wpc91all.jpg
untitled-385.png
UL.jpg
MMR-homer-stern.jpg
Expo 338.JPG
Expo 340.JPG
Expo 341.JPG
Expo 329.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#75 9 years ago

Don't take these poll results too seriously. There's nothing to stop folks from the anti-MMR contingent from voting "out" when they were never in in the first place.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

or the pro MMr contingent from voting "in"

Those people are in.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

The ones at Expo did not have a full color DMD. The one I played was blue and was not a good match for the game.

the screen is full color and which color it displays is selectable through the menu. PPS has said a software update later will add full-color animations.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I'm in from day one,but I have some concerns and looking for anyone at the show to shed some light and or advice.I just talked to a friend at the show and his opinion on MMR was, Cabinet art was blurry? Translite looked bad and game felt cheap ?

have not heard that about the artwork from a single other person, no. EDIT: never mind, i just saw Aurich say up close it looked a little blurry. i certainly trust his judgment.

Can anyone tell me if those games at expo are prototype games ? Or is this exactly what I'm getting?

they are what you are getting, they were built from production parts.

I'm hearing board problems?

no, there are no known board problems. there are a lot of people who want there to be board problems, though. i think the board will be great, and a major step forward for pinball tech in terms of maintenance. as a stress test, PPS strapped a shaker motor directly to the board and ran the shaker for 250 hours straight and the board still worked fine after that.

And the fact almost half the orders are cancelled?

this is NOT a fact by any means. some people have cancelled, sure, but there are a contingent of people on here who want MMR to fail and they are no doubt voting "out" when they were never really in in the first place. pathetic, but true. please do not take online polls as "fact".

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

The 3 pre-orders in our area also cancelled. Had Rick stuck with just 1000 'LEs' I know at least 2 of us would still be in.

Every LE that Stern makes, they make an "unlimited" number of non-LEs as well. Plus Rick left the door open from day one that standard MMRs could be made if demand was there.

neither the surprise nor the outrage over that decision has ever made any sense to me.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Rick: here's your customer base. 90% of us are in at 5-6K, My PSRP (player suggested retail price) would be $5750 for a remake. Think you can make a profit if you quadruple your sales?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-your-line-in-the-sand-for-nib-pins

quadruple??? i don't think there is a market for 4000 AFMs regardless of price.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Assuming there would be 1000 AFMr sold at $8k... which seems extremely unlikely.

i don't think that has ever been the plan.

#170 9 years ago

selling out a huge percentage of the games before they're even manufactured is still a huge accomplishment, whether it's 50% or 80% or whatever. in terms of games #2 and #3, a lot will depend on how these games are received once they arrive in homes. If the tech holds up, and PPS is responsive to what problems arise, and follows through on the colorDMD software update, etc, then that will go a long way towards reducing the perceived risk that is currently holding some buyers back.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

So true. If they would have just remade the game part for part, I think it would have done well sales wise.

it also would have cost $15,000.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I was in PPS seminar. An almost exact quote was, "I don't care how MMr affects the pinball market. All I care about is making games people want to buy."
This is and always has been about making money by selling pinballs. Nothing wrong with that BTW.

if I were Rick, I would want to stop speculators too, purely out of self interest. in the long run, the housing industry didn't benefit from the bubble -- if it had been a small, niche, luxury item market like pinball, a bubble like that would have killed it off for good.

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

First time i have seen you admit that the originals are worth more.

i hope people didn't misunderstand -- worth is not the same as cost to construct. building a brand new 1992-era computer would cost a fortune, but it'd still be worthless.

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

If Stern has free capacity on their production line then your math makes a lot of sense. But you are giving no value to the opportunity cost Stern is giving up by tying up a very expensive production line making more remakes vs. new games - or even other remakes that can sell at a higher price.

We have no idea what the numbers look like. For all we know, Stern could be making a killing assembling games and taking a cut while incurring zero design, R&D, licensing, support, marketing, or parts manufacturing costs.

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Amazing to see the poll results so far. How many total LEs were there? Seeing almost 150 having bailed is a huge number.

i realize a lot have gotten out, but i also have no doubt a bunch of the regular MMR haters on here voted "out" whether they were never in to begin with. it'd be nice if polls listed who voted for which option.

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

But they cost a fortune!!!

it is absurd to me that people are acting like MMR's platform isn't a huge upgrade over the original. the WPC / WPC95 is far from flawless even by 1990s standards. burnt connectors, blown fuses, bad transistors or whatever happened all the time. the only advantage the original setup has is that the problems are well known and documented. that beaglebone setup in the backbox will have none of those issues -- virtualized hardware doesnt overheat. that beaglebone will run realiably for decades -- it is proven hardware, not something PPS invented. it's far more reliable tech than that wall of boards ever were, and will be far simpler and far cheaper to replace (i believe it retails for $45) even if it does have a problem.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It sounds to me that you are none too happy with the system in your STTNG.

i'm not hating on Williams -- you know i love them. but come on, these things are not the most reliable pins ever made. granted a lot of that is due to their complexity. but electronics have come a long, long way in 20 years and i'm glad PPS is taking advantage of those advancements.

Quoted from o-din:

The fuses,transistors, and all that will still be used no matter what you think.

Quoted from viper001:

And in fairness there were plenty of fuses and transistors and connectors under the playfield of MMr.

of course, but you know what i mean.

this:

wpc91all.jpgwpc91all.jpg

being condensed to this $45 part:

1278scale_LRG.jpg1278scale_LRG.jpg

is a huge improvement.

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is where you are WRONG. The only part this replaces is the CPU. A fairly trouble free part unless the batteries leak. and that has already been resolved in a number of ways. It is aabout the size of a postage envelope.

i'm no expert, but i believe you are mistaken. it's not just the CPU, it's that board, plus the sound board and lamp matrix as well, right? (edit: also the DMD board)

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Actually, that part in your picture just replaces some of the functionality on the CPU board. The power driver board functionality is under the playfield on one of the several smaller driver boards on MMr. Additionally the power generation is located on the floor of the cabinet in one of 2 new power supplies built for the game.

you are correct about the power driver.

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

I'd guess that there's also a separate audio amp in there as well. The audio out on a Beaglebone wouldn't drive game speakers all that well.

sure, but that would just be an amp, right? all the DCS stuff other than signal amplification is handled by the beaglebone i assume?

#253 9 years ago

i have no doubt there will be issues. it's a brand new platform. but i also believe it's potentially a fundamentally superior design to the old WPC stuff in terms of maintenence, cost, and reliability. i guess we'll find out soon enough where the gremlins are.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 64.99
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-of-initial-mmr-orders-still-in?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.