• 2008 10 votes
    3%
  • 2007 or earlier 100 votes
    33%
  • I don't own any pinballs 8 votes
    3%

(305 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture-265.JPG

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I created this same poll a year ago, and it showed a strong surge of new pinball owners. I'm doing it again to see if the surge is holding or whether we have in fact peaked. New blood is essential to the health of the scene by bringing space and cash into the pin economy.

When did you buy your first machine?

#2 5 years ago

389 votes last year, lets see how we do this year.

#3 5 years ago

Bought my first machine, Star Trek, this year. Hopefully I can save up and get a cheap one like LAH or PZ

#4 5 years ago

Not seeing 1986 on the poll.

#5 5 years ago

1990 - Space Invaders - still have it.

Thanks for asking.

#6 5 years ago

i'm on year 10 right now. Back in the day when you had to know how to fix stuff if you wanted to own any.

#7 5 years ago

I found room for one more so I crammed it in.......but that's it I swear.

#8 5 years ago

Chris,
You need more dates.

Made the pleasant mistake of buying our first Pin in 1998.

Current collection varies from 24-28 with Pred,TH & TWD-LE on order.

On top of that my Repair & Restoration wait/backlog is currently six months.

#9 5 years ago

Hoping to get my first in 2014, but seems unlikely right now... unless I win one of the Project Pinball machines.

#10 5 years ago

Old fart here - early 1980's. I was at my peak of 50+ games in the mid 1990's, buying, selling, repairing.

#11 5 years ago

Yesterday.

#12 5 years ago

The question wasn't "when were you born?"

#13 5 years ago

I know I'm outside your desired demographics.

Sorry

#14 5 years ago

Just bought my first pin last weekend (LOTR).

I've played digital pins for years on multiple platforms, but this is my first pin in real life.

Loving it so far!

#15 5 years ago

1997-ish back when RGP was legit. Bought a Skateball and Space Riders.

#19 5 years ago

Played pins in my parents' basement growing up but Whirlwind was my first in 2012.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#20 5 years ago

Bought my first pin ST pro last month. Saving for TWD LE and thinking of pulling the trigger on one if it's good with voice call outs

#21 5 years ago

I had never thought about pinball until March of 2013. I thought it would be cool to have a KISS machine for my rock n roll memorabilia collection, so I bought one. Now six machines later, I'm full-on addicted to the hobby and will likely buy 20 more in the coming years or until I run out of room.

#22 5 years ago

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I created this same poll a year ago, and it showed a strong surge of new pinball owners. I'm doing it again to see if the surge is holding or whether we have in fact peaked. New blood is essential to the health of the scene by bringing space and cash into the pin economy.
When did you buy your first machine?

Even with the strong surge of people buying their first pinball machine, I feel we are seeing an oversupply of games and a correction and maybe crash will blah, blah, blah...........

#24 5 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the great start.

Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Chris,
You need more dates.

I've added as many as the system will allow. It has to match last year's poll so it can be as scientific as possible, so I can't group them too much, and it is primarily to see the picture of the recent boom period of the last 2-3 years.

Here are the results from last year's poll.

Capture-265.JPG

#25 5 years ago

#26 5 years ago

#27 5 years ago

Nevar.

#28 5 years ago

I got in early 2013 and I am not annoyed that I got in late and missed the $1500 WH2O's what so ever, but it bothers me that I got in late and missed years of playing such a fun game.

Edit: WH20 for $800!

Post edited by pinnyheadhead: WH20 was only $800!

#29 5 years ago

1999 - NGG for 1700. In 2000 Totan for 2000, TZ for 1700 (from RGPer Ed Loco RIP), 2001 IJ for 1700, 2002 WH20 for 800. Good times.

#30 5 years ago

2012, I'm one of those dirty The Pinball Arcade people. I paid $3,400 for a T2 and HS2 with some problems but in nice shape that I've since fixed up.

#31 5 years ago

I bought my first two this year. I was turned back onto pinball because of discovering Pinball Arcade a year or so prior.

Before that, I played pretty much every on-location pin I stumbled across ever since I was a kid, but they have largely disappeared over the years, and the ones that were still on route were poorly maintained.

Course, the two I bought were projects, so neither is in working order yet...

#32 5 years ago

I'm a Pinball Arcade guy as well. I wonder how much of the surge is tied into that?

#33 5 years ago

Yikes. We are losing old timers!

#34 5 years ago

I got in very early 2012 officially, though I put the down payment in late 2011. Wish I knew about buying pins before that. I'd always loved pinball and played every location I could find, but never thought about actually owning one. Then I found out a Dr Who machine had been made and I had to have it. Bought that, enjoyed it for about 6 months, then the sickness settled in and I met the local pinball crew and started buying like crazy. 33 machine entered last weekend, 34 will be here end of the month.

#35 5 years ago

Slight dip so far on 2014 but still respectable. We'll see how it holds up as the votes come in.

I do agree with the comments that there is a ton of product coming onto the market and the numbers aren't rising enough to support them. So there will be some blood on the floor over the next year most likely.

#36 5 years ago

I went to the Music and Gaming festival in D.C. the past two years, where they had a dozen or so machines on free play. That rekindled my passion and got me to take the plunge!

#37 5 years ago

8/26/2012...........Have 7 now! Out of room sadly.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Just bought my first pin last weekend (LOTR).
I've played digital pins for years on multiple platforms, but this is my first pin in real life.
Loving it so far!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the LOTR so far. Hopefully, it will be a good performer for you for a long time.

Dave

#39 5 years ago

2008 for the first
Around 2011 is when lt really took off

#40 5 years ago

Bought my first in July. I have four now. Haha

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Bought my first in July. I have four now. Haha

Exactly why its so important for the new blood to keep coming in.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Exactly why its so important for the new blood to keep coming in.

Always wanted a pin, had certain ones in mind. Just didn't realize there are so many awesome pins that I never knew about. Makes it way easier to get into the hobby if you don't concentrate on the name recognition, and more importantly ones that really speak to you. Also I reccomend getting a couple beaters and work on them to really appreciate the hobby. I love it obviously.

#43 5 years ago

I got my first pin in 2014 or about a month ago. I would come across arcades now and then but would rarely see pinball machines. I honestly thought they quit making them. I found pinball arcade on my ipad and enjoyed revisiting old pins. I discovered that pinball is a lot more fun if you know the rules. In the past, I liked pinball but never knew any of the rules. I always wanted my own arcade so I decided to take the plunge. Part of the fun is that my kids and guests can enjoy it, too. The downside is all the $$$.

#44 5 years ago

1991-The wife bought Diner.A mint diamondplated beauty for $900

#45 5 years ago

1994-Jungle Lord....then Black Knight 2000.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I always wanted my own arcade so I decided to take the plunge. Part of the fun is that my kids and guests can enjoy it, too.

Me too. Started with a single pin, and then led to buildin a real arcade in my basement

http://www.frolicsarcade.com

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Me too. Started with a single pin, and then led to buildin a real arcade in my basement
http://www.frolicsarcade.com

That's what I'm talking about. Nice lineup!

#48 5 years ago

This year, few days ago. I wish I had bought some carrying harness or something. Was a bitch to get into the basement.

#49 5 years ago

200+ votes so far, thanks. Last year we got 389 so 1/2 way there.

#50 5 years ago

Uh oh. The revival peak was 2013 by the looks. Some of the blood on that floor might be mine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 39.50
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Howell, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 1,000.00
$ 16.00
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Bay Village, OH
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside