(Topic ID: 325238)

Poll: MSRP pricing for JJP games - TS4 going forward?

By jimwe5t

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 312 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should JJP reprice MSRP for Toy Story 4 at or any future game?”

• LEs 7500 and CEs 9500 52 votes
    18%
  • LEs 6500 and CEs 8500 21 votes
    7%
  • LEs 8500 and CEs 10500 76 votes
    26%
  • LEs 10000 and CEs 12000 60 votes
    21%
  • Its a theme I wouldn’t buy 64 votes
    22%
  • Happy to pay whatever JJP charges 15 votes
    5%

(288 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8B4E398F-14D6-4940-99BB-190191ACE942.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
9536A38C-B88F-43FF-93F4-51104BD685AD.gif
1A6EF1B0-7157-451F-B138-0D26EC0F470D (resized).jpeg
You're (resized).jpeg
C8488798-8CA7-45F5-9E24-290CF7211D56 (resized).jpeg
9A7EF8FC-CCB4-450B-88C7-AC8BA178265C (resized).jpeg
9CE8D465-A215-4DEE-AC52-E4E2D6F2B7A8 (resized).jpeg
IMG20221114213726 (resized).jpg
AF0F6FFA-C09F-4A4F-B426-5CBE734FC855 (resized).jpeg
6383CE72-BC25-4C5E-AC5C-7BA958112B9E.gif
IMG_20221113_032327 (resized).jpg
49A04780-3E79-4E3A-A7DD-F65D0F6093F1 (resized).jpeg
596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg
You're (resized).jpeg
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I listened to a lengthy Jack interview and he did NOT say that. He said they originally had TS1-3 and then there was competition for the Wonka license such that they had to move Wonka ahead of Toy Story. Then the release date for TS4 the movie got moved up. When JJP turned attention back to TS4, Disney seemed to want to shift the license to TS4 to show the newest movie and the newest animation tech.

I heard that interview as well , jjp was pushed into a corner .
I was speaking to the Australian distributor today and he said it had been selling well but not as much as GNR .
I've watched a few YouTube videos of Chicago expo and IAPPA Florida .
One was a Chicago news segment on the expo and the reporter was happily playing Toy Story even though bond is the latest and greatest and at IAPPA they said wow Toy Story , none of them complained that it was Toy Story 4 and seemed to enjoy the game . I'm sure the price of it was more of the issue than the theme .

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Contrary opinions do not equal trolling.

In other news, water remains wet...

There's a difference between having a contrary opinion, and spending most of your time on pinside starting threads and posting about games you hate. There are a handful of people on here who seem to be on a personal crusade of sorts. I was very disappointed in Ghostbusters, but I haven't started a dozen threads about how much GB sucks or posted 50+ times in every GB thread about how stupid everyone is that bought one. I haven't giving it a rating of 1.0 to knock the fans down a peg. That would be trollish behavior, imo.

I don't even care much for TS4 personally, but these patterns become pretty obvious if you read pinside enough.

#303 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

There's a difference between having a contrary opinion, and spending most of your time on pinside starting threads and posting about games you hate. There are a handful of people on here who seem to be on a personal crusade of sorts. I was very disappointed in Ghostbusters, but I haven't started a dozen threads about how much GB sucks or posted 50+ times in every GB thread about how stupid everyone is that bought one. I haven't giving it a rating of 1.0 to knock the fans down a peg. That would be trollish behavior, imo.
I don't even care much for TS4 personally, but these patterns become pretty obvious if you read pinside enough.

If you're familiar with the op's previous posts , you know its not just a contrary opinion .

#304 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

One was a Chicago news segment on the expo and the reporter was happily playing Toy Story even though bond is the latest and greatest

With both games side by side, the gen pop don’t want to play bond. Most will look at it and say, my parents watched that or that machine looks old, cause the artwork on the translight looks old. Then they look at TS and think, I’ve watched that. Pretty… Toy Story is a theme that many can relate to = TS is a good route game and not the best collector game (unless you love TS and even then the TS4 overall theme not great) Due to cost, both op and home collector are turned off. I’m not paying 12k to route TS or even 10k for used.

#305 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

With both games side by side, the gen pop don’t want to play bond. Most will look at it and say, my parents watched that or that machine looks old, cause the artwork on the translight looks old. Then they look at TS and think, I’ve watched that. Pretty… Toy Story is a theme that many can relate to = TS is a good route game and not the best collector game (unless you love TS and even then the TS4 overall theme not great) Due to cost, both op and home collector are turned off. I’m not paying 12k to route TS or even 10k for used.

Totally agree price is a massive barrier .
Younger people (non pinheads) seem to enjoy it .
Hopefully younger players will get into pinball .
Not every game has to be made for pinsiders .

#306 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I listened to a lengthy Jack interview and he did NOT say that. He said they originally had TS1-3 and then there was competition for the Wonka license such that they had to move Wonka ahead of Toy Story. Then the release date for TS4 the movie got moved up. When JJP turned attention back to TS4, Disney seemed to want to shift the license to TS4 to show the newest movie and the newest animation tech.
For me and my family, we love the TS franchise and this game plays like a Toy Story carnival adventure. It has elements of the Toy Story Midway Mania ride at Disney which is incredibly fun if you have never tried it. I have owned all JJP Lawlors and for me this one has the best combo of fun factor, theme connectivity with the family and smooth shots. It sits next to Wonka, Godzilla, Deadpool and Rick and Morty in my home. It gets played the most of these machines by my family and by visitors.
You can certainly argue that JJP should have dumped the license/burned a bridge with Pixar when there was pressure to use only TS4. But if this game actually turns out to be anything from a reasonable success to a hit (I would think 1,000 CE and 2,500 plus LEs is a hit) imagine when they go to Pixar for another mega license? JJP could reject Monsters INC 3 because they would have pages and pages of pinsiders wailing over the exclusive use of TS4 as opposed to the full library. In fact, JJP would have this argument on any license going forward. I’ll bet they will learn the lesson but I would also bet they are ultimately happy with the economic success of this title.

You’re mostly accurate, but Jack did say in an interview that it was their decision to go with ts4 and scrap the other 1-3 licenses because they thought it made more sense with the movie coming, and also the pinball story made more sense to them using the carnival. They were not required by Disney. That is a myth.

#307 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Actually jack is on record saying they had ts 1-3 originally, and could have done that, but was later offered ts4 and chose that one with the new movie coming. It was an obvious mistake!

That is so bizarre, it's almost fascinating. It would be ike them saying, yeah, we had the entire Matrix license, but we decided to just do Matrix 4 with middle-aged Keanu and the crappy actor-replacements because it was "the new movie". JJP will regret this choice for a long time, a full & toyful Toy Story could've been their Deadpool, a title they can run for several years.

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

That is so bizarre, it's almost fascinating. It would be ike them saying, yeah, we had the entire Matrix license, but we decided to just do Matrix 4 with middle-aged Keanu and the crappy actor-replacements because it was "the new movie". JJP will regret this choice for a long time, a full & toyful Toy Story could've been their Deadpool, a title they can run for several years.

Exactly! We have back to the future, but decided part 3 would be the best pinball experience. Unfortunate decision on jack and pats part

#309 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Not every game has to be made for pinsiders .

8B4E398F-14D6-4940-99BB-190191ACE942.gif8B4E398F-14D6-4940-99BB-190191ACE942.gif
#310 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

You’re mostly accurate, but Jack did say in an interview that it was their decision to go with ts4 and scrap the other 1-3 licenses because they thought it made more sense with the movie coming, and also the pinball story made more sense to them using the carnival. They were not required by Disney. That is a myth.

I think I do remember that Jack said JJP ultimately decided to go with TS4 because new movie, most technologically advanced animation and Disney wanted it. The animation experts in this forum would be able to comment but I would guess the cut scenes from Toy Story 1 (released in 1996) would look noticeably inferior to the cut scenes from Toy Story 4 (released 2019).

What is left unknown is how much pressure the notoriously difficult Disney licensing department put on JJP to go exclusively TS4. I can imagine if JJP is multiple years down the road with this license that even a strong preference of TS4 by Disney would be quite persuasive. It’s the first of hopefully many Pixar games and might as well keep the 800lb gorilla happy. The final and possibly unknowable question is whether that decision materially affected their sales. For my family, we didn’t care but we are just one family.

#311 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I think I do remember that Jack said JJP ultimately decided to go with TS4 because new movie, most technologically advanced animation and Disney wanted it. The animation experts in this forum would be able to comment but I would guess the cut scenes from Toy Story 1 (released in 1996) would look noticeably inferior to the cut scenes from Toy Story 4 (released 2019).
What is left unknown is how much pressure the notoriously difficult Disney licensing department put on JJP to go exclusively TS4. I can imagine if JJP is multiple years down the road with this license that even a strong preference of TS4 by Disney would be quite persuasive. It’s the first of hopefully many Pixar games and might as well keep the 800lb gorilla happy. The final and possibly unknowable question is whether that decision materially affected their sales. For my family, we didn’t care but we are just one family.

You’re exactly correct. He said part of the decision also was the fact that they weren’t too deep into designing ts1-3 yet due to having to switch up order of title releases. Had they started and been further into ts1-3 design, we probably would have gotten that instead.

#312 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

I mean, they did that with GnR lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 35.00
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
10,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Olive Township, NJ
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Wanted
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-ts4-will-sell-at/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.