(Topic ID: 227670)

Poll - What's the most iconic / classic machine

By PhilGreg

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll - What's the most "classic" pinball machine”

• Medieval Madness 12 votes
      11%
    • AC-DC 1 vote
      1%
    • Addams Family 34 votes
      31%
    • Attack From Mars 6 votes
      6%
    • Black Knight 4 votes
      4%
    • Capt. Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy 4 votes
      4%
    • Centigrade 37 0 votes
    • Eight Ball 3 votes
      3%
    • Fathom 0 votes
    • Fireball 4 votes
      4%
    • FunHouse 4 votes
      4%
    • High Speed 1 vote
      1%
    • King of Diamonds 0 votes
    • Metallica 0 votes
    • Pinbot 4 votes
      4%
    • Space Shuttle 2 votes
      2%
    • Taxi 3 votes
      3%
    • Theatre of Magic 0 votes
    • Joker Poker 2 votes
      2%
    • Quick Draw 3 votes
      3%
    • Twilight Zone 10 votes
      9%
    • Fish Tales 2 votes
      2%
    • Eight Ball Deluxe 8 votes
      7%
    • Royal Flush 1 vote
      1%

(108 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

I've done a quick search and haven't seen such a topic, so sorry if this is something that's already been done.
    Now we have the top 100 for the best all around pinball machines, but I'd be interested in seeing what peoples' opinions are on what the most classic pinball machine is.
    What I'm saying is, if there was only one machine that was to be preserved in some time capsule to be open hundreds of years from now as the most representative machine of what pinball was all about, what would it be?
    I guess you could also say most iconic.

I'm sure I forgot some in the poll, I'll update it as it goes.

#2 5 years ago

Gottlieb Quick Draw

#4 5 years ago

I vote for Space Shuttle - Great Backglass, Good Gameplay, Historical, etc. Even though I don't currently own one Space Shuttle is one on my favorite all around machines. A theme everyone can relate to, game play that is simple enough for even non pinball people to enjoy, and a great looking mirrored backglass. What more could you ask for in a "classic" machine.

#5 5 years ago

Twilight Zone

#7 5 years ago

Apart from your list I would have said Fish Tales as it seems everyone either HAS, WANTS or WANTS ONE AGAIN.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

Apart from your list I would have said Fish Tales as it seems everyone either HAS, WANTS or WANTS ONE AGAIN.

Added.

#9 5 years ago

What's the most?

#10 5 years ago

Sure EBD should get a mention...unless Eight Ball is what the list means

#11 5 years ago

I don't understand - besides adding in joke machines that is already occurring this is basically asking what pinball machine do you like the most.....

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Sure EBD should get a mention...unless Eight Ball is what the list means

Yes! Totally forgot about that one.
    Added.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I don't understand - besides adding in joke machines that is already occurring this is basically asking what pinball machine do you like the most.....

Pinbot's far from my favorite machine but I voted for it. Love DI but I don't think anybody would argue it is anywhere near a classic yet.
    I guess you could say "iconic" too.

#14 5 years ago

I think most "classic" would have to be an EM, most ordinary people would think of chimes when they think of pinball. In most movies, if a pinball machine makes an appearance, they will dub in EM pinball sounds, even if a SS machine is being played. Fireball probably has the most iconic pinball artwork, if you look at cartoons with pinball machines in them, the game invariably looks like Fireball.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

I think most "classic" would have to be an EM, most ordinary people would think of chimes when they think of pinball. In most movies, if a pinball machine makes an appearance, they will dub in EM pinball sounds, even if a SS machine is being played. Fireball probably has the most iconic pinball artwork, if you look at cartoons with pinball machines in them, the game invariably looks like Fireball.

Makes sense. I have a hard time see any DMDs besides MM and maybe Addams, but I think there's a few good SS candidates. I voted Pinbot but I could see Space Shuttle, EBD, Eight Ball. FunHouse too in the pre-DMD era.
    I'm sure I forgetting some valid EM candidates too...

#16 5 years ago

Gorgar Speaks

#17 5 years ago

Looks like I can't edit the poll anymore.
    I'll see if anything else pops up that stands a chance against whatever comes out on top in this list and if necessary I'll do a round two...

#18 5 years ago

I think it depends a lot on your age and what games you remember as a kid......

#19 5 years ago

TAF is iconic. For a good many years, it could be found just about everywhere.

For sounds, the chimes of an EM are almost instantly recognizable, and are still used in films & tv shows when pins appear on screen--even though what appears might actually be a solid state or DMD game.

#20 5 years ago

TAF. There is no 2nd.

#21 5 years ago

OK I guess I understand. If that's the case, it's the answer above. TAF. No doubt about it. Biggest seller by far.

#22 5 years ago

Vacation America!

#23 5 years ago

Black Hole and Circus come to mind.

#24 5 years ago

I guess there's two ways to look at it - I wasn't clear when I started the thread because I wasn't really clear about it in my head either...

1. What most represents a pinball machine to knowledgeable people and thus should be put in the time capsule -> it's looking like TAF's gonna win and I think that's a really good choice
    2. If you told the word "pinball" to the general public, what machine is the most likely to be close to what they had pictured in their head. I think solarvalue's explanation of why he went with Fireball fits that description too.

In both cases WackyBrakke's comment is valid too, that would probably be dependent on your age.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

If you told the word "pinball" to the general public, what machine is the most likely to be close to what they had pictured in their head.

Not necessarily a classic, but a lot of the general public might envision this:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#26 5 years ago

Capn Fantastic and here's why: If it's in a time capsule, then one can only assume that Man has been eliminated, either by the Zombie Apocalypse, or just your run of the mill Nuclear Apocalypse. If it's the latter, then any digital pin will have been a waste, because all of the electronics will have been fried by the EMP, just like all modern cars. So, EM it is.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Capn Fantastic and here's why: If it's in a time capsule, then one can only assume that Man has been eliminated, either by the Zombie Apocalypse, or just your run of the mill Nuclear Apocalypse. If it's the latter, then any digital pin will have been a waste, because all of the electronics will have been fried by the EMP, just like all modern cars. So, EM it is.

Good point! Reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman gets himself frozen so he doesn't have to wait for the Wii to come out but he gets thawed too far in the future and can't find a TV to plug it in

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Not necessarily a classic, but a lot of the general public might envision this:
    [quoted image]

Good point!
    Maybe Spooky should get the license and they'd have a hit! Actually I'm surprised nobody ever tried a custom build of it!

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

From Craigslist3000:
    "0 plays since 2020, was stored in a time capsule since then. I'm pretty sure this was working before we put it in there, but now it won't start. Probably just needs a fuse or something. Can't locate legs. Asking 4000 Bitcoin."

#30 5 years ago

When I think of classic pinball machines, Black Knight is the first that comes to mind. Pinbot is a close second.

#31 5 years ago

Fireball. Though the crowd that appreciated how radical the machine was when it came out is waning.
    Eight Ball. Every guy wanted to be playing this machine when the girls walked in.
    Wizard. Though play is wanting the word wizard and song/movie connection inherently Pinball.
    I still consider TAF, TZ and others of the period "Modern", not Classic in the truest sense.

#32 5 years ago

I would call Whirlwind a classic. Best system 11 game ever.

#33 5 years ago

Evel Knievel would reach a lot of old and new pinballers. Really it all comes down to the era you lived it.

#34 5 years ago

There you have it folks, the people have spoken.
    The Addams Family is the classic among classics, the most iconic pinball machine ever with 31% of the votes.
    Whoever owns an HEP version needs to pony it up for the time capsule - you can send it to me I'll take care of putting together said capsule when I have some free time.

Among machines from the pre-DMD era (from the limited selection I gave), EBD comes in first at 7%.

#35 5 years ago

Is TAF the classic or will TAFr be the classic? Not sure a time capsule of out dated tech (in either case) would be representative. The people of the future might think we were pretty stupid not using plasmatic expanding energy cell power for pinball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-s-the-most-classic-pinball-machine?hl=avh7401 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.