(Topic ID: 81569)

POLL: Your personal definition of "Collector Quality"

By CraZ4Pin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Where do you think a game needs to be in order to be considered "Collector Quality"??”

• Game is 100% (A+) Flawless and ALL Original (no reproduction parts) 21 votes
      18%
    • Game is 95%+ (Solid A) Hardly a blemish on the cabinet or playfield (minimal repro parts such as a ramp) 54 votes
      47%
    • Game is 90%+ (A-) Hardly a blemish/wear at all but a couple major Reproduction parts (such as playfield) 30 votes
      26%
    • Game is 88%+ (B+) A few minor issues - couple minor cabinet dings, very slight playfield wear 4 votes
      4%
    • Game is 85%+ (B) A very nice example with just a few cabinet issues, minor playfield wear (possibly covered by Cliffy's), but has a few upgrades (LED's, mods, etc) that bring up the value/collectibili 1 vote
      1%
    • Game is 80%+ (B-) The game has a few noticeable issues but better than player's condition. Game has Cliffy's covering wear spots (or decals to cover wear areas) and also has several upgrades (LED's, 4 votes
      4%

(114 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pop Bumpers.JPG
    Lower playfield 2.jpg
    Cabinet side by side.JPG
    Done 4.JPG
    Done 3-685.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craz4pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Just for fun ... I thought I'd add a quick poll just to gauge where people fall on the definition of "Collector Quality" (CQ). Personally, I think any game that is a 90%+ (out of 100) is worthy of being CQ, but I know some folks feel it has to be a 10 and some folks feel it could be a little less. What do you think?

#4 10 years ago

Most 'repro' parts I don't care about (such as ramps, plastics, etc.) but I DO care about the playfield for some reason, lol. Although repros typically look nice I really want an original playfield ... it just feels like the heart of the game for me.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from bballfan:

Better than new in box.

Say what?? lol. So a game just pulled out of the box is not "Collector quality"? The last couple definitions of CQ on here are the extremists. I think that's when I pull out the term "Museum Quality".

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i personally do not give a crap whether a part is reproduction or original (as long as the repro is not worse quality than the original). condition and quality are all i care about. i guess i'm not a real collector.

For most parts I agree, but I have to have an original playfield (NOS or otherwise). Not a repro. It's like the body of an old car ... you can put in new parts when restoring it, but the body of the car better be original (even if restored.)

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Chris @ HEP restoring a game will definitely be better than NIB.

It may play better than a NIB (pretty much a given for HEP, lol) but I don't personally consider it CQ if it doesn't have an original playfield. An artist may be able to create an exact replica of the Mona Lisa but it's still not the real deal.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

uh, you realize each playifeld isn't hand-painted by the artist, right?

Uh, yes ... but it is a limited print/edition from original artwork from the original manufacturer, right? It is not artwork that is reproduced by someone else.

I would not consider a '67 Mustang an original if it had a body that was reproduced by some other company. Then it would just be a replica.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

I restored a KISS. Has an NOS perfect back glass, new perfect playfield, new complete cabinet. What would this be considered?

Playfield is NOS? Plays 100%? From what I see ... looks CQ.

#57 10 years ago

Well, after 87 votes the general consensus of what "Collector Quality" means seems to be somewhere between 90% and 95% perfect (a game you would say is about 93% perfect on average.) There could be a very small (minor) blemish or two to the cabinet, and minimal repro parts added/replaced (original playfield preferred.) No visible playfield wear (albeit, some dimpling is expected/acceptable).

A few people want it absolutely flawless (better than new) and a few folks think it is sitll worthy of being a collector with even a little more wear. But in general, the above seems about right on.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craz4pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-your-personal-definition-of-collector-quality?tu=craz4pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.