photo 1 (17).JPG
photo 1 (16)-635.JPG
photo 2 (18).JPG
photo (39).JPG
photo (38).JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 3 (6).JPG
photo 1 (15).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 9 years ago

Look at this from a systematic process

1) Are all fuses in the game the correct value, and not blown?
2) Is the power supply producing the correct voltages? You're concerned with +5 and +12 at this point.
3) Unplug everything but 1J17, and power the game on. Do the LEDs stay in the same state they are in now?

After #3, I take the board to the bench, using an old computer power supply that I wire to 1J17 to provide the +5 and +12 to the board. I usually go with Leon's Test ROM on a locked CPU, although I'll admit I often swap the processor before I go to Leon's Test ROM, since it's socketed and I pretty much always have a spare 6802 on hand.

I don't know what your abilities and limits are, so before I go on with more diagnostic information, I thought I'd stop here and see what your thoughts are. A good schematic and a logic probe will come in very handy. I like an actual printed manual - not a PDF - in this case, as PDF schematics are often tough to read.

#8 9 years ago

Any chance you have a logic probe? Or a spare 6802?

#10 9 years ago

I was just thinking that might be a quick way to test the 6802 and see if it's bad. Maybe put the 6802 from the pool sharks in another game and see if the other game boots with the 'suspect' 6802

#38 9 years ago

Clive, Chris, Rob, myself or any number of folks can fix the original board for you.

If you go the Rottendog route, I'm interested in buying your original board. Drop me a line if you go that route.

#40 9 years ago

That opinion is similar to mine, but it depends a lot on the OPs abilities, desires, and intended use of the game.

If a quick flip is intended, a replacement board might be the best choice. Selling off the original board, intact and unharmed, but not working, would offset the cost of a replacement.

If the OP can't diagnose/troubleshoot, for whatever reason, sending it out is going to be the most cost-efficient choice; it'll be less than replacing it with aftermarket, but that does take some time.

And, if skills on diagnosis/troubleshooting are weak, it's likely that the OP will do more damage trying to repair it than they realize, potentially taking a single problem, and introducing several more.

Do you want it quick, or do you want it cheap? Usually, cannot have both.

#42 9 years ago

If you don't have the +100 or -100, the original displays will never work.

At that point, you may want to have the power supply serviced as well - unless you feel like getting a set of LED displays, at which point, all you need is the +5 to power them.

#62 9 years ago

That PS board has seen prior rework. The 2 1/2 watt resistors don't match - R3 has been replaced.

R3 and R4 are common failures on this circuit. Often times, they are all it takes to get the circuit working properly again - but I usually do the entire HV section, one of the few times I shotgun anything.

I don't see any original Sys11 board of any flavor selling for $300 - that seems a bit high to me. I buy, sell and repair quite a few, so I think I've got a pretty decent handle on value. I'd say an original Sys11 MPU, clean, is a 250-275 board on a good day.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Daddy-o:

So you will give me $250 for my clean gently used board? Today is after all a good day!

The sys11c board used in pool sharks is not a clean original sys11 board. The original sys11 board is much harder to find than an 11c, and much more versatile.

And that's the price I would be selling one for - 100% working and repaired, with a guarantee. That means I'd be buying for a significant amount less.

#90 9 years ago

Depending on price, I might be interested in your non-working boards. Can always use spares!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pool-sharks-wont-boot?tu=johnwartjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.