(Topic ID: 201953)

Poll: Your favorite Bally "Class of '81"?

By NicoVolta

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pincoin
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you could only have one from Bally's "Class of '81"... which would it be?”

• Flash Gordon 36 votes
    14%
  • Eight Ball Deluxe 60 votes
    24%
  • Embryon 12 votes
    5%
  • Fireball II 5 votes
    2%
  • Fathom 75 votes
    29%
  • Medusa 9 votes
    4%
  • Centaur 52 votes
    20%
  • Elektra 6 votes
    2%

(255 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PM03-cover-low-res (resized).jpg
mysticglass.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Bally's "Class of '81" represented the creative peak of the early SS-era. If you were trapped on a desert island (presumably with a solar panel and AC socket), which one would you pick to keep you occupied between catching fish and signaling planes and boats?

#3 6 years ago

Interesting... if you look at the production counts for Bally, you'll see how the story played out:

1974 - First SS prototypes: Bow and Arrow (17) and Flicker (1) using the "Bally Brain" Intel 4004 - world's first single-chip processor.

1975 - Wizard! With over 10,000 produced, "Tommy" license, and huge backglass w/commercial-quality art... this was the blockbuster which announced to Gottlieb (and the rest of the pinball world) that Bally was, indeed, now taking over the industry. Bow & Arrow also produced this year in high quantity (over 7600). Bally's excellent solid-state hardware platform is already primed for production.

1976 - Bigfoot concept (2 produced), an obvious early ancestor of Atari Hercules. Other games produced were Flip Flop, Old Chicago, Hokus Pokus, Aladdin's Castle, Night Rider, Hang Glider, Captain Fantastic (another blockbuster... over 16k produced!), and Freedom which was also the first commercial SS produced in quantity. Black Jack was slated for solid-state production and thus the EM version only had 120 produced... a sign of things to come. Also let's not forget how much solid-state practice Bally was getting via the Fireball home edition - a stupendous 10,000 produced!

1977 - Bally EM phase-out year! Only 155 Evel Knievel and 170 Mata Hari EM's built. "Kick Off" (prod 1655) used up the last of the EM parts. Meanwhile, TWO blockbusters this year... Evel Knievel 14,000 and Eight Ball setting a new all-time record with a massive 20,230 produced... which is why you always see so many on Craigslist! 7000 for Night Rider and nearly 5000 for Black Jack as well. The SS production machine is cranking 'em out like never before.

1978 - Bally EM's now totally gone except bingos (last big year for them). SS pinball hitting full throttle... every game released this year at least 10,000 production run! Skateball prototype built. Power Play. Mata Hari. Strikes and Spares. Lost World. Six Million Dollar Man. Playboy is the biggest seller topping 18,000 which in total makes a staggering 81,730 produced by Bally in '78... holy moly and still not the top!

1979 - First year for widebodies: Paragon followed by Future Spa. Bally still producing games in huge numbers with the exception of Voltan at only 365. Star Trek. Kiss. Harlem Globetrotters. Supersonic. Dolly Parton. Not to be outdone by the previous year, 1979 still stands as Bally's all-time pinball production peak at 81,967.

1980 - Production slows a little but is still healthy at 61,000 for the year. Blockbusters are Silverball Mania, Space Invaders, and Xenon but barely top 10,000 apiece. Hotdoggin' was the second widebody of 1980... only 2050 made. Nitro Ground Shaker. Rolling Stones. Mystic. Viking. Skateball. Frontier is the rarest at only 1850.

1981 - THE peak of the early SS-era and our beloved "Class of '81": Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, Embryon, Fireball II, Fathom, Medusa, Centaur, Elektra. By now, Bally's creativity was on full boil and seemed unstoppable. HOWEVER... behind the scenes pinball production had nearly dropped in half to 36,200 for the year. Most of which only reach the 2500-3500 range except Eight Ball Deluxe at 8250 and Flash Gordon barely hitting 10,000. Alert! Video games are eating pinball's lunch!!!

1982 - Bally's pinball division is desperate for a breakout hit to stem the video game tsunami. They make wild swings in every direction... unfortunately missing the mark nearly every time. Vector (Vecturd) is a committee-kludge of a game. Spectrum is extremely innovative, albeit not very fun. Bally resorted to making some outright copies (Rapid Fire as Hyperball clone, Baby Pac-Man as Caveman clone). BMX had promise but was scrapped after only 406 made (was reborn in '87 as Hardbody). Speakeasy was a throwback to old EM roulette wheel games but wasn't that fun, and Eight Ball Deluxe LE was re-released for a quick buck to use up spare Rapid Fire cabs. Overall, not looking good... nearly 34,000 produced but most are duds and the Titanic is sinking fast.

Biggest irony of '82? The only pinballs which sold in significant quantity were video game licenses: Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man and Baby Pac-Man. Ouch. The vids won. They would be Bally's last two games to reach near-blockbuster status... by a longshot.

In my opinion, this is the exact moment when Bally's momentum ran off the railroad tracks. Oh, but what a glorious ride it was. *sniff*

Looking a bit further ahead...

1983 - The video game crash nearly takes the entire pinball industry down with it. Fewer than 5000 Bally pinballs in total were made this year and only two were originals: Grand Slam and Gold Ball... blech! Another re-release, Centaur II, used up the last of the Rapid Fire cabs.

Subsequent games were generally of dubious quality and had low production runs (rarely exceeding 2500). If the Bally magic was struggling in '82, it was gone for good by '83... but never forgotten.

Williams, meanwhile, spent their early years messing around with goofy amateurish spaceship and D&D themes and hadn't managed to ramp up a single production game beyond 10,000 until as late as 1979. A few memorable breakout hits like Firepower, Gorgar, and Black Knight finally emerged, but overall Williams was unable to keep pace with the Bally juggernaut during the early years. 1981's numbers barely topped 15,000 in total and from 1982 through late 1984 Williams barely produced any pinball whatsoever!

Yet, somehow, in late 1984, completely against the odds, Williams turned the tables and surpassed Bally's commercial quality art, gameplay, and innovation with a brilliant and beautiful game. A game which blasted Williams solidly into first place, reinvigorated the entire pinball industry, and never looked back.

That game would be Space Shuttle. Ah, but that is another story...

#4 6 years ago

Still not sure if Medusa or Centaur would be my second-place choice after Fathom. Would need to own both and play them a lot to be certain. Anyone wanna loan me a pair for a year or so?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

btw Paragon was the first Bally widebody, and was produced before Future Spa.

Oops... sometimes sorting by date doesn't line up quite right via IPDB. Also "manufacture date" vs. "project date" sometimes messes things up (I go with manufacture date).

Corrected!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There are extra Bally games that are missing from this list, if you "roll the clock" back by only a few months in manufacture.

True... this was originally a cut-n-paste effort from my notes a few years ago when I was building historical data to help me learn about the games I personally liked.

I'll add the missing solid-state stragglers so it can be a more complete reference.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

I had the complete set. In order I'd go
Fathom
Centaur
Flash Gordon
Embryon
EBD
Fireball 2
Elektra

No Medusa?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Voted Centaur. True desert-island scenario I would probably choose EBD, but from an ownership standpoint in the real world (as I own none of them) I would pick Centaur. Too many EBD clones (LE, Bad Girls, Sharkey's Shootout) for me to feel it special to have the '81 version. Centaur is unique.
Flash Gorden would be close... I like it a lot. But I think Centaur is a better game.

Centaur is great... I just can't decide if Medusa is better or not. Need to play more to be sure.

Fathom edges out Centaur and EBD for me because I get two paths of in-line drop targets (one of which is awesome to hit across the top), a spinner, multiball (though Centaur's 5-ball is insane for '81!), two rows of drops, and just a beautiful unusual theme.

Flash Gordon... damn. Hate that sumbitch. Such cool art. Such unforgiving gameplay. Really, the game should either give you a credit when pushing start or pop open the coin box and punch you in the stomach at random.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-your-favorite-class-of-81-bally?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.