(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg
    There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

The big question is - If you slide save on location, do you relevel the machine after your game?

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Why not just glue something in between the flippers?
    Lol

You're seriously comparing moving a machine a few inches to taking off the glass, grabbing a tube of super glue and permanently altering the play field? Now you're just being ridiculous. It's like have a conversation with a 6 year old.

I'm still waiting for you to instill some wisdom on everyone as to the physical damage I've subjected my machine to all these years.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

It's like have a conversation with a 6 year old.
    I'm still waiting for you to instill some wisdom on everyone as to the physical damage I've subjected my machine to all these years.

You have to just move on and not get emotionally invested. There are all types in pinball; and this is just a standard "diaper rubber;" 1000 threads with these weirdos on here.
    This is the byproduct of becoming a home market.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Here's my opinion. I doubt you give half a shit about it, though.
    1. I don't want players to slide save my games.
    2. The solutions are to either make a rule to keep it from happening, tighten my tilts, or add rubber feet to my games.
    3. I do the last 2 (with tilts based on what I feel is correct for each machine), and I'm happy with how it works.
    4. You apparently do the first one. Totally reasonable.

I feel the same.
    It's fair if it doesn't tilt, but I don't want it done on my games!

#56 4 years ago

Pmsl? What is that

#57 4 years ago

Seriously, can someone explain to me how does moving a machine a couple of inches damage it?

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

It can not be disputed that "slide saves" cause excessive (additional) wear and tear or damage to pinball machines.

Oh hell yeah it can!! It’s Friday and I’m down for a healthy debate. What damage have you seen caused by slide saves besides to the floor?

#60 4 years ago

I think it's a cheap move and shouldn't be allowed in tournament play, definitely not on someone's home collection. As others have said crank up the tilts!

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah great, then the neanderthols rip your legs out of the cabinet instead. Fantastic!

Show me one instance of this ever happening and I’ll vow to never slide save again.

#62 4 years ago

Anyone seriously looking to take slide saves out of the equation, just remove tilt warnings from the game through software. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to rely on any sort of tilt debounce to execute the maneuver.

#63 4 years ago

I won't do it at someone's house if I know they don't want it done. But I do it to mine all the time and let others do it as long as they aren't banging cabs together. I also do it at tournaments. If it's not against the rules then it's not cheating. And with all the slide saves I have done to my pins I have never seen any damage from doing this.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seriously, can someone explain to me how does moving a machine a couple of inches damage it?

It will depend on the floor surface and whether or not the leg casters are in those rubber coasters or not. If I game is on a hard floor that is smooth with no leg coasters it will slide easy, so likely no damage. However, if a game is a on the same hard floor but with those rubber leg coasters and is slid more force will be put on the cabinet which may lead to damage.

Also, some people put games close to each other and sliding them can damage the head of cabinets.

#65 4 years ago

I take nice games to Expo every year. I set the tilts tight. On several occasions I've seen machines get the shit beat out of them. One time a guy almost tipped one over(not mine). Slide saves and beating the shit out of machines is fine if it's yours. If it's somone else's show a little respect.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I feel the same.
    It's fair if it doesn't tilt, but I don't want it done on my games!

100% agree with the two of you. can we get a new poll option where is says "yes its technically legal if it doesn't tilt but I don't like it on my games"

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Ummm.... it's a poll, because I was interested to see what the masses believe.
    Yes it is shocking.

The masses in this poll and the other similar thread linked with a poll say its not cheating. Suck it up.

#68 4 years ago

Respect a home collector’s wishes first and foremost.

Sliding a game does not cause damage to the game unless you’re throwing the game into something.

Even if you’re using rubber feet and someone shoves the game, the stress can be handled 1,000s of times over. I see it everyday. Loosened leg bolts? Hell yeah. Damage? Hell no.

Btw at my house the rule is simple:

If you’re playing or actively trying to save a ball, do whatever they hell you want. But once the ball drains, don’t touch the game. My games are spaced far apart for a reason. Haha

#69 4 years ago

I wish I could move phoebes like that a league. Always kicks my ass.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Show me one instance of this ever happening and I’ll vow to never slide save again.

It is of course a progressive thing. Incrimentally your cabinet will come apart. I have an F14 Tomcat that has suffered such abuse and split the back of its cabinet... eventually. But not just that game, several more. It is easy to pick the games that have been treated well.

So, many instances in fact. You want my entire pinball repair gallery here? ... there's already surely plenty among repair threads right here on pinside already.

What else can I say?

#71 4 years ago
    #72 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Pinball used to involve gambling, back in my grandpa’s day. The question I would ask, “would the gambling establishment allow it?”

Most reasonable and intelligent response here yet... imho.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

[quoted image]

Watching carefully the ball was heading for the left flipper anyway! Pmsl

Zero credit. Score zero

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Incrimentally your cabinet will come apart.

From slide saving? Doubt it. From 30 year old glue and joints? Likely.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

I have an F14 Tomcat that has suffered such abuse and split the back of its cabinet... eventually. But not just that game, several more. It is easy to pick the games that have been treated well.
    So, many instances in fact. You want my entire pinball repair gallery here? ... there's already surely plenty among repair threads right here on pinside already.
    What else can I say?

It probably wasn't sliding the game that did damage to those games, it was probably the relentless pounding they took from people having sex on them.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

From slide saving? Doubt it. From 30 year old glue and joints? Likely.

This is hillarious! .... carry on!

#77 4 years ago

I like to lift up the front of machine, rest it on my knee, then hit start.
    Once I played LOTR for 3.5 hours. On ball one.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Most reasonable and intelligent response here yet... imho.

IFPA/PAPA rules allow it. So not cheating.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Well, for my own two bobs worth it is simply blatant cheating, abuse, and bad sportsmanship. Simple as that.
    I'm sure plenty will disagree... simply not welcome at our meets!

That's ridiculous.

If you don't want people sliding the game at your "meets," get rubber footies like PAPA uses. They are cheap. Put one on each front legs and you can't slide games.

It's too difficult otherwise to police slide slaves. What's a slide? A hard nudge that moves the game an inch left or right? Or a nice one-footer move. As others have stated have your tilts set correctly as well.

You'll never find an actual pro who considers sliding a game "cheating." May as well say nudging is "cheating."

People who say stuff like that are always rank amateurs.

#80 4 years ago

Go to the gym and you can slide save too.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I don't think you should be able to do that to machines, but if the owner has the machine set up so you can do it without tilting/etc, then it's 'legal'. I set my machines up so that you'll tilt if you do it, and I think that should be the standard at tournaments

You need to check your Genie tilt Zac.... I was able to slide on it about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 it tilted though. I've had issues with system 1 tilts like that in the past where it seems to time out.... doesn't matter what boardset is in it either, I think it must be the 'age' of the ring/bob, maybe a dead spot on the plumb bob? Tried polishing it but no difference.... time to just put a new one in there (or maybe try one of those new electronic ones)

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

You need to check your Genie tilt Zac.... I was able to slide on it about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 it tilted though. I've had issues with system 1 tilts like that in the past where it seems to time out.... doesn't matter what boardset is in it either, I think it must be the 'age' of the ring/bob, maybe a dead spot on the plumb bob? Tried polishing it but no difference.... time to just put a new one in there (or maybe try one of those new electronic ones)

I’ve had weird issues with system one tilts too.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

IFPA/PAPA rules allow it. So not cheating.

This does not make it "not cheating". It merely means the IFPA aproves of the conduct. Lol

Sorry, I don't agree with the IFPA's opinion.

This seems to be the reason everyone rekons it's okay. I say bollocks.

#84 4 years ago

Anyone pissing themselves this much should get that checked

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Pinball used to involve gambling, back in my grandpa’s day. The question I would ask, “would the gambling establishment allow it?”

This is the statement you said you agree with. The establishment (PAPA/IFPA) allow it. You can't take into consideration that he stated gambling establishment because when pinball was involved with gambling it was considered a game a luck. It has been shown that it is a game of skill and not luck. And if you follow the rules it is not cheating. Just because you don't agree with the rule doesn't make it otherwise. You are free to set up your own rules at your events. And if you make a rule of no slide saves then it would be cheating to do so. But if it's allowed then it's not cheating.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

This is the statement you said you agree with. The establishment (PAPA/IFPA) allow it. You can't take into consideration that he stated gambling establishment because when pinball was involved with gambling it was considered a game a luck. It has been shown that it is a game of skill and not luck. And if you follow the rules it is not cheating. Just because you don't agree with the rule doesn't make it otherwise. You are free to set up your own rules at your events. And if you make a rule of no slide saves then it would be cheating to do so. But if it's allowed then it's not cheating.

I don't allow it. Because it Is cheating.

Different folks, different strokes.

Just because it is "allowed" by some "group" does not always make something right.

We'll have to agree to disagree.... but most people I know do not. It is that simple.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

This does not make it "not cheating". It merely means the IFPA aproves of the conduct. Lol
    Sorry, I don't agree with the IFPA's opinion.
    This seems to be the reason everyone rekons it's okay. I say bollocks.

Yes, it makes it "not cheating" when the governing body of competitive pinball allows it. You can disagree all you want, but you are wrong.

#88 4 years ago

Bang backs are cheating. Slap saves, slide saves, nudging/bumping and rattling is not only Pinball, It’s necessary to do well.

Like mentioned before, adjust your bobs so a slide of an inch will tilt.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Anyone pissing themselves this much should get that checked

haha this made me about spit out my coffee lol

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Yes, it makes it "not cheating" when the governing body of competitive pinball allows it. You can disagree all you want, but you are wrong.

No I am not "wrong". No more than IFPA is Wrong. I do not agree... just like so many others do not agree. There is significant difference. Also like so many others now, I'm over the competetive pinball scene. I've had enough of the mincing up of pinball.

Only the same here as me claiming the IFPA is wrong. Anyone towing the line will of course say IFPA is right, of course!

Everybody is right! ... in their own world.

I'm only wrong if I don't disown the IFPA "ideology". Sux because there are plenty of good aspects, but no thanks now with the increasing nonsense... going forward I'll be sticking to Fun pinball events! ..... and Enjoying pinball with other fun-loving pinheads.

Poll thread has served it's purpose, for me.

Enjoy!

#91 4 years ago

Always 2am somewhere

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

No I am not "wrong". No more than IFPA is Wrong. I do not agree... just like so many others do not agree. There is significant difference. Also like so many others now, I'm over the competetive pinball scene. I've had enough of the mincing up of pinball.
    Only the same here as me claiming the IFPA is wrong. Anyone towing the line will of course say IFPA is right, of course!
    Everybody is right! ... in their own world.
    I'm only wrong if I don't disown the IFPA "ideology". Sux because there are plenty of good aspects, but no thanks now with the increasing nonsense... going forward I'll be sticking to Fun pinball events! ..... and Enjoying pinball with other fun-loving pinheads.
    Enjoy!

Poll says you were wrong by a long shot. Poll better.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Now you're just being ridiculous. It's like have a conversation with a 6 year old.

Well there you go, buddy! We finally agree on something.

Quoted from razorsedge:

The purpose of the poll, for you, was to completely and cruelly repudiate your incorrect pinball world view, rather than providing soothing validation? Interesting, if true!

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Always 2am somewhere

I know right! ... after too much bearded lady and homebrew, and in front of some killer live music!

It's been a very entertaining evening!

#95 4 years ago

zzzzzzzzzzz!

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well there you go, buddy! We finally agree on something.

It was bound to happy sooner or later.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Poll says you were wrong by a long shot. Poll better.

Poll merely indicates most posters/viewers in this thread approve of the IFPA perspective. Nothing more. Real world the poll says opposite, from the people I know and actually meet.. Makes it clear now why vast majority of pinheads I meet seem to want to avoid competitive pinball. It's a shame really, but now I get it. Sorry for not getting it sooner.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Makes it clear now why vast majority of pinheads I meet seem to want to avoid competitive pinball. It's a shame really,

It's not a shame, at all. Competitive pinball isn't for everybody.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not a shame, at all. Competitive pinball isn't for everybody.

Seems like all or none then. That excludes Alot of people I know. Just saying.

So yes, it is a shame, here. Imagine the size of the player base with a change of attitude?

... and with potential new players. The casual/competetive type.

Pie in the sky stuff I know, but .... meh. Whatever.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

To me it is in exactly the same category as lifting the front of the game so that the ball rolls up playfield.

And yet.. both regulated by the same thing. The tilt bob.

You have the power...

There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball/page/2?hl=jandrea95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.