(Topic ID: 235524)

Poll: Which type of "Creepy" theme would you prefer in a new pin?

By Beechwood

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll: Which new type of "Creepy" theme would you prefer and why?”

• I would prefer a darker, serious, suspenseful type game as a new title 115 votes
      66%
    • I would prefer a fun and lighthearted game as a new title 58 votes
      34%

(173 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

House of Secrets (resized).jpg
    The Witching Hour (resized).jpeg
    20190212_141806 (resized).jpg
    MV5BMjE3OTY5MzMtYTVhYi00MmQ4LTg5MDAtZjMwZDUwYTU4ZDM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_ (resized).jpg
    images (1) (resized).jpg
    fanart (resized).jpg
    The_Green_Slime_(1968_movie_poster) (resized).jpg
    l0StZcmlI5Md5dEJ906nqiu6GYS (resized).jpg
    110107peeweeherman1 (resized).jpg
    05349267-9CB4-4AE3-AD2E-FACFBCBA7C75 (resized).jpeg
    the-stuff-main (resized).jpg
    Creepshow_Cover_WEB_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    zombie flesh eaters 03 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    creeps (resized).jpg
    b6e2742494e723c98ae71cf2fc339990--cardboard-mask-horror-comics (resized).jpg
    There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Just looking to see where people stand on the "dark" or "serious" type of game verses the "fun" and "cheesy" type of games. (Like the difference between Alien and Monster Bash, for example, or BSD and Munsters).

Joel
    Hey, its only pinball

#2 5 years ago

Please chime in as to why you voted the way you did.

Me personally, I like the dark suspense but with the little ones I can see going a little more light hearted.

But I also like to scare them a bit so... I am torn.

#3 5 years ago

Alien...you know..one that isn't 10k+ and unfinished.

#4 5 years ago

I prefer to keep it lighthearted, funny with just a twist of creepy. Addams Family and The Munsters comes to mind as well as the Elvira series. (which I hope #3 arrives this year!)

#5 5 years ago

Evil Dead would be BAD ASS!!! Campy humor and horror....

#6 5 years ago

Personally I would love a “IT” game. 2 more movies to come out so who knows. Also a Friday the 13th would be great!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

I prefer to keep it lighthearted, funny with just a twist of creepy. Addams Family and The Munsters comes to mind as well as the Elvira series. (which I hope #3 arrives this year!)

I like that too. But I can't resist the dark music and adrenaline I feel with the more serious titles.

So torn...

#8 5 years ago

Fun and lighthearted for me. The knocker always scares the crap out of me so I don't need anything else scaring me!

Beetlejuice would probably make a great machine. Spell B-E-E-T-L-E-G-U-I-S-E three times for the craziest multiball you've ever played.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jsampel:

Personally I would love a “IT” game. 2 more movies to come out so who knows. Also a Friday the 13th would be great!

I personally would love Fthe13th... if for nothing else the soundtrack. Classic!!

#10 5 years ago

I'd love to see a Disney's Haunted Mansion pinball! Maybe done in shades of blue/violet along with the different versions of the theme, "Grim Grinning Ghosts" it could definitely be cool looking.
    Possibly not a deep enough theme for any good callouts/humor, but there are now 2 Pirates of the Caribbean games...just saying

#11 5 years ago

The Blob

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from ctviss:

Fun and lighthearted for me. The knocker always scares the crap out of me so I don't need anything else scaring me!
    Beetlejuice would probably make a great machine. Spell B-E-E-T-L-E-G-U-I-S-E three times for the craziest multiball you've ever played.

True this.

Beetlejuice has a great mix of adult and child like humor.

Well done.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from EdisonArcade:

I'd love to see a Disney's Haunted Mansion pinball! Maybe done in shades of blue/violet along with the different versions of the theme, "Grim Grinning Ghosts" it could definitely be cool looking.
    Possibly not a deep enough theme for any good callouts/humor, but there are now 2 Pirates of the Caribbean games...just saying

Yes! As a child I remember listening to the record that came with a book so you could read along as the audio played. The Haunted mansion was pretty dark for a 6 year old. But I loved it!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The Blob

I am thinking that pin may have too many ambiguous shots

#15 5 years ago

As far as adding a little cheesy humor in Night of the living dead and gremlins might be good.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jsampel:

As far as adding a little cheesy humor in Night of the living dead and gremlins might be good.

Ooooo... never thought of gremlins.

Great audio call-outs and lots of interactive playfield toy possibilities.

Good call

#17 5 years ago

IT would be a great theme.

#18 5 years ago

The Shinning

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The Shinning

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.."

That would be very dark, I like it

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Ooooo... never thought of gremlins.
    Great audio call-outs and lots of interactive playfield toy possibilities.
    Good call

There's a pretty cool Future Pinball Gremlins table. And yes, agreed, it would be a good theme for a pin.

#21 5 years ago

The Thing

#22 5 years ago

Kurt Russell and the 2011 remake. Both great! Would make a gory pin!

I’ve been to the opening night of every Fri the 13th flick since 1980. That would be a great title too.

#23 5 years ago

The Thing would be great, except we still are reeling from the Polar Vortex that froze our asses off last week.

Antarctica is furthest from the mind. Maybe in July

#24 5 years ago

Scary movie when I was a child..I remember it had some kind of warning before watching (black/white tv). I think I watched maybe 1/4 of it, and turned it off...or ran out of the room
    I should watch it now.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Kurt Russell and the 2011 remake. Both great! Would make a gory pin!
    I’ve been to the opening night of every Fri the 13th flick since 1980. That would be a great title too.

Dude, every opening night?

That is LOYALTY!!

#26 5 years ago

It has been mentioned in other threads, but Rocky Horror Picture Show

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Scary movie when I was a child..I remember it had some kind of warning before watching (black/white tv). I think I watched maybe 1/4 of it, and turned it off...or ran out of the room
    I should watch it now.

Could save money, wouldn't need a color display

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

The Thing would be great, except we still are reeling from the Polar Vortex that froze our asses off last week.
    Antarctica is furthest from the mind. Maybe in July

Fair enough

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

It has been mentioned in other threads, but Rocky Horror Picture Show

Modes that shift as you play... A jump to the left (shoot left)... a step to the right (hit targets on the right)

Genius!!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Dude, every opening night?
    That is LOYALTY!!

It’s been fun. I was 14 when #1 came out. I’m 52 now. Damn...

#31 5 years ago

from dusk till dawn game would be neat........

#32 5 years ago

I think SAW would make a good pin. All the traps would make some really cool toys. I also agree with a Friday the 13th pin that would be pretty cool.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from gmanrulz46:

from dusk till dawn game would be neat........

That theme may push the "dark" theme beyond black for pinball lol!

#34 5 years ago

Another that comes to mind is Killer Clowns From Outer Space.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

I think SAW would make a good pin. All the traps would make some really cool toys. I also agree with a Friday the 13th pin that would be pretty cool.

I always thought saw would be a supreme theme for a pin. But it seems it may have run it's course after 8 movies.

tTinking about the possibilities for pin toys, layout and rule set makes me drool.

#37 5 years ago

Someone should attempt an ACTUAL horror game. Playfield blackouts, LCD jumpscares, cabinet knocking sounds, light strobing, tormented soul SFX. Real mess with your head stuff.

Everything attempted in the genre has been pretty cartoonish.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Someone should attempt an ACTUAL horror game. Playfield blackouts, LCD jumpscares, cabinet knocking sounds, light strobing, tormented soul SFX. Real mess with your head stuff.

I totally agree. That is the ultimate visceral response a pin can make.

And it will happen.

Hence the reason I started this thread...

#39 5 years ago

Imagine Exorcist... that gives me the creeps thinking of playing that in the dark alone.

#40 5 years ago

Phantasm.

5E2A0C45-FAC4-43DF-8D10-A836CA51E111 (resized).jpeg5E2A0C45-FAC4-43DF-8D10-A836CA51E111 (resized).jpeg
    #41 5 years ago

Yea a cool horror theme , Friday the 13th would be cool . Maybe at the first ball you can choose a different sterotype camp counselor or Jason . One game play you try. Eating modes without Jason getting you and killing you and the other game play u could be trying to escape . A 2 player game would be sweet if one was Jason and the other a camper . Get points for getting away and take points and bonuses for attacking campers

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

Imagine Exorcist... that gives me the creeps thinking of playing that in the dark alone.

The first time I saw the Exorcist was at my girlfriends house when I was 17. she was a Preachers daughter, and the parents were away for the weekend... and we were right next door to the church.

I'm probably going to hell...

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Yea a cool horror theme , Friday the 13th would be cool . Maybe at the first ball you can choose a different sterotype camp counselor or Jason . One game play you try. Eating modes without Jason getting you and killing you and the other game play u could be trying to escape . A 2 player game would be sweet if one was Jason and the other a camper . Get points for getting away and take points and bonuses for attacking campers

The beauty of Horror films... so many possibilities when it comes to pins

#44 5 years ago

Lovecraft

#45 5 years ago

I would love an original, not tied to a movie, pin. Like haunted house, zombies, ghosts anything really. Just something creepy, like Rascal_h said Otherwise any of those classic scary movies, the campy ones could be decent too.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

I would love an original, not tied to a movie, pin. Like haunted house, zombies, ghosts anything really. Just something creepy, like Rascal_h said Otherwise any of those classic scary movies, the campy ones could be decent too.

I agree. A GOOD original theme. Something creative and not tied to license restrictions

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

...Like haunted house, zombies, ghosts...

Good idea! And since we just got Walking Dead and Ghost Busters, i'd say a haunted house theme should be next:

h mansion lp (resized).jpgh mansion lp (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago

Not Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That shit is too scary.
    I mean the original one from 1974. I'm not up on all the other ones after that.

You knew early on that some of these young people were gonna get wacked. Ummm, I mean hacked.
    texas_chainsaw_massacre-kids (resized).jpgtexas_chainsaw_massacre-kids (resized).jpg

This dude was scary. And there are people out there in the world like this too. That, ...is scary.
    Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre-leatherface (resized).jpgTexas-Chainsaw-Massacre-leatherface (resized).jpg

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from ctviss:

That would be 3x11=33 hits to spell that word, I’d be exhausted before that happened.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

It seems like this would be treading a difficult line of starting to feel old quickly, because once you know all the scares I imagine it'd lose luster. Pinball's done a great job in the past of making something repetitive be interesting every time though, so a game that's good enough surely can make it around the diminishing returns of replayed horror.

Very cool design area to explore, that's for sure.

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-which-type-of-spooky-them-would-you-prefer-in-a-new-title?hl=smognote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.