2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Peruman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F1402530-6110-44FF-8415-C5DCBDAB9986 (resized).jpeg
    15C84FD2-8663-4076-A439-98F1095F51E4 (resized).jpeg
    43D05E2F-874E-40E3-AA30-21613CD751AB (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I have been using Polycrylic to level sunken inserts for a while now. It’s never given me any issues until the Lucky Hand I’m working on now.

After using a dropper to add polycrylic to the inserts to make them level, I noticed a few of them had dried milky (never had that issue before) and with “craters” on them (also never had that issue). See the photos below.

As I inspected them, I noticed the polycrylic felt soft. When I went to sand the inserts flat, it peeled right off the inserts. See photo. This also has never happened before.

Any ideas as to what could be happening and what the best course of action is to correct this?

Thanks

Alberto

15C84FD2-8663-4076-A439-98F1095F51E4 (resized).jpeg15C84FD2-8663-4076-A439-98F1095F51E4 (resized).jpeg43D05E2F-874E-40E3-AA30-21613CD751AB (resized).jpeg43D05E2F-874E-40E3-AA30-21613CD751AB (resized).jpegF1402530-6110-44FF-8415-C5DCBDAB9986 (resized).jpegF1402530-6110-44FF-8415-C5DCBDAB9986 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Is there any chance there was wax buildup on the inserts? If so, you may want to clean them up with naptha before applying it (though I am sure you know that already).

While this is unlikely, you might be using a bad batch of the Polycrylic. Are you sure the stuff you are using is actually good?

#3 2 years ago

I would not recommend polycrylic.
    But it looks like its not curing. You may do better applying multiple, thinner layers, letting it dry in between. Lightly sand in between too.

#4 2 years ago

Did you layer it? I have learned in the past it’s a one and done project. If I attempt to add more layers, it comes out milky and peels easily. I also do not sand after unless I really over filled it. Just put a small round of Mylar about the size of a penny or nickel (depending) over it. The Mylar keeps the polycrylic from wearing off.

What polycrylic are you using? Matte, Satin, Semi-Gloss, Gloss? Did you shake the can before applying? Tiny air bubbles may also cause milking.

#5 2 years ago

I did use naphtha to clean the PF and inserts. Maybe I did not wait long enough for it to dry.

Maybe it’s the can. It’s a relatively new one that I’ve used in the last two EMs I restored before this one. Those had no issues.

Could it be temperature related. My workshop is in my basement and it does run cold.

Alberto

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

Is there any chance there was wax buildup on the inserts? If so, you may want to clean them up with naptha before applying it (though I am sure you know that already).
    While this is unlikely, you might be using a bad batch of the Polycrylic. Are you sure the stuff you are using is actually good?

What he said, Polycrylic is usually good for only 9-12 months once opened.

#7 2 years ago

Just throwing this one out there. Do you have water condensation on your windows? I see it has been very cold out there in NH. Humidity set too high in house?

#8 2 years ago

Looks like this was a curing time issue either from thickness of the clear or the temperature in my shop.

I only removed three of the milky and soft inserts. They all smelled heavily like the solvent used in the Polycrylic. The ones I let sit for an extra day are now harder and more clear.

Hopefully this was it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polycrylic-not-attaching-to-inserts-and-cratering?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.