Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Least favorite cost-saving measure in pinball”

• Fake knocker 72 votes
      23%
    • Virtual kickback 16 votes
      5%
    • Mono-targets 54 votes
      17%
    • Subway removal 84 votes
      27%
    • Other 18 votes
      6%
    • Snaps lockdown 9 votes
      3%
    • On/Off Switch in Head 56 votes
      18%

(309 votes)

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

If you could reverse just one cost-saving pinball trend, which would it be?

Leaving out support pegs as they have been vanquished. I believe poor cabinet corner brackets have been reversed as well?

#2 5 years ago

Stern

#3 5 years ago

SMT node boards.

#4 5 years ago

DAMMIT! Beat me by 3 minutes! Bastard!

#6 5 years ago

Snaps for lockdown bar
    Screws for securing backbox
    On/Off switch moved to the backbox
    Microfine wire harnesses
    Virtual Monkeys
    Wood screws instead of bolts and tnuts
    Zero innovation on hiding the wiring on playfields
    Spotlights
    Using plastic substrates instead of 3d sculpts(AC/DC cannon for example)
    Tiny lcd screens
    Topics limiting the response to a single item

#7 5 years ago

Buying a Pro.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

#9 5 years ago

Added options for lockdown snaps and on/off switch in the head.

#10 5 years ago

Plastic aprons.

#11 5 years ago

Interesting response so far - I suppose it makes sense that the disappearing subway would be in the lead, as it has had the greatest impact on gameplay and playfield design/depth/variation.

#12 5 years ago

All plastic ball returns. A combo of plastic turns and wireforms like MM/MMR is the best IMHO.

#13 5 years ago

Virtual ball locks.

#14 5 years ago

More of a preference thing than a cost-saving trend (as both have existed for a long time, and both continue to exist), but non-physical ball-locks.

#15 5 years ago

No one else HATES the on/off switch moved to the head?!

#16 5 years ago

Snaps for lockdown bar I can't stand them. Also don't like node boards, removal of subways, and physical ball locks. Also not a fan of the plastic aprons.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

No one else HATES the on/off switch moved to the head?!

I definitely do, but I don't know that I hate it more than virtual locks lol

#18 5 years ago

If I allowed multiple picks everyone would pick pretty much everything, right?

#19 5 years ago

Leaving out the inside cab corner brackets.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Leaving out the inside cab corner brackets.

Correct me if I'm wrong but decent brackets are back in there, right?

#21 5 years ago

Cheap ass playfield supports

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Cheap ass playfield supports

This one does suck. Good thing they added it back in for all models and games since IMDN.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

This one does suck. Good thing they added it back in for all models and games since IMDN.

People hated them and they changed back. Change is possible!

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

If I allowed multiple picks everyone would pick pretty much everything, right?

AKA Stern.

#25 5 years ago

Can we just combine this with all the Stern Club threads?

#26 5 years ago

Lockdown snaps are an improvement imo

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Correct me if I'm wrong but decent brackets are back in there, right?

On Sterns now, yes, although I cannot speak for all of the new machines..

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Lockdown snaps are an improvement imo

Kinda agree with this one.

#29 5 years ago

The mono speakers in some Sega games are annoying.

#30 5 years ago

The virtual elimination of drop targets

#31 5 years ago

Though completely aesthetic I also hate, H-A-T-E, these paper thin translites in place of printed backglasses, especially with crazy detailed art when ripples are present.

Thinking GB may be the worst offender. That BG is so darn busy, but a few waves in the paper can make it look like a poster hung loosely on a kids wall.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Snaps for lockdown bar I can't stand them. Also don't like nose boards removal of subways and physical ball locks.also not a fan of the plastic aprons.

I have to differ with you on this one. I actually like the snaps better than the Williams style lock bar with the lever - they can be a pita.

#33 5 years ago

That horrid "fake knocker" sound is an abomination. Especially having come from owning a TAF where the knocker was integrated so awesomely in a mode. I seriously thought machines were breaking the first few times I heard that noise on location. Could they have come up with a worse noise if they tried?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Snaps for lockdown bar
    Screws for securing backbox
    On/Off switch moved to the backbox
    Microfine wire harnesses
    Virtual Monkeys
    Wood screws instead of bolts and tnuts
    Zero innovation on hiding the wiring on playfields
    Spotlights
    Using plastic substrates instead of 3d sculpts(AC/DC cannon for example)
    Tiny lcd screens

Lockdown bar latches are more secure and firm.

Screws for backbox also more secure and safer.

I agree the power button is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Stern thrives on their games being easy to maintain for pinball. So with that, there’s sacrifice. Before I had kids, I didn’t mind working on used older games that I had. Nowadays, I welcome their design innovations to keep me playing pinball longer rather than being under the hood tweaking. So by those standards, some things get sacrificed. But for a couple thousand more dollars we can buy a JJP game and be locked into doing maintenance + tweaking every other night. Good thing we have options. And yes, I was kidding a little, I love JJP games, I just like playing them more than tweaking them

#35 5 years ago

I voted for the removal of subways from games, but I also feel like that ones is the most understandable since there is the cost of the plastic, switches, VUK, chutes, etc.

#36 5 years ago

No manual or schematics included...

#37 5 years ago

The knocker seems like the lowest-hanging fruit in terms of issues/failure rate (low), cost (moderate) and opinion (everyone hates it, many hate it more than ANYTHING ELSE). At least, I hope they consider adding a knocker to the LE or Prem/LE options as a differentiator.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

That horrid "fake knocker" sound is an abomination. Especially having come from owning a TAF where the knocker was integrated so awesomely in a mode. I seriously thought machines were breaking the first few times I heard that noise on location. Could they have come up with a worse noise if they tried?

I really don't understand why Stern does not use a better sound for the fake knocker. I mean you could produce a callout or play a recorded sound of a real knocker. You could even customize the sound depending on theme for each game. Instead you have a god awful screech sound that anyone that does not know what it is turns in horror wondering what just died.

#39 5 years ago

Particle board

#40 5 years ago

It would be interesting to see the manufacturers true cost of each of the listed items. I imagine it would make you sick given what we are paying.

That being said, I'm going mono-targets for the "win" for me. So. Damned. Awful.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Virtual Monkeys

band name i call it.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

The virtual elimination of drop targets

The "mono target" is complete garbage.

Stern's next cost saving measure: One Gigantic Pop Bumper! (instead of three) to go with the bull**** "mono target".
    ......And then one slingshot ......and then one flipper. Lol.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

The "mono target" is complete garbage.
    Stern's next cost saving measure: One Gigantic Pop Bumper! (instead of three) to go with the bull**** "mono target".
    ......And then one slingshot ......and then one flipper. Lol.

......and then one flipper button relocated to the front of the coin door.
    The name of Stern's new release will be called "Dickslapper". Lol.

#44 5 years ago

How about a Magna Save where you have almost zero chance of using because the button is on the lockbar about 50 feet from your hand. You've got less than 1 second to decide to use it. I saw GOOD players missing it all night last night.

#45 5 years ago

Those partitioned DMDs in little 64 (?) square blocks instead of one smooth DMD. Yes, I can tell...

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Fiberboard cabinets

Seriously, Sterns new cabinets (I'm a Stern fanboy) scare the piss out of me when it comes to nudging and moving the pins around. Paranoid I'm going to see to a front corner split.

#47 5 years ago

Cost cutting on cabinet materials (using cheaper wood), placing power button in head of cabinet, zero or minimal cabinet corner support brackets. There's no excuse for these items at today's prices and Stern does all 3.

For JJP it's no longer offering a high quality powder coat on their LE games. You now have to pay extra for a CE to get the same type of powder coat quality offered on WOZ ECLE and Hobbit LE. BS.

The only cost cutting measure I have liked is Sterns's new lockdown bar design. The traditional Bally William's lockdown bar mech is just a pain in the ass at times. Securing a lockdown bar should be easy and Sterns new mech does just that.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For JJP it's no longer offering a high quality power coat on their LE games. You now have to pay extra for a CE to get the same type of power coat quality offered on WOZ ECLE and Hobbit LE. BS.

I think it's called "powdercoat."

I'm a little surprised JJP Doesn't use lollopop rails considering how fragile the cab decals are. Even Stern springs for those!!

#49 5 years ago

Poor quality plywood for playfields.

Leads to lots of discussions on dimpling.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it's called "powdercoat."
    I'm a little surprised JJP Doesn't use lollopop rails considering how fragile the cab decals are. Even Stern springs for those!!

Lol, damn auto correct. Power coat! New marketing term.

Yeah agree, that would be nice and should come standard.

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-least-favorite-cost-saving-measure-in-pinball?hl=pduffy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.