(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 4 years ago

My buddy has the perfect solution for slide saves. He put Pingulp cup holders on both sides of his games. Leaves only about an inch between cup holders. Enough room for some nugging and a hard slap save but that’s about it.
    It’s also pretty easy to see where this discussion is going. The competitive players will always say it not cheating because it’s allowed in IFPA and the more casual players like myself will say it’s cheating. I would have never guessed it was allowed in tournaments until after about 5 season in league. Now I know it’s allowed but still feel it’s a cheating move so don’t do it often.

#201 4 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Slide saving probably would be cheating if it weren't for the fact that you send the tilt-bob flying by doing so. That's why the tilt-bob exists, to turn nudging into a fair part of pinball. It's a completely fair risk vs. reward element of the game.

Under this guideline wouldn't a death save follow the same rules???? What makes one legal and the other not legal?

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Picking it up is not accounted for in considering the game design........ what about the plumb bob and lift tilt mechs? I think that’s exactly what they were considering when the game was designed.
    Have you looked in a game? The one is for lifting the front of the cabinet, the other is for moving it around.[quoted image]

Kind of bad picture to use against a cheating or not cheating discussion. A lot of people would call the upside down tilt bob as cheating. With the bulk of the weight on top in stead of the bottom it reduces the amount of time it takes for the pendulum to stop swinging and the distance it will swing verse having the weight on the bottom.

bob (resized).jpgbob (resized).jpg
    #276 4 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

If death saves are by design then why do so many games put metal guides underneath the flippers? I'm pretty sure those are to try and prevent death saves (Though I could be wrong).

You are correct. They are called Biff bars. Or at least that's what I always thought they were called. They are put there to help stop death saves and bounce backs.
    If you look at Xenon where there is a post to be able to nudge a ball back into play similar to a death save. You will notice the Biff bars are placed different and the one on the left is much smaller.
    biff (resized).jpgbiff (resized).jpg

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

If the designers of pinball machines wanted to negate the slide save, they would engineer a solution. But since they haven't, by your own argument, it isn't cheating and within the spirit of the game.

Actually they did!!!
    Most EM and early SS pins had a SLAM tilt switch on the backside of the playfield for just that reason. To keep people from sliding the game to save a ball. If you slid the game it was game over! Why??? Because slide saves were not intended to be part of how the game was played. This is why I will always say it should be illegal and always believed it was. It’s only through the tilt warnings and de bounce that people can now get away with sliding the game and have a good chance of not tilting.
    To clarify I'm refereeing to a slide save as moving the feet more then an inch or two from original position not nudging from side to side.
    F313342D-E576-486D-93AA-22A3D92790FC (resized).jpegF313342D-E576-486D-93AA-22A3D92790FC (resized).jpeg

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So to follow the logic here - you're indicating that early designers HAD thought of this. Perfect. And they engineered a solution for it. PERFECT! ... then they removed it from subsequent designs.
    So doesn't this indicate that since they knew players would attempt a 'slide save' or similar motion, and they had engineered a solution to it, and further that they specifically (some might use the term "intentionally") chose *not* to implement it - that this proves that they were OK with this type of play? Or at least apathetic to it?
    I'm willing to bet that this solution started to limit earnings, and so it was removed.

I'm willing to bet that the removal of the slam tilts were just another part of cost cutting. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers never had a board meeting with people sitting around talking about how the effect of removing a tilt switch would alow people to start slide saving.

#358 4 years ago

So if it was engineered in a way to stop slide saving, then so be it. That's how I'll play it, but if it wasn't then I'll be more than happy to slide save it if necessary.
    The game is the judge!

Hey, since it's considered legal and possible to do now. I'm right there with ya. I'm not saying I won't do it. I'm saying I will always feel like I'm cheating when doing it.

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

This was not intended to stop slide saves. Per IPDB.org:
    Slam Tilt —
    Tilting the game so violently that it immediately stops all games in progress and reboots (EMs only go into game-over mode).
    Easily achieved by kicking the coin box or lifting the machine past horizontal. This type of behavior will also get you thrown out of an arcade and is considered very bad manners.
    This is not the same as a slide save.

Yes, only the EM's and a few SS would be game over. The others would tilt.
    There were three types of slam tilts.
    1: slam tilt on coin door. "Easily achieved by kicking the coin box "
    2: ball roll slam tilt on front side of cab. "lifting the machine past horizontal"
    3: lateral slam tilt on the bottom side of playfield. Was activated by shoving the game one side or the other. Same as a slide save that moves the game more then an inch or two.
    The IPDB only references to two of the three.

"Tilting the game so violently that it immediately stops all games in progress and reboots "
    And how do you tilt? By moving a game. And how do you do a slide save? By shoving the game to one side or the other or sometimes side to side.
    "This type of behavior will also get you thrown out of an arcade and is considered very bad manners."
    Correct. Any of the arcades I played at would have kicked you out for moving a game like in that Congo video no matter how much you tried to claim it was a slide save.

#366 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is completely incorrect. You can make whatever rules you want and it will still be recognized by the IFPA. Just needs to be open to anyone and scheduled 30 days in advance.

I do have a similar question for you. I see people hitting the sides of a pin when the ball is bouncing around the top of the outlanes.
    Is this legal to slap the side of a game during a tournament or league play?

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Slam tilts do nothing to stop slides, never have. Not even the ones under the playfield. You folks are really reaching hard for anything to lend validity to your argument.

Sort of correct. The other two Slam tilts have nothing to do with a slide save. And you won't find any document using the the words "slide save" But its exact function is to stop the game from being trusted from one side or the other when the ball is in play. Which is what? The same thing you are doing with a slide save.

#373 4 years ago

You know, you can always ask me at leagues.
    Yes, it's 100% legal. I do it on Guardians when it's coming down the right side. If you give it a slap at the right time, the ball comes off the guide and you can catch it on your right flipper. If you don't get it off the guide with a well timed slap, it normally hits the top of the sling and goes out of control.
    I would do it on BM66 too, but I have the tilt set too tight to get away with it on that game. So you're eating the top of the sling on both sides.

I know, but it's more fun listing things here and watching people get bent out of shape because some of us think some things should be illegal or not.
    Now if your done bugging me. I need to get back to practicing my slide save for next seasons league.

#386 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

PS...the cats wanted me to let all of the owners out there that have cats to please remove those toppers! That is a cats throne and NOT a place to place your memorabilia or light up toys!

My cat is the topper.

bad cats (resized).jpgbad cats (resized).jpg
    #475 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The only point worth discussing here is whether slide saves prevent collectors from offering up their games for competition. I’ve donated countless newer games to tournaments, and this never even crossed my mind. I’m more worried about whether the game is 100% and is going to be good for the tournament. If someone holds back a creampuff pin because they’re worried someone will hurt it, you’re better off as the TD going to someone else. IMHO.

I'll bite. I'm in the excessive slide saves should be illegal club. As I've stated before a slide save should not be more then an inch or two. We have used my place for over a dozen or so unsanctioned tournaments. Following same rules as league. And yes people slide my games. I do too. But my games are tight in the line up so you can only move so far before heads hit. (Which has happened once) I don't think sliding a game is going to cause damage to the cab joints but do know in a tight lineup you can damage the head. And like yourself I worry more about my games playing in top shape. Same way when I take my games to shows. Every single year one or more of my games have been used for tournaments by the show. I could care less about the games being slide or shaken roughly while playing. But I will still say when your sliding a game 6,8,10 inches across the floor this should be a DQ.

#478 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If I can do this skillfully enough not to tilt, I deserve to keep playing out that ball. Assuming there are no rules against the maneuver.
    (EDIT: I don’t think I’ve ever slid a game more than 2”, but this is a skill I want to learn for Pinburgh)

I'll rearrange it for you.
    "If you can slide a game within a two inch margin skillfully enough not to tilt, I deserve to keep playing out that ball."
    That I can agree with 100%. It's when players go out of this zone or across a foul line that should be a penalty. Just like many other games or sports. There should be a perimeter or foul line. But I'm just as guilty with shoving games across the line to save a ball. If it's others are doing it so will I. Doesn't change my belief that it should be penalized though.

#479 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

The tilts are tight enough that it’s virtually impossible. And they have rubber feet on the machines.
    I don’t think I’ve seen a slide save in five years of playing in that tournament.
    That’s not to say that it isn’t a valuable skill.

So you're saying Pinburgh agrees that it is legal but makes the games so you can't do it.
    Hmm, sounds to me like they are against slide saves also. Which is kind of funny because even though I'm vocally against slide saves I put carpet sliders on my games to make it easier to do a slide save. LOL

#635 4 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Jesus how has this thread not been thrown into the basement yet?

What is the difference between this thread and a LED or not to LED thread? None. It's just a pinball topic with different opinions.

#636 4 years ago

I'm trying to help you keep the thread alive.

Heres another one.[quoted image]

Actually, you are just trolling.

#638 4 years ago

Wait. What? ok. Time for me to stfu[quoted image]

Still trolling. LOL

The thread would have died long ago if it wasn't for the trolling by yourself and many others.
    Op made thread,
    Retaliation of the people begins.
    Someone will make a post that actually contributes to discussion for one side or the other.
    Op responds,
    4 or 5 troll/joke/pictures or just nonsense posts pop up after his response.
    Wash rinse repeat.

Seriously if you are so offended by ops opinion and 31% of the poll then why don't you just drain it. Maybe the 31% would like to discuss why they feel it should be illegal. I'll hate to brake it to ya but it's ok to have different opinions. We can still be friends.

#665 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In 50 years of playing pinball, I never once felt the need to move the game from the position it started during gameplay.
    As far as nudging, that is a given, but with my well polished skills, it isn't always necessary.
    Unlike some people I watch that just shake the game to shake the game.
    And I keep my tilt bobs tight and perfectly centered on all games.

Agreed. 45 years of playing on and off and up until a year and a half ago never slide a game to move a ball. Simply put, you couldn't on the older games. If you slide the game or even moved it hard enough to move legs from original position they were in it would tilt almost every time.

#675 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I actually won my league playoffs last night in part because of a well executed slide save on Munsters. I was on ball three and it was about to go straight down the middle. I managed to save it, albeit with a double tilt warning. After waiting for the tilt bob to calm down, I then proceeded to have a monster ball that won me the game.

I did the same thing and won my division in our league playoffs on the last game, last ball in 3rd place. Saved the ball with a slide save then went on to win the game beating all others players scored combined. This was just two weeks ago. But I still in the no camp.

#684 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I'm just pulling your chain a little.

Or sliding his chain a little.

#721 4 years ago

Fair enough. We'll now institute a new rule. Anyone with the handle arcademojo seen slide saving will receive an automatic 0 on the game. I'll go ahead and add that now.

I'm a relatively new TD, only holding 82 IFPA registered events in the last 3 years or so. I've spoke to tons of random bar patrons that walk in during events along with every new person that either joined, or considered joining our league.
    Not once in those 3 years and 82 events have I ever heard someone say...."I would join, but I saw that guy cheating the game by moving it around".
    As for your bullshit "cheating the game", I guess Sammy Sosa was just "cheating the game" when he was caught with a corked bat.
    You can drop the play on words because everyone sees through your shit.

Actually there have been a few people mention to me about some of the players sliding the game to save the ball not being right. And one person that has played in your tournaments. Do you really think new people are going to complain to you (the person that runs the league) heck I didn’t even complain when I first joined the league. And you know how much I like to complain.
    Here is a question for you. Does it show in the video you play at orientation about sliding the game being a legal move. Also have you stated it in your speech?

#725 4 years ago

The video I show before leagues addresses all the moves that are illegal, not moves that are legal.
    As for not expressing their concern to me, that's their own prerogative. If I have an issue with the way something is run, I'd be discussing my concerns with the person running it. I wouldn't be in the corner complaining behind their back.

Then maybe you should make sure to mention some things like these in orientation. I’ve been playing for 45 years and had to ask at league of it was legal. Same way with slapping the side of a cab. To anyone off the street or that never played in a league before would probably think it was illegal.
    Also of you followed the Friday night pinball chat that you are a member of. There is a statement in there about people sliding games during a tournament. Not behind your back at all. PS. Wasn’t me. LOL

#728 4 years ago

I had a very extensive response to your post written, but deleted it prior to posting. I feel this is a conversation better had offline.
    If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me though either the website "Contact Us" submission form, or through the official league email to voice your complaints.

You know I don’t use email. an extensive response???
    That’s it!!! <—throws hat in the ground. If you don’t see me at orientation that’s means I’m NOT coming!..............
    I’ll be there the first week though. Never make orientation. Gotta save my pinball money for parts.

#730 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I personally believe slide saving is and has always been a part of pinball and is part of the original intent by designers the same way that nudging is in my opinion. Both of these actions “move the goal posts”. If you nudge the game you are essentially moving the game as well. I mean the feet are smooth surfaces made of metal and promote sliding. I feel if it wasn’t the intent then we would have seen rubberized surfaces from the manufacturers preventing slide slaves.
    Now let me define what I mean by slide saving.
    I’m not talking about manhandling the game quickly and shoving it 6+” to one side with brute force and receiving a tilt warning but debounce prevents the full tilt from happening.
    What I am saying is slowly moving the front of the game using your strength in a slow smooth methodical way (gentle if you will) as to not upset the tilt bob causing a tilt. I learned how to slide the game this way so that straight down the middle balls could be hit with the tip of the flipper. I learned this when I was 10 years old and I promise you the stresses of doing this would never harm a game.
    There is a distinct difference to the above slides. So what should be allowed? Doesn’t really matter to me as I am not a competitive player and just enjoy pinball.

I’ll agree with most of your statement except for the part of always being a part of pinball. You simply couldn’t slide save a game that didn’t have tilt warnings. They would tilt on anything more then a nudge. Your closes thing was a strong slap save.

#737 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

1980 Bally frontier is where I learned to slide save with fairly tight tilts. No warnings on that game and if done incorrectly resulted in a tilt.

Quoted from Humph:

Same thing with my Williams Space Odyssey ca. 1976, so we are talking at least 43 years now in reference to always part of pinball.
    That's a pretty damn long time.

Ok, ok, Yeah I used to consider it a slide save on older games myself. Compared to what I see going on now I only consider it a juggling the tilt trough strong nudging. But I'll say I stand corrected. You could slide save a game without tilt warning to a small extent.

#739 4 years ago

0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    Even Homer is sliding.
    That cheater!!!

#755 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

I’m not sure but MORE then 6” seems like a lot.

Well they say 6 inches is the average slide for white males.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball?tu=arcademojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.