(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg
    There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.
    #601 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

It's not off topic. Simply put the game operates just fine depending on how you set the tilt bob.
    And a "modern machine" probably has a setting somewhere for 0 warnings.
    You asked if it's cheating - overwhelmingly the poll indicates it isn't.
    What you're doing is now trolling your own thread because YOU think it's cheating and we don't agree with you.
    Sounds like a thread about free parking to me...
    Best of luck making your case to people who obviously don't agree with your narrow minded view.

I am not asking if it is "cheating", that is up to personal views, and what rules people might make Based on their views.

I asked what other people thought. If they think sliding is cheating the game, or if it is in the spirit of the game.

I am sorry the question seems to be confusing for some people, or that they don't see there is a difference.

I've tried to clarify, but some are still on a different page.

About Pinball, not about people! .... some are missing this point, and so getting their knickers all in a knot, telling people they are wrong and must change their beliefs.

Not going to change my view on pinball. Not sorry.

#602 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Plenty are not paying attention

Nope, just one, and their head is so far in the sand about this topic, it’s never coming out.

2C74CDD7-AB84-4C2D-B7C8-09BDA78B1EED.gif2C74CDD7-AB84-4C2D-B7C8-09BDA78B1EED.gif

#603 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Nope, just one, and their head is so far in the sand about this topic, it’s never coming out.
    [quoted image]

Opinion Lol

30%

Don't have to take it personal mate.

#604 4 years ago

I understand that it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But here’s a little more education for you.

What is a valid opinion?
    That makes it valid. If your opinion is not supported by (concrete) facts, or if your argument linking the facts to your (inferred) conclusion (opinion) is logically unsound or otherwise unreasonable, then it is invalid. ... To be held valid (and warranted) an opinion must be upheld by facts, and/or laws and arguments.

Can a opinion be wrong?
    According to the meaning it self, the opinion is biased.We are voicing our opinion not based on fact or knowledge, so it is biased anyway. So there is no need to say 'your opinion is biased'. ... So, opinions can not be wrong unless they are against proven facts.

Your opinion is not upheld by held facts. It is your biased opinion and opinions can be wrong when not upheld by facts.

It’s not cheating, it’s not against the rules, it doesn’t damage a game if done properly. I’m just trying to stop the cart before anyone else is lead down the wrong path.

Don’t take it personally. I’ve been wrong plenty of times in life, usually I can notice my faults and admit when I’m wrong though.

#605 4 years ago

I understand that it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But here’s a little more education for you.
    What is a valid opinion?
    That makes it valid. If your opinion is not supported by (concrete) facts, or if your argument linking the facts to your (inferred) conclusion (opinion) is logically unsound or otherwise unreasonable, then it is invalid. ... To be held valid (and warranted) an opinion must be upheld by facts, and/or laws and arguments.
    Can a opinion be wrong?
    According to the meaning it self, the opinion is biased.We are voicing our opinion not based on fact or knowledge, so it is biased anyway. So there is no need to say 'your opinion is biased'. ... So, opinions can not be wrong unless they are against proven facts.
    Your opinion is not upheld by held facts. It is your biased opinion and opinions can be wrong when not upheld by facts.
    It’s not cheating, it’s not against the rules, it doesn’t damage a game if done properly. I’m just trying to stop the cart before anyone else is lead down the wrong path.
    Don’t take it personally. I’ve been wrong plenty of times in life, usually I can notice my faults and admit when I’m wrong though.

Now you're just being silly

Keep going though...

#606 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Opinion Lol
    30%
    Don't have to take it personal mate.

I assume 30% means the portion of the poll results. You’re poll title and contents have changed since you initially posted it. Right now my choice would probably change based on the current wording. I find all manipulation of the game through nudging and sliding cheating the game.

#607 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I assume 30% means the portion of the poll results. You’re poll title and contents have changed since you initially posted it. Right now my choice would probably change based on the current wording. I find all manipulation of the game through nudging and sliding cheating the game.

The poll questions have never changed. You can not change a poll question. The title did not reflect the question too well, as was pointed out.

Yes I did screw up the title to start with. Sorry I'm new to getting around pinside.

Maybe more reading of the thread will help?

Or, if some people still can't comprehend, perhaps I should just start again with clearer wording

Either way I'm glad I came along and created the topic. Very interesting, and informative!

#608 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Or, if some people still can't comprehend, perhaps I should just start again with clearer wording

This would be swell.

#609 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would say since flipperless pinball originated as a nudging only game, nudging is meant to be part of pinball as far as I can tell. But I just do not see that sliding the machine about was ever in the intention of pinball, the same way that lifting the front of the game renders the challenge meaningless.

I can respect other peoples opinion about sliding being fun and legitimate, for them... or even that nudging should not be done at all, at the opposite end of the scale

I can not accept extreme statements like "sliding will not damage your machine" ... this is false. Fact is I have seen it happen, severely. It seems like some people have never experienced the adverse flooring conditions that can be experienced by pinball machines?.

Slides Certainly Can severely damage your machine. Fact. But, not in all conditions of course, and not all instances. People may never have seen it happen, does not mean it can not happen. On that part is where I declare some people here are blatantly wrong. By the fact. In conditions they have seen or are familliar with, maybe no damage. But come to our venue with hundreds of square metres of old thin carpet laid on fairly slick concrete.

Put rubber feet or whatever you like on the legs.... when someone "has a go" at a big slide save the machine will actually start to slide a few inches (carpet slides on concrete). But then what happens is the carpet wrinkles up. Now, for anyone familliar with basic physics, you have a couple of hundred pounds of pinball machine In Motion with quite some kinetic energy within the body, so when the leg eventually gets Anchored Up on the wrinkling carpet it comes to a Sudden Halt! ... I'm sorry disbelievers, but it goes Fu@#ing Crunch!. End of story!

There are other surfaces that can have a similar effect.

There is more to the world than your basement you know.

#610 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I find all manipulation of the game through nudging and sliding cheating the game.

I'm assuming that you're joking, especially since I looked at your Twitch channel and it took me an entire 60 seconds to find you shove a machine, taking a double danger.

#611 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm assuming that you're joking, especially since I looked at your Twitch channel and it took me an entire 60 seconds to find you slap save a machine taking a double danger.

What can I say, I like to cheat the game. I’ve never cheated though.

Is you mind blown?

Cheating the game = exploit to me. Those are alive and well in pinball.

#612 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Now you're just being silly

How so?

Are all opinions valid. No
    Are all opinions right. No

Where are the facts to support your opinion? ..... none, ok.

You have yet to convince me that your opinion has any merit. All I can see is your bias.

Opinions can be wrong and in this case it’s yours that is.

#613 4 years ago

How so?
    Are all opinions valid. No
    Are all opinions right. No
    Where are the facts to support your opinion? ..... none, ok.
    You have yet to convince me that your opinion has any merit. All I can see is your bias.
    Opinions can be wrong and in this case it’s yours that is.

My opinion is perfectly valid thanks

Same with the other 140 odd poll participants. Get over it.

But hey, keep going if you're that passionate about it.

Slide! , I really don't give a crap what you want to do to win at pinball on your own games, but break our machines by breaking the venue rules and things will get very f**k**g hairy for you.

#614 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

My opinion is perfectly valid thanks

35FCCDE6-F735-45B0-95F8-B8625AE9C490.gif35FCCDE6-F735-45B0-95F8-B8625AE9C490.gif

#615 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I can not change the poll question but, from what I see in pinsides options for the poll, it looks to me like anyone is free to change their vote.

#616 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Where is the border between sliding, and relocating?

Sometimes after an intense game, my machine may wind up on the other side of the basement. Extra long power cords are a must. 60ft min.

#617 4 years ago

Is it alright to do the ELECTRIC SLIDE. Is this consider cheating?

#618 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Is it alright to do the ELECTRIC SLIDE. Is this consider cheating?

Well... I guess that's okay? Lol

Please not on the p/f Glass!?

Just be careful not to get your feet hooked up on the s#itty areas of loose carpet or you might break a leg

We get the venue essentially for free, and in most aspects it is awesome! ... but they aren't in a position anytime soon to be replacing 100's of metres of carpet. It is overall in reasonable condition, just fairly thin and not stuck to the underlying floor too well, and can wrinkle up and slip.

#619 4 years ago

"My opinion is perfectly valid thanks

Same with the other 140 odd poll participants."

#620 4 years ago
    quote-talk-to-people-who-know-more-than-you-i-feel-like-we-re-in-this-stupid-sea-of-opinion-jessa-crispin-149-34-58 (resized).jpquote-talk-to-people-who-know-more-than-you-i-feel-like-we-re-in-this-stupid-sea-of-opinion-jessa-crispin-149-34-58 (resized).jp
    #621 4 years ago

A few years ago at PHOF I easily launched a ball on Road Show and got a tilt.

Andrew

Quoted from greenhornet:

dont come to vegas and slide save our games.
    we dont want that kind of behavior at the PHOF.[quoted image]

#622 4 years ago

Wow! look it's a meme about some worked up "no" pollers in here...

Yeah and we all love well placed memes ...

#623 4 years ago

What is a valid opinion?
    Can a opinion be wrong?

By your own definitions it could well be:

Your opinion is not valid.
    Your opinion is not right.

Of course that is only if you are saying Slide Saves are valid under Any and All Circumstances. I'm sure you aren't saying that though?

Opinion is related to philosophy.

Your "guide" is missing a fair bit, excluded.

My opinion is valid, it may be right for me, but not right for some others. But others might certainly share it, just like some might share another view.

Some things are simply down to choice you realise?

It feels like you will not be happy unless I Changed My view. Sorry, I can't help you there...

#624 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Sorry, I can't help you there...

you are not helping 'everybody' in 'everyway' 'everyday'.

#625 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

you are not helping 'everyone' in 'everyway' 'everyday'.

You can please all of the people some of the time, and you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

*you know, that "everyone" and "everything" thing you have goin there...

Dang Nammit... really should I have found or made up a meme for that?

#626 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

10.75 CM

#627 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Keep going though...

I'm trying to help you keep the thread alive.

Quoted from razorsedge:

Wow! look it's a meme about some worked up "no" pollers in here...
    Yeah and we all love well placed memes ...

Heres another one.

spock-you-are-defensive-and-therefore-find-my-opinion-valid-2676202 (resized).pngspock-you-are-defensive-and-therefore-find-my-opinion-valid-2676202 (resized).png
    #628 4 years ago

Heres another one.[quoted image]

I do

True though, I was being a bit exclusive in previous post, should really be:

"My opinion is perfectly valid thanks

Same with the other 450 plus poll participants."

It's just the agree to disagree bit

#629 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

This is a great question!

As far as I know PAPA use "pedestal" type system for the feet to sit on? ... to disallow sliding the games I assume?

I don't know how high they are, or how slippery? . If they are too high, or any significant height at all really, then only one leg dropping off might twist/stress the cabinet a bit? ... I don't think pinballs rocking on two legs does the cabinets too much good...

Anyway either way there probably could be some "tollerance"? .... is that 5mm? , 1/2"? , 3"? , 107.5mm? , 2 feet ? Lol .... or anything in between? ... How big are these "discs"?

We put tape on the floor, mark positions. Maybe I won't divulge our tolerance now though ...

*my mum would use centimetres for dressmaking, only place I seen that unit used after primary school. Bringing back memories

#630 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

As far as I know PAPA use "pedestal" type system for the feet to sit on? ... to disallow sliding the games I assume?

No. They are rubber feet the go on the leg levelers. Makes it really hard to slide the game. If you shove the game hard enough that the leg comes out of the rubber cover and touches the ground, you’re DQed from that game.

#631 4 years ago

Thanks Neo!
    Was prepared for calculating inches ,you just made my day!

#632 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Thanks Neo!
    Was prepared for calculating inches ,you just made my day!

I figured i'd do the calculation for you. Just here to help.

#633 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I figured i'd do the calculation for you. Just here to help.

4.232 inches is a very specific tolerance! ... even in metric Lol

Now that's dedication!

#634 4 years ago

Jesus how has this thread not been thrown into the basement yet?

#635 4 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Jesus how has this thread not been thrown into the basement yet?

What is the difference between this thread and a LED or not to LED thread? None. It's just a pinball topic with different opinions.

#636 4 years ago

Heres another one.[quoted image]

Actually, you are just trolling.

#637 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Actually, you are just trolling.

Wait. What? ok. Time for me to stfu

8dd9e40b7270cf4a353869b9ceca52eb (resized).jpg8dd9e40b7270cf4a353869b9ceca52eb (resized).jpg
    #638 4 years ago

Wait. What? ok. Time for me to stfu[quoted image]

Still trolling. LOL

The thread would have died long ago if it wasn't for the trolling by yourself and many others.
    Op made thread,
    Retaliation of the people begins.
    Someone will make a post that actually contributes to discussion for one side or the other.
    Op responds,
    4 or 5 troll/joke/pictures or just nonsense posts pop up after his response.
    Wash rinse repeat.

Seriously if you are so offended by ops opinion and 31% of the poll then why don't you just drain it. Maybe the 31% would like to discuss why they feel it should be illegal. I'll hate to brake it to ya but it's ok to have different opinions. We can still be friends.

#639 4 years ago

Very similar results on the poll from 2 Years ago. Interesting?

891E9F7F-D6AB-40F3-87D3-445B951740BA (resized).png891E9F7F-D6AB-40F3-87D3-445B951740BA (resized).png
    #640 4 years ago
    Quoted from JimmyJames:

Very similar results on the poll from 2 Years ago. Interesting?[quoted image]

Which also included the word "cheating", and also which many people took to heart...

But yes, both interesting!

#641 4 years ago

The comment I get from potential new players, overwhelmingly, is "but isn't that cheating"?

They know nothing about tournaments, or "competetive tactics"... but it certainly seems to be offputing to them. But hey, they're just the general public, why should their opinion about it count?

We want as many people to join in as we can.

#642 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

The comment I get from potential new players, overwhelmingly, is "but isn't that cheating"?

I get this constantly. Then i say nope and explain how tilts work. Then they say, “oh okay that makes sense”. 100% of the time.

Then they play some more with us.

#643 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I get this constantly. Then i say nope and explain how tilts work. Then they say, “oh okay that makes sense”. 100% of the time.
    Then they play some more with us.

Nooooo , they perfectly understand Nudging, from their playing casually onsite and history in playing pins "back in the day".... they don't get why it could be okay to "move the goalposts" wherever they like. Majority view here.

I'm not talking these people have never played pinball, they know what nudging is... just don't get "competitive" pinball, the condoning of "cheating the game". Yes, THEY use the word cheating to me! , about Sliding in specific. As far as I have seen here, this is how alot of the "public" see slide saving. Great way to get more people into pinball.

Also looks like the thread is no hidden somehow? ... I guess silenced in some way, too many "sliders" complaining and getting worried more non competitive players might start viewing and sharing their opinion? ... or maybe something else.

#644 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

As far as I have seen here, this is how alot of the "public" see slide saving. Great way to get more people into pinball.

Yep. This is how I see it too. And these people ime are on board once the rules and tilt bobs are explained to them. Never seen someone think it’s cheating after that.

#645 4 years ago

Ahhhh, Moved, to "Playing Tips" ???

This topic is Not about Playing tips, it is about how all public and players view Pinball in general, as far as sliding machines being "Cheating the Game". To most people I know it doesn't seem like a legitimate way to play at all.

It will need a link if it doesn't get fixed, or a new topic in "All Pinball" . This topic and poll has absolutely nothing to do with playing "tips". It is about the percepion of cheating the game contributing to putting off so many of the "new player pool" from participating in tournaments.

The topic being Moved is not in line with category titles. Can I have a justification from a moderator please?

#646 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. This is how I see it too. And these people ime are on board once the rules and tilt bobs are explained to them. Never seen someone think it’s cheating after that.

Geez again... tilt bobs (on modern games with warnings) can not consistently prevent slide saving, even when they are made so tight you can not nudge reasonably anymore. Unless you take something else away like nudge/tilt Warnings (which get abused by people sliding) the tilt bob isn't going to stop someone TRYING to slide..

Great, take away something most see as a legitimate part of the game (nudging), and substitute it for sliding, which most new players we see say they figured sliding the machine around would be cheating the game.

Pinball Tournaments could have Soooo many more participants if it were not for stuff like this. Here at least. It simply seems to make pinball look bad, not as "fun", and a valid reason for me to lose a bit of interest in "competitive pinball". I am not alone.

#647 4 years ago

I've got carpeted sliders so the games are easy for me to move on my hardwood floors.

But I honestly don't like it when somebody slides them while playing because I only move them when the floor is freshly cleaned, and if there is dirt or perhaps a spec of sand, there is a good chance my precious floor will get scratched.

In 50 years of playing pinball, I never once felt the need to move the game from the position it started during gameplay.

As far as nudging, that is a given, but with my well polished skills, it isn't always necessary.

Unlike some people I watch that just shake the game to shake the game.

And I keep my tilt bobs tight and perfectly centered on all games.

#648 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Ahhhh, Moved, to "Playing Tips" ???
    This topic is Not about Playing tips, it is about how all public and players view Pinball in general, as far as sliding machines being "Cheating the Game". To most people I know it doesn't count as a legitimate skill at all.
    It will need a link if it doesn't get fixed, or a new topic in "All Pinball" . This topic and poll has absolutely nothing to do with playing "tips". It is about the percepion of cheating the game contributing to putting off so many of the "new player pool" from participating in tournaments.
    The topic being Moved is not in line with category titles. Can I have a justification from a moderator please?

Well @chuckwurt, it may lead to a new topic after all, with this type of.... thing ... ?

It's not over yet.

#649 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Geez again... tilt bobs (on modern games with warnings) can not consistently prevent slide saving,

This has nothing to do with my previous comment. My previous comment was simply saying that every person I’ve ever encountered that isn’t a pinball person thinks that ANY kind of nudging or sliding is cheating. Once you explain to them it isn’t, they are fully on board.

Not sure how to make it more clear. Haha

#650 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

It's not over yet.

It is for me. I’ve had my fun. Good luck to ya.

There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.