Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Langless28
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

24christ-span-articleLarge-v3.jpg
    2pac.jpg
    WaterBasedPoly.jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 8 years ago

I've had good results with polys. When I'm resuscitating a beater the type of clear I lay down hardly matters if it eventually tints yellow. I also use...GASP!...a foam brush for application. When I'm refurbing a cheap game, there's absolutely no rational for using superior auto clear.

IMO

#19 8 years ago

Because it's not ruined?

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you put on a coating that is going to turn amber, you have ruined the game.

Maybe (well, obviously) to you it does. However, it has no effect on a game's entertainment value. It will play better than the old, crack-riddled surface, will have better cosmetic appeal for play, and the old ink and touchups won't get chewed off immediately.

Keep in mind these are beaters that have substantial wear on the playfield. Games under $1000...some well under. It simply is not fiscally sound to spend that much money on. Higher end games or new repro fields? Yes, I can see going with the good stuff.

If you think going from this:

https://img-f.pinside.com/201411/2011160/311313-i.jpg

to this

https://img-f.pinside.com/201411/2011160/311320-i.jpg

is ruining this game because the clear may tint in the future, you are suffering from delusions. That game has been brought back from the brink of being parted out and is now cosmetically appealing for play. It will remain so with a tinted playfield. And someone got a nice game that wasn't overly expensive.

That's a pin-win, pal.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

If you want professional results 2PAC is the only way to go in my opinion

And I agree with that. However, I'm a hobbyist, not a professional "restorationist". If I were going to clear a more valuable machine, sure, 2PAC might be the choice. But in NO WAY does a poly *ruin* a player quality game. That is just straight up absurd, irrational hyperbole. It makes the colors richer by filling in all the surface fissures, making them invisible (most noticeable with black and dark colors) like any clear will; it protects the remaining original inks and the touchup work done; it is easily applied with no need for respiration protection; it cleans up with water; it looks great. Not only does it NOT ruin a game, it makes it look and play better. That is a VAST improvement in cosmetic appeal and playability of a beater game.

And I'm getting flack for that? WTH?

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Nice restoration Cody, now buy yourself a better camera.

Thanks, but no can do. Any extra money goes right into pinball parts. I already have a camera, even if it is an old POS.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A ruined game.
    Once they learn more about pins, I'm sure they will be delighted, lol.
    -
    Call the Louvre and see if they want you to fill in all the cracks on the Mona Lisa with some poly that will turn yellow.

Whatever man, regardless of your opinion, the game is not ruined. It was ruined by 30 years of play. After the retouch and clear, it is spared being parted out and will play great. THAT'S HARDLY RUINED. THAT IS RESCUED. How can you not get that?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The paint touch-ups on that HG were nicely done, Cody.

Thanks swampfire.

Quoted from vid1900:

Honestly, it's better to just say "Yeah, I boogered some games in the past with crappy repairs" than it is to try and defend crappy repairs.

You still don't get it. That field was ruined when I got it. My retouch and clear made it cosmetically (and mechanically) appealing for play. And it is till being played by the owner. There is nothing to defend. I took a playfield headed for the landfill and made it a nice casual player's game. Your clear coat snobbery is baffling.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No, that playfield was damaged when you got it.
    Now it's ruined.
    -
    True story:
    There was a new guy in our Mustang club that inherited a baby blue fastback 67 Stang. Original paint, 30K miles, original exhaust, his grandma's car.
    Although there were a few small scratches, and a little spot of rust on one door, we were all impressed by this vehicle.
    Sure enough, one day he drives it onto the field painted cop-stop-red. Fuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkk we all gasped.
    Vid: Dude why????
    Mustang Ruiner: You know, it had scratches....and it was starting to rust out.....
    Vid: That's not even a Ford color.
    Mustang Ruiner: I know, I had to choose a color that my buddy could get from his work.
    Vid: You probably just dropped the value of your car about $20,000
    Mustang Ruiner: C'mon. You know I got this thing for free, right?
    You are that guy.

That is not even a valid analogy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poly-vs-auto-clear?tu=cody_chunn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.