(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg
    There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 18.
    #751 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Gonna slide save the shit out of Ghostbusters premium at league tonight. Hope it can handle more than six inches.

See if you can get it into the back of your truck before it tilts.

#752 4 years ago

I'm gonna aim for the dumpster.

#753 4 years ago

Huge Slide saves in our league tournaments, though not illegal, are highly frowned upon, since we are playing on the host collector’s machines. However, when the host slide saves his own machine during the tournament, do you think I am gentle and curt with my slides from that point on? No. If the host abuses his machines, then I respond in kind with my save efforts. Bang backs and death saves are not allowed, but slide saves, depending on how violent they are NOT, are tolerated.

If I am paying to play, then the only referee is either the bartender or the arcade worker flunky watching me or Bob. And if Bob says its ok, then its OK. I am competing with the owner/op to play as much pinball without having to pay for it. If my slide save loosened up the leg bolts a little bit, and scratched the floor, well the owner got a buck out of me for 3 balls which cost him nothing, maybe he can use a little bit of that dollar and pay some flunky $10 bucks an hour to rerubber, clean, wax, and retighten the leg bolts, oh and throw on a new set of leg levelers on the feet once in a while, they cost all of a couple of bucks. A coat of wax on that floor might help with the scuff marks.

#754 4 years ago

Threads about how many inches of movement constitutes a “slide” and how to use a hot iron to flatten out clear coat issues.

WTH is going on around here?

#755 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

I’m not sure but MORE then 6” seems like a lot.

Well they say 6 inches is the average slide for white males.

#756 4 years ago
    Quoted from Humph:

I sincerely apologize for some of my comments/postings that may have offended some (especially OP) as some of them may not be in the spirit of debate.

Damn, you HAVE been drinking.

#757 4 years ago

Anyone get a photo of Level 257 league last night? Deadpool got shoved so far to the left that we had to angle TWO games on that side to make room. (cough abagwell cough)

#758 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Anyone get a photo of Level 257 league last night? Deadpool got shoved so far to the left that we had to angle TWO games on that side to make room. (cough abagwell cough)

You bet your butt I did....

Four machines were destroyed and two players permabanned due to slide saves that night. Jk, NO MACHINES WERE HARMED in the execution of these skill moves...

20191001_205544 (resized).jpg20191001_205544 (resized).jpg20191001_205709 (resized).jpg20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    #759 4 years ago

For real though, when the "dude who saved pinball" is the one to nonchalantly move the Hobbit after a nice abagwell slide save and plunge away without complaint, I think we've got our answer re: slide saves

#760 4 years ago
    Quoted from wlf_:

For real though, when the "dude who saved pinball" is the one to nonchalantly move the Hobbit after a nice abagwell slide save and plunge away without complaint, I think we've got our answer re: slide saves

For Some. Each to their own.

#761 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

What kind of scores were pulled on DP ?

#762 4 years ago
    Quoted from Humph:

What kind of scores were pulled on DP ?

100 to 200 this night, set up hard with no ball save or eb for competition. Seen 300 to 500 other nights. Plays well otherwise GC at around 2 billion

#763 4 years ago

Cool, my GC is just shy of 2 billion.

Deadpool one of my faves, but haven't played it in a tougher tourney setting as yet.

#764 4 years ago

So it looks like the debate is finally over. So the results are in and the verdict is........

#765 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

So it looks like the debate is finally over. So the results are in and the verdict is........

Russian bots have learned a new way to outrage people. Talk about sliding things around.

#766 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

It can not be disputed that "slide saves" can often cause excessive (additional) wear and tear or damage to pinball machines.

The only thing at real risk is your floor.

In a great game you sure as heck can bet I may slide save. It’s a pro move IMO.

#767 4 years ago

Just because.....this guy had a small “slide”

7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    #768 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Just because.....this guy had a small “slide”[quoted image]

Oh thats just not right....

#769 4 years ago

What if a pinball machine was on a hockey rink?
    Slides would be pretty cool!

2 months later
    #770 4 years ago

I voted no, but I think I have misunderstood the wording... I nudge like hell when I play, but never SLIDE the actual machine. If I even nudge too hard, I tilt it so how the hell does anyone get away with full on sliding. In that case, my vote would be yes, it is cheating.

#771 4 years ago

I don’t know how they do it. It’s cheating!! Haha. Really only works on games with no tilt or modern games with debounce code.

#772 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crimsonsteel:

I voted no, but I think I have misunderstood the wording... I nudge like hell when I play, but never SLIDE the actual machine. If I even nudge too hard, I tilt it so how the hell does anyone get away with full on sliding. In that case, my vote would be yes, it is cheating.

Everyone has the option to change their vote if they choose.

Hindsight there would have been better wording. 20-20. Cant really change the actual question once a heap of people have voted though.

Key words "the game" were intended to add the Context at the end. Not clear enough though. Most a bit too focused on the "C" word (I mean cheating, not Context lol).

It should have read something like:

Is sliding a pinball machine across the floor (+inch) in the spirit of the game?
    -Yes
    -No
    -Other

Could even go more like: Does being violent with machines discourage women, or make them feel uncomfortable at "tournaments" ??

Anyway...

#773 4 years ago

Didn't this thread die?

We had to drag F-14 out of the way last night after a few slide saves on GB during leagues. I may or may not have contributed to it being partially sideways.

#774 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Didn't this thread die?

Must have got its flu shot.

#775 4 years ago

Slid the new Jurassic park 6 inches in fromnt of the operator yesterday.
    Lucky he's a mate.

#776 4 years ago

Each to their own. There is clearly more than one way to use, play or abuse a pinball machine.

*edit

#777 4 years ago

You're still wrong bro.

#778 4 years ago

Not everyone is a barbarian though

I'd forgotten all about this thread. Good to see someone gave it a revival.

It's wierd that while condoning sliding pinballs across the floor, some machoistic dickheads still wonder why women would want their own division. Lol

Gives the barbarians somewhere to argue how they see their behaviour as "justified"

#779 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bruce_Pickle:

You're still wrong bro.

I am no more "wrong" than you are my friend.

Watch the downvotes come rolling in from those wanting to protect their "right" to be violent.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of "no" voters in this thread are women.

#780 4 years ago
    tenor-7.giftenor-7.gif
    #781 4 years ago

Doesn't seem like a dead horse at all... already up another point to 32% ....

1 year later
    #782 2 years ago

The Mandalorian center ramp has forced me to reexplore this save.

#783 2 years ago

I was watching a player who was so fancy with his bumping and slide saving..,he looked like a spaz.

#784 2 years ago

Spaze save...should be called.

#785 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Spaze save...should be called.

You should try and catch up with the world. We've moved on from those derogatory names, mate.

QuiteSomeTimeAgoPunkin

#786 2 years ago

Play YOUR pin any way you want! However,you may want to show some courtesy for other peoples equipment, imho!!

#787 2 years ago

Like the old saying goes “ If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying”.

#788 2 years ago

I'm in the minority but not sure any movement of the game is considered ok. I watched a guy, bump, nudge, slide, whatever, and looked pretty proud of himself after he was done and got a free game. I had to laugh. I didn't realize it was exercise to play pinball. Look.. my rule is if you fill a glass with beer, set the beer in the cup holder then proceed to spill it all over the pin and floor, then maybe your moving/cheating. Just push the buttons and nudge a little. Issue is you need to tighten up the tilt.

#790 2 years ago

Dude that was a joke about spilling beer.. geez-us..

#791 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

I'm in the minority but not sure any movement of the game is considered ok. I watched a guy, bump, nudge, slide, whatever, and looked pretty proud of himself after he was done and got a free game. I had to laugh. I didn't realize it was exercise to play pinball. Look.. my rule is if you fill a glass with beer, set the beer in the cup holder then proceed to spill it all over the pin and floor, then maybe your moving/cheating. Just push the buttons and nudge a little. Issue is you need to tighten up the tilt.

I agree.. In my house, you wont get away with any of that crap as my tilt is tight haha. As well as rubber feet to stop movement.

#792 2 years ago

The tilt is the judge. Just like the foul line in bowling, the boundaries in football and all the other games that employ some sort of device or person that monitors what is legal and what isn't legal.

If the tilt is loose enough that I can carry the machine out to my truck, then you can be damn sure I'm going to slide save it. If it's so tight that even the smallest nudge results in a danger, than I'm not going to try anything aggressive. It's as simple as that.

Saying that you can't nudge is like saying you have to stay 1' away from the out of bounds line or something stupid like that.

#793 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

Why shouldn't be pinball be exercise? It certainly wouldn't hurt me to burn a few more calories playing pinball.

#794 2 years ago

The worst.

#795 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

All I know is that slide saving is Not At All like nudging. The previous poll mixed that in there.
    Nudging has always been pinball.
    Slide saving is a Completely different kettle of fish, a new level of destruction. The gap between the flippers is intended for a ball to go between, by design. Circumventing that degrades the game in very many ways, imho.
    Discuss!
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"d949632d832116a545ec5881b6b3f8bc671707c1-1626965857-1800"};
    //]]>

Learn how to set your tilt proper and we won't be having this discussion.As an avid tournament player I'm taking every bit of the tilt I am given,set the tilt to lose and I will slide your machine.

#796 2 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Everyone has the option to change their vote if they choose.
    Hindsight there would have been better wording. 20-20. Cant really change the actual question once a heap of people have voted though.
    Key words "the game" were intended to add the Context at the end. Not clear enough though. Most a bit too focused on the "C" word (I mean cheating, not Context lol).
    It should have read something like:
    Is sliding a pinball machine across the floor (+inch) in the spirit of the game?
    -Yes
    -No
    -Other
    Could even go more like: Does being violent with machines discourage women, or make them feel uncomfortable at "tournaments" ??
    Anyway...

answers would still be the same. If it doesn't tilt, it counts.

#797 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

Dude that was a joke about spilling beer...

Dude and I was drunk as shit when I made my post...synergy!
    It was a bit harsh, I apologize

Quoted from Rager170:

I agree.. In my house, you wont get away with any of that crap as my tilt is tight haha. As well as rubber feet to stop movement.

Now...here's an actual douche owner...

#798 2 years ago

Love em!!

#799 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Dude and I was drunk as shit when I made my post...synergy!
    It was a bit harsh, I apologize

Now...here's an actual douche owner...

Lol awwww, sorry if my opinion differs from you and you get all butt-hurt LOL

#800 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Lol awwww, sorry if my opinion differs from you and you get all butt-hurt LOL

Ha not butt hurt at all. I love these tough "nobody gets away with that shit in my house posts;" they're Pinside classics. Like people are lined up begging to get in your sweet house to play your ultra tight games you cant nudge or they tilt thru...exciting! line of zombies not moving just groaning and swaying.
    Takes all kinds.

There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball/page/16?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.