(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg
    There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Poll merely indicates most posters/viewers in this thread approve of the IFPA perspective. Nothing more. Real world the poll says opposite, from the people I know and actually meet.. Makes it clear now why vast majority of pinheads I meet seem to want to avoid competitive pinball. It's a shame really, but now I get it. Sorry for not getting it sooner.

Well, if you are the one setting the rules, rather than the LITERALLY internationally agreed-upon rules.. well, yeah of course they aren’t going to play. Why don’t you just join a league ? Or are their rules not restrictive enough ?

#102 4 years ago

I'm like a motorbike atm ..... two tyred. lol

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Nah playing them is fine!!
    Wanton destruction for ego.... get f"d.
    Play Better mate!

You asked for a discussion.. clearly you just wanted someplace to repeat your view over and over to anyone who didn't agree with you.

Instead of beating your drum, why not look around at what has been the consensus for decades, including from both home, commercial, and vendors?

Games still have slider feet... competitions still allow it... games haven't been modified to stop it.

Maybe your 'overwhelming' majority is smaller than you think. The votes sure show that

#104 4 years ago

Do you have a location name for this type of move? Around here it's called a "Detroit slide," and I always assumed people call it a 'melbourne slide' or whatever their location is?

This is also basically an update of the "I'm leaving Pinisde..." thread except it's "I'm leaving competitive pinball..."

#105 4 years ago

Tournament pins should be secured to the floor. Problem solved.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Poll merely indicates most posters/viewers in this thread approve of the IFPA perspective. Nothing more. Real world the poll says opposite, from the people I know and actually meet.. Makes it clear now why vast majority of pinheads I meet seem to want to avoid competitive pinball. It's a shame really, but now I get it. Sorry for not getting it sooner.

No. Poll does not indicate that. You may get to choose what is cheating for all pinball players in the world but you are not allowed to determine what we are thinking. Don't need a poll to show that you are wrong again.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well, if you are the one setting the rules, rather than the LITERALLY internationally agreed-upon rules.. well, yeah of course they aren’t going to play. Why don’t you just join a league ? Or are their rules not restrictive enough ?

I've run tournaments here for the past two years. But with not being allowerd to penalise for slide saves, being forced to split matches due to lock stealing, among other things... and more nonsense that is apparently comming.... I won't be continuing to organise competetive IFPA tournaments here. I'm going back to everyday life

We will get more players with casual events, that is from face to face local potential new player feedback. The casual new player is certainly spooked by the seriousness, some ask... some have come and seen. Some can be convinced.... but then it gets harder.

The way forward is decided... someone else is welcome to do it.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

No. Poll does not indicate that. You may get to choose what is cheating for all pinball players in the world but you are not allowed to determine what we are thinking. Don't need a poll to show that you are wrong again.

Lol ... entertaining

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Lol ... entertaining

I know, that's why you troll, right?

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Tournament pins should be secured to the floor. Problem solved.

No they probably should just be suspended from the ceiling with cables by the sounds of it! Ha ha haha ha

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

I've run tournaments here for the past two years. But with not being allowerd to penalise for slide saves

What stops you from making a no slide rule? You can have that rule and still have it an IFPA sanctioned tournament.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

What stops you from making a no slide rule? You can have that rule and still have it an IFPA sanctioned tournament.

I think that's impossible to judge frankly. It's a rule that's unenforcable and open to abuse and endless arguments. "HE SLID IT!!! HE SLID IT!!!"

Razor is doing the right thing by deciding not to run any more IFPA tournaments. He can run amateur "meets" that better suit him and his "real life" pinball associates.

#113 4 years ago

All I found out is the majority of pinsiders viewing this thread are happy to cheat the game of pinball. It's no biggie!

I just prefer to play the game I suppose.

Unfortunately with my current reaction time it's basically pointless pressing start, so I better just go to bed! Lol

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Maybe people are just trying to avoid....you.?

#115 4 years ago

I see where you are coming from, especially with today's questionable build quality, but:
    1) You have to be open to the other point of view especially if you are asking for others opinions
    2) Kettle of fish is now in my everyday vocabulary, thank you.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think that's impossible to judge frankly. It's a rule that's unenforcable and open to abuse and endless arguments. "HE SLID IT!!! HE SLID IT!!!"
    Razor is doing the right thing by deciding not to run any more IFPA tournaments. He can run amateur "meets" that better suit him and his "real life" pinball associates.

It's easy to enforce. Set the tilt tight and change the software to no tilt warnings. Anyone that tries a slide save will tilt.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

It's easy to enforce. Set the tilt tight and change the software to no tilt warnings. Anyone that tries a slide save will tilt.

Yes but the act of "slide saving" (even attempting) would still be "against the rules"and subject to penalization beyond the tilt. That's what rules are for.

summation: it's dumb.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

But it's much easier to start a troll poll, whine and bitch at 2/3 of your respondents, post multiple sequential posts in your thread and claim self'rightiousness than do all the work you are suggesting.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes but the act of "slide saving" (even attempting) would still be "against the rules"and subject to penalization beyond the tilt. That's what rules are for.
    summation: it's dumb.

No worse than trying to enforce no death saves or bang backs.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Maybe people are just trying to avoid....you.?

What? .... they said they'd come if it wasn't a "serious competition"? .... and they play with us on social occasions? ... and competetive players "flood" up here to the sticks from the city? . Clearly a very poorly informed comment. They see the serious guys that make it like sheepstations, but just want to play for fun.

So that is what the future now holds, fun pinball with more players, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

Stall ball, Heads up, plain old pingolf, standalone high score comps..... the stuff people want!

Stop talking out your arse. Please.

#121 4 years ago

Your real world poll is showing 74% don't consider slides saves cheating. That doesn't have jack to do with IFPA. Just people's opinions based on your poll.

#122 4 years ago

I'm always amazed about how hard people nudge and bang around machines. When I was a kid in the arcade the guy running the place was a always a seedy dude that would not hesitate to give you a kick in the ass or cuff upside the head. I like to play but I don't take it very seriously. Every time I go to a show I see people raging in the tournament area and that is why I never enter. I do like the shows that they have the tournaments in a different area so it doesn't look so bad.

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

No worse than trying to enforce no death saves or bang backs.

it's worse.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Your real world poll is showing 74% don't consider slides saves cheating. That doesn't have jack to do with IFPA. Just people's opinions based on your poll.

That is a Pinside poll you are talking about. I was referring to the polling locally face to face.

Wow is it really that hard? Lol

No wonder so many rubbish pinside.... doesn't help with all the people whom seem unable to read....

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

That is a Pinside poll you are talking about. I was referring to the polling locally face to face.

How do we know you aren't just making this up!?!?!? I'm not convinced you've ever actually played pinball with other people.

We will need some evidence lol lol smiley face lol laughing face

#126 4 years ago

When, exactly, does a "nudge" turn into a "slide"?
    If nudges are OK, but slides aren't, I think that would need to be defined.

Personally, on location, if the tilt is set liberal, I slide as much as it will allow. At my buddies' places, I know they're all for slide saves, so I go for it, again, as much as the tilt will allow (and they do the same at my place). If a not-as-close friend has me over for pinball, I'll find out what his stance is and honor his wishes.

Not cheating, part of the game, just like the other adjustments on the machines.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

When, exactly, does a "nudge" turn into a "slide"?
    If nudges are OK, but slides aren't, I think that would need to be defined.
    Personally, on location, if the tilt is set liberal, I slide as much as it will allow. At my buddies' places, I know they're all for slide saves, so I go for it, again, as much as the tilt will allow (and they do the same at my place). If a not-as-close friend has me over for pinball, I'll find out what his stance is an honor his wishes.
    Not cheating, part of the game, just like the other adjustments on the machines.

Legs move is more than a nudge, possibly a given tolerance. It isn't rocket science.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How do we know you aren't just making this up!?!?!? I'm not convinced you've ever actually played pinball with other people.
    We will need some evidence lol lol smiley face lol laughing face

All the IFPA aspect is recorded on the IFPA website for public review. Knock yourself out

#129 4 years ago

The tilt can be the penalty. Nothing says it would have to be worse than that. You could also use the pinball feet that PAPA uses and if it slides off the feet then they are disqualified if you are wanting a stiffer penalty. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

All I know is that slide saving is Not At All like nudging. The previous poll mixed that in there.
    Nudging has always been pinball.
    Slide saving is a Completely different kettle of fish, a new level of destruction. The gap between the flippers is intended for a ball to go between, by design. Circumventing that degrades the game in very many ways, imho.
    Discuss!

This post almost made my head explode.

"Nudging has always been in pinball." What's the point of nudging? To prevent the ball from draining down the middle or the outlanes. And that's ok.

"Slide saving is different from nudging." What's the point of slide saving? Circumventing the ball from going between the flippers. And that's not ok.

Norman, coordinate!!

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Legs move is more than a nudge, possibly a given tolerance. It isn't rocket science.

A rocket scientist might argue that a hard nudge would put more stress on the cabinet than a small slide.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

I've run tournaments here for the past two years. But with not being allowerd to penalise for slide saves, being forced to split matches due to lock stealing, among other things... and more nonsense that is apparently comming.... I won't be continuing to organise competetive IFPA tournaments here. I'm going back to everyday life
    We will get more players with casual events, that is from face to face local potential new player feedback. The casual new player is certainly spooked by the seriousness, some ask... some have come and seen. Some can be convinced.... but then it gets harder.
    The way forward is decided... someone else is welcome to do it.

Sounds like it’s a win-win!

#133 4 years ago

Can't believe there are so many people in this odd space so dedicated to justifying cheating, really. Wow

I guess that's cyberspace for ya...

Interesting in some ways I suppose.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

No wonder so many rubbish pinside.... doesn't help with all the people whom seem unable to read....

Actual poll asking people who play pinball their opinion: “Fake News!!!!!! It’s the Failing Pinside Media!!”

Totally unproveable anecdotal evidence asked over beers at the OP’s own tournaments: “they agree with me so EVERYONE must!”

My theory: The Heisenberg principle at work.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Can't believe there are so many people in this odd space so dedicated to justifying cheating, really. Wow

its
    not
    cheating

the tilt bob is there to enforce hard moves... use it properly to have the game play the way you want it to. if I do a big move and it tilts... im not doing a big move again...

#136 4 years ago

"The pinball late starter
    By razorsedge"

Sounds aboot right.

#137 4 years ago

We have a few IFPA players that slide save a nudge the shit out of the machines, I just set the Tilt tight.. The look on their face when they tilt out is priceless

#138 4 years ago

Yep, it's a poll... I really didn't believe it would be so conflicting.... but it certainly was. There you go, pinside says opposite to the real world local pinheads. Go figure. Anyway, it is what it is!

Thanks for your feedback everybody! . I appreciate it!

10-4 . Out

#139 4 years ago

If you ain't slide savin' you ain't tryin'

Slide saves don't damage a machine so long as it isn't slide into something. A well-executed slide in fact can be "gentle" compared to other "nudging" aggressive players do.

Leave it to the tilt bob/software to police. If you aren't comfortable with that, don't let others play your games?

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

We have a few IFPA players that slide save a nudge the shit out of the machines...The look on their face when they tilt out is priceless

They must be pretty low ranked if this is the first time they're encountering a machine with a tough tilt.

Quoted from razorsedge:

There you go, pinside says opposite to the real world local pinheads.

Can I get a mod in this thread please? How long are we going to have to hear Australia is the "real world?"

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Interesting in some ways I suppose.

Its not cheating, if I am playing a pinball on site I will find the tilt level and do what ever to save my ball within that when its $2 a game

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

We have a few IFPA players that slide save a nudge the shit out of the machines, I just set the Tilt tight.. The look on their face when they tilt out is priceless

WE have had machines damaged (collective) in tournaments, and unfortunately this approach is reactive, damage already done in some cases.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

They must be pretty low ranked if this is the first time they're encountering a machine with a tough tilt.

Can I get a mod in this thread please? How long are we going to have to hear Australia is the "real world?"

You're right there is nobody here.

Which is why it's amazing we could hold tournaments with 20-40 players and 20+ games, in a city of 10k pop.

Haven't you heard of context? .... the real world is when I speak to someone face to face, derr. Pinside is a forum, not the real world. Don't you know what cyberspace is?

If this wasn't so funny it would be plain dumb Lol

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

WE have had machines damaged (collective) in tournaments, and unfortunately this approach is reactive, damage already done in some cases.

Can I ask what was damaged? cab? headbox?

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, They disable the tilts on their games to do slide saves

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Do you have a location name for this type of move? Around here it's called a "Detroit slide,"

back in the 80s, we referred to it as the 'cuban slide'.

players who fail to make use this technique are just 'pretenders'.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Can I ask what was damaged? cab? headbox?

Swords of Fury, back left leg lurching made a horrible sound. Separated cabinet seam and cracked the corner block, I'm only speaking for my own game. We are a Collective of owners, mainly private, and a few no longer put games in tournaments due to the ragey competitive pinballers. Player penalised, but that is not the point. It's too late.

The poll was for my interest, and perhapas has influence my resolve to give up organising "competetive" pinball.

Pinball is going back to being fun, less seriously competetive, and more for everyone

#148 4 years ago

unaware of what that is...

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

If this wasn't so funny it would be plain dumb Lol

I can tell you, it's not that funny. So, it must be dumb.

Quoted from razorsedge:

Haven't you heard of context? .... the real world is when I speak to someone face to face, derr. Pinside is a forum, not the real world. Don't you know what cyberspace is?

Translation.....The real world is when I speak to "my circle of friends, acquaintances or anyone who thinks like me", derr. Pinside is a forum, "full of strange people who don't think like me."

This can't be real. He's enjoying it too much.

#150 4 years ago

Ok, time to stop giving this guy the attention he clearly is craving... unplug people...

There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball/page/3?hl=wlf_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.