Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by HeadRush
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What game do you have from the current era of playfield controversy?”

• I have a Jurassic Park - NO playfield issues 7 votes
      3%
    • I have a Jurassic Park - YES i have playfield issues 12 votes
      5%
    • I have a Willy Wonka - NO playfield issues 7 votes
      3%
    • I have a Willy Wonka - YES i have playfield issues 16 votes
      7%
    • I have a Stern made before JP (Batman through BKSOR) - NO playfield issues 41 votes
      17%
    • I have a Stern made before JP (Batman through BKSOR) - YES playfield issues 41 votes
      17%
    • I have a JJP POTC - NO playfield issues 14 votes
      6%
    • I have a JJP POTC - YES playfield issues 14 votes
      6%
    • I am NOT buying NIB (from affected manufacturers) until i hear official word on this 70 votes
      29%
    • I AM buying NIB (from affected manufacturers) because i trust they will take care of this 23 votes
      9%

(Multiple choice - 245 votes by 159 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

Really looking for a decent idea of how bad the current playfield problems are or have been.

I have read most of the threads. Many with people claiming to cancel orders and not buy NIB.

I have a NIB on order and i am not sure what i will do.

If there's any way to start a topic here without it becoming another bitch-fest , that is my intention.

Please vote if you have an affect or unaffected game.

There are other threads to document and discuss detailed playfield issues.

Sorry to anyone that this causes stress for, especially friends i have working at various pinball companies. I think this will be important data, barring any trolling or fake votes.

Playfield issues - pooling , blistering , clear cracking , lifting artwork etc.

Mods . if this turns bad , please delete.

#3 4 years ago

edit : i was going to request delete , but a lot of people have voted already .. maybe someway to merge data?

#4 4 years ago

i think the data for affected NIB purchases is important in mine , so for now i will keep it .. Sorry for any duplication

#5 4 years ago

Not really hard to figure out. This is a pervasive issue that will likely impact you. If you're already thinking about it, just hold off. Not sure what the rush is especially considering the pf will likely have an issue.

#6 4 years ago

I’m curious if humidity has anything to do with the issues. What state are those in that have playfield issues? 0 issues in the good ol dry heat of Colorado.

#7 4 years ago

I’ve Got 1 with and 1 without. I don’t think humidity has anything to do w/ it. I worked on an assembly line years ago, and we had to do torque checks start of shift and after breaks. The first time I saw this issue I was thinking they had been over tightened. Yes not fully cured playfields would have something to do with the end result, but I’m betting this is an assembly root cause.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I’ve Got 1 with and 1 without. I don’t think humidity has anything to do w/ it. I worked on an assembly line years ago, and we had to do torque checks start of shift and after breaks. The first time I saw this issue I was thinking they had been over tightened. Yes not fully cured playfields would have something to do with the end result, but I’m betting this is an assembly root cause.

This would imply that JJP and Stern share an assembly line.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

This would imply that JJP and Stern share an assembly line.

No it would imply they are over tightening.. or 1 of the many operations in an assembly line process is over tightening. It can absolutely be a common root cause in manufacturing

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

No it would imply they are over tightening.. or 1 of the many operations in an assembly line process is over tightening. It can absolutely be a common root cause in manufacturing

For all I know they don’ t even have torque specs set. A minimum wage worker is likely just ramming them down with a cordless drill.

#11 4 years ago

This poll is way too complicated for us drinkers and smokers

#12 4 years ago

My low play Maiden LE I bought NIB has a ton of pooling around at least 8 posts, one pretty close to chipping.

Reached out to Stern / Chas multiple times with pictures and have received zero responses.

I was planning on buying a Beatles and JP. Instead I’ve picked up a Fathom and Centaur. It’s a pretty bad move to not take care of somebody that drops 9k on one of your games, and an even even worse one to not even respond to repeated emails pointing out the issue.

Until I hear from them with some kind of acknowledgement and assurances they’ll take care of me eventually, I’m permanently out buying NIB from them.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

My low play Maiden LE I bought NIB has a ton of pooling around at least 8 posts, one pretty close to chipping.
    Reached out to Stern / Chas multiple times with pictures and have received zero responses.
    I was planning on buying a Beatles and JP. Instead I’ve picked up a Fathom and Centaur. It’s a pretty bad move to not take care of somebody that drops 9k on one of your games, and an even even worse one to not even respond to repeated emails pointing out the issue.
    Until I hear from them with some kind of acknowledgement and assurances they’ll take care of me eventually, I’m permanently out buying NIB from them.

First of all, congrats on grabbing the best of the Class of ‘81. Second, this is the most disturbing post I’ve read here. What chance do us lowly Pro buyers have if an LE buyer gets snubbed? I hope you were nice to Chas, he’s always taken care of me when I was honest and calm.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

First of all, congrats on grabbing the best of the Class of ‘81. Second, this is the most disturbing post I’ve read here. What chance do us lowly Pro buyers have if an LE buyer gets snubbed? I hope you were nice to Chas, he’s always taken care of me when I was honest and calm.

LOL thanks. Chas is a saint, I’m sure his hands are tied. I’m always gracious and polite, and up until now they’ve always done right by me.

I will say in the past they replaced a badly ghosting Star Wars pro playfield, and have always helped me out with random issues that have popped up with my other NIB games. Heck, even for games I wasn’t the original owner of! So I was a little surprised to get the cold shoulder on this as an LE buyer.

Its not the end of the world. I still love their games and will buy them later down the line on the second hand market. But man, until they make this right there’s no way I can justify dropping that kind of cash plus tax on something that another collector is going to call me out on when it comes time to sell if I don’t disclose... I lose enough money as it is on my perfectly maintained HUO games, now I have to add unfixable playfield wear to the pricing equation? Awesome.

#15 4 years ago

Chas is a really good guy. I’d walk over Legos for him. I hope these problems haven’t made his job untenable, we need him there at Stern.

2 weeks later
    #16 4 years ago

Stern replaced my Star Wars Premium warped playfield with a new populated one. It took about 4 months from start to finish, but they made it right.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-willy-wonka-jurassic-park-current-issues?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.