(Topic ID: 100816)

(poll) T2 or T3 - which one is better? (vote now!)

By mof

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by renodakota
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“T2 or T3 - which game is better?”

• T2 96 votes
    57%
  • T3 72 votes
    43%

(168 votes)

#1 9 years ago

In response to the demand for a poll in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-or-t3-which-one-is-better/page/2#post-1847866
A simple poll has been created...
Have fun!
-mof

#2 9 years ago

Time to place some bets on the poll. 18 votes in, and even money.
-mof

#3 9 years ago

Tie goes to the shittier movie. Lol.

#4 9 years ago

All the money in the world that T2 comes out on top....any takers....???!!!......I don't need Arnie telling me where to shoot......lol..........Joey

#5 9 years ago

T3. Tight ramp combos, cool backbox challenge, slick metal ramps, no lame cannon (nor reliance on said cannon for the major MB scoring). No-brainer in my book. T3 has everything T2 has but better, and more, and takes out the lamest feature of T2 to boot.

#6 9 years ago

T2 is much better.

#7 9 years ago

I own a T2 so it must be the better game! ; )

#9 9 years ago

Don't look now, there's a little lead building.
-mof

#10 9 years ago

Better at game play or looks?

#11 9 years ago

T2 was great in it's day, but it's a little too dated for me.

#12 9 years ago

Still wondering *why* some people think T2 is better, as nobody but Spitfire provided a reason.

#13 9 years ago

T2 has nostalgia factor but it's barely deeper than a Sys 11 game. And the high cross playfield cannon shooting is lame imo - it's essentially the whole game. Cannons aren't my fav in the first place, but having it halfway up the pf where you can't line anything up to anything without leaving the front of the game is just not fun pinball imo. Great art and sound package for the time though and in it's day, this was an amazing machine.

T3 is a much better game from a pure gameplay standpoint. The crap music and 'artwork', and the few annoying sfx hold it back imo, but I'd own T3 before T2 in a home environment. As tight as the shots are on T3 they seem so makeable (usually heh) and the flow is very satisfying.

That said, both good games that I would drop money into on location. Neither is bad.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Still wondering *why* some people think T2 is better, as nobody but Spitfire provided a reason.

My guess is everyone knows T2 is good so a lot of people like T2 by default and many haven't had the opportunity to even play a T3 let alone put it through it's paces - T3's aren't common afaik. I'm not saying those people are necessarily voting here, but anyone who has played the machines enough can't deny T3 has more stuff to do and more ways to score points. Its art and sound package are really its only detriments.

T2 was in it's heyday on location where people wouldn't think about trapping balls and making shots in a MB - flailing around shooting balls gets you nowhere fast but when you get balls trapped on the flippers, the multiball becomes trivial if you make shots, and it's worth way too many points for how easy it becomes with repeat plays and practice.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Nostalgia for one. Just because T3 is deeper does not mean it's the better game. I always have a good time playing T2. It's fast it flows and it's fairly simple to figure out (that can be a good thing). It might not have the same longevity; especially in a small collection, but to play on occasion I'll choose it over T3 every time. (Oh,and it was a WAY better movie )

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I own a T2 so it must be the better game! ; )

I own T2 and think I like T3 more. A bit too much cannon shooting in T2 for me.

#17 9 years ago

I've owned both. T3 by a long shot.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Votes don't lie!

Sure they do

I'm willing to be that there are plenty of people who voted for T2 who have never played T3, and vice versa.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

You didn't quote my

you don't quote by default

#22 9 years ago

Owned both, sold T2, T3 is much better.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sure they do
I'm willing to be that there are plenty of people who voted for T2 who have never played T3, and vice versa.

OK, that I believe. I've played both a lot. And (broken record) NOT a fan of the importance of the cannon in T2! At least in games like STTNG and ACDC, the cannon is just part of one mode/option, not the central multiball/jackpot scoring.

The T3 RPG backbox toy can be very challenging, beyond the first mode (when it's working properly, of course!).

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sure they do

This is irrelevant....a vote is still a vote....maybe not a fair one but a vote none the less.....How many votes you think Obama got with out even knowing who the "other guys were"....I'm going to say A LOT..!!!...........Joey

#25 9 years ago

This race is far from over...
-mof

#26 9 years ago

I've played both and I like both... I can't decide between the two! D :

#27 9 years ago

If we're talking about the movies hands down t2 is far better but in terms of rules set and playability T3 is a much better pin than. (watch spida1a review on it)

#28 9 years ago

Still want a T2. T3 - ugh. Simply couldn't love it with the stupid oversized plastic head and the ping pong ball shooter,

One of the few machines I've had delivered and instantly wanted to get shot of.

For me T2 was one of the first pins I played so always wanted one.

#29 9 years ago

Have not spent tons of time on either but T3 looks pretty good based on this video:

#30 9 years ago

T2 is better and for an older game is catching up on value also.

#31 9 years ago

Yuck......the sounds are horrible on T3............Joey

#32 9 years ago

Is MOF thinking about branching out to DMD games??!!!

BTW T2 for the win by a mile.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Is MOF thinking about branching out to DMD games??!!!

Negative.
Just running a poll that was begging to be run in the other thread -- but the OP never opened it.
-mof

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Yuck......the sounds are horrible on T3............Joey

T2 is no charmer in that area either IMO.

#35 9 years ago

I was honestly going to be surprised if you actually went for a DMD and a licensed one at that.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

This is irrelevant....a vote is still a vote....maybe not a fair one but a vote none the less.....How many votes you think Obama got with out even knowing who the "other guys were"....I'm going to say A LOT..!!!...........Joey

It is quite relevant. If a person is asking for opinions on which game is better, they want INFORMED opinions. Not just Homer-esque "I own this game, never saw the other one, so mine is better" votes.

At the very least, beyond the apparently uninformed votes, it would be nice to see reasons WHY people think one game is better than the other. Have yet to see a single defensible reason why T2 > T3. (not surprising)

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Have yet to see a single defensible reason why T2 > T3. (not surprising)

Then you haven't been reading.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

it would be nice to see reasons WHY people think one game is better than the other.

Agreed.
Unfortunately, few seem to have the time/patience/information to post "why" on the inter-webs...

I would assert that "familiarity" trumps "thoughtful comparison" most of the time in these here polls on Pinside.
-mof

#39 9 years ago

I own both, all I can say is T3 will leave before T2 ever will.

There probably is a nostalgia factor involved, can't deny it, but if the 2 games were sitting side by side and I could only play one, T2 would get my quarters. Art and sound play a part, T2 is just a better looking game, very true to the movie, while T3 is simply sup par in both.

I'm certainly not saying T3 is a bad game, it's one of only 3 Sterns I own, and it does have a deeper ruleset, but T2 is just a more enjoyable pinball experience.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

it would be nice to see reasons WHY people think one game is better than the other.

I like T2's cannon way better then the RPG toy and it is better integrated. The "shoot here, then here" is annoying as hell in T3, I like the music and sounds in T2 better. The T2 exoskeleton is cool and visually stunning, and actually does something with the ball lock and shooting through the wire form to the cannon. The big useless Arnold head that does absolutely nothing and looks hideous is super lame. This is all my opinion of course, but that is what op is looking for, our opinions.

#41 9 years ago

I like the art package for T2 much more than T3, in fact I think the artwork on the PF for t3 looks low res and blurry. I like the overall blues of T2 as well. Not a huge fan of either translite but T2 wins between them.

I like the skillshot on T2, it's low risk but still fun.

I like the multiball on T2 where depending on how many balls you lock the higher the jackpot, it takes pinball skill to do that, then you have to master the cannon which is a fun toy and a crowd pleaser for non pinheads.

I like the music on T2 and the callouts have never bothered me.

Lastly, nostalgia. T2 was my favorite movie when it came out at the time, and the game was one of the first pinball machines I really got into at a young age. Whereas I have never even seen T3.

1 week later
#42 9 years ago

79-58, the results are not very definitive just yet...
-mof

#43 9 years ago

I think the results are definitive, people choose t2 and I'm not surprised. Obliviously t2 has more exposure. I didn't vote because I own both and like each for its own uniqueness. It just depends on whether you like simple shots and simple type game VS more complicated deeper type game. T2 wins in movie, art, innovation, and nostalgia. T3 has about the rest. Both are really good games in their own right. I don't see why a person would have to choose one over the other, but I guess that's the world we live in today. Todd Scott

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

T2 wins in movie, art, innovation, and nostalgia. T3 has about the rest. Both are really good games in their own right.

I owned both for extended periods of time and agree with the above 100%.

#45 9 years ago
2 weeks later
#46 9 years ago

T2 for the win......!!!.....hasta la vista T3.............Joey

#47 9 years ago

I really like T2 much better.

-It has a more attractive art package
-While having a much less deep ruleset, I find the flow and layout superior. The shots are more satisfying from my perspective. Many shots are very similar between the two, but T3's seem "abbreviated" and don't get me going quite the same way.
-Sound is basically a tie IMO (and not a great one), but I give the music edge to T2
-Don't so much mind that the cannon plays prominently into the game

#48 9 years ago

T2 looks and sounds better but I never played much of it when it was new so I'm lacking the nostalgia.
If I was going to own one I would take t-3.
Has anyone changed the call outs and music with the pin browser? That would make it a great game imo.
I play a t3 at a laundromat near me often and I like it alot, the noise from it though is awful and I feel bad if it's quiet in there when I play. If I get tired of hearing Shoot Heeeere and Heeere while i'm flipping I can't imagine how awful it is for anyone else in the room.

Yes it's ugly and sounds awful but the dots are nice, great combos, good shots, it's fast, and I love metal ramps.
The rpg gets old really quick though, and I love NBA Fastbreak.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.95
$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-t2-or-t3-which-one-is-better-vote-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.