Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 178 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Borntolose
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll: RUSH (the band) Pinball Machine”

• I would be interested in a RUSH (the band) pinball machine!!! 169 votes
      45%
    • I am not interested in this theme. 209 votes
      55%

(378 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200816_160548 (resized).jpg
    20200816_160334 (resized).jpg
    20200816_160346 (resized).jpg
    rush 1 (resized).jpg
    rush 2 (resized).jpg
    rush 3 (resized).jpg
    rediscovered-4-s (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    DFFC5E82-C7A4-466F-93F4-01D9200F058D (resized).jpeg
    real-men-wear-kimonos (resized).jpg
    picAlbumMIN013 (resized).jpg
    008 (resized).JPG
    002 (resized).JPG
    001 (resized).JPG
    F3006EDC-22C4-4867-8C4A-02B8FC4F4C03.gif
    There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

well I guess everyone has a opinion.. but sorry yours is wrong.. Rush's first album was just ok, but after Rutsey was replaced with Peart ( for creative reasons as Rutsey just did not have the chops nor was he at the level of musicianship that Ged and Alex was at that time) the band really shined.. 2112 is considered one of their greatest albums, if not just for the sheer scale of the work, but the broad echoism of Ayn Rand that Peart brought to the lyrics.. Without Peart there would be no Moving Pictures,( Tom Sawyer, YYZ, etc) No Hemispheres, ( Book I II, Cygnus X-1, the Trees, La Villa ) and the list goes on and on and on. If you consider their first album to be their best work then im sorry my friend you are hugely mistaken in this area.
    But Like I said, everyone is entitled to a opinion.

Rutsey quit, he was not directly replaced by Peart for quite a while. He quit because he had diabetes, and was realizing he would be unable to manage it on the road. They added Peart months later - it was nothing to do directly with his skill level, although once Neil joined, I'm sure they realized what they'd been missing.

The Ayn Rand-ish stuff is an unfortunate chapter in Peart's grand book of lyrics. He always maintained it was not an intentional rip-off or homage of anything specific of hers (though clearly they were reading her stuff at the time - hello, "Anthem"!), but in later years he is on record as being regretful that he and the band were ever associated with her nonsense.

#152 4 years ago

I would definitely be in for a Rush pin. I have always gravitated towards the original material Fly by Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures. But I dropped off after Moving apictures because of the change towards more synthesizers. Going back to it now, they did find their groove a couple albums in after that. And there's some very good material. Overall a Rush pin would be a great idea. Tons of fanbase and a plethora of musical choices and themes to go with it.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Rutsey quit, he was not directly replaced by Peart for quite a while. He quit because he had diabetes, and was realizing he would be unable to manage it on the road. They added Peart months later - it was nothing to do directly with his skill level, although once Neil joined, I'm sure they realized what they'd been missing.
    The Ayn Rand-ish stuff is an unfortunate chapter in Peart's grand book of lyrics. He always maintained it was not an intentional rip-off or homage of anything specific of hers (though clearly they were reading her stuff at the time - hello, "Anthem"!), but in later years he is on record as being regretful that he and the band were ever associated with her nonsense.

I would ask you to watch one of the many documentary already made about Rush and how Rutsey was asked to leave the band due to many reasons, (health being the one of them) But no one can deny that Alex and Geddys musical prowess was well beyond what Rutsey was capable of. They knew that if John stayed their music would suffer greatly. here is just one clip..

Also, you have to realize that Rush is Canadian and as such they are extremely polite ( and they are just nice people too) and do not want to disparage John and his abilities in any way, that would be like pouring salt on a already open wound. So of course they will site " health" as the obvious issue, but every true rush fan knows that Johns ability was not up to snuff..

I heard a quote one time that someone close to the band said John was dumbfounded when he first heard the riff to Anthem.. That most likely set the wheels in motion to replace John.

Also, can you point me to any specific rush quotes as them being regretful towards the Ayn Rand influences? I think one thing about Rush is that they have always evolved and never looked back to what they have done in the past. I've never heard Neil say he regretted reading the works of Rand, I think he reads a absorbent amount of stuff and takes everything with a grain of salt. He is a super smart guy with a big brain for sure.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

I would ask you to watch one of the many documentary already made about Rush and how Rutsey was asked to leave the band due to many reasons, (health being the one of them) But no one can deny that Alex and Geddys musical prowess was well beyond what Rutsey was capable of. They knew that if John stayed their music would suffer greatly. here is just one clip..
    Also, you have to realize that Rush is Canadian and as such they are extremely polite ( and they are just nice people too) and do not want to disparage John and his abilities in any way, that would be like pouring salt on a already open wound. So of course they will site " health" as the obvious issue, but every true rush fan knows that Johns ability was not up to snuff..
    I heard a quote one time that someone close to the band said John was dumbfounded when he first heard the riff to Anthem.. That most likely set the wheels in motion to replace John.

Also, can you point me to any specific rush quotes as them being regretful towards the Ayn Rand influences? I think one thing about Rush is that they have always evolved and never looked back to what they have done in the past. I've never heard Neil say he regretted reading the works of Rand, I think he reads a absorbent amount of stuff and takes everything with a grain of salt. He is a super smart guy with a big brain for sure.

Whatever you say

Here’s an example of Neil evolving from his past views:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/qa-neil-peart-on-rushs-new-lp-and-being-a-bleeding-heart-libertarian-248712/

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

If I were to get a Rush pinball machine I'd want the song selection to be primarily drawn from their 1st album.
    I remember when Rush' iconic debut album was released in 1974. I was 14 years old and was riding in the back seat of my best friend's big brother's 1967 Buick Skylark when "In The Mood" came on the radio. It was all fresh and the 1st time we had heard of Rush.
    We drove right down to the mall and I bought the 8-track tape and played the living crap out of it.
    As far as I'm concerned their 1st album was by-far their best. I remember when 2112 came out. Still OK but not the same raw edge that their 1st album had.
    You can say the same about a lot of great bands. They had their entire lives to come up with the material on their debut album.[quoted image]

Did Neil run over your dog or something? While I appreciate ALL rush albums I bet you are a 1% majority that thinks the debut album is their best work. But that's the beautiful thing about music, its art, its subjective, and we all find things that connect and take hold of us.

#156 4 years ago

so If your referring to this little passage from the interview, I think your taking it way out of context..

"Rolling Stone - This is somewhat random, but you were interested in the writings of Ayn Rand decades ago. Do her words still speak to you?

Neil Peart - Oh, no. That was 40 years ago. But it was important to me at the time in a transition of finding myself and having faith that what I believed was worthwhile."

All Neil says is that the words of Ayn Rand dont really speak to him anymore but they were important to him at the time.. so Im not sure what your getting at.. I did not read any sense of regret into that statement at all.. In fact he goes on to say that while it was important to him at the time, it helped create a foundation for what Rush was to become.

3 months later
    #158 4 years ago

We need to make sure this game gets made people! RIP Neil, thank you for the musical gifts you gave us.

#159 4 years ago

Neal Peart will be sorely missed. Besides being the greatest rock drummer ever, he wrote a majority of Rush’s songs. He was a massive talent and I want a Rush pin in a bad way. (Queen, VH and Zepplin too) I’m looking at you Spooky...

2 months later
    #160 4 years ago

Bumping this from the depths to say that I’m a NIB buyer for a rush pin made by jjp, spooky, stern, or anyone else.

#161 4 years ago

I too would be a NIB buyer but only if it's a unique game. if stern continues down the path of re-theming older machines (beatles from seawitch, primus from whoa nelly!) I don't think I would be there with money in hand

the game really needs to be something special like stern did with ac/dc or metallica

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I too would be a NIB buyer but only if it's a unique game. if stern continues down the path of re-theming older machines (beatles from seawitch, primus from whoa nelly!) I don't think I would be there with money in hand
    the game really needs to be something special like stern did with ac/dc or metallica

I agree with your comments.

#163 4 years ago

I like the band rush. We don’t need a machine based on them. Bye.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aphex:

I like the band rush. We don’t need a machine based on them. Bye.

I disagree with your second comment.

#165 4 years ago

Would love to see a Rush pinball!

4 months later
    #166 3 years ago

A Rush pinball does exist. Only 2 made. Getaway II conversion.

rush 1 (resized).jpgrush 1 (resized).jpgrush 2 (resized).jpgrush 2 (resized).jpgrush 3 (resized).jpgrush 3 (resized).jpg

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Is there a thread on the build out ?

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What songs are integrated?

#171 3 years ago

My buddy has Neil Peart's drum set in his basement. I took a few pictures of my 9 year old playing it. The sound of the wood blocks and the cow bells is so distinct I can pick them out on their old songs.
    20200816_160334 (resized).jpg20200816_160334 (resized).jpg20200816_160346 (resized).jpg20200816_160346 (resized).jpg20200816_160548 (resized).jpg20200816_160548 (resized).jpg

#172 3 years ago

I'd be happy with a Stern Aerosmith reskin into 2112. The animation is already done

#173 3 years ago

Interesting rearrangement with the SC ramp parts...and we have drop targets! Wonder how this works with the right orbit shot without things getting in the way? I'm thinking the SC divert part doesn't move?

1 month later
    #174 3 years ago

LE for me - can't wait to play Xanadu mode and get trapped in the Pleasure Dome! How would you limit a machine to only their top-100 songs?? Keith, you listening????

#175 3 years ago

yes I would.love this as a game theme. I doubt it will ever be made now....

1 year later
    #176 2 years ago

Rush pinball would be a day 1 preorder for sure

#177 2 years ago

Well good news for you then.
    It is coming within the next 2 to 3 Stern releases, and rumor states J Borg is designing.

There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-rush-the-band-pinball-machine/page/4?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.