jpeg
#459 50 days ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Add another JP with diy stadium lighting. I got mine up and running today powered from a 5a power supply with an in line dimmer. I also added backlighting to the background while I was in there, I used 10mm magnets attached to 1/2” black anodized aluminum rail, and drilled a matching hole in the cab and pressed a magnet into it. Works perfectly.
Next up are LEDs, new rubber and some custom 3D printed stuff.[quoted image][quoted image]

What 3d printed things are you doing?

#460 50 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

What 3d printed things are you doing?

I’m working on those 3D scoop toppers like we talked about in PM, a new gate, and a raptor cage. I have everything modeled, now just working on the lighting.

#461 50 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Your remote switch must be "leaky" where it provides a small amount of current even when it supposed to be off. I have an Xmas light timer that does the same thing, when it is "off" the lights are still very dimly lit.
Probably not a big deal, you might try measuring the current coming out of the socket when it is off with a multimeter (carefully).

or to be safer use something like this
amazon.com link »

#462 50 days ago

Been contemplating & planning out a DIY Stadium Lighting project myself, and trying to resolve the mounting question. I've fully read and followed this thread since the beginning. All of my pins have side art, and several of them are extremely tight in terms of clearance between cabinet and playfield. I don't want to damage or ruin my sideart by drilling screws or making holes for magnets, so I've been thinking about sliding in some extremely thin metal L brackets between the playfield glass channels and the cabinet, and then put magnets on the lightbar. Has anyone tried this approach or something similar?? How is the glass channel mounted to the cabinet with Stern or JJP??

#463 50 days ago

I use the 3M Command pic hangers. They're velcro and fairly cheap. It also doesn't damage anything if you need to remove the velcro off the side to lift the playfield.

#464 50 days ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

I use the 3M Command pic hangers. They're velcro and fairly cheap. It also doesn't damage anything if you need to remove the velcro off the side to lift the playfield.

Thought about those. however as often as I raise the playfields working on mods the value of my 3M stock holdings may go thru the roof due to velcro sales.........

#465 50 days ago

My playfield is fairly tight, but if I take my time I can lift it without messing up the velcro. Though the first time I lifted it I wasn't paying attention and pulled one off. But they're cheap enough to give them a shot. Good luck with whatever you try.

#466 50 days ago

If you are very careful, you can take an xacto knife with a new #11 blade and cut around the outside of the rare earth magnet wherever you chose to install it. Carefully peel the side blade art you cut off the cab and set it aside. Then do the rest of the rare earth magnet install. When you are finished, reapply the cut out section of art blade material, and the seam should barely be visible.

#467 49 days ago

Got the color set wired up and put in. Took these with the machine off.

JP Color (resized).jpg
#468 48 days ago
Quoted from tonycip:

or to be safer use something like this
amazon.com link »

Or maybe this amazon.com link »

#469 48 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

[quoted image]

Oh man those look terrible. Stick with the white.

#470 48 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

[quoted image]

You could tie the colours into flashers on the PF and keep the WW for GI.

Is that what you are planning?

#471 48 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You could tie the colours into flashers on the PF and keep the WW for GI.
Is that what you are planning?

Nope. I just made a set because they were cheap and I wanted to see what they would look like. Warm white is definitely the way to go on this machine. I could look into hooking them to the GI and see if that tickles my fancy.

#472 48 days ago

Jurassic park does NOT need any extra help with flashers

#473 45 days ago

I just picked up some "LED Neon flex light ropes."

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOTOOK-Mini-LED-Neon-Flex-12V-SMD2835-Rope-Light-Waterproof-IP67-6mm-DIY-Tape-Ribbon-With/32898108611.html

Going to try them out to see how well they do. I got them because I wanted to eliminate the spot-dot affect on the wireforms and such. Going to experiment on my Shadow and see how it goes. I'll post some pics in the next day or two.

If anyone wants to order them, I found that if you order more than one they charge a lot for shipping. So, I made two orders to get free shipping.

LED Neon (resized).jpg
#474 45 days ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOTOOK-Mini-LED-Neon-Flex-12V-SMD2835-Rope-Light-Waterproof-IP67-6mm-DIY-Tape-Ribbon-With/32898108611.html
Going to try them out to see how well they do. I got them because I wanted to eliminate the spot-dot affect on the wireforms and such. Going to experiment on my Shadow and see how it goes. I'll post some pics in the next day or two.
If anyone wants to order them, I found that if you order more than one they charge a lot for shipping. So, I made two orders to get free shipping.
[quoted image]

Those look promising!

#475 43 days ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

[quoted image]

Looks cool looking forward to your report
Crazy shipping : 1 is free, 2 is $39??? uh ok

#476 43 days ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Looks cool looking forward to your report
Crazy shipping : 1 is free, 2 is $39??? uh ok

LOL right!

I'm a little behind schedule. Should have some pics this weekend.

#477 43 days ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

[quoted image]

Though they seem to stick out from the edge quite a bit. Might need larger L channel to block them from the top?

#478 43 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Though they seem to stick out from the edge quite a bit. Might need larger L channel to block them from the top?

It does, depending on how you position it.

I have 2 L-channels that I can put together to make a "shield." I'm also thinking about trying to aim it downward (long side vertical). That might allow for a skinnier U-channel. Or possibly an offset-leg U-channel. No sure I can find the right size in an offset-leg though.

Something to play with this weekend.

#479 42 days ago

Ok. Did some preliminary test. I need to order the u-channel as my local hardware stores don't have what I want.

Overall I'd say the LED strip puts more light near the middle of the playfield. But, the LED Neon looks sharper/smoother overall.

Here is a sample:

LED Strip:

Shadow_LED (resized).jpg

LED Neon:

Shadow_LED_Neon (resized).jpg

None:

Shadow_NO_LED (resized).jpg
#480 42 days ago

Here is a close(r) side-by-side comparison near the outlane:

Shadow_LED_vs_LEDNeon (resized).jpg
#481 42 days ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Here is a close(r) side-by-side comparison near the outlane:[quoted image]

Seems like a winner in terms of avoiding the "ribbon striping" effect on metal ramps, etc. I guess there wil always be a reflection though.

#482 42 days ago

This may just be the ticket for me. I like the idea of pinstadiums like many as I would like some extra light on some games for sure but like many of you hate the zebra/dot effect. This LED neon stuff may just be the right mix of light, but not too much and no zebra effect. Wouldn't be multicolored like PS but that may not be a bad thing at all.

#483 42 days ago

On other note, because of the way the LED Neon works, this is at 100% brightness. When running the LED strips, I ran at about 10% brightness.

So, if you want retina-burning brightness, this won't work. If you want to add a bit of extra light, then it may be the ticket for you.

#484 42 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Seems like a winner in terms of avoiding the "ribbon striping" effect on metal ramps, etc. I guess there wil always be a reflection though.

Haven’t looked through the rest of the thread but had anyone experimented with diffusing materials to reduce that? This is the biggest thing that stops me from making my own.

#485 42 days ago

Frosted Strips, and Diffusion Lenses with Mounts can be found.....They reduce spotting significantly, but also drop
brightness a bit...

2 weeks later
#486 28 days ago

here's my Mystery Castle with & without warm white lighting I added.
I can now play it without the overhead can lights on that cast such a reflection
and also see the PF so much better lit up.

IMG_1729 (resized).JPGIMG_1730 (resized).JPGIMG_1731 (resized).JPGIMG_1732 (resized).JPG
#487 25 days ago

Built a set for my Barbwire with cool white strips and added a remote dimmer.

20190325_215846 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#488 1 day ago

Awesome thread, excellent work guys!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside