(Topic ID: 89238)

Poll: Original in mint condition vs. Restored with decals and CC'd playfield

By VolunteerPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which would you choose?”

• All-original 30 votes
      70%
    • Restored with new decals and CC'd playfield 13 votes
      30%

(43 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

All other things being equal (price, mods, etc.) would you choose an original pin with nice cab and no fade or a pin which has new decals but a restored and a newly CC'd Playfield?

#2 9 years ago

whichever one had the better playfield would be the one that i would take... that is where the ball rolls...

#3 9 years ago

I'd take the first one and CC that sucka

#5 9 years ago

^^^^

? OG ...Oh Gee,I don't know
    Oh God what a pin
    On Going decision

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

^^^^
    ? OG ...Oh Gee,I don't know
    Oh God what a pin
    On Going decision

original gangsta. he would take the original one...

#7 9 years ago

which ever was cheaper

#8 9 years ago

I thought maybe you "O-g'd...over golded"

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

which ever was cheaper

For sake of argument same price.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

whichever one had the better playfield would be the one that i would take... that is where the ball rolls...

^^Pretty much this.

#11 9 years ago

I'd go original then clear coat the playfield myself

#12 9 years ago

How can you compare anything to an original pin in mint condition and have a tough decision? Now, if it is not truly mint condition, well...

#13 9 years ago

'Tis why I was asking. I was curious to know if a CC'd playfield offsets the original cab assuming the pins are the same price. Just trying to learn. Personally, I'm not the type of guy who would strip a playfield down, clear-coat it and then reassemble. Probably out of my skill level and certainly not conducive to my life's schedule.

#14 9 years ago

Someone please define "mint". As for pinball, I have always understood it to be meaningless, unless it truly has only been played a handful of times. In that case than an original mint machine is a no-brainer decision.

#15 9 years ago

For Diamondplate and later games I would rather have a mint original. I'm not a fan of cabinet decals and I think a lot of times original games play better than restored games that usually have thicker clearcoat and often cheaper quality repro parts.

For pre-diamond plate games with mylar (Sys 11) and earlier games I'd make an exception just to have a better protected/better looking playfield.

#16 9 years ago

no reason to clear coat unless you don't know how to keep a play field cleaned, polished and waxed at all times. wear comes from people not keeping a game play field clean and never changing balls.

#17 9 years ago

It is very subjective. I've been there twice recently and it ended up in a split decision. I sold the HUO all original and mint TAF in favor of a pimped alternative, but kept the beautiful original Centaur and sold the one with the CPR pf.

Go figure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-original-in-mint-condition-vs-restored-with-decals-and-ccd-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.