(Topic ID: 54162)

POLL: what machine should I write new rules for next?

By jamescardona

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“what machine should I write new rules for next?”

• no good gofers 77 votes
    18%
  • theatere of magic 64 votes
    15%
  • tales of arabian nights 87 votes
    20%
  • terminator 2 92 votes
    22%
  • dr who 30 votes
    7%
  • getaway high speed 2 38 votes
    9%
  • other 38 votes
    9%

(426 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0046.JPG
100_0046.JPG
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Getting wicked close to finishing the new rules for DM. Should be released to the masses sometime this summer. Meanwhile I need to decide on which machine to do next as perhaps I may need to buy the machine if I don't have it. Machines I would like to do are ones in which it has a good playing playfield, nice flow etc, but rules are either shallow or buggy or both. Whatever machine I do will have shaker motor support added. Also I am thinking to make option of 3 ball games like into a 5 or 6 ball game. Machines I have in mind are:

NGG
TOM
TOTAN
T2
Dr Who
Getaway HS2

reasons why would be nice

#2 10 years ago

I would go with TOTAN (I own it) since lack of depth seems to be the biggest gripe that people have with it. Here is an old thread seeking advice on how to improve the ruleset.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-is-%e2%80%9coverrated-and-too-easy%e2%80%9d-so-how-would-you-have-programmed-it

My suggestions were:
1. Make Harem multiball easier to get (maybe two letters awarded when hitting the left orbit while in lightning lamp?) and add it as one of the Bazaar awards. I find it easier to beat the genie than to get Harem multiball.

2. Enable a setting to disable jewel wishes or require two/three wishes to get a jewel.

3. Require more than one hit (at least 5?) to the orbs before being able to collect the cyclops jewel.

4. Require more than hit (at least 10?) to the pops before being able to collect the sinbad jewel.

5. Successfully throw a fireball at the genie in order to light start tale.

#3 10 years ago

I can't think of any rules at this point, but making the gophers ruder would be funny. Maybe fix the light shows too. Add some sort of second wizard mode for the 18th hole? Maybe sneak in some Caddyshack quotes.

#4 10 years ago

NGG is the clear winner!

Great layout, timeless theme, only lacking in overall ruleset and the buggy stuff.

A few small tweaks could make it a keeper for many.

#5 10 years ago

Oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do Gofers!

Very appealing layout with the interactive gophers that people just love to smash! There is such a wide variety of shots to get creative with! (captive ball, ramps, hole with kickout to the pops, slam ramp, stand ups, wheel awards, loops, gophers up, gophers down, gophers down with ramps up, drives, sand traps...)

The "roadblock" multiball really detracts from the chance to get through the holes.

...Besides, who wouldn't want to tweak an already great Lawlor layout!?!

Thank you.

#6 10 years ago

yeah, know what you are saying about NGG. Has several scoring bugs and other bugs too. I have hit the jackpot shot several times and it registers by saying jackpot and giving lights but no score. Also if you have lock lit and the ramp falls down for some mechanical reason the game never puts it back up - very irritating. Agreed - great layout but rules could be much better. I would love to through in some caddyshack stuff but unfortunately there is no way to add sounds at this time - only rules and video can be changed.

#7 10 years ago

TOTAN I would love to do - only barrier is finding one at a reasonable price. seems like there are so few out there any more.

#8 10 years ago

Yes I am alone on this. Dwho could be epic. NGG with a little callout work could be amazing as well.

#9 10 years ago

Though it is not on your list at this point, I think that Wheel of Fortune would benefit greatly from a new set of rules. WOF has inserts on the playfield that do not light.

Another game that could be greatly improved with very minor tweeks would be Gilligans Island. Balance scoring a little bit and add an earned multiball.

I applaud you for improving games that already exist. For the record, I do not own either of the above games.

Best regards,

Tom

Edit: WOF game code is so bad, that completing it would be EPIC. IMHO, you could increase the value of every WOF by at least $500.

#10 10 years ago

I don't even own NGG and I want you to do it. Opportunity to make a good game great.

Chris

#11 10 years ago

How about Bride of Pinbot using a DMD?

#12 10 years ago

I have TOTAN. To bad you are not in Colorado. I would loan it to you. And you loan me Iron Man. Oh well good luck . Keep me in your loop. 100_0046.JPG100_0046.JPG

#13 10 years ago

I think totan needs it the most because it is a fantastic looking machine that needs an updated rule set to match.

#14 10 years ago

cannot do stern games with freewpc at this point - I am only doing bally/williams/midway machines.

#15 10 years ago

I thought about gilligans island since that game basically has no rules at all but not sure how well it would be received. I mean if I redid T2 that would potentially benefit a few thousand people - GI - probably 10 or 20 might get excited.

#16 10 years ago
#17 10 years ago

TOTAN software is unique and pretty good.

I'd say theater of magic. It has a horrible not even multiball wizard mode. The trunk needs work (shuts itself off too easily when it should just try again). The hocus pocus magnets fail often and there's no ball saver like when the cages fail on TOTAN. If you can get this to the point where it plays now or even help me get it there is be happy to do some of the software work on it.

#18 10 years ago

totan great game, if you could add another wizard mode, or more like cv, would be even better.. not sure you could even save tom

#19 10 years ago

If you think of doing a pre-DMD game, I'd hope for F-14. Very shallow rules that wouldn't be hard to change up, so you work the field better and lock balls in different ways. Top tomcat targets for one ball, lower ones for second.....

#20 10 years ago
#21 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

TOTAN software is unique and pretty good.
I'd say theater of magic. It has a horrible not even multiball wizard mode. The trunk needs work (shuts itself off too easily when it should just try again). The hocus pocus magnets fail often and there's no ball saver like when the cages fail on TOTAN. If you can get this to the point where it plays now or even help me get it there is be happy to do some of the software work on it.

Yesss! ToM has pretty crappy rules and the ball save on magnets is crap!

#22 10 years ago

theatre needs multiball for grand finale.....

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

NGG is the clear winner!

Iv actually never played, although I played a golf game 2 years ago at MGC but it may have been teed off. Cant remember.

I do want a NGG someday...Theme is killer

#24 10 years ago

Can't go wrong with any of the top three - NGG, TOM, or TOTAN would all be good choices.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

How about Bride of Pinbot using a DMD?

http://www.dutchpinball.com/

#26 10 years ago

I would say gophers number 1 or theater of magic number 2.

#27 10 years ago

Another vote for No Good Gofers here. I think the game is ripe for some updated rules. There's a few minor scoring bugs that can be ironed out in it. And I really think a different/better wizard mode after 18 holes would liven it up a ton.

Depending on how deep you'd be willing to get, I thought the different courses they put in could offer up different features. I believe now they cycle through a few course names and they don't change anything. What if each course played differently? For instance, short circuit takes place at hole 7 and 14. On some courses it could start at 4, or maybe not at all. Maybe the amount of drives it takes before being allowed to putt out changes based on the course. Seems to be a lot of different ways to differentiate the courses.

With that, you can either allow the player to choose which course they want to play before a game, or just have it cycle randomly/daily. Let it track the high score for each particular course too. Similar to how each song in AC/DC has it's own high score.

Those are just some thoughts. While there are other games with scoring issues that can be fixed, I think Gofers offers the best chance to really take the game to another level. More advanced scoring and a wizard mode worth getting to.

#28 10 years ago

ToM... fix the left loop all day strategy.

#29 10 years ago

I reckon TOTAN. I like the rules but it needs to be harder.

#30 10 years ago

Totan rules suck, the final is lame, the jewels are lame in allowing you to easily skip through to the final.

I wasn't aware ngg had rule issues, glad I know as I may not get one now.

What about MB? That machine is more less the layout of Lotr with the depth of a good EM.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

Getting wicked close to finishing the new rules for DM. Should be released to the masses sometime this summer. Meanwhile I need to decide on which machine to do next as perhaps I may need to buy the machine if I don't have it. Machines I would like to do are ones in which it has a good playing playfield, nice flow etc, but rules are either shallow or buggy or both. Whatever machine I do will have shaker motor support added. Also I am thinking to make option of 3 ball games like into a 5 or 6 ball game. Machines I have in mind are:
NGGTOMTOTANT2Dr WhoGetaway HS2
reasons why would be nice

Flash. Pharoah. Buck Rogers.

#32 10 years ago

HS2, if only so you can come up with a fix for the ramp lifting or not lifting when it should - so annoying.
It's also such a shallow game that after less than a week I wanted to get rid of it, nothing much has changed my mind since!

#34 10 years ago

Only thing NGG suffers from is shallow rule set.....+1 for the gophers. Could be awesome

#35 10 years ago

ToM could use a ton of enhanced rules.....especially the wizard mode

#36 10 years ago

Hollywood Heat, wait, nevermind, game is perfect.

#37 10 years ago

+1 for NGG, good game, could be a great game with tweaks.

#38 10 years ago

+1 TOTAN......but wouldn't mind NGG either

#39 10 years ago

Lawlor pins need some rule loving, badly... If you can add some great modern sound and great rules I'd love to have these themes.

RCT
Monopoly
Nascar
RBION fix the run away scoring bug

#40 10 years ago

I voted for T2, because I own one!

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

TOTAN I would love to do - only barrier is finding one at a reasonable price. seems like there are so few out there any more.

I'm in NJ and have a TOTAN I'd be willing to trade out while you work on the code. Any idea how long you would need the machine for?

#42 10 years ago

I contacted PinballDreams which was the company producing that, and they have closed the business.

I think rom swap custom rules for a DMD equipped BoP would be extremely popular, and it should work with freeWPC since it uses an early version of the WPC board.

My second choice would be T2, for no other reason than it would be the one pin from the list that I might buy someday.

#43 10 years ago

NGG as I own that one and it is very close to being epic. Maybe fix the bugs, add a few modes and an 18th hole wizard mode. Just don't dilute the frenzied mayhem that makes it such a blast!

#44 10 years ago

T2....make the game deeper. It seems to be all skull based and I get a little bored of it at times. Then I have a cocktail and Im back at it! Seriously though, a lot of people have T2, would be good for you financially and would serve a large base.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

NGG as I own that one and it is very close to being epic. Maybe fix the bugs, add a few modes and an 18th hole wizard mode. Just don't dilute the frenzied mayhem that makes it such a blast!

NGG +1, plus add the video mode that never made it

#46 10 years ago

Judge Dredd. One of the best layouts of all time honestly. Great shots. So many of them have no use or point tho without proper rules.

You can keep looping and hitting shots with the upper two flippers without coming to the lower playfield for good amounts of time and its all pointless really. Blackout ramp on upper is used one time in one mode for one shot.

There is so much more that can be added to the game rule wise alone. Not just modifying rules like the other games suggested n

#47 10 years ago

Oh and the wizard mode is boring as hell. Multiball and every crime scene shot is out for 10 million. No advancing or changing anything and no ending. So boring.

-Jim

#48 10 years ago

Is DM a P-ROC add-on mod? Or directly modded ROMs?

#49 10 years ago

I am working with the freewpc engine. It is an open source complete rewrite of all the rules for wpc chipset. All that is required is a rom swap. Since I have so much new rules and video I overfilled a 27c040 and you must then use a 27c080 chip which is twice as large. This is the largest size chip that the wpc cpu will support. There is no jumper change or any other change needed except just swapping the cpu rom chip. I expect them to sell in the $20 range or you could burn them yourself. I will be releasing the code for free.

#50 10 years ago

Yeah, I thought about JD too. I have only played it at the a-town shows so maybe 10-20 times over the years. That game always felt clunky to me. I felt like DM was everything that JD was supposed to be but wasn't and that is one of the reasons I went with DM first.

As far as the comments about T2, the game is so shallow and maybe that is why I never could get into it. With all the available footage from 3 different movies I know I could make that DMD sing. Additionally there are a lot of collector's out there with one so I think it would be much appreciated. Unfortunately the sound sux and that is something I cannot fix at this time (nothing wrong with the callouts etc, just not DCS).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 21.95
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 72.50
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-machine-should-i-write-new-rules-for-next and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.