(Topic ID: 237922)

Poll: When you want to purchase a new pin, what do you do?

By Sidekick74

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mollyspub
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When you want to buy a new pin, what do you do?”

• Sell existing pin in my collection 22 votes
      28%
    • Purchase show pin at a discount 2 votes
      3%
    • Purchase New in Box (I've got the money) 12 votes
      15%
    • Save and purchase pin (new or used) 34 votes
      44%
    • Other 8 votes
      10%

(78 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Curious to know the most common answer.

#2 5 years ago

I’m limited on pin funds, also limited on space. If I want a new pin, one has to go. Only room for 5 at the house

#3 5 years ago

Same here.

I lean more of a show pin at a discount or purchase 'used' pin after the kinks are worked out. I've purchased two high-end pins and end up being waaaaaay too anal and upset when things would break after setting the machine up (i.e. bad cable).

2019 is a tough year....so many rumored pins that are ideal themes (Superman, Toy Story, Elvira, Magic Girl, Jaws, Harry Potter???)

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I’m limited on pin funds, also limited on space. If I want a new pin, one has to go. Only room for 5 at the house

Bingo. Same boat for me, even same number of pins that I have space for.

#5 5 years ago

Our Pinny room is full. If we want a new game we have to sell one to buy one. Pinball fund is depleted too. All games are really expensive nowdays so it takes us a long time to save up for a new game.

#6 5 years ago

pinballaddicted For your current pins, do you think you can sell and get a wanted pin without having to dish out more $'s?

For me, I've got a WOZ RR and Stern POTC. If Stern would to release Superman 78, I guess Stern POTC would go at a price of $5,000. WOZ RR is a keeper.

Tim

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sidekick74:

pinballaddicted For your current pins, do you think you can sell and get a wanted pin without having to dish out more $'s?
    For me, I've got a WOZ RR and Stern POTC. If Stern would to release Superman 78, I guess Stern POTC would go at a price of $5,000. WOZ RR is a keeper.
    Tim

Hey Tim, we live in Australia so the markets are a little different. Next game for us to buy will probably be Elvira 3 and we will probably sell SW to do it. We will have to make up a difference, probably $3K. Not many games are safe at our place, if we do not play them we sell them and get something different.

Our keepers are TWDLE, AFMr and ACDC Luci

Cheers

Con

#8 5 years ago

My issue is space too. Best line up here in a decade. If something new comes in, something has to go.

Yet I want to keep my pricing mix I have right now. 1 25¢ pin, 5 50¢ pins, 4 75¢ pins, 12 $1 pins. ( the 75¢ and $1 pins give more games for more money ). To cater to all age groups and budgets.

Going to be a challenge this year.

LTG : )

#9 5 years ago

Going to be hard to wait until October to figure out which pin to purchase. I was born in 1974 so Superman would be #1 for me. Now, selling Stern POTC for Superman Pro be worth it? Probably. One pin that would be interesting would be Voltron. I actually enjoyed this show as a kid. He-man would be cool and obviously Harry Potter.

#10 5 years ago

Space is the issue for me as well.

#11 5 years ago

Limited to 3 at my place. So yes one would have to go.

#12 5 years ago

All depends. I;m pretty full, but have a couple folded up so why not a few more? At some point the parents basement will be calling me.

#13 5 years ago

Can you add, outta space, so buy bigger home or add monster shed on property as an option?

#14 5 years ago

I haven't gone there yet, but I know a fair number of people that have storage units or cargo containers for overflow for all their games and parts. Mostly on the arcade side, but most of them have pinball machines too.

#15 5 years ago

I take a cold shower and hope the sickness goes away.

#16 5 years ago

Im not a big proponet of buying new pins. They just fall too far in value too quick.

I would either recommend buying after they have been out a year (and full depreciation has set in), or buying a show pin at a discount.

Of course, if space is an issue...or if you are getting tired of one...selling a pin first would be the answer.

Buying a new pin would be an absolute LAST OPTION to me. If you are personally wealthy, however, i guess it wouldn't matter.

#17 5 years ago

I trade out HUO games for show or HUO games of solid, proven titles. You can actually do this forever with adding very little cash, if any, into the mix. You have to be patient and have a good group of friends and people you know to trade with, which makes it even better

#18 5 years ago

Try and convince myself not to !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-when-you-want-to-purchase-a-new-pin-what-do-you-do?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.