(Topic ID: 251816)

Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?

By razorsedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 888 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll : Is a "slide save" (moving the feet) cheating the game?”

• Yes, slide saving is cheating the game. 224 votes
      35%
    • No, slide saving is not cheating the game. 425 votes
      65%

(649 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip (resized).jpg
    DSCF9520[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9521[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9522[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9523[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF9524[1] (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor-7.gif
    7DBDD358-2EAE-45C1-820F-4230E444496E (resized).jpeg
    20191001_205709 (resized).jpg
    20191001_205544 (resized).jpg
    6C765CB7-45B1-4885-9881-BCD4B1FB5C6C (resized).jpeg
    0214A096-2A32-47E6-86DB-F263995D5B4F.gif
    tenor (resized).png
    Dumpster Fire (resized).png
    64DED9EB-68EB-496D-8684-7ABF0A70B25C (resized).jpeg

There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.
    #1 4 years ago

I love pinball. I hate seeing them being abused, especially if they're mine. What led to this poll is discussion about the Legitimacy of these destructive Slide Saves. It can not be disputed that "slide saves" can often cause excessive (additional) wear and tear or damage to pinball machines. The dispute here is essentially over their Legitimacy.

It's fairly one sided here, in our real world group, but I am interested to know what the whole really thinks.

Is slide saving pinball machines (moving the machine across the floor so that the ball never goes down between the flippers) considered Cheating the Game by the average pinhead?

***Not calling Individuals Personally "cheaters". If your rules are there for it then it is not "cheating". . But about Pinball, is "slide saving" cheating The Game, it's intention and spirit. A philosophical discussion and poll.

#2 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slide-save-cheating-or-just-nudging/page/2

Some discussion on that here if you haven’t read it. 2 years old though. Some new conversation is always good

#3 4 years ago

Came here because of the thread title!

No, I think this is not cheating. I don't get how it causes additional damage to the game either. It may be a sign of an unskilled player like myself, but if you keep the tilt bob from going off, I guess it's ok

#4 4 years ago

Not cheating. Not overtly damaging to the machine, either. Set your tilts correctly and the user will pay for it.

I agree it is a bit rude to do it in someone's collection in casual play though, but more for cabinet bumpage and floor damage than anything else.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slide-save-cheating-or-just-nudging/page/2
    Some discussion on that here if you haven’t read it. 2 years old though. Some new conversation is always good

All I know is that slide saving is Not At All like nudging. The previous poll mixed that in there.

Nudging has always been pinball.

Slide saving is a Completely different kettle of fish, a new level of destruction. The gap between the flippers is intended for a ball to go between, by design. Circumventing that degrades the game in very many ways, imho.

Discuss!

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Not cheating. Not overtly damaging to the machine, either. Set your tilts correctly and the user will pay for it.
    I agree it is a bit rude to do it in someone's collection in casual play though, but more for cabinet bumpage and floor damage than anything else.

Exactly.... not be able to do it. Period. (unless it's a "new stern")

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don't get how it causes additional damage to the game either.

Are you for real??

I guess it is understandable not everyone may see how.

#8 4 years ago

Well, for my own two bobs worth it is simply blatant cheating, abuse, and bad sportsmanship. Simple as that.

I'm sure plenty will disagree... simply not welcome at our meets!

#9 4 years ago

IMHO, I would consider anything you can't do to a pin that's hypothetically bolted to the floor is questionable. You can nudge a bolted down pin but you can't slide it around.

#10 4 years ago

Slide saving is cool only if it's your game; otherwise its extremely inconsiderate nudging the table is sufficient enough for controlling the ball.

#11 4 years ago

If you don't like people sliding your games, put something on the feet that makes them hard to move - like rubber feet.

The idea that sliding a game is somehow damaging is preposterous.

#12 4 years ago

To me it is in exactly the same category as lifting the front of the game so that the ball rolls up playfield.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

If you don't like people sliding your games, put something on the feet that makes them hard to move - like rubber feet.

Yeah great, then the neanderthols rip your legs out of the cabinet instead. Fantastic!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I tend to agree that there isn’t any damage that would occur during a slide save unless the game hits something or it doesn’t slide.
    If you have the game on carpet or rubber feet hard nudging might’ve slid the game on concrete, but now all that force is transferred to the corners of the machine.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah great, then the neanderthols rip your legs out of the cabinet instead. Fantastic!

You can't be serious. This is commercial equipment meant for public use. Nobody is going to tear legs off.

#16 4 years ago

Geez I'm glad the overwhelming majority of my own pinhead mates see things the same way I do. Suck it up.

Added over 4 years ago:

*Venue Rules *Play Better (Suck it up)

Added over 4 years ago:

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You can't be serious. This is commercial equipment meant for public use. Nobody is going to tear legs off.

Unless it's a Stern on carpet with rubber feet! Pmsl!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

I tend to agree that there isn’t any damage that would occur during a slide save unless the game hits something or it doesn’t slide.
    If you have the game on carpet or rubber feet hard nudging might’ve slid the game on concrete, but now all that force is transferred to the corners of the machine.

That's crap it stresses the fu@k out of your cabinet/back legs. Exactly! ... it doesn't slide! .... wow

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Unless it's a Stern on carpet with rubber feet! Pmsl!

Sounds like you need to disable your start button and just dust the games once a week. Wouldn't want to damage them.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

To me it is in exactly the same category as lifting the front of the game so that the ball rolls up playfield.

Having a tilt bob is important. It will keep all of this from happening.
    Stopping players from sliding or lifting a game with a tilt is easier than trying to make everyone agree that sliding a game is cheating

#21 4 years ago

Super tight tilts it already is, but then one or two whinge cos they can't slide. Pmsl

PLAY BETTER...

It aint goin to last forever anyway.... why cheat the game?

Sheep stations lol

#22 4 years ago

No it's not cheating and it's a skill level some people can shake willy nilly without saving and some can do it and make a nice save. Keep your tilts tight which will make players make more subtle nudges.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Sounds like you need to disable your start button and just dust the games once a week. Wouldn't want to damage them.

Nah playing them is fine!!

Wanton destruction for ego.... get f"d.

Play Better mate!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

No it's not cheating and it's a skill level some people can shake willy nilly without saving and some can do it without. Keep your tilts tight such will make players make more subtle nudges.

I agree..... but, were talking about sliding the game across the floor! .... Not Nudging.

#25 4 years ago

If deathsaves are so bad which (unlike slide saves) are Designed Into various pinball rules and layouts...... wtf is this rubbish okay?

It's cheating. Might as well take the glass off! Pmsl

#26 4 years ago

I don't think its cheating, but I do think that any barbarian can slide a game around it takes skill to master the nudge.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I don't think its cheating, but I do think that any barbarian can slide a game around it takes skill to master the nudge.

Agree partly.... once again, specifically talking about sliding game across floor. Not Nudging.

#28 4 years ago

The big question is - If you slide save on location, do you relevel the machine after your game?

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

This sounds about right to me.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Geez I'm glad the overwhelming majority of my own pinhead mates see things the same way I do. Suck it up.

You shouldn't ask for someone's opinion then degrade them for giving it.

#31 4 years ago

Pinball used to involve gambling, back in my grandpa’s day. The question I would ask, “would the gambling establishment allow it?”

#32 4 years ago

Slide save = thug pinball.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

You shouldn't ask for someone's opinion then degrade them for giving it.

I Only refered to anyone that doesn't like that they can't slide Our pins because the tilt is tight. I can give my opinion the same as anybody.

Tilt tight (in hopes that butchers dont ruin our games).... play pinball and suck it up! ... easy!

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Are you for real??
    I guess it is understandable not everyone has an engineering degree.

Please explain the damage that occurs.

I have a machine on location and I watched a guy slide it 8-10 inches the other day to save the ball, I laughed.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Pinball used to involve gambling, back in my grandpa’s day. The question I would ask, “would the gambling establishment allow it?”

I know right!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

I know right!

Seems like now everybody kids themselves into thinking it is not cheating or an unfair advantage.

Incredible!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Please explain the damage that occurs.
    I have a machine on location and I watched a guy slide it 8-10 inches the other day to save the ball, I laughed.

I do agree that in the right (but rare, for me) conditions damage will be minimal if any..... but that does not help you when one of these types of players rip your pin sideways on carpet with grippy feet.

Explain the damage? ... really, are you that new to pinball?

Besides, it is completeny not in the spirit of the game.

#38 4 years ago

Anyone slides my EM and they will be shown the door - never to be asked back again.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

Anyone slides my EM and they will be shown the door - never to be asked back again.

The voice of reason. Same policy here mate.

#40 4 years ago

I would like to see someone "damage" a System 3 Gottlieb tank during a slide. They made those tough.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I would like to see someone "damage" a System 3 Gottlieb tank during a slide. They made those tough.

Think anyone would also have a pretty hard time sliding the Alien! Pmsl

*if they did it would cause great stress!

#42 4 years ago

Would I get kicked out of someone's basement for it, probably.

Would I get kicked out of the IFPA championship for it, no.

Slide Save = Rude <> Cheating

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Would I get kicked out of someone's basement for it, probably.
    Would I get kicked out of the IFPA championship for it, no.
    Slide Save = Rude &lt;&gt; Cheating

Exactly the issue. IFPA is wrong.

#44 4 years ago

I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is, since your mind is made up.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Explain the damage? ... really, are you that new to pinball?

Pretend I'm new and please explain it to me. I don't have an engineering degree.

I've death saved my Metallica on a carpet floor more times than you've probably hit the start button and there is absolutely no damage at all.

Quoted from razorsedge:

Besides, it is completeny not in the spirit of the game.

Who says? You?

Quoted from razorsedge:

I know right!
    Seems like now everybody kids themselves into thinking it is not cheating or an unfair advantage.
    Incredible!

It's not cheating because the accepted rules governing tournaments say it isn't cheating. You can slide save the game all day, but if it falls off the rubber feet, you get a big fat 0.

As for an unfair advantage, how do you come up with that conclusion? You're more than welcome to slide save the game if you choose.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is, since your mind is made up.

Ummm.... it's a poll, because I was interested to see what the masses believe.

Yes it is shocking.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

I love pinball. I hate seeing them being abused, especially if they're mine.

Adjust your tilt accordingly.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Pretend I'm new and please explain it to me. I don't have an engineering degree.
    I've death saved my Metallica on a carpet floor more times than you've probably hit the start button and there is absolutely no damage at all.

Who says? You?

It's not cheating because the accepted rules governing tournaments say it isn't cheating. You can slide save the game all day, but if it falls off the rubber feet, you get a big fat 0.
    As for an unfair advantage, how do you come up with that conclusion? You're more than welcome to slide save the game if you choose.

Why not just glue something in between the flippers?

Lol

#49 4 years ago

I don't think you should be able to do that to machines, but if the owner has the machine set up so you can do it without tilting/etc, then it's 'legal'. I set my machines up so that you'll tilt if you do it, and I think that should be the standard at tournaments

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from razorsedge:

Ummm.... it's a poll, because I was interested to see what the masses believe.
    Yes it is shocking.

Here's my opinion. I doubt you give half a shit about it, though.

1. I don't want players to slide save my games.
    2. The solutions are to either make a rule to keep it from happening, tighten my tilts, or add rubber feet to my games.
    3. I do the last 2 (with tilts based on what I feel is correct for each machine), and I'm happy with how it works.
    4. You apparently do the first one. Totally reasonable.

There are 888 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-what-is-a-slide-save-classed-as-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.