Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6A955241-43EF-41D0-8722-889C03232D43 (resized).jpeg
370FB5F9-8ABB-4024-B1D7-D930E8456575 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Howdy!

The (upper playfield) diverter randomly fires on my Pool Sharks:

I’ve cleaned the diverter assembly and coil sleeve, making sure that it moves freely. I also replaced the diverter’s switch and diode with new ones. However, the issue remains.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this issue?

#2 1 year ago

What happens when you go into test mode, does it work reliably in test mode?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from kevmad:

What happens when you go into test mode, does it work reliably in test mode?

In the coil test mode cycle, the diverter coil fires and releases. If I pause the test cycle and hold on the diverter, the coil fires and releases repeatedly like it does during regular gameplay.

#4 1 year ago

is your diverter working properly?

The diverter mechanism has 2 positions. Each activation of the solenoid, cycles the diverter to the up position then the down position then Up, etc

It looks like your diverter is not holding in the down position.

Not sure if this is a cause of your problem or a byproduct.

I would look into that first. There is a plastic cam on the diverter mechanism with a spring. check to see if the spring is still there.

#5 1 year ago

The plastic cam on the back of the diverter is probably worn. It’s supposed to go back and forth with each up and down motion. My guess is it’s not always doing that and the coil fires again to try again.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The plastic cam on the back of the diverter is probably worn. It’s supposed to go back and forth with each up and down motion. My guess is it’s not always doing that and the coil fires again to try again.

This is a common issue with Police Force. A replacement cam should be easy to find.

#7 1 year ago

Here is the part number from Marco

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8090

Here is a video that shows the police force diverter, essentially the same in Pool Sharks.

Keep it simple, the first thing I would check is to make sure the spring is in place on the cam.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/williams-bally-pinball-playfield-ramp-1634693053

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

is your diverter working properly?
It looks like your diverter is not holding in the down position.

If I manually push the diverter down (with the machine powered off), is it supposed to hold in the down position? (I do have the cam and its spring.)
6A955241-43EF-41D0-8722-889C03232D43 (resized).jpeg6A955241-43EF-41D0-8722-889C03232D43 (resized).jpeg

Quoted from chuckwurt:

It doesn't appear to be different than the one at Marco, but perhaps it's worn in ways that aren't easily noticeable?
370FB5F9-8ABB-4024-B1D7-D930E8456575 (resized).jpeg370FB5F9-8ABB-4024-B1D7-D930E8456575 (resized).jpeg

#9 1 year ago

That looks in good shape.

Yes, if you push the diverter down it should lock in the down position.

Push it again and it should cycle to the up position and continue in this cycle, up, down, up, down and lock in each position

Check your microswitch to confirm it is also working. That senses when the diverter is in the down position.

#10 1 year ago

Click on click off. The cam should rotate side to side with each fire of the coil.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Yes, if you push the diverter down it should lock in the down position.
Push it again and it should cycle to the up position and continue in this cycle, up, down, up, down and lock in each position

When pushing the diverter down, it DOES NOT lock in the down position; it just springs right back up. However, with a better understanding of how this thing is supposed to function (thanks to your info), I began to suspect that the spring attached to the cam wasn't strong enough to pull the cam over into the lock position. I replaced the spring with a new one, adjusting for just the right amount of pull, and the diverter now works as it's supposed to.

Thanks for all of the help, guys!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

When pushing the diverter down, it DOES NOT lock in the down position; it just springs right back up. However, with a better understanding of how this thing is supposed to function (thanks to your info), I began to suspect that the spring attached to the cam wasn't strong enough to pull the cam over into the lock position. I replaced the spring with a new one, adjusting for just the right amount of pull, and the diverter now works as it's supposed to.
Thanks for all of the help, guys!

Glad to hear it was a simple fix!

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Glad to hear it was a simple fix!

Being that I usually don't get off so easily, me too!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Being that I usually don't get off so easily, me too!

Diagnosing and actually resolving pinball problems can be all over the place. Some that you think should be super easy to fix turn out to be a pain then others that you think are going to be big problems almost fix themselves. Love the easy fixes. However the hard fixes when fixed are quite satisfying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pool-sharks-diverter-randomly-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.