Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by beatmaster
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“More or nicer?”

• Fewer, nicer machines 48 votes
      67%
    • The pinhead with the most machines wins! 24 votes
      33%

(72 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

Given a hypothetical budget of, say, $30,000 (and no, I don't have that, it's just a number!) which would you choose...
    Having say 3 or 4 super nice machines (either new Stern LEs or some BW HEPs, etc) or a dozen average players?

I'm personally out of room with the machines I have, so I was debating about whether it's time to finish the basement to make room for more or just keep it to a smaller collection.

#2 11 years ago

Fewer nicer machines IMO

#3 11 years ago

I used to go with the most I could fit (was 29 machines) and they were mostly players condition..... I have since cut the number in half and now have nice condition games....part of the problem is the more you have, the more you need to work on one...,and not being nice ones, they needed more TLC.... so it was less time to play.

#4 11 years ago

I think a collection should contain pins that are difficult, unique and just plain fun. I have learned to play a pin first before buying if possible-to ensure that you will like it and it will keep your interest. I have one pin in my collection that is being neglected):-White Water. It is my first and my baby-will probably never sale-but is it just taking up space? I love the art-work and look of pin-so I guess I can stare at it. Sometimes having newer titles showing up-pushes other pins down the scale. Also number of pins in a collection-I am finding that the more I get the less time I have to really play and enjoy them all-only so much time in the day. My Iron Man, Tron, X-MEN, Spiderman, Avengers are like crack-I cant get enough.

#5 11 years ago

Most people that get started in the hobby buy whatever they can find (or afford), and slowly as they run out of room they start selling off one or two of those and replace it with something nicer (either more rare, newer year, or just something in nicer condition). As much as I love my early solid states, it would be nice to have a few more DMD's.

#6 11 years ago

It would depend on if you are talking about physical condition or a "better" pin to play.

I am not a big fan of staring at my pins, I like to play them. I would rather have a great, very fun to play pin that looks like it was whipped repeatedly with tire chains than a pristine, boring pin (often about the same price).

By beat up, I should be clear, I still mean fully functional, but a beat up cabinet, bad backglass and a playfield with a good bit of wear does not ruin the game play for me.

That being said, if I have a beat up machine that I really like, it tends to slowly get cleaned up the longer I own it, so in time it will tend to become a presentable machine.

#7 11 years ago

Quality not quantity here. Slowly keep adding those quality pins every year or so.

#8 11 years ago

I have everything from fully restored games to routed(but very well taken care of) games. I don't play the nicer ones any more than the routed ones. For 30k you could have a nice mix to play with and then if one really gets a hold of you put the sweat and time in to make it a very nice game.

#9 11 years ago

Quality over quantity, plus variety. Less to maintain and more time to spend playing each one. I have 5 + WOZ coming and that's plenty for when people are over too.

#10 11 years ago

i like variety, but i think 12 is my max.

#11 11 years ago

Pristine machines are a wonderful thing. But, if I had to choose between three or four collector quality or ten or more average shape but 100% functional pins, then I would choose having more pins to play. I will likely always be more of a player than just a collector.

#12 11 years ago

I don;t care anything aboot restored machines at all. I'd get some nice machines for what I could afford, and what I wanted. I wouldn't get a bunch of games just to have a bunch of games though.
    If I have a choice between a perfectly good playing version of a machine that has faded cab art, I'd rather have that in my house and a couple grands in my pocket

#13 11 years ago

I would say quality of gameplay (not cosmetics) is the most important factor. I have sold less complex and interesting games and gravitated toward games that have more to offer. The games' condition, assuming they are all playable, is not a significant variable.

#14 11 years ago

I would say it depends on how many you have. I'd take 8 players games over 2 nicely restored ones but I'd take 8 restored over 16 players if you catch my drift.

#15 11 years ago

I'd rather have a decent variety of player's machines. Again, everyone's idea of player's machine is different. I can't stand a beat up playfield or translite. However, cabinet isn't a big deal. To me, if a game hits about a 7.5/10 scale and plays 100%, then I'm pretty happy.

#16 11 years ago

Personally, I like to have a wide variety of machines to play.
    The more the better. Having 'minty' (sic) games is not a priority.
    Steve

#17 11 years ago

With 30,000 you could do both. There are less than 6 tittles that consistently go for more than $10k. So why not 2 titles at $7000, 1 at $4000 and 4 at $3000. You could have a pretty nice collection and one that wouldn't stagnate as well. Concern with a $30,000 collection of 3 or 4 Pins is that it'll grow stale. I'm one that believes no matter how good a game is that without enough other pins to supplement it, you'll tire of it. When you've got 3 $10,000 pins they can be pretty tough to find a buyer for. Or at least much more so than 10 $3000 pins. Much easier to find someone with $3k in their pocket to spend on something whimsical.

#18 11 years ago

quality over quantity..

#19 11 years ago

I would think that there are as many different answers to this as there are people reading it. It's all about what would make the individual happy. Like new machines ? Buy new ones. Want a lot of variety ? Check out "Bang for your buck".

#20 11 years ago

I'm in the quantity phase at the moment but I see both way. I only have real room for my 4 games at the moment (although I never turn down a bargain) and the only collectors quality game is my HUO RBION (I wanted a NIB stern but it's 6k for a pro here so it was the next best thing). I can see the allure of having all great pins but for me as long as they play nice and are reliable I'm not going to be bothered by a few broken plastics/beaten cab or minor playfield wear. If pins were cheaper (maybe closer to most u.s prices) I might change my mind

#21 11 years ago

Variety.

A few NIBs (Predator, Nemo) will be a nice complement to my current lineup.
    I may trade later some of my current pins for LOTR and ACDC.

#22 11 years ago

I think they all start to feel a bit the same around 20 titles or so.

#23 11 years ago

Fun! That should be your guide. If you have fun playing it, keep it around. If it isn't fun, out the door it goes. If that is a really nice machine, so be it. If it is a worn out beater that is buckets of fun to play, play it! Build your collection around games you consider fun and it will be perfect.

#24 11 years ago

I think most people start out buying everything they can get there hands on. Then after time its starts to be more of a collection than a random game room. But I have some games that are flops smb Freddy but my wife won't sell them because she likes them.

#25 11 years ago

Depends on how much space you have. But for $30k I would rather have 5-10 nice A/B pins than 15-30 C/D ones.

#26 11 years ago

the nicer way, i realised that its nice to have a lot of pins but when you only play half of them (and i'm generous) what the point?
    or too many projects, let's say you find a pin for $800 -$1000. in the end, new playfield, plastic, cabinet job and all the rest that goes with it and if you are like me you want it perfect, will cost me $3k+. if i do that twice for the same price i can get an NIB or something really nice.

i'm not saying i won't have old games or projects, cause lets face it it's part of the hobby, i'm just more selective.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-more-pins-or-fewer-nicer-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.