(Topic ID: 177122)

Poll: Swappable playfields or permanent cabinet art?

By Pinzap

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What are your thoughts on swappable playfield?”

• Gameplay is king... would buy it in a cardboard box if doesn't affect gameplay 6 votes
    10%
  • Gameplay is key, and the swappable cabinets also look pretty nice with the insert art. Would buy. 32 votes
    52%
  • Theme is important to my display of the machine in my Home. Don't like the insert art cabinets, but would reluctantly buy. 7 votes
    11%
  • Theme and display is important enough that I would not buy swappable playfield cabinets. 17 votes
    27%

(62 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

Been monitoring a few other topics about manufacturers that offer games with swappable playfields. No hard count, but there appears to be mixed reviews and as usual some people as so entrenched in their thoughts and assume anyone thinking otherwise is crazy (wouldn't be pinside otherwise, right?). So please chime in and let everyone know your thoughts.

#2 2 years ago

Now, if the swappable art covered the real estate of a dedicated cabinet, would that have an affect?

#3 2 years ago

Not a cardboard box... But a crap wooden box, sure!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Not a cardboard box... But a crap wooden box, sure!

Yeah, was thinking that might be what people would infer... or heck, just make it a super-thick-epoxy-impreganated-cardboard-carbon-fiber-recycled-plastic-box if gameplay is all that matters and it's rigid enough.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Now, if the swappable art covered the real estate of a dedicated cabinet, would that have an affect?

This is how the P3 is designed. If you want to keep one game in your machine for an extended period of time and leave that game's artwork on it, you'll have a completely traditional looking cabinet. Well, it'll be 'almost' traditional-looking. We frame the cabinet artwork (side panels) with 1.75" raised trim to give it a more defined presentation.

You can of course also swap it as much as you want and it'll still present as a traditional-looking machine.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

To me personally, that would be the best of all options. If you had some type of magnetic stick on panels that basically looked like a traditional cabinet, then the swappable-look of the inserts that is my biggest issue would go away for the most part. Then I would agree that your just getting a cabinet that "could" be swapped, but doesn't necessarily have to be. And still looks great.

#7 2 years ago

Your super support option is so negative.....I love the idea of a swappable cabinet and think Highway has done a fantastic job. Too me they look way better than 'pretty nice'.....but then the top option is that I supposedly just don't give a shit about cabinets at all if I enthusiastically support Heighway's system. Bullshit bias baked right into a bullshit poll. You don't like Heighway's swappable cabinet and every option on your poll steers people to your predetermined opinion. Theme and look looks are tantamount to me, but that has no bearing over the concept of 'swappable games", especially when done as thoughtfully as Heighway (your last choice makes it an either or position). You wanted opinions? Thats mine.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

Your super support option is so negative.....I love the idea of a swappable cabinet and think Highway has done a fantastic job. Too me they look way better than 'pretty nice'.....but then the top option is that I supposedly just don't give a shit about cabinets at all if I enthusiastically support Heighway's system. Bullshit bias baked right into a bullshit poll. You don't like Heighway's swappable cabinet and every option on your poll steers people to your predetermined opinion. Theme and look looks are tantamount to me, but that has no bearing over the concept of 'swappable games", especially when done as thoughtfully as Heighway (your last choice makes it an either or position). You wanted opinions? Thats mine.

Hmmm.... can't please everyone I guess. The numbers in the poll show that over 75% would still buy the swappable playfield so according to your logic I must have done a bad job of steering people towards the answer "I was looking for".

But I won't be baited into an argument just because you didn't agree with the 4 choices I posted. It's impossible to post unlimited amount of choices for a poll of this type. If I can figure out how to change the wording or options, I will. I can maybe see your point on re-reading because I didn't offer an option that says there's no problem and these are the best pins ever made. I'm sure there are more than 4 bins of possible opinions, but I did get the data I was hoping to get, which is how many would buy swappable playfields and how many wouldn't based on aesthetics.

Maybe I should do a poll on my ability to create polls. Already have 1 not in favor. That's a start.

#9 2 years ago

In the home market, swappable playfields make a lot of sense, so long as they can be stored easily and swapped easily. In the operator market, it isn't often that you just want to swap playfields but then you retire the rest of the game. Pins route for a long, long time, and it isn't like there are that many route operators that are like, "Hey, the VUK died, let's take the playfield back to the shop and put in a new one to sit on it for a while!" Most will just buy the part and put it back out to earn money immediately.

A playfield without a cabinet doesn't earn any money. Where that matters, matters. Williams made Congo playfield swap kits back in the day. Almost no one took them up on it.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

If you had some type of magnetic stick on panels that basically looked like a traditional cabinet, then the swappable-look of the inserts that is my biggest issue would go away for the most part.

As Gerry said above, see the Multimorphic P3, this is exactly how it is designed.

Quoted from Pinzap:

I can maybe see your point on re-reading because I didn't offer an option that says there's no problem and these are the best pins ever made.

It's tricky to make a good poll and they can't be changed afterwards because people have already voted. I get why you set it up like you did, your answers are all geared towards whether or not Heighway's cabinets are a negative thing for potential buyers because that is the issue for you. However, as you acknowledged, there is not option for those people that think having a swappable playfield is a positive thing which would make them more likely to buy a Heighway game.

#11 2 years ago

Swappable playfields or permanent cabinet art? Why not have both at the same time? If you have 10 minutes, the physical cabinet front and sides can be replaced easily.

Apologies I haven't read through this thread yet but I think I get the gist. Here is something Andrew had to say from the Official Aliens thread a year ago in the quote below. Remember, Heighway has smartly designed in modularity and with that idea, swappable full cabinet panels are possible (not talking about the swappable lighted art panels). I think we could have the best of both worlds by having dedicated full cabinet art replacement panels with pemenant dedicated art decals and the lit up interior replaceable light signs on both sides of the cabinet at the same time that could change with theme for people that just have to have themed art all over the cabinet sides. As a bonus everything remains swappable so no one would get left behind with a fixed cabinet if a dream theme comes along and space is a factor. As for as a traditonally shaped backbox with dedicated art on the sides... leave that to the Heighway team should they decide to design a traditional back box but with swappable side panels. Just thinking out loud...

Here is the quote about replaceable cabinet side panels (that could be covered in themed art possibly)

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We have all seen how tatty cabinets can become over time. Worse still, vandalism can make a game look very poor. Nobody likes to see "I LOVE MY MOM" etched into a cabinet side! So, it's a good time to report that even the cabinet side panels, cabinet front panel and backbox front frame are all interchangable too. This means that should a panel ever become damaged, for example, then it can be easily replaced. In the future, new trims will be available to allow customers to fully customise their machines. For example, your sitting room may have a lot of pine in it. So, you will be able to purchase a pine-effect trim package for your cabinet in the future to allow your game to really blend into its environment. Such a changeover should take no more than 10 minutes.

If Heighway should decide to design a traditional back box but with swappable art side panels for it I vote they should be liighted like the lit swappable cabinet side art panels. Innovation!

#12 2 years ago

I vote keep the swapable playfield but have the option of a dedicated cabinet. No reason they can't coexist.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 9,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside