(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg
    There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

due to the ragey competitive pinballers

A slide save is one thing, and ragey pinballers is a totally OTHER thing... the latter is a real real problem!

Anyone who does something ragey to another's machine, slamming it, rage tilting, kicking it after a ball drains, that deserves a side eye.

Not slide saves though... Josh's move above is a good example, that's an impressive, skillful, non damaging, non illegal move. Perhaps not too graceful , but that's a difficult advanced skill. And he didn't tilt! (but it would still be acceptable even if he did tilt, just sucks to be him, for that ball)

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Yep, it's a poll... I really didn't believe it would be so conflicting.... but it certainly was. There you go, pinside says opposite to the real world local pinheads. Go figure. Anyway, it is what it is!
    Thanks for your feedback everybody! . I appreciate it!
    10-4 . Out

You keep saying that but don't actually leave. Also it only seems conflicting to you. Some just vote and leave it at that.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

You keep saying that but don't actually leave. Also it only seems conflicting to you. Some just vote and leave it at that.

It's the other side of the planet, the water spins the other way here, didn't anyone say?

Either direction can be correct, depends which book you're reading..... or where you are?

Lol

Some of the odd responses really have me hooked!

#154 4 years ago

I'm the worst slide saver in my home comps. I own all the machines but i put carpet down over the concrete floors to limit the chance of machines contacting each other.
    Slide savers are much harder on carpet, and those machines that i really don't want thrown around i'll double up and use rubber feet.

Try slide saving The Hobbit on the carpet and you're more likely to hurt yourself than the machine.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I'm the worst slide saver in my home comps. I own all the machines but i put carpet down over the concrete floors to limit the chance of machines contacting each other.
    Slide savers are much harder on carpet, and those machines that i really don't want thrown around i'll double up and use rubber feet.
    Try slide saving The Hobbit on the carpet and you're more likely to hurt yourself than the machine.

Thing is, the rubber feet only transfer the force someone puts into a slide (tried to), to the cabinet leg mounts (instead of allowing the slide, force was still put into it, you just didn't see your game sliding).

Agree though with the JJP, they are built pretty well... and heavy.

I have done a few slide saves before. That is how I know it can cause damage. I don't do it anymore. Learned to play better, no slides, just nudging (I'm still s#it, better is relative! Lol).

#156 4 years ago

This thread is ridiculous, as long as owner/ops leave enough space between machines slides are perfectly acceptable. Bang backs are abuse. Deathsaves exist in a grey area, as they aren’t abusive but some consider it cheating.

I’d much rather someone attempt a slide on my games than flex the cab.

#157 4 years ago

How many times has this clown lol'ed?

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

I won't do it at someone's house if I know they don't want it done. But I do it to mine all the time and let others do it as long as they aren't banging cabs together. I also do it at tournaments. If it's not against the rules then it's not cheating. And with all the slide saves I have done to my pins I have never seen any damage from doing this.

Same here.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

How many times has this clown lol'ed?

Up to this point, nine times exactly. lol

#160 4 years ago

Slide saves are fine in competitive pinball. If you operate a pinball museum in your home (kind of sounds like OP might qualify for this) then they are not fine. I mean, there WAS a very well known pinball location here in my hometown that would BAN YOU if you just tilted a game! Not kidding.

So, follow the rules wherever you play. I set my machines up very difficult and they are all on rubber feet. You can't slide save any of the games in my home and I challenge you to try. I could care less is someone flexes my games. You are not moving it. If you move it enough to try a slide save, you will simply tilt.

A word of advice, if you "set your tilts tight" and have your front game's legs on rubber feet and someone can still slide save them, then you are doing it wrong. If you are not ok with doing that, just don't let people play your games. I don't see any problems there.

You can set any modern game to instantly tilt and give no warnings. That would also allow you to not have to set the tilt so sensitive, if that's your concern.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Yep, it's a poll... I really didn't believe it would be so conflicting.... but it certainly was. There you go, pinside says opposite to the real world local pinheads. Go figure. Anyway, it is what it is!
    Thanks for your feedback everybody! . I appreciate it!
    10-4 . Out

You are behaving like an immature 10 year old. All my friends say so, therefore it must be true. That's my real world. Do you see how that works? When you surround yourself with like minded individuals, that's not the real world. Thats your unchallenged bubble that makes you feel good about yourself, because you obviously arent prepared to handle dissenting opinions, even if they are the majority.

A pinside poll of random, nonrelated individuals who have varying opinions and backgrounds is way more of the real world. You dont have to accept it, and you can take your ball and go home to your friendly tournaments. That's your prerogative. But dont continue to repeat your opinion about how real pinball people are like you...the real pinball people have spoken, and we are obviously not like you in this particular opinion.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

You are behaving like an immature 10 year old. All my friends say so, therefore it must be true. That's my real world. Do you see how that works? When you surround yourself with like minded individuals, that's not the real world. Thats your unchallenged bubble that makes you feel good about yourself, because you obviously arent prepared to handle dissenting opinions, even if they are the majority.
    A pinside poll of random, nonrelated individuals who have varying opinions and backgrounds is way more of the real world. You dont have to accept it, and you can take your ball and go home to your friendly tournaments. That's your prerogative. But dont continue to repeat your opinion about how real pinball people are like you...the real pinball people have spoken, and we are obviously not like you in this particular opinion.

No they haven't. Almost none of the real pinball people here (Aus) are actively on the virtual space of pinside, obviously.

It's just now clear why they basically all (aquaintences) tend to avoid engaging with pinside ... like the plague!

There are sensible aspects, of course. It is still encouraging that plenty of people viewing this thread agree that slides are cheating the game, when the vast majority clicking on the thread likely already believe it is not anyway. Most whom would vote Yes I suppose would avoid the thread completely, simply due to it's title. In hindsight a different title may have been more useful. Never mind.

Taking this bias into account the result is fairly encouraging .

It's anti social, in the usual virtual way. It's been kinda eye opening and interesting surfing in here though. Still, so glad I don't live in here, the "virtual real world of pinside" Ha ha.

Back to the actual real world.

Thanks

#163 4 years ago

You keep going back to "it's cheating!", but who are you cheating? It's man against machine and the machine has mechanisms (tilt bob for 1) to master and overcome. It's not like the machine is being morally compromised. If you are playing against someone and tell them they are not allowed to nudge, but then you do, that would be cheating.

#164 4 years ago

It's like saying putting a game on 5 balls is cheating. I don't do it, but why do I care what others do on their games. Are they cheating the pinball world?

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

You keep going back to "it's cheating!", but who are you cheating? It's man against machine and the machine has mechanisms (tilt bob for 1) to master and overcome. It's not like the machine is being morally compromised. If you are playing against someone and tell them they are not allowed to nudge, but then you do, that would be cheating.

Negating the gap between the flippers.... yes it is cheating.... Waaaay more than a "death save" ever will be. If you don't get it, or don't agree..... that is fine mate!

The poll was for me to get some other online peoples opinion, I've got it!. The poll was never about changing my mind or anyone else's. Sliding games, wanton destruction, and rage, all has absolutely Nothing to do with Nudging. Get over it!

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Sliding games, wanton destruction, and rage, all has absolutely Nothing to do with Nudging. Get over it!

You seem kinda “raged” about this whole deal, more than someone scooting a game to the side. Just sayin’.
    But as many, that you ignore for the sake of continuing your rage, have said....
    Set the tilt so this legal move cannot be done without tilt, done.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Negating the gap between the flippers.... yes it is cheating....

Your negating the outlanes and flipper gap by nudging so your cheating also. Better scale it back to gently pressing the flipper buttons so you can sleep at night dirty cheater .

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Your negating the outlanes and flipper gap by nudging so your cheating also. Better scale it back to gently pressing the flipper buttons so you can sleep at night dirty cheater .

Once again. Understand. It is moving the game around on it's footings or picking it up that is cheating. Not nudging. Get with the program.

Nudging is pinball, always has been, it is as the game intended and is not cheating. Cheating is cheating.

Might as well talk to a brick s#i+house wall... they were right.

#169 4 years ago

My buddy has the perfect solution for slide saves. He put Pingulp cup holders on both sides of his games. Leaves only about an inch between cup holders. Enough room for some nugging and a hard slap save but that’s about it.
    It’s also pretty easy to see where this discussion is going. The competitive players will always say it not cheating because it’s allowed in IFPA and the more casual players like myself will say it’s cheating. I would have never guessed it was allowed in tournaments until after about 5 season in league. Now I know it’s allowed but still feel it’s a cheating move so don’t do it often.

#170 4 years ago

I don’t have time to re-read the entire thread but I feel the OP’s definition of a slide save is occurring after a ball drains. That is 100% not a legal move in leagues or tournaments. The correct definition for that is a death save, and that’s not always the only reason to slide a game.

If by slide save you meant “sliding the game in order to make a SDTM save”, then as I stated earlier, it’s totally fine. If you are not setting you game tilt sensitive enough, that’s always the responsibility of the person with the keys.

Those are pretty much the rules any league director or tournamnet director follows that submits scores to IFPA. So, regardless of what your opinion if it may or may not be, we are generally following the rules put forth by IFPA organizers, not forming our own individual opinions, as you make it sound.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

My buddy has the perfect solution for slide saves. He put Pingulp cup holders in both sides of his games. Leaves only about an inch between cup holders. Enough room for some nugging and a hard slap save but that’s about it.
    It’s also pretty easy to see where this discussion is going. The competitive plays will always say it not cheating because it’s allowed in IFPA and the more casual players like myself will say it’s cheating. I would have never guessed it was allowed in tournaments until after about 5 season in league. Now I know it’s allowed but still feel it’s a cheating move so don’t do it often.

My sentiments as well. I've only been doing IFPA for about 2 years, and seen people come and go even in that short time.

Someone said to me in discussion abot tournaments; "so these butchers have an unfair advantage with this, because I won't do it on principles? (viewing it as cheating)" .... I could not honestly argue with that. Just another reason why the vast majority of pinheads do not participate in local tournaments.

I thought IFPA wanted to build a decent player base, not scare these casual players away from participating.

This whole thread has certainly clarified alot for me.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Once again. Understand. It is moving the game around on it's footings or picking it up that is cheating. Not nudging. Get with the program.
    Nudging is pinball, always has been, it is as the game intended and is not cheating. Cheating is cheating.
    Might as well talk to a brick s#i+house wall... they were right.

Your moving the game whether the footings move or not by nudging and negating the flipper gap/outlanes. Where did this picking the game up bullshit come from? I think your high off the fumes from gluing your SOF game back together.

#173 4 years ago

You need to get better built games if a nudge that happens to make the front slide a little is causing any damage at all to your games. My games that are 30- 40 years old can handle it even though I don't personally do it, but watch my son slide a good bit eveey game. But at least he is having fun. Again, it's him against the machine. Why do I care if he is (what you call) " cheating". It's not like he is taking money from someone by doing it. Just enjoying himself. And watching him have fun is priceless.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Your moving the game whether the footings move or not by nudging and negating the flipper gap/outlanes. Where did this picking the game up bullshit come from? I think your high off the fumes from gluing your SOF game back together.

Yep. Rage is not OK and that has been brought up several times prior. No one is advocating wanton damage in any respect. Sliding the front won't damage any game that is not already compromised in some regard.

#175 4 years ago

It's actually kinda entertaing how upset OP is getting at others playing their own games even in a manner they see fit. I don't give a shit if someone wanys to set their games at 3 degrees of incline and I am certainly not gonna get upset and call them cheaters. Play your own game however you want. It's your game. Just have fun.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I don’t have time to re-read the entire thread but I feel the OP’s definition of a slide save is occurring after a ball drains. That is 100% not a legal move in leagues or tournaments. The correct definition for that is a death save, and that’s not always the only reason to slide a game.
    If by slide save you meant “sliding the game in order to make a SDTM save”, then as I stated earlier, it’s totally fine. If you are not setting you game tilt sensitive enough, that’s always the responsibility of the person with the keys.
    Those are pretty much the rules any league director or tournamnet director follows that submits scores to IFPA. So, regardless of what your opinion if it may or may not be, we are generally following the rules put forth by IFPA organizers, not forming our own individual opinions, as you make it sound.

It is not my individual opinion. It is the opinion of our collective, and many others besides.

I am going to be retiring from organising IFPA events going forward. It is for the best. It's not just the cheating thing, it's also other kinds of childish nonsense; such as supposedly skilled players crying because they couldn't manage to release their locked balls, no different to any of the many other random and skilled aspects of pinball. All the various little bits that get twisted do actually add up to quite alot.

Hey.... hows about let's take ALL of the luck aspect out of pinball?. Oh cr@p.... then it isn't pinball anymore, bugger.

For me (and others) IFPA is turning pinball into something that is not really pinball, or inticing to the average reasonable player/enthusiast.

The last two years doing IFPA has gradually drained my initially high pinball event enthusiasm. So I'm done now too.

We will be enjoying fun bowling club Pinball events with casual players

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

I am going to be retiring from organising IFPA events going forward.

Probably a good idea. You seem way to uptight for that type of thing anyway. As much as I hate tournament play, you would drain any fun I would possibly have if I did play one under you. Not even the slide thing. Just way too uptight to have a good time.

#178 4 years ago

I'm not upset

I'm actually quite relived and happy now

I can't help it if so many in here can not read and continuously repeat irrelevant points or other nonsense.

I'm not here to educate people, thank goodness. I posted to hopefully learn something and help me make a tough decision.

The ******* in here has helped me tremendously in coming to a decision. Was a little torn, not anymore.

I do thank everyone for their participation!

Cheers!

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Probably a good idea. You seem way to uptight for that type of thing anyway. As much as I hate tournament play, you would drain any fun I would possibly have if I did play one under you. Not even the slide thing. Just way too uptight to have a good time.

Lol... says "Mr well informed" . You know squat here mate

Exactly what you assume about me is actually the very reason many people are turning away from IFPA.... Uptight. Serious. Angry when it drains... all the rest. It's kind of a good joke!

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Lol... says "Mr well informed" . You know squat here mate

Just like you, I see all I need to see just from your reactions and refusal to believe what the vast majority of people keep saying and then continuously argiung your point over and over and over and over.....

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Just like you, I see all I need to see just from your reactions and refusal to believe what the vast majority of people keep saying and then continuously argiung your point over and over and over and over.....

Ahhhh I see .... it is no good unless I understand your correct viewpoint. Sounds ominous. What is the point of a forum again? ... to force people to taking whatever common ("correct") viewpoint?

Just because 90% might believe something is wrong, does not make it wrong. That goes both ways. It depends what people get taught, and different people learn different things.

If 90% vote that walking of that cliff is the right thing to do.... sorry bud I'm walking another way with the others.

Considering the type that obviously post here, to such a title, 25% is a pretty outstanding result I think, on ballance it is in no way a landslide.

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Ahhhh I see .... it is no good unless I understand your correct viewpoint. Sounds ominous. What is the point of a forum again? ... to force people to taking whatever common ("correct") viewpoint?
    Just because 90% might believe something is wrong, does not make it wrong. That goes both ways. It depends what people get taught, and different people learn different things.
    If 90% vote that walking of that cliff is the right thing to do.... sorry bud I'm walking another way with the others.
    Considering the type that obviously post here, to such a title, 25% is a pretty outstanding result I think, on ballance it is in no way a landslide.

Umm no, my point is that you are the one who keeps insisting that others agree with you and just keep arguing. I don't care what you do with your games but don't tell me how to play mine. I don't care if you don't even nudge them. But why do you care if I do? Anyway I am just enjoying rattling your cage a little since you seem to get upset so easy. It's Friday night and I am bored, but now I am going to bed. Don't worry there will be more people to argue with soon when the east coasters wake up in a few hours.

#183 4 years ago

Anyway, have a nice night!

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Umm no, my point is that you are the one who keeps insisting that others agree with you and just keep arguing. I don't care what you do with your games but don't tell me how to play mine. I don't care if you don't even nudge them. But why do you care if I do? Anyway I am just enjoying rattling your cage a little since you seem to get upset so easy. It's Friday night and I am bored, but now I am going to bed. Don't worry there will be more people to argue with soon when the east coasters wake up in a few hours.

Locals come from far to play all our (collective) games. It is really about public tournaments, for ourselves, and what kind we will be going with moving forward.

People are taking things out of context, or not reading/understanding the text. There are wild assumptions and extreme claims (specifically about my situation).

I guess it doesn't matter too much to me if people come up with a misguided view of our situation here. Just trying to clarify and help understanding of the situation for those clearly misrepresenting it, and for anyone wanting to know.

Thank you! ... and you have a nice night too!

#185 4 years ago

Just going off your overreactions here.....Maybe your real life face to face pinball friends tell you what they know you want to hear and not their true opinion.

#186 4 years ago

My 2 bits ...
    If you know how to do it successfully the ones like me get pissed, and I am usually competitive.
    Not sure how to answer ?

#187 4 years ago

If I knew how to do it successfully, i would say , take a walk .
    Again , not sure how to answer .

#188 4 years ago

You keep using the word “cheating” in the wrong context. I think that’s why you come across as irritating.
    It’s one thing to tell everyone you disagree or that everyone is wrong and you are right but to constantly call everyone cheaters is simply ridiculous.

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

You keep using the word “cheating” in the wrong context. I think that’s why you come across as irritating.
    It’s one thing to tell everyone you disagree or that everyone is wrong and you are right but to constantly call everyone cheaters is simply ridiculous.

Who said "everyone"?? . You did.

More people unable to read effectively.

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Just going off your overreactions here.....Maybe your real life face to face pinball friends tell you what they know you want to hear and not their true opinion.

An over reaction is to go making up speculative stories about people as an explanation for yourself, concerning a viewpoint some obviously don't understand..

Not understanding is fine. Making up stories about people to suit yourself, isn't so fine.

#191 4 years ago

This sounds like a kid complaining that You should never hit a home run because it might damage the bat. I mean not everyone can successfully hit a home run, so we should remove it form the game. Especially since we have to go and retrieve the ball after. In fact, you’re not allowed to play with my bat because you might hit the ball to hard. Oh, I know that Major League Baseball allows hitting home runs, but what do they know, how could they allow all that deliberate damage to a bat! Everyone that thinks a home runs is acceptable is wrong; it’s cheating plain and simple. how can they allow all the destruction to continue. Everyone that plays at my ball field knows that I don’t allow home runs, we are right in this matter.

This thread is a fucking joke. It’s just someone looking for conformation to their narrow mindedness. Then they argue that theirs a bias when the majority don’t agree. Just a fuckng joke.

#192 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

An over reaction is to go making up speculative stories about people as an explanation for yourself, concerning a viewpoint some obviously don't understand..

You mean like how you keep making up stories about all your real world pinball friends all agreeing with you to justify your position? Step out of your bubble, mate.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Exactly! No one is even telling him he is wrong for not wanting this tactic in his tourney. In fact the opposite. Many have said hold your own tourney with your rules. And he comes with , well the 2 internationally accepted bodies that set rules are wrong! Instead of just saying, agree to disagree. Also the whole cheating thing. If we enter a match under guidelines and break those, that is cheating the people we are playing with. I could care less how someone else plays their own game and certainly would not call them a cheater. Play your own game under your own rules and have fun. Who cares!

#194 4 years ago

Yeah that’s what this guy isn’t getting. Make any rules you want. IFPA doesn’t care. You can have the players play on one foot or blind folded, doesn’t matter. You might not get too many players wanting to play in a tournament like that, but do what you want.

Slide saving will never be cheating unless your rules say it is.

#195 4 years ago

Slide saving probably would be cheating if it weren't for the fact that you send the tilt-bob flying by doing so. That's why the tilt-bob exists, to turn nudging into a fair part of pinball. It's a completely fair risk vs. reward element of the game. Sure you can try slide saving the game, but in many cases you're going to end up tilting, so players have to decide whether they think it's worth risking a tilt or if they should just let the ball go and collect their bonus.

@op, you need to stop calling it cheating and just say that, in your opinion, you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with that, and if you and your friends agree and also don't want people slide saving games at your competitions then that's a-okay as well. Your competition, your rules. Repeatedly saying it's cheating and that we're all cheaters just because we disagree though is absolutely ridiculous. You can't just state things like that as fact. Especially when all the biggest pinball competitions out there clearly allow it. It's only cheating wherever it's not allowed, and it's allowed most places.

#196 4 years ago

Let's see... Start a thread so you can show that everyone agrees with you about something. Then when a large majority doesn't agree with you, denigrate the people who choose to participate on the site by insisting that you are still right, but the huge majority of people who would agree with you avoid the site because of the type of people on it.

This is the point where my wife would respond with something like "whatever" or "fine"...but I'd know darn well she didn't mean it.

#197 4 years ago

After wandering into this thread , Im quite happy to leave again quickly, strange way of asking for opinions ... let it slide, op!

#198 4 years ago

GET OUTTA ME LEAGUE YA POOFS

slide me machine I'll fuckin glass ya

#199 4 years ago

I typically slide my games around into position in my basement but this thread has given me proper warning that 20+ years of doing this may have already caused immense damage to all my machines.

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I typically slide my games around into position in my basement but this thread has given me proper warning that 20+ years of doing this may have already caused immense damage to all my machines.

If you had an engineering degree like the OP you would have known that already. Geeez. Some people. /sarcasm

There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball/page/4?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.