(Topic ID: 246276)

Poll: Next Mod "I" will work on for an integrated LCD into an existing Stern??

By flynnsbit

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Toppers
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What machine would the pinball community be interested in having a backbox LCD with integrated mode videos, overlays, and scoring to?”

• Game of Thrones: Spike 4 votes
      9%
    • Ghostbusters: Spike 17 votes
      39%
    • Avengers: S.A.M. 0 votes
    • Xmen: S.A.M. 0 votes
    • Star Trek Pro: S.A.M. 3 votes
      7%
    • Iron Man: S.A.M. 10 votes
      23%
    • Spider-Man: S.A.M. 2 votes
      5%
    • None of these -- see my comment 1 vote
      2%
    • Please stop adding Backbox LCDs to Pinball machines! 4 votes
      9%
    • The Walking Dead: S.A.M. 3 votes
      7%

(44 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a08b336b0e8643da6c433b275227c6b3cfedc510 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I've come into a bonus and I am planning my next pinball machine. If anyone follows my original LCD backbox thread they know I am back in it coding and building a backbox system for Tron. Things are progressing nicely and I want to start planning for my next machine. I enjoy playing pinball just as much as I enjoy tinkering and building something new that hasn't been done. The new RaspberryPi 4 came out and it has dual display outputs out of a single board which could make for some interesting options. I am excited about it.

I currently have two routes I could take:

1. The family has been looking for a JJP machine that fits our tastes. We would consider Wizard of Oz (wife factor) or JJPPotC. These already have LCDs so not much to do there but enjoy and play.

2. Pick a late model machine that has a serial interface that could hugely benefit from an LCD with video interaction. The poll includes machines that I would consider to have good IP media content that would be fun to see in pinball format. I am leaning towards a Spike system (something I haven't done) that pre-dates the new Stern LCD machines. What would be interesting to the community here?

For those that don't follow the mod area: See here -- https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/4#post-5042632
    a08b336b0e8643da6c433b275227c6b3cfedc510 (resized).jpga08b336b0e8643da6c433b275227c6b3cfedc510 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

The Walking Dead? Fantastic modes, lots to do and Greg Nicotero’s FX are beyond worthy.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

The Walking Dead? Fantastic modes, lots to do and Greg Nicotero’s FX are beyond worthy.

Ahh, that's a good one, great machine too.

#4 4 years ago

I'm just waiting for you to sell your Tron so that I can figure out where the black markets are to sell a kidney to buy it. :p

#5 4 years ago

Mine is an LE, last of the Sam’s IIRC. Looked up your mod on the other thread. Makes me wish I still had my Tron. If you could do the same for TWD, I can sleep* happy.

* I was going to say die happy but that’s waaay too final.

#6 4 years ago

Not a whole lot of interest here (including the 3 fun police) so that has me thinking I will finish out the Tron implementation and then move on to the servo based mods I was working on. It seems the JJPotC lid box is getting good traction and I could release the version for the Wheelie LightCycles and the Servo controlled Slave 1 in Star Wars. Those are easy implementations. I could release the code and 3d print mods for those for people that want it.

Huh, interesting...

Iron Man seems first, then Ghostbusters.

Thanks everyone.

#7 4 years ago

This sounds awesome. At first I was confused and thought this was a vote for like stern to vault a machine. Maybe that why it is or wasn’t getting traction. I would love to see ghostbusters personally. I’ve had the privilege of playing a tron with your upgrade and I was absolutely blown away. Great footage to pull from and people have always asked for code updates. Huge following. Tons of machines sold. New movie coming out. Ghostbusters seems like the win to me. Plus it’s tied for first place. Whatever you do, I’m sure it’s going to be epic. Thanks for all you do!

#8 4 years ago

TaylorVA does really great replacements. He is on summer hiatus currently but worth waiting for his return.
    I have him make rails for all the machines I restore.

1 year later
    #9 3 years ago

Any update on this!? I’d love to see this done to ghostbusters!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-next-backbox-lcd-modded-machine?hl=vpv1rgin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.