(Topic ID: 235524)

Poll: Which type of "Creepy" theme would you prefer in a new pin?

By Beechwood

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll: Which new type of "Creepy" theme would you prefer and why?”

• I would prefer a darker, serious, suspenseful type game as a new title 115 votes
      66%
    • I would prefer a fun and lighthearted game as a new title 58 votes
      34%

(173 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

House of Secrets (resized).jpg
    The Witching Hour (resized).jpeg
    20190212_141806 (resized).jpg
    MV5BMjE3OTY5MzMtYTVhYi00MmQ4LTg5MDAtZjMwZDUwYTU4ZDM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_ (resized).jpg
    images (1) (resized).jpg
    fanart (resized).jpg
    The_Green_Slime_(1968_movie_poster) (resized).jpg
    l0StZcmlI5Md5dEJ906nqiu6GYS (resized).jpg
    110107peeweeherman1 (resized).jpg
    05349267-9CB4-4AE3-AD2E-FACFBCBA7C75 (resized).jpeg
    the-stuff-main (resized).jpg
    Creepshow_Cover_WEB_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    zombie flesh eaters 03 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    creeps (resized).jpg
    b6e2742494e723c98ae71cf2fc339990--cardboard-mask-horror-comics (resized).jpg
    There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

Texas Chainsaw Massacre would be awesome especially if it was based off the 2003 - 2006 versions or the new Halloween movies directed by Rob Zombie

#52 5 years ago

I can't help myself but keep falling back to the 80's movie gems

And yes I want a pin that will scare the shit out of me and my guests !

bring on the Horror !

AW (resized).jpgAW (resized).jpgED (resized).jpgED (resized).jpgFK (resized).jpgFK (resized).jpgGrem (resized).jpgGrem (resized).jpgaliens-86 (resized).jpgaliens-86 (resized).jpghellraiser (resized).jpghellraiser (resized).jpgthe-hitcher- (resized).jpgthe-hitcher- (resized).jpg
    #53 5 years ago

Creepy eh? What about Creepy the Magazine?
    Creepy (resized).jpgCreepy (resized).jpg

#54 5 years ago

Return of the living dead.

#55 5 years ago
    fp1usdeyvzlpxlhf203c-4e1dab3 (resized).jpgfp1usdeyvzlpxlhf203c-4e1dab3 (resized).jpg
    #56 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:I can't help myself but keep falling back to the 80's movie gems
    bring on the Horror ![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If there is a Rurger pin before Blade Runner I'll riot

#57 5 years ago

I haven’t watched it yet, but I hear good thing about Black Mirror. Kinda like a modern twilight zone

#58 5 years ago

I would like another dark creppy pins some themes that intrest me are the thing, Halloween, Friday the 13th, and the shining.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

It seems like this would be treading a difficult line of starting to feel old quickly, because once you know all the scares I imagine it'd lose luster. Pinball's done a great job in the past of making something repetitive be interesting every time though, so a game that's good enough surely can make it around the diminishing returns of replayed horror.
    Very cool design area to explore, that's for sure.

Could experiment with multiple effects for the same shot/mode/achievement. That way you never know what is coming, adding to the suspense and keeping the "scare" value going

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Could experiment with multiple effects for the same shot/mode/achievement. That way you never know what is coming, adding to the suspense and keeping the "scare" value going

What if you could somehow have a small air compressor in the game with 2 exhaust lines tucked behind the front legs, and a "Hit the Rats" video mode that would show rats scurrying around someones feet, and it would shoot random puffs of air at your ankles - imagine your wife standing there barefoot playing it - i can almost hear her scream now. She'd probably never play it again lol

#61 5 years ago

I prefer the fun and lighthearted, campy stuff. Those are always fun to play and timeless. Horror themes can be fun but I just never had much interest in theme. TWD just looks ugly imo and I don't get the feeling that I am fighting zombies by hitting a ball up a ramp. I thought Alien was cool and captured the suspense and action of the films. Love to see more things like that but seems like you have to be in the right mood to play an intense game. More often I just want to chill and relax when playing pinball.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

I can't help myself but keep falling back to the 80's movie gems
    bring on the Horror ![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

While a licensed theme can be great because of familiarity with the subject matter, it can be both inclusionary and exclusionary depending on the person playing. It's better for routed pins, but one that is basically for the HUO, not sure it is the best idea.

My dream pin would be The Simpsons Tree House of Horror theme. But alas... that damn licensing.

Take that money and put it back into the pin and focus on game play, effects, competent and complete code... just thinking out loud here.

#63 5 years ago

1. Alien/s
    2. Evil Dead/Army of Darkness/Ash vs Evil Dead (More than enough content for a pin)3
    3. Svengoolie (Elvira is nicer to look at but this guys great and add 5 or 6 public domain flics and a chicken tossing multiball!)
    Anyone seen "Hereditary"? Not good for a pin but man that was a f#@ked up movie that stuck with me for dayzz.

Svengoolie[1] (resized).jpgSvengoolie[1] (resized).jpg
    #64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

1. Alien/s
    2. Evil Dead/Army of Darkness/Ash vs Evil Dead (More than enough content for a pin)3
    3. Svengoolie (Elvira is nicer to look at but this guys great and add 5 or 6 public domain flics and a chicken tossing multiball!)
    Anyone seen "Hereditary"? Not good for a pin but man that was a f#@ked up movie that stuck with me for dayzz.[quoted image]

Kinda like Human Centipede... creepy and f**ked up but not a good pin title.

I wouldn't be able to look at the dudes ugly mug staring at me or in my game room period (Svengoolie) lol

#65 5 years ago

I haven't found a pin yet that captures the creepiness and terror of alien abduction, dark in tone, startling, almost makes you feel bad for the ball. Something along the lines of:

Fire in the Sky
    The Fourth Kind

I want a pin that makes you think twice about playing it, almost like a ouija board

#66 5 years ago

unnamed (resized).pngunnamed (resized).png

The horror theme that I'd like to see next would be something based on H.P. Lovecraft. I'd probably go with Arkham Horror, which is a fairly popular board game that could likely be lisenced cheaply and provide some direction and artistic assets. The game is set in a fictitious village of Arkham, MA in the 1920s or 1930s. There are various locations on a map: library, bank, train station, town square, asylum, woods, etc. Portals to other worlds, called "gates", are opening in these locations and releasing monsters into our world. Investigators must battle monsters and close these gates. Finally, when enough gates have been opened an "Ancient One" is awoken and the players have to defeat it. Cthulhu is the most famous, but there are many different Ancient One monsters in the game.

I really think that would translate quite well to pinball. I'm thinking a toy similar to the ship on Attack From Mars would work well as the gate. It opens and you must close it, which makes sense with both the toy and theme. I would also use pop targets similar to those on Scared Stiff with smaller monster toys mounted on them. I'm surprised those are not used more as it is free motion, which for me adds interest to the game. Complete a certain number of gates and you start the Ancient One battle(s). Perhaps have a larger toy(s), where the eyes gradually glow brighter, showing that the Ancient One is awakening. Since these are often beasts with tentacles, you could also have the main shots represent each of the tentacles. Cut them off then perhaps back to the gate shot which can also represent the main body of one of the Ancient Ones.

One other unique thing with this board game is that you also are battling your own sanity, which could be cool to try to incorporate into the game. Maybe reverse the flippers or even make it look like there are errors in the the game culminating in it appearing to shut itself off and restart. Perhaps that's more like the ninth reactor in Total Nuclear Annihilation. In saving the world you are sacrificing yourself and enter a state of insanity. It's a fine line between that being confusing versus making the player feel slightly insane in a fun way. Alternatively that would be a fun way to start a midnight madness mode. Basically have midnight madness introduce the fact that you are actually an inmate in the asylum.

#67 5 years ago

given the fact that several bootique manufacturers are incurring delays when it comes to delivering the games they revealed months ago, heres a creepy title with a built-in catch phrase to help remind people of their latest release.
    iknow01 (resized).jpgiknow01 (resized).jpg

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

[quoted image]
    The horror theme that I'd like to see next would be something based on H.P. Lovecraft. I'd probably go with Arkham Horror, which is a fairly popular board game that could likely be lisenced cheaply and provide some direction and artistic assets. The game is set in a fictitious village of Arkham, Massachusetts. There are various locations on a map: library, bank, train station, town square, asylum, etc. Portals to other worlds, called "gates", are opening around the town releasing monsters into our world. Investigators must battle monsters and close these gates. When enough gates have been opened an "Ancient One" is awoken and the players have to defeat it. Cthulhu is the most famous, but there are many different Ancient One monsters in the game.
    I really think that would translate quite well to pinball. I'm thinking a toy similar to the ship on Attack From Mars would work well as the gate. It opens and you must close it, which makes sense with both the toy and theme. I would also use pop targets similar to those on Scared Stiff with smaller monster toys mounted on them. I'm surprised those are not used more as it is free motion, which for me adds interest to the game. Complete a certain number of gates and you start the Ancient One battle(s). Perhaps have a larger toy(s), where the eyes gradually glow brighter, showing that the Ancient One is awakening. Since these are often beasts with tentacles, you could also have the main shots represent each of the tentacles. Cut them off then perhaps back to the gate shot which can also represent the main body of the monster.
    One other unique thing with this board game is that you also are battling your own sanity, which could be cool to try to incorporate into the game. Maybe reverse the flippers or even make it look like there are errors in the the game culminating in it appearing to shut itself off and restart. Perhaps that's more like the ninth reactor in Total Nuclear Annihilation. In saving the world you are sacrificing yourself and entering a state of insanity. It's a fine line between that being confusing versus making the player feel slightly insane in a fun way.

That sounds like a perfect theme, will all those elements involved.

Interestingly, you nailed a few of the idea's that we are already discussing.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

given the fact that several bootique manufacturers are incurring delays when it comes to delivering games they announced/released months ago, heres a title with a built-in catch phrase to help remind people of their latest release.[quoted image]

Or "I know what you DIDN"T do last summer" hee hee

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

That sounds like a perfect theme, will all those elements involved.
    Interestingly, you nailed a few of the idea's that we are already discussing.

I have my dream layout in my head. It was a cross between Attack From Mars, Twilight Zone, and Congo; however now with the release of Iron Maiden it's more like a cross between Iron Maiden and Attack From Mars. Iron Maiden basically combined the items I wanted from Congo and Twilight Zone. Oh, there is also a set of in-line drop targets in there too. They are incorporated in a fun way and can serve as an add-a-ball. Basically the "piano shot" from Twilight Zone feeds a scoop and you have to knock down the in-line drop targets to free that ball. I just think that's a very fair way of earning a multiball.

#71 5 years ago

Tough call.. I love the horror genre. But for a pin....hummm

I'll admit that I love my Alien pin. I'm also willing to admit that it has some oddities, but as a whole package it is the most immersive pin I've ever played. So, I can and do enjoy a more serious/dark game..

But, if I had to decide between a dark vs lighthearted, I think I might pick lighthearted. Something like Evil Dead/Army of Darkness.

#72 5 years ago

BTW op..

I recall a awesome TAF mod that you were doing. (anyone can check his past posts to see)

What have you done to it since? if anything..maybe start a thread on where you are now?

Sry for a derail here. Just that this guy did a amazing job.

#73 5 years ago

if done properly, could be very cool but would be very difficult to capture in a pinball machine. the best part of lovecraft's novels were the fact that he alluded to many horrors and secondary eyewitness accounts, but most of the stuff that revolved around "the old ones" (the c'thulhu mythos) were never seen (or described) first hand in the stories

something in the vein of the old warren magazines (uncle creepy, cousin eerie and vampirella) could be kind of neat. short story type modes with narrative lead-in and completion videos and really dark, but campy cartoon animations as the player progresses through each mode

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if done properly, could be very cool but would be very difficult to capture in a pinball machine. the best part of lovecraft's novels were the fact that he alluded to many horrors and secondary eyewitness accounts, but many were never seen (or described) first hand in the stories

I think that's why I like the Arkham Horror take on it. It's very real for the "investigators", but then at the same time perhaps allude to it all being in their minds. Are these things really happening or are they just going insane. Perhaps all along they were just patients in the asylum.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

BTW op..
    I recall a awesome TAF mod that you were doing. (anyone can check his past posts to see)
    What have you done to it since? if anything..maybe start a thread on where you are now?
    Sry for a derail here. Just that this guy did a amazing job.

Shortly after introducing the idea at expo about 7 years ago... my now ex wife left with everything, including my prototype pin and all my money. The best laid plans of mice and men.

I will say this though, the experience taught me much about how to go about an ambitious pin project. Licensing, development, bringing people on board to do that which I couldn't. Was a very good learning experience.

I am now very happily remarried and am in process of selling my current business. This will free up capital and most importantly TIME to develop a game from scratch. Even if I only make one, it is a dream that I want to see realized.

Hope that explains it

#76 5 years ago

Greasy Strangler? haha. At least it would have a cool soundtrack.

How bout a Little Shop of Horrors with a ball eating plant?

I think an Anything But Trouble pin could actually be good.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Greasy Strangler? haha. At least it would have a cool soundtrack.
    How bout a Little Shop of Horrors with a ball eating plant?
    I think an Anything But Trouble pin could actually be good.

I actually had LSOH cross my mind. Feasting plant and all. "Feed me Seymour!"

#78 5 years ago

It has been mentioned several times here, but I also dream of an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness/Ash game.. The original Evil Dead has the definite creepiness and the following movies have some GREAT humor and one liners that would work great as call outs. It could be an amazing game theme.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

It has been mentioned several times here, but I also dream of an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness/Ash game.. The original Evil Dead has the definite creepiness and the following movies have some GREAT humor and one liners that would work great as call outs. It could be an amazing game theme.

Not familiar with some of these. Will have to watch, which will be cool considering we are stuck inside with this crap winter weather we have been having

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jsampel:

Personally I would love a “IT” game. 2 more movies to come out so who knows. Also a Friday the 13th would be great!

Think only one more.....for 2 total An It game would be cool!!

#81 5 years ago

Killer Klowns from outer space.

Killer-Klowns (resized).jpgKiller-Klowns (resized).jpg
    #82 5 years ago

I prefer the classics....War of the Worlds, Time Machine, Harryhausen stuff....

7th voyage fight c (resized).jpg7th voyage fight c (resized).jpgWar of the Worlds (resized).jpgWar of the Worlds (resized).jpg
    #83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Kinda like Human Centipede... creepy and f**ked up but not a good pin title.
    I wouldn't be able to look at the dudes ugly mug staring at me or in my game room period (Svengoolie) lol

Wait..yes it would...magnetized balls stuck end to end...mwahahah

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Wait..yes it would...magnetized balls stuck end to end...mwahahah

lol... That's just messed up

#85 5 years ago

As creepy as pinball can get.

john-trudeau-featured (resized).jpgjohn-trudeau-featured (resized).jpg

#86 5 years ago
    5b6c005b5bafe393b359b8c2 (resized).jpg5b6c005b5bafe393b359b8c2 (resized).jpgReturn-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Free-Download-11 (resized).jpgReturn-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Free-Download-11 (resized).jpgheader (resized).jpgheader (resized).jpg
    #87 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

As creepy as pinball can get.
    [quoted image]

Come on, really Vid?

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Come on, really Vid?

He'll be available again for game design in August of 2020.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I’ve been to the opening night of every Fri the 13th flick since 1980. That would be a great title too.

I think this would be a very workable title

#90 5 years ago

Aliens!!! We need a real company to make the game like JJ or Stern. Not a liar and thief like Andrew!!!

Also IT would be cool and also Evil Dead!!!

#91 5 years ago
    bd60f141194023.580e5eabdcf02 (resized).jpgbd60f141194023.580e5eabdcf02 (resized).jpg
    #92 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

He'll be available again for game design in August of 2020.

Deep Root will take him.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

I think SAW would make a good pin. All the traps would make some really cool toys. I also agree with a Friday the 13th pin that would be pretty cool.

You have to stick your hands in the cabinet, and if you don’t hit the wizard mode in time to beat Jigsaw you get your hands cut off

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from wfumed2:

[quoted image]

Hmmm .. very intriguing.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You have to stick your hands in the cabinet, and if you don’t hit the wizard mode in time to beat Jigsaw you get your hands cut off

That's a great idea in theory. But the replay value would be very small

#96 5 years ago

I wish ACNC would have been Uncle Creepy and Cousin Ernies Creepy Castle.

b6e2742494e723c98ae71cf2fc339990--cardboard-mask-horror-comics (resized).jpgb6e2742494e723c98ae71cf2fc339990--cardboard-mask-horror-comics (resized).jpg
    #97 5 years ago

Creep show might be a good pin.

#98 5 years ago

Zombieland could fit both categories.

Trailer:

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

Creep show might be a good pin.

Ahhh, creep show was great. Saw it in the theatre as a young buck. Lots of material there!

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Zombieland could fit both categories.
    Trailer:

That was a really fun but creepy movie. Good call.

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-which-type-of-spooky-them-would-you-prefer-in-a-new-title/page/2?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.