(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Explain the damage? ... really, are you that new to pinball?

Pretend I'm new and please explain it to me. I don't have an engineering degree.

I've death saved my Metallica on a carpet floor more times than you've probably hit the start button and there is absolutely no damage at all.

Quoted from razorsedge:

Besides, it is completeny not in the spirit of the game.

Who says? You?

Quoted from razorsedge:

I know right!
    Seems like now everybody kids themselves into thinking it is not cheating or an unfair advantage.
    Incredible!

It's not cheating because the accepted rules governing tournaments say it isn't cheating. You can slide save the game all day, but if it falls off the rubber feet, you get a big fat 0.

As for an unfair advantage, how do you come up with that conclusion? You're more than welcome to slide save the game if you choose.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Why not just glue something in between the flippers?
    Lol

You're seriously comparing moving a machine a few inches to taking off the glass, grabbing a tube of super glue and permanently altering the play field? Now you're just being ridiculous. It's like have a conversation with a 6 year old.

I'm still waiting for you to instill some wisdom on everyone as to the physical damage I've subjected my machine to all these years.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well there you go, buddy! We finally agree on something.

It was bound to happy sooner or later.

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I typically slide my games around into position in my basement but this thread has given me proper warning that 20+ years of doing this may have already caused immense damage to all my machines.

If you had an engineering degree like the OP you would have known that already. Geeez. Some people. /sarcasm

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Under this guideline wouldn't a death save follow the same rules???? What makes one legal and the other not legal?

A death save is done after the ball passes the outlane switch and is considered drained. A slide save occurs while the ball is still in play.

If a ball gets stuck in the outlane it is placed in the trough. If a ball gets stuck on the play field, it’s placed on the flippers or in the shooter lane.

Similar rationale.

#326 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

If it was easy to do they would surely exist I think, to prevent people cheating the game. Such a mechanism couldn't be devised -> grey area

Quoted from razorsedge:

... just because nobody could devise a mech to detect this form of undermining the game.

Wait, what? You're saying that no one could come up with a device to monitor lateral movement of a pinball machine? You're on drugs or something. Self driving cars, quantum computing, space stations, GPS, etc......and you're saying it's impossible? Hell, an accelerometer and a $30 Raspberry Pi should do the trick.

Maybe you should take a step back and see it from the alternative point of view in that no one has taken then 20 minutes to do it because there is no reason to do it.

#346 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Mincing terms there. What about the goal being moved side to side a few feet so that a poorly aimed puck goes into the goal when it would have ordinarily gone out? . Yep, cheating the game, not in the spirit of the game.

You're exactly right. They are called Marsh Pegs and were implemented by the NHL to keep the goal from moving. If the goal comes off the pegs, play is stopped.

If the designers of pinball machines wanted to negate the slide save, they would engineer a solution. But since they haven't, by your own argument, it isn't cheating and within the spirit of the game.

#354 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Actually they did!!!
    Most EM and early SS pins had a SLAM tilt switch on the backside of the playfield for just that reason. To keep people from sliding the game to save a ball. If you slid the game it was game over! Why??? Because slide saves were not intended to be part of how the game was played. This is why I will always say it should be illegal and always believed it was. It’s only through the tilt warnings and de bounce that people can now get away with sliding the game and have a good chance of not tilting.

So if it was engineered in a way to stop slide saving, then so be it. That's how I'll play it, but if it wasn't then I'll be more than happy to slide save it if necessary.

The game is the judge!

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I do have a similar question for you. I see people hitting the sides of a pin when the ball is bouncing around the top of the outlanes.
    Is this legal to slap the side of a game during a tournament or league play?

You can always ask me at leagues.....you know, since I'm the TD

Yes, it's 100% legal. I do it on Guardians when it's coming down the right side. If you give it a slap at the right time, the ball comes off the guide and you can catch it on your right flipper. If you don't get it off the guide with a well timed slap, it normally hits the top of the sling and goes out of control.

I would do it on BM66 too, but I have the tilt set too tight to get away with it on that game. So you're eating the top of the sling on both sides.

#378 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBubbles:

You can have an amazing sports car that's built for consistent red line racing...but does that mean you should do it?

Um, yes.

If not, I'd buy a Prius.

#410 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBubbles:

That's fair. I guess some people like to pay for expensive repairs. Whether it's cars or pins... or anything else. I prefer to take care of what I have, have it retain its value, have less maintenance, so I can buy even more cool stuff. But to each their own.

No worries. I prefer to play with my toys and enjoy them as opposed to worrying about resale value or potential repairs.

#436 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

And the probability that most on pinside whom might consider it as "cheating the game" and are into pinball "just for fun" would not even bother to look in a thread that appears to be a discussion about competitive pinball rules, would have to make each of those votes worth 3 for every 1... after balancing... so more like 50-50 then

That's one of the funniest things I've heard all week. I don't like the numbers I have, so I'll just come up with a reason to skew them so they fit my objective.

Stay out of my laboratory.

#515 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

It is a forum for sharing and discussing views. Not about converting the whole of a minority of thread polstersting (or majority of our actual players) into adopting something they believe is cheating.

Great method for enticing more everyday people (whom here at least seem to see sliding as cheating, and don't agree with it) to come along and enjoy pinball!

"Only cheaters need apply" ... is the message coming from alot of pinsiders in cyberspace....

I'm pretty sure everyone's issue with you is that you're acting like a real ass. You start a "poll" (and change the name later) asking about the classification of a slide save. People start giving their opinions and you continue tell everyone they are cheating....over and over again. You're a cheater. We think you're cheating. And on and on and on.

You think I'm a cheater and I think you're a troll, which is this case is actually against the rules, as opposed to slide saves which are legal.

Flaming, baiting, trolling or otherwise inflammatory comments: These are all slightly different actions that share one thing in common, they stir-up trouble. So please don’t post things that are angry or mean-spirited (flaming), challenge others into heated arguments (baiting/inflammatory comments), or hop from thread to thread typing provocative things (trolling). It’s a waste of your time, our time, and ultimately damages our community.

#610 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I find all manipulation of the game through nudging and sliding cheating the game.

I'm assuming that you're joking, especially since I looked at your Twitch channel and it took me an entire 60 seconds to find you shove a machine, taking a double danger.

#708 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

But I still in the no camp.

Fair enough. We'll now institute a new rule. Anyone with the handle arcademojo seen slide saving will receive an automatic 0 on the game. I'll go ahead and add that now.

Quoted from razorsedge:

What about what it could be? ... there is alot of missed opportunity, fact is plenty of people exclude themselves due to this kind of stuff. Especially locally, at least.

*I mean, wouldn't doubling that growth rate be desirable, if that were what happened by including everybody?

I'm a relatively new TD, only holding 82 IFPA registered events in the last 3 years or so. I've spoke to tons of random bar patrons that walk in during events along with every new person that either joined, or considered joining our league.

Not once in those 3 years and 82 events have I ever heard someone say...."I would join, but I saw that guy cheating the game by moving it around".

As for your bullshit "cheating the game", I guess Sammy Sosa was just "cheating the game" when he was caught with a corked bat.

You can drop the play on words because everyone sees through your shit.

#723 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Actually there have been a few people mention to me about some of the players sliding the game to save the ball not being right. And one person that has played in your tournaments. Do you really think new people are going to complain to you (the person that runs the league) heck I didn’t even complain when I first joined the league. And you know how much I like to complain.
    Here is a question for you. Does it show in the video you play at orientation about sliding the game being a legal move. Also have you stated it in your speech?

The video I show before leagues addresses all the moves that are illegal, not moves that are legal.

As for not expressing their concern to me, that's their own prerogative. If I have an issue with the way something is run, I'd be discussing my concerns with the person running it. I wouldn't be in the corner complaining behind their back.

#727 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Then maybe you should make sure to mention some things like these in orientation. I’ve been playing for 45 years and had to ask at league of it was legal. Same way with slapping the side of a cab. To anyone off the street or that never played in a league before would probably think it was illegal.
    Also of you followed the Friday night pinball chat that you are a member of. There is a statement in there about people sliding games during a tournament. Not behind your back at all. PS. Wasn’t me. LOL

I had a very extensive response to your post written, but deleted it prior to posting. I feel this is a conversation better had offline.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me though either the website "Contact Us" submission form, or through the official league email to voice your complaints.

#751 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Gonna slide save the shit out of Ghostbusters premium at league tonight. Hope it can handle more than six inches.

See if you can get it into the back of your truck before it tilts.

2 months later
    #773 4 years ago

Didn't this thread die?

We had to drag F-14 out of the way last night after a few slide saves on GB during leagues. I may or may not have contributed to it being partially sideways.

1 year later
    #792 2 years ago

The tilt is the judge. Just like the foul line in bowling, the boundaries in football and all the other games that employ some sort of device or person that monitors what is legal and what isn't legal.

If the tilt is loose enough that I can carry the machine out to my truck, then you can be damn sure I'm going to slide save it. If it's so tight that even the smallest nudge results in a danger, than I'm not going to try anything aggressive. It's as simple as that.

Saying that you can't nudge is like saying you have to stay 1' away from the out of bounds line or something stupid like that.

#811 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

They wouldn't "care" but they would certainly find it strange as most people dont think to move the machine to play the game.

Most people wouldn't think of a loop pass but that doesn't make it any less legitimate of a skill.

#823 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Massé shots are illegal I believe in regulation billards... LTG?

I’m pretty sure they are legal, however most pool halls and leagues ban them because most players can’t execute them correctly and can easily damage the felt

https://wpapool.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/WPA_New_Rules_01MAR2016-fixed-spelling.pdf

2 weeks later
    #876 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Sliding is too hard to enforce to have it be illegal in competition. A slap save or solid nudge can “slide” the machine a little bit. How do you determine how much of a slide is too much? You can’t really... so you leave it to the tilt.
    IMO huge slide saves are lame.

I've actually DQed someone for a slide save. They slid the game into the person next to them.

I guess the technical reason was interference, but it was the result of a slide save.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball?tu=Spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.