(Topic ID: 54162)

POLL: what machine should I write new rules for next?

By jamescardona

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“what machine should I write new rules for next?”

• no good gofers 77 votes
    18%
  • theatere of magic 64 votes
    15%
  • tales of arabian nights 87 votes
    20%
  • terminator 2 92 votes
    22%
  • dr who 30 votes
    7%
  • getaway high speed 2 38 votes
    9%
  • other 38 votes
    9%

(426 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0046.JPG
100_0046.JPG
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 10 years ago

This is amazing news! I am so psyched! NGG is so fast and fun to shoot. A deeper rule set could really put this one near the top!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

#152 10 years ago

Any way of working in a "Beer Cart Bonanza" multiball or mode where the flippers are reversed? I'd love it if more games had reversed flippers as a mode. I think we got TSPP and CCC now with reversed flipper modes.

Thanks so much for doing this!!

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

I think I would have done TOTAN if I could have found one but the prices are getting ridiculous. I was actually considering Dr Who first but the poll helped eliminate it. I went to the last A-Town show intent on buying a T2 because of this poll but couldn't find one in the shape that was up to my standards. So I am starting with NGG. T2 or TOTAN may be next. Sorry if I was misleading on the poll - I was just shooting for a feel of the community.

Gotcha.

Ill wait patiently.

#154 10 years ago

Question: where does one go to buy a shaker motor, harness, etc for this sort of development?

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Question: where does one go to buy a shaker motor, harness, etc for this sort of development?

Ahhh... the million dollar question. I am planning on making one - more info to follow. By the way, wait until you see the new mechanism I am designing for NGG.

#156 10 years ago

The BOSS gopher?

#157 10 years ago

NGG is a respectfulchoice but pretty please do T2 next after NGG. There are thousands of us who would be in your debt.
Most of all, thank you for putting the time in to doing this.
Cheers!

#158 10 years ago

Ahhh... the million dollar question. I am planning on making one - more info to follow. By the way, wait until you see the new mechanism I am designing for NGG.

Dastardly tease, I say!
Spill it! (please)

#159 10 years ago

The Getaway might be an interesting project to see what could be added to enhance to this already enjoyable game.

1 week later
#160 10 years ago

If you do T2, is there a way to disable that annoying thump sound in attract mode that appears every couple minutes even if you have the attract sound off? Or has anyone else found a solution to this?

#161 10 years ago

So is the Demolition Man code when done just get burnt to new EPROMs and plug in and go?
Or is there more to it than that?

#162 10 years ago

Just got a replacement ROM burner.....hurrah!

What is the target file size / ROM size needed for the rule re-do ?
I want to make sure I have some or get them ordered when testing rolls around.

#163 10 years ago

I think I would have done TOTAN if I could have found one but the prices are getting ridiculous. I was actually considering Dr Who first but the poll helped eliminate it. I went to the last A-Town show intent on buying a T2 because of this poll but couldn't find one in the shape that was up to my standards. So I am starting with NGG. T2 or TOTAN may be next. Sorry if I was misleading on the poll - I was just shooting for a feel of the community.

This is great news !!

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from laryans:

. Also add another video mode where you are the kid on the bike trying to avoid semis from crushing you in the LA River.

AWESOME IDEA!!!!

#165 10 years ago

T2 gets my vote as others have said good layout and fast just rules are unbalanced and shallow. plus so much potential with the theme

#166 10 years ago

Awesome that you are going to do NGG first, it needs it the most because of the bugs, the new rules will be icing on the cake!!

I'm surprised about all the votes for T2, always thought it had a pretty good ruleset, but I'm not as much into ultra deep games as a lot of people are.

#167 10 years ago

unlike CCC or other proc code reworks, with freewpc all you need is to swap the rom chip. For the DM code that I wrote I exceeded the size of the rom though, so you will need a 27c080 size chip which is twice as large in bytes as the original rom. that might give an indication of how much more code is in there. to go to a bigger chip does not require anything more than a rom swap. you do not have to switch jumpers or anything else. unfortunately a 27c080 is the largest chip that the wpc will accept or else I would have even put more code in there but at the moment, for the DM code I am writing, the chip is about 98% full.
Jim

2 weeks later
#168 10 years ago

T2 on top....lets hope for some new rules in the next year or so....

#169 10 years ago

T2 for sure , the ruleset is lacking and the theme , cannon and layout are fantastic. consider production of this machine is a lot (#2 I think after Addams family ) and since this a more affordable game, maybe more people would do it to there machines

#171 10 years ago

NGG. Awesome. Getting my game on Friday. ON a side note you might want to talk to JoeJet for a nice T2 for sale.

#172 10 years ago

Is this question still valid?

I for one would like HS2, it's super shallow, but a fun fast game, that doesn't cost too much, a large number produced, so a lot of people could potentially benefit from it!

Anyway, just my cents

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Is this question still valid?
I for one would like HS2, it's super shallow, but a fun fast game, that doesn't cost too much, a large number produced, so a lot of people could potentially benefit from it!
Anyway, just my cents

To answer your question he's doing No Good Gofers.

#174 10 years ago

Just saw this thread get updated...as it is, I am getting a DM next week. How do I go about getting the updated ROM? I've never even played DM before but am getting this pin in a multi-pin trade. Should I go ahead and buy the updated ROM before I even take possession? If so, I need to go ahead and purchase soon.

Thanks.

Darin

#175 10 years ago

One more thing...

Is there a thread or info related to the DM ROM changes?

#176 10 years ago

Hey Jim. Would you mind starting a NGG progress report thread when you have something to report?
Thanks!

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

If you do T2, is there a way to disable that annoying thump sound in attract mode that appears every couple minutes even if you have the attract sound off? Or has anyone else found a solution to this?

This is already fixed in version 8.1
Version 8.2 has the game over sections re-arranged to show the "just played" score more often.
If you need a copy send me an e-mail.... inkochnito @ kpnplanet dot nl.

Peter

#178 10 years ago

Dissapointed in NGG....

T2 has so many fans, and the pin is fantastic, and if it gets CCC quality code it can be one of the best pins.

#179 10 years ago

Does the DM have attract mode?

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

One more thing...
Is there a thread or info related to the DM ROM changes?

no - this was all done through email with beta testers. That is the way they wanted it and I think a good idea to keep the trolls out. Once I release I have a few files that list a full comparison to the original game etc.

#181 10 years ago

Man I am kinda new to pinside, I got so excited about this and making my demo man new. Oh well I guess I will get on the NGG list if possible. Let me know what I have to do. Thanks.

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What about the early 90's DE games? I haven't looked to see the cpu/chip type they use though.

I took a different approach at rules updating. I did Data East Star Wars and it was officially released by Stern. I am currently working on Jurassic Park. Hoping to get official buy in from Stern again. Check my thread if you want to follow along:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-rules

#183 10 years ago

I'm also hoping for T2. It's a great game the way it is but some changes would be awesome! Like someone else said, the production numbers are so high I think a ton of people would be after this!

#185 10 years ago

I'm rather biased as it's my only pin, but I'd heartily vote JD. I'd pay a pretty penny for some shiny new rules. Heck, I'd even make you a mean batch of tacos. There's a lot to work with, and a few things that were overlooked originally - functionless inlanes, unstackable modes, and no real goal during the wizard mode, for example. Tacos, I tells ya. Delicious, delicious tacos.

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The Getaway might be an interesting project to see what could be added to enhance to this already enjoyable game.

The Getaway really only needs the "multiball bug" fixed.

It would be great to have that fixed, so we can run the latest code version, L-5. Not asking for more rules, but just that 1 thing fixed. I run L-3 just because of this bug.

Not sure how long that would take, but it has to be less than adding more rules.

Maybe "pinball_keefer" could help with a suggestion on how to fix the never ending multiball bug he calls: "An unlisted bug is "GAME RESTART WORKS,".

Keefer explains the bug like this (and his entire response is in the link below): "At any rate, the bug is that because the car-starting noises play when you push the button in, the game doesn't start until the button is RELEASED. The standard game start logic checks to see if the button is held in, which obviously it can never be, so Game Restart=SLOW will never work."

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-is-in-the-house-multiball-bug

So perhaps if you just changed the start button logic, the bug would be eliminated.

Robert

#187 10 years ago

I have simple requests for the following games:

1) The Shadow:
A limit to the left loop inner loop combo that optionally:
a) is set to a max amt.
b) can only be increased with sequential loops as compared to staying put through the entire game
c) resets at the start of each ball.

2) Johnny Mnemonic:
Spinner scoring from the shuriken star that is:
a) timed for a 15-20 seconds
b) reduced by a decimal point or three

Yeah I have more ideas for other games. I like the games you have listed so far also as JPop's

1 week later
#189 10 years ago

Can you clarify how you are approaching the original animations on NGG? On your DM video, I did not notice any of the original animations (though I am only mildly familiar with the game). Mostly what I saw was FMV with sparse new animations and a lot of text with little to no associated graphics/animations. I really hope you plan to preserve the original animations and complement them with your original ideas.

#190 10 years ago

the WMS stance is that we cannot use any of their code so to avoid harassment over this issue FREEWPC rewrites all of the code from scratch. Unfortunately the animations and fonts are included on that chip also. The sound is not. Therefore, we leave the original sound chips and use those sounds - no problem. We have to change all the animations and fonts though. What I did with DM was try to pick a font that was close. You are correct that all my animations are different.

I have only briefly gone through the animation screens on NGG - I will make some attempt at drawing the gofers. If you know of any artists who are willing to work on this with me then that would be very cool.

#191 10 years ago

So how did CCC get done? I can't recall for sure if the animations were copied or redrawn, but they are the original animations. Is PROC software immune to such legal harrassment?
No matter how amazing the rules might turn out, if the animation turns out sparse or lifeless, it would not be a worthwhile endeavor IMHO. "Some attempt" at drawing the gofers is not a promising starting point.
I really admire your technical abilities and dedication, but rewriting a fun, clever, humorous, cartoony theme may not be the best use of your talents. Again, this is strickly IMO and many or all of the other NGG owners could disagree with me on this issue. I am just disappointed as I was very excited about new rules, shaker, and "gasp" a BOSS GOFER

Best of luck

Post edited by alveolus : more humility needed

#192 10 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

This is already fixed in version 8.1
Version 8.2 has the game over sections re-arranged to show the "just played" score more often.
If you need a copy send me an e-mail.... inkochnito @ kpnplanet dot nl.
Peter

Thanks for the offer inkochnito! Since I wrote that post, I was able to find 8.1 from another Pinside member. It's one of the best mods I've done to my T2. If jamescardona writes new code for T2, I hope he incorporates that feature. Listening to that "bam bam" all day gets annoying.

#193 10 years ago

HS2 would be my pick, could use more and better animations, and it needs a shaker motor for sure.

#194 10 years ago

the WMS stance is that we cannot use any of their code so to avoid harassment over this issue FREEWPC rewrites all of the code from scratch.

This really screws the possibility of most WMS games getting a little tweaking to make it more enjoyable or to fix a minor bug!

Robert

#195 10 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

HS2 would be my pick, could use more and better animations, and it needs a shaker motor for sure.

You can wire in shaker motor w/o any s/w modifications...you would just need to decide how it is to be activated...lights, flashers or supercharger...etc.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-a-stern-shaker-motor-in-a-williams-bally-game-dr-who

Robert

3 years later
#196 7 years ago

So what happened here? T2 won the poll and you wrote another game instead? I thought maybe the reason T2 wasnt getting color DMD treatment was due to some insider knowledge that maybe there was going to be new code.

No I think its still just because T2 has VERY minimal DMD animations.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 21.95
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 72.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-machine-should-i-write-new-rules-for-next/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.