(Topic ID: 177122)

Poll: Swappable playfields or permanent cabinet art?

By Pinzap

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What are your thoughts on swappable playfield?”

• Gameplay is king... would buy it in a cardboard box if doesn't affect gameplay 7 votes
    11%
  • Gameplay is key, and the swappable cabinets also look pretty nice with the insert art. Would buy. 32 votes
    50%
  • Theme is important to my display of the machine in my Home. Don't like the insert art cabinets, but would reluctantly buy. 7 votes
    11%
  • Theme and display is important enough that I would not buy swappable playfield cabinets. 18 votes
    28%

(64 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Been monitoring a few other topics about manufacturers that offer games with swappable playfields. No hard count, but there appears to be mixed reviews and as usual some people as so entrenched in their thoughts and assume anyone thinking otherwise is crazy (wouldn't be pinside otherwise, right?). So please chime in and let everyone know your thoughts.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Not a cardboard box... But a crap wooden box, sure!

Yeah, was thinking that might be what people would infer... or heck, just make it a super-thick-epoxy-impreganated-cardboard-carbon-fiber-recycled-plastic-box if gameplay is all that matters and it's rigid enough.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Now, if the swappable art covered the real estate of a dedicated cabinet, would that have an affect?

To me personally, that would be the best of all options. If you had some type of magnetic stick on panels that basically looked like a traditional cabinet, then the swappable-look of the inserts that is my biggest issue would go away for the most part. Then I would agree that your just getting a cabinet that "could" be swapped, but doesn't necessarily have to be. And still looks great.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

Your super support option is so negative.....I love the idea of a swappable cabinet and think Highway has done a fantastic job. Too me they look way better than 'pretty nice'.....but then the top option is that I supposedly just don't give a shit about cabinets at all if I enthusiastically support Heighway's system. Bullshit bias baked right into a bullshit poll. You don't like Heighway's swappable cabinet and every option on your poll steers people to your predetermined opinion. Theme and look looks are tantamount to me, but that has no bearing over the concept of 'swappable games", especially when done as thoughtfully as Heighway (your last choice makes it an either or position). You wanted opinions? Thats mine.

Hmmm.... can't please everyone I guess. The numbers in the poll show that over 75% would still buy the swappable playfield so according to your logic I must have done a bad job of steering people towards the answer "I was looking for".

But I won't be baited into an argument just because you didn't agree with the 4 choices I posted. It's impossible to post unlimited amount of choices for a poll of this type. If I can figure out how to change the wording or options, I will. I can maybe see your point on re-reading because I didn't offer an option that says there's no problem and these are the best pins ever made. I'm sure there are more than 4 bins of possible opinions, but I did get the data I was hoping to get, which is how many would buy swappable playfields and how many wouldn't based on aesthetics.

Maybe I should do a poll on my ability to create polls. Already have 1 not in favor. That's a start.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-swappable-playfields-or-permanent-cabinet-art?tu=Pinzap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.