(Topic ID: 132952)

Polycarbonate playfield protectors suck! Got the perfect fix!!!

By gmkalos

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by StratDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1996 (resized).JPG
5 Final Assembly (resized).JPG
4 Protector Fit Check (resized).JPG
3 Details Cut (resized).JPG
2 Border Cut (resized).JPG
1 Stripped Playfield (resized).JPG
20160709_195341_(resized).jpg
20160709_222739_(resized).jpg
20160709_195950_(resized).jpg
20160706_223723_(resized).jpg
561d651d-c00b-4668-a61b-6b7928fadb4c_1000_(resized).jpg
Dremel-Trio_(resized).jpg
47222-s-c_(resized).jpg
protector_template_(resized).jpg
IMG_0720_(resized).JPG
IMG_0812_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Over time, they look like complete crap due to scratches, don't protect against dimples from games with kickouts and VUKs, and only have a marginally thicker consistency as D1M.

This is nonsense. I've had them installed on many of my machines for years. They look as good as the day they were installed - if you wipe down your machine and change balls regularly there will be no issues with looking "like complete crap". And they sure as hell prevent dimples from kickouts and VUKs - the ball does not impact or contact the playfield in any way - how can you even make that dumbass statement?

You obviously have zero experience with them.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I have several markalon ones. What would be best to clean these with??

I just wipe mine with Novus 1 and a clean cloth once in a while.

Quoted from Shannyman:

Sudsy I hope you are right? Putting one on my night rider as we speak.

I wish they made them for all of my old machines - I would buy them all. They are easy to install, but you do have to disassemble the flippers and pull a few wireforms, etc. Modern machines are a little more complicated, so you have to take notes/pictures to ensure you get it back together correctly - still isn't that bad. They tell me they are working on Royal Flush and will have them by the end of this year. I'm providing them measurements for Super Spin/Jet Spin so hopefully they will be producing it soon as well.

Don't get me wrong, obviously nothing beats a clearcoat playfield for beauty. On new machines, I believe it is worth $150 to protect that beauty with a .030" thick sheet of polycarbonate. On old machines, I believe it is worth $150 to cover the cupped inserts (and artwork touch-ups) to instantly make it into a fun, playable machine again - that is a much better solution than "just leave the game alone". The difference in speed is negligible to me and not even a factor, but as stated many times before, that is why the leg height is adjustable.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

If someone wants to send me a piece of 0.020" PET-G (the thickness of the protectors being sold) I'll repeat the test.

The protectors being sold are 0.030" - not 0.020". They are not soft mylar pop bumper platters. They are not PET-G. They are hard Lexan. They make "bullet-proof glass" from this stuff. I can drop a pinball from a yard onto a playfield protected with this lexan sheet - there won't be the slightest indentation in the playfield.

People who have no experience with the actual product - your "scientific" analysis is meaningless!

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If you own 300 games, this consitutes a $45K cost. The money could be better spent on games, parts, or even a new pinball transport vehicle.

Why did you choose 300, why not 3000? That would be $450K. That's a more impressive number you know. You could buy a new house with that (to store those 3000 pinball machines in). Still doesn't mean anything because I own 10 machines, but if you don't have anything to say that's actually "on point", why not go for total shock and awe, huh?

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'm making my own protector for a Bally Quarterback now. The main reason in this case is because the game has a BUNCH of inserts in front of the flippers and they are all cupped.

Yes, the pool ball rack inserts on my Pinball Pool were severely cupped like that - it was unplayable. It wasn't worth spending $1000+ (and labor) to get the playfield CC'd for a $400 machine, but it sure was worth spending $150 (fortunately they make that protector) and 2 hours to put a playfield protector on it. Plays like new now.

I never thought about match drilling a full piece protector. With no visible cut lines, it should look even better than the factory-made. The challenge will be cutting the nice ovals for the lane switches (unless you have access to a CNC milling machine). You are picky, so I know it will turn out good. Hopefully, you can have it ready for FPF in November!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

The "next generation" protectors are 0.02" PET-G - go look at the link on page 1.

I haven't tried them, so I won't judge them. I do suspect they went to them for reasons that aren't beneficial to the consumer though (like everything else in this world).

Also, the old Lexan playfield protectors that they used to sell (and I have installed on my machines) is 0.030" - not 0.070" (my mistake - I was thinking of some playfield plastics I had custom made). Even at 0.030" though, they bridge cupped inserts well and prevent dimpling. We'll have to actually test the "next generation" protectors to see if their performance is comparable.

#67 7 years ago

cottonm4 - very impressive work. That took some time and patience. Did you end up using the same cutout pattern as the German manufacturer for the star rollovers? I have some star rollovers on a couple of my games and if there is one complaint I have about the these overlays, it is how the ball gets re-vectored on those particular cutouts.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

For star roll over I'm going with a round hole. I will knock the rollover out of the playfield and install a new one slightly raised to be even with the protector.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I put everything together along with the protector and then I tapped the rollovers into position using a wood block to set the rollovers to proper height.

You guys seem to be on the same wavelength. Sounds like a good plan and a definite advantage to custom-building your own overlay. I may try making a "patch" to fill in my factory cutouts, then do what you guys did and raise the rollover insert to the same level as the overlay via a hole in the patch. If it looks too funky, I can always start from scratch.

#86 7 years ago

John - Did they ship the sheet flat or rolled up? I bought a protector from BAA once - they shipped it rolled up and I had to send it back because it was permanently deformed. The ones ordered directly from Germany are shipped flat.

2 months later
#94 7 years ago

I finally finished a protector for my Super Spin. It took a lot of time, but I'm very pleased with the results. Machine plays like a dream now. The punch set called out by John_I worked very well!1 Stripped Playfield (resized).JPG1 Stripped Playfield (resized).JPG2 Border Cut (resized).JPG2 Border Cut (resized).JPG3 Details Cut (resized).JPG3 Details Cut (resized).JPG4 Protector Fit Check (resized).JPG4 Protector Fit Check (resized).JPG5 Final Assembly (resized).JPG5 Final Assembly (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polycarbonate-playfield-protectors-suck-got-the-perfect-fix?tu=sudsy7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.